Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Byzantine Empire expands overseas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Byzantine Empire expands overseas
    Posted: 29-May-2005 at 01:35

Disclaimer: First of all, I don't want this to turn into a big flame war divided along nationalistic lines.  Please don't take this as an invitation for it, thanks!  Second of all, I know this is far-fetched, that is why I posted it in the Historical Amusement forum.  Please take a moment and play along, it is interesting to theorize and play "what-if" games sometimes!

Scenario: In an ideal situation, the Western powers of Europe rally to the defense of Constantine XI Palaeologus and the city of Constantinople and launch a crusade which breaks the siege of Constantinople by Mehmed II and the Ottoman Turks in 1453.  Subsequently the Ottomans are driven out of Anatolia and back into Asia by a Byzantine mercenary and crusader army.  Giving up on the conquest of Constantinople for the moment (bear with me here ), the Ottomans turn further east for expansion.  By 1480 the Byzantines manage to take back Anatolia, the Balkans, and some Aegean islands.  Columbus discovers America in 1492 and Europe continues to expand into the Americas on into the early 1500s. 

Topic for discussion: In an ideal situation, the Byzantine Empire (still Orthodox in religion and under the Palaeologan dynasty) has rebuilt its infrastructure, economy, and military enough on its own (not funded by outside benefactors) to become a contender with Spain, England, and Portugal for overseas expansion.  Considering the Empire can build ships that can withstand the rigours of high seas travel and can sustain a defensible colony abroad:

1. Where would the Empire choose to expand to first, the Americas or the East Indies?

2. Would the Byzantines utilize new technology such as gunpowder weapons / firearms in its conquests?

3. Looking at other colonial powers as a model, how would the Byzantines treat the native populations and how would the natives view the Byzantines -- differently than the Spanish?

4. Describe what a late 16th and 17th century Byzantine colony might look like and how it would develop in its new location with limited communication with Byzantine civilization in the old empire back home.

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2005 at 06:42
Well, I thought about it long and hard, if I should play along, but I just can't do it.
For me, a main part of my fascination with the Byzantine Empire is its definite and heroic end, in 1453, and the melancholy of its long centuries of decline, and seen from this aspect, I'm rather glad it didn't carry on any longer.
And I can't just see any possible scenario, that would have allowed for it to continue. Even if the fall in 1453 could have been avoided by any support from the West, which is an absurd possibility at the least, the socially, economically and militarily exhausted old Empire would have had no strenght and stamina to much longer withstand the vigour and dynamic of the relatively young Ottomans.
Culturally it continued and still does, through the strenth of its religion and the intellectual and artistic expression of it and that's another aspect of its fascinating history.
Otherwise, I just can't see it! Sorry, it's just a little bit too fantastic!

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2005 at 13:11

Originally posted by Komnenos

For me, a main part of my fascination with the Byzantine Empire is its definite and heroic end, in 1453, and the melancholy of its long centuries of decline, and seen from this aspect, I'm rather glad it didn't carry on any longer.

Culturally it continued and still does, through the strenth of its religion and the intellectual and artistic expression of it and that's another aspect of its fascinating history.

Otherwise, I just can't see it! Sorry, it's just a little bit too fantastic!

Komnenos, I definitely agree with your observations on the Late Byzantine period; this is the period, especially the siege of 1453, that fascinates me the most.  I understand if it seems a little too 'fantastic', this is exactly why I posted it in Historical Amusements!

Anyways, if anyone else would like to 'play along' in this experiment, please, by all means, do!

Jazz View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Jazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2005 at 01:59
Hard to say - for this to have been feasible, the reversal of fortunes for the East Roman Empire should have started back in the late 12th century after the death of Maneul Komnenos and the decline that immediately set in (including the absured 4th Crusade..)....Or if you want to go back further, what if the collapse of Roman administration in Anatolia in the immediate years after Manzikert had not happened....

I'd still have to think about this though....
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2005 at 06:07
It's quite impossible
"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2005 at 10:48

Originally posted by aknc

It's quite impossible

Um, I know this and stated so a couple of times in the DISCLAIMER and my preface to the scenario!  This is a game of historical "what-if" not restating the obvious of what happened.

Originally posted by Jazz

I'd still have to think about this though....

Please do think about it and return.  I have some things I have come up with if this were to happen, but I am waiting fro other people to post.  Let's keep this thread alive!

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2005 at 12:59

Here is what I would add in reply to these questions:

1. I think it would have been interesting if the Byzantines had established a colony in North America, maybe around Texas or Louisiana.  I might suggest a name, such as Colonia Palaiologina.  As some of you may know, there was a large Greek settlement in northeastern Florida, established around 1740 in what would become the city of New Smyrna.

2.  In the scenario, since the Byzantines have recovered and have built their economy up, they can now invest in new technology.  They might have Western gun casters teach Greeks the art of cannon and firearms making.  Some gun foundries might be set up in Constantinople and then the technology could be transferred to the new world colony.  I wonder if the Greek cannon-making would develop differently than that of the Ottomans or Western Europe, once they have harnessed the technology?  I wonder what a 16th-17th century Byzantine soldier might have looked like in terms of armor and weaponry...

3.  I really think the Byzantines would not have converted the native populations by the sword.  They would have undoubtedly established a church hierarchy in America, and a system of monasteries.  It would be interesting to think of how Byzantine culture and Aztec, Mayan, Iroqois culture might have clashed or have mixed.  A Greek Orthodox tribe of Aztecs might be quite interesting!

4. First of all, what might the defensive line of walls around a 16th-17th century colony look like?  The Theodosian Walls would be almost 1400 years old by then; would the walls have a distinctive "Palaeologan" design to them (whatever that might be ) or would builders seek to use the Theodosian walls as a template?  I would assume that the climate in southern Texas and Louisiana is similar to Mediterranean climate, so the houses in the colony would probably be flat-roofed and two stories tall.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2005 at 23:39
Originally posted by esadbodur

they have farmer roots from rome (irrigation or other technics) so they would use the new products like tobacco or cacao more effectively instead of slaying natives for gold.

also think they would invade southern america instead of cold north.

The idea of the Byzantines growing tobacco and cocoa is interesting.  The Greek colony in 18th century Florida that I mentioned grew sugarcane as a cash crop.  To see a big Roman style aqueduct for irragation out in the jungles of Central / South America would be pretty amazing!

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2005 at 20:07

Here is some more insight into how the Byzantine Empire might finance both its colonies and the mustering of a new military force:

Byzantium unfortunately saw the bad side of the developing capitalist furvor in the Italian Republics, most specifically in Venice. During the Comneni period and even more after the disaster of the Fourth Crusade, the Italians gradually expanded their merchant community in Constantinople and would eventually latch on to the Byzantine economy. Native Byzantine merchants and businessmen were driven out of business by the Italian usurpation of the economy.

In my scenario, it would be interesting to see the Byzantines raise a native army once again, from Themes or Pronoiars established in new and reconquered territory, and drive the Italians out of Constantinople. Byzantium would still trade with the Italians, no doubt. With good management and the adoption of more sophisticated banking techniques (learned from the Italians, perhaps ), the Byzantine Empire might not make the same financial mistakes that the Spanish made. Who knows, with a revitalized economy, Byzantium might find something in the New World, or at home, that it could produce and export.

strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2005 at 20:10

I don't think they could make it to the Atlantic, perhaps if a war with Spain or some Italian cities, they would block Byzantine passage to New World.

Perhaps if it they could colonize the New World(Now this is Wayy out there), then maybe they would be speaking Greek in the new world.

http://theforgotten.org/intro.html
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2005 at 20:22
Originally posted by strategos

Perhaps if it they could colonize the New World(Now this is Wayy out there), then maybe they would be speaking Greek in the new world.

Yes, this is what I have been getting at with this topic!  Please elaborate on your statement.  Is there anything in my previous posts in this topic that you think is particularly interesting?  Please feel free to comment on my posts and add anything new that you might think of.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2005 at 06:39
if ever the byzantines recover the whole eastern empire, maybe they wouldn't bother going west they'd just go east and take india and go head to head with china.
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2005 at 11:42
Honestly, I don't think the Byzantine Empire would have expanded that much oversea. They would have formed a single country with Greece for sure after eventually a democratic revolution.

In the colonies, they couldn't really get a lot. Great Britain, Spain, Portugal, France, the Netherlands, Belgium, Sweden, Germany and Russian were all candidate already so maybe they could have got some Swedish or German stuff instead but not that much.

The interesting question is rather, what would they have do in Europe? I doubt they would have conquered Anatolia, they would have rather fought Austria IMO or tried to expand up to Jerusalem following the coast. In WWI, I think they would have fought on the French/British/Russian/Italian side more than of the German/Austrian side, at the opposite of the Ottoman Empire.

Finally, in WWII they would have took the allied side IMO. The question, would they have really changed the balance of those conflict? Hard to tell, but that's possible.

And I have no doubt they would have joined the European Union already.
Vae victis!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2005 at 15:04

What if the Byzanthines conquered and settled whole Turkestan region from eastern Caspian steppes to western Mongolia? They would conquer Kara Balasagun, Tashkent and Hellenisize western steppes. That is a horrible nightmare...

Just kiddin' you know...

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2005 at 00:36

Well I will play along. Such a scenario is impossible but let's just do it for the sake of being imaginative. I doubt they would have much initiative to begin with as the Italian and Spanish are in the way of travelling to the New World. But IF they did I would say they would probably try and conquer India rather than the Americas. Byzantium always had a heavy drain on its economy because of the luxury products from the East it had to buy through Middle Eastern middlemen. They would have struck out for India because it was economically so profitable for them and besides that the Greeks had a historical tradition of conquest in that area of the world due to Alexander.

Again it is a pretty impossible sort of scenario but I reckon they would have chosen India over the Americas. If they did manage to recover like that though they would never be short of enemies such as Italians, Spaniards, Turks, Kurds, Austro-Hungarians etc. It seems more likely they would have concentrated on expansion within their own area.

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2005 at 07:35
Okay, I admit defeat, cause I can no longer resist to play along.

I think the natural and more plausible direction for a hypothetical Byzantine expansion would have been the East.
As competitors for the Americas, a Byzantine Empire would have been hostage to the nations that control the Straits of Gibraltar, and an expansion of the Byzantine Empire to the shores of Northern Africa, is too fantastic to seriously consider, even in an alternative history scenario.

So, to the East, and here the possibilities seem not so fanciful.
Lets presume the Byzantine had established a continuous domination over Mesopotamia, or over the shores of the Persian Gulf, long enough to establish bases for an Eastern fleet, that with the traditional seafaring skills of the Byzantines ( and with Greek fire ) could have become the dominant sea-power of the Indian Ocean.
The Byzantine Empire could have tried to control the spice trade from source of production to the centres of trade in Europe, for example, with ports both on the Indian Ocean and the Mediterranean and a reliable land route in between, a far shorter route into the heart of Europe than the troublesome way around Africa, thus ruining Venice and Genoa and revenging 1204.
Trade posts could have been established in India, the Indonesian archipelagos, and these Trade posts could have grown into their hinterland and into colonies.
Competition from the Portuguese, or later the English and Dutch, could have easily been fended off, due to the much shorter supply and command lines.
So, the Byzantines would have carved out a South-East Asian colonial Empire, very much as the British or Dutch did, ...
....and one day a curios and adventurous Byzantine vessel would have stumbled upon an enormous island, sparsely populated with strange animals and a people , technologically so backward that they could easily have been conquered.
And so a whole new continent would have become Byzantine, ...and its settlers would even today rather discuss the divine nature of the Son and defy the authority of the Bishop of Rome over a nice BBQ, than lie on the beach, drink Fosters and beat the English at cricket.

Edited by Komnenos
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2005 at 21:16

Okay, I admit defeat, cause I can no longer resist to play along.

I think the natural and more plausible direction for a hypothetical Byzantine expansion would have been the East.
As competitors for the Americas, a Byzantine Empire would have been hostage to the nations that control the Straits of Gibraltar, and an expansion of the Byzantine Empire to the shores of Northern Africa, is too fantastic to seriously consider, even in an alternative history scenario.

So, to the East, and here the possibilities seem not so fanciful.
Lets presume the Byzantine had established a continuous domination over Mesopotamia, or over the shores of the Persian Gulf, long enough to establish bases for an Eastern fleet, that with the traditional seafaring skills of the Byzantines ( and with Greek fire ) could have become the dominant sea-power of the Indian Ocean.
The Byzantine Empire could have tried to control the spice trade from source of production to the centres of trade in Europe, for example, with ports both on the Indian Ocean and the Mediterranean and a reliable land route in between, a far shorter route into the heart of Europe than the troublesome way around Africa, thus ruining Venice and Genoa and revenging 1204.
Trade posts could have been established in India, the Indonesian archipelagos, and these Trade posts could have grown into their hinterland and into colonies.
Competition from the Portuguese, or later the English and Dutch, could have easily been fended off, due to the much shorter supply and command lines.
So, the Byzantines would have carved out a South-East Asian colonial Empire, very much as the British or Dutch did, ...

Komnenos,

This is very interesting, thanks for finally playing!  If I am recalling this correctly, the Romance of Alexander was an important work of literature in the late Byzantine period, maybe the Byzantines would be inspired by this to continue with the conquest of India, where Alexander the Great left off!  The new Byzantine colonies having been established, I wonder what kind of goods they would be trading, from their Asian archipelago ports?

Now that the Byzantines have a revitalized economy and are not bankrupt, what would a 16th-17th century Byzantine army look like in terms of uniforms and weapons?  I wonder if they would keep any elements from their classical past, or would they adopt the pikeman and arquebusier format of the rest of Western Europe?  That would be interesting if the cataphract or clibanophorus would still be used, only now armored with steel plate instead of heavy chain and lamellar armor.

Also, how would transplanted Palaeologan Byzantine culture effect the indigenous Asian colonies?  Would it develop differently in the archipelagos?

And so a whole new continent would have become Byzantine, ...and its settlers would even today rather discuss the divine nature of the Son and defy the authority of the Bishop of Rome over a nice BBQ, than lie on the beach, drink Fosters and beat the English at cricket.

That...was...AWESOME! 

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2005 at 06:40
Originally posted by Byzantine Emperor

Also, how would transplanted Palaeologan Byzantine culture effect the indigenous Asian colonies? Would it develop differently in the archipelagos?

Lets speculate a bit further, just a few random thoughts.
To the question of religion, would the Byzantines have been successful in proselyting the indigenous population of South-Eastern Asia?
Perhaps the more contemplative and mystic nature of the Greek Orthodox Church would have translated easier into South-Eastern cultures than the more profane and sober nature of the protestant English or Dutch whose religious beliefs left no great impact on the South-Asian population.
The abundance and importance of monasteries, the prominent role that monks played in Byzantine culture, could have struck a cord with a people with a similar organised religious structure, namely in the Buddhist societies of SE Asia.
Especially the late Byzantine Hesychast tradition, a deeply mystic movement of the 14th century, has parallels in the content and the form of its meditative contemplation with Eastern mysticism.

Would the Byzantines have converted by the sword? The Byzantine Empire had a tradition of religious persecution, but that was mainly directed against Christian heretic sects, the Paulicians and other dualist movements, but also a tradition of successful conversions, mainly of Slavic people, St Cyrill and Methodius come to mind here. Im not certain how they would have reacted to a people that would resist any religious advances. But as good traders, business sense might have played the most important role, and the Byzantines might been tolerant to non Christian religions as long as it wouldnt interfere with their commercial interests.

Im not certain if in the 16th or 17th century the Nestorian church was still existent in India or anywhere else, or indeed had left any traces, but if, then there would have been contact made already with an Eastern variation of Christianity and the ground prepared for missionary activities.

A deeply theocratic society, where religion and political structures were inseparably entwined, would have used religion as the key for a dissemination of its entire culture into the colonised territories and might have easier succeeded to establish a distinct Asian-Byzantine culture than other European competitors.

As for Byzantine Australia, here a new continent could have been shaped entirely in Byzantine fashion, with no resistance against the domination of Byzantine culture offered.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2005 at 00:01

Perhaps the more contemplative and mystic nature of the Greek Orthodox Church would have translated easier into South-Eastern cultures than the more profane and sober nature of the protestant English or Dutch whose religious beliefs left no great impact on the South-Asian population.
The abundance and importance of monasteries, the prominent role that monks played in Byzantine culture, could have struck a cord with a people with a similar organised religious structure, namely in the Buddhist societies of SE Asia.

Especially the late Byzantine Hesychast tradition, a deeply mystic movement of the 14th century, has parallels in the content and the form of its meditative contemplation with Eastern mysticism.

Excellent points!  

I like your point about the Byzantines concentrating religious persecution more upon Christian heretics than the non-Christians.  The only non-Christians, besides Jews, that the Byzantines had contact with were the Muslim Arabs and Turks.  I think the hostility that the Byzantines had towards Islam and the Turks was borne mainly out of the political and military circumstances of the time.  In other words the Byzantines saw Islam as an oppressive non-Christian religion, embodied in the military and political enemy Turks.  Yes they thought the Turks were "infidels", but there are instances of the two living side by side, i.e. Digenes Akritas and the frontier lords of Asia Minor.  It would be interesting to see how the SE Asians and the Byzantines reacted to each other's religions.

Edited by Byzantine Emperor
Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2005 at 20:17
While this is already an interesting topic, perhaps we can extrapolate and make it more interesting.

Perhaps the Byzantine Empire did expand into southeast Asia, Australia, and perhaps even farther into the Pacific to the western Americas. How long would this empire last. Would the peoples be so accepting of the Byzantines that they would never seek independence, or would they be so exploited by Byzantine political and economic policy that they would eventually rebel or welcome foreign invasion with open arms (as was done in Egypt and the Levant)?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>