Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Byzantine Empire expands overseas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Sun Tzu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sun Tzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Byzantine Empire expands overseas
    Posted: 14-Aug-2008 at 01:30
I am also sure that the Byzantine empire would like to have control of Jerusalem as well, and retake Anatolia and possibly all of the Middle East. It would have been really interesting. They could have even eclipsed the British empire, wow I never thought about this ever happening.
Sun Tzu

All warfare is based on deception - Sun Tzu
Donasin View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Donasin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2008 at 06:14
What I think would be fascinating is if the Byzantine explorers saw the Aztecs (or Incas) as the American version of Rome. If we say that the ruling Aztec would still believe the explorers to be gods then there may have been a chance of the Aztecs peacefully becoming a vassal.

The explorer could be made a saint and thus have no quarrels with the church.
EmperorTrebizond View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote EmperorTrebizond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2008 at 03:34
The Byzantine Empire would more likely be wanting to reconquer it's Anatolian and Balkan heartlands rather then going on wild mercantilist adventures in the New World. Even if it did avoid the 4th crusade and the fragmentation of the Empire, it would be exhaustive enough just survive in it's strategic position, no matter how strong. Perhaps the Eastern Romans could have survived until the Modern Age, eventually evolving into a Democratic Hellenic Nation-State.
May the Empire of Constantine rise again...
Goblin Monkey View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Goblin Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2008 at 14:48
I can see it now.They would look for open land .Eastern U.S would be colonized by Britan and they couldnt fight them,the Carribean and Mexico was Spanish, but BRAZIL!The Portugese fleat was one of the best but there land army, not so good.The Byzantines would catch them by suprise and raid there cities.Then they would set up armed harbors to prepare for a counter attack by sea.Next they would plunge into the un-conqured Incan Empire.They would clime the Mountains and conquere Machu Pichu!Later they would expand south being sure not to fight the Spanish empire in Northern, South America.In Europe there would be a Byzantine Portugese Conflict due to the lives lost in Brazil.A Medditeranian fleet battle I presume.The Portuges would win and then attack Constantinople.This would be around 1600.The Byzantine Empire would fall to Portugal.They would conqure all there American Territories and all ther Middle Eastern land as well.By this time Byzantine would of toook back Sicily and Egypt and would of took over in the Arbian penninsula.The Portugese Empire would conqure all this and prosper!
Is it just me or did your mom just wink at me?
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2008 at 21:53
Count Belisarius, if you would like to critique Goblin Monkey's analysis of the new Byzantium and its interaction with Portugal in the context of the hypothetical situation, please do.  Otherwise, there is no need to go back and forth with these little one-liners.  Thanks.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2010 at 19:20
Byzantine Emperor, wrote (a long time ago);

". Where would the Empire choose to expand to first, the Americas or the East Indies?"

It should be reasonable to assume that this Empire would have to expand to the East! It could not ever be able to fight itself out of the Med.!

Thus, it would have to rebuild or build the Suez canal, and move towards India and S.E. Asia!, at least by sea! But, could it do so, and still defend its Western approaches?

IN my opinion, it would have been decapitated no matter what!
Regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456