Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Byzantine Empire expands overseas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Byzantine Empire expands overseas
    Posted: 12-Jan-2010 at 19:20
Byzantine Emperor, wrote (a long time ago);

". Where would the Empire choose to expand to first, the Americas or the East Indies?"

It should be reasonable to assume that this Empire would have to expand to the East! It could not ever be able to fight itself out of the Med.!

Thus, it would have to rebuild or build the Suez canal, and move towards India and S.E. Asia!, at least by sea! But, could it do so, and still defend its Western approaches?

IN my opinion, it would have been decapitated no matter what!
Regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2008 at 21:53
Count Belisarius, if you would like to critique Goblin Monkey's analysis of the new Byzantium and its interaction with Portugal in the context of the hypothetical situation, please do.  Otherwise, there is no need to go back and forth with these little one-liners.  Thanks.
Goblin Monkey View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Goblin Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2008 at 14:48
I can see it now.They would look for open land .Eastern U.S would be colonized by Britan and they couldnt fight them,the Carribean and Mexico was Spanish, but BRAZIL!The Portugese fleat was one of the best but there land army, not so good.The Byzantines would catch them by suprise and raid there cities.Then they would set up armed harbors to prepare for a counter attack by sea.Next they would plunge into the un-conqured Incan Empire.They would clime the Mountains and conquere Machu Pichu!Later they would expand south being sure not to fight the Spanish empire in Northern, South America.In Europe there would be a Byzantine Portugese Conflict due to the lives lost in Brazil.A Medditeranian fleet battle I presume.The Portuges would win and then attack Constantinople.This would be around 1600.The Byzantine Empire would fall to Portugal.They would conqure all there American Territories and all ther Middle Eastern land as well.By this time Byzantine would of toook back Sicily and Egypt and would of took over in the Arbian penninsula.The Portugese Empire would conqure all this and prosper!
Is it just me or did your mom just wink at me?
EmperorTrebizond View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote EmperorTrebizond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2008 at 03:34
The Byzantine Empire would more likely be wanting to reconquer it's Anatolian and Balkan heartlands rather then going on wild mercantilist adventures in the New World. Even if it did avoid the 4th crusade and the fragmentation of the Empire, it would be exhaustive enough just survive in it's strategic position, no matter how strong. Perhaps the Eastern Romans could have survived until the Modern Age, eventually evolving into a Democratic Hellenic Nation-State.
May the Empire of Constantine rise again...
Donasin View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Donasin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2008 at 06:14
What I think would be fascinating is if the Byzantine explorers saw the Aztecs (or Incas) as the American version of Rome. If we say that the ruling Aztec would still believe the explorers to be gods then there may have been a chance of the Aztecs peacefully becoming a vassal.

The explorer could be made a saint and thus have no quarrels with the church.
Sun Tzu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Sun Tzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2008 at 01:30
I am also sure that the Byzantine empire would like to have control of Jerusalem as well, and retake Anatolia and possibly all of the Middle East. It would have been really interesting. They could have even eclipsed the British empire, wow I never thought about this ever happening.
Sun Tzu

All warfare is based on deception - Sun Tzu
Count Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2008 at 04:15
I think what the Byzantines would need to do would be to reconquer the strait of gibralter and retake egypt then they could expand into north and south america and into india and from india they could expand into austalia, hawaii, and what is today california. And their army and navy would need to completely revamped perhaps if they met the aztecs and the aztecs worshipped them as gods (Like they did Cortez) they could gradually convert them  to Christianity, thus gaining the aztec's two million man army and give them western weapons and armor and train them in western tactics and they could use the polynesians for naval personnel (provided these people could survive the diseases the explorers bought with them) an army like that would be pretty cool, aztec pikemen, polynesian marines, Klibanophoroi in armor of proof with gunpowder weapons, skutatoi, greek fire, trebuchts, arqubusiers, anti personnel cannons and ballistae, Aborigine boomerangers, siege guns, and you could have staff slingers with grenades in their sling's they touch off the fuse and release the grenade from the sling it lands among the enemy and  BOOM!!!. Suppose the byzantines discovered steam engines, they could have massive steam propelled armored cannons on wheels, the first tank, and they give those to the klibanophoroi thus assuring the survival of the cataphract.          

Defenders of Ulthuan, Cult of Asuryan (57 Kills and counting)

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2007 at 22:43
Sorry to insist, but the Bizantine Empire really expanded to the Americas, using Russia as its carrier Big%20smile

Russian Orthodox Church in Canadian Prairies:

Alaska

Athanasios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2007 at 22:13
Hey , Herschel, did you use GIS for this masterpiece?

Herschel View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Herschel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2007 at 00:04
Thanks for the reply, BE. I've been trying to reply to your PM for the past week. Whenever I click the "send" button, the All Empires servers just stall for minutes without sending the message. I wrote, and re-wrote, the message about three different times on three different days. I spent about 20 minutes each time, yet the message is always lost. :(

I'd still like to tell you about the "project." More importantly, I wanted to wish you and your wife the best of luck once again.

Edit: I'll try to post again with a followup to your points later. The AE server seems to crash on me if posts get too long. You wouldn't believe how many attempts I made at uploading the maps from this thread onto the server. I originally had eight maps that I wanted to upload.

Edited by Herschel - 13-Aug-2007 at 00:12
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 16:14
Originally posted by Herschel

This is my interpretation of a Byzantine overseas empire.

Beautifully done, Herschel!  I as well as others here appreciate your thoughtfullness and creativity in this reply.  How did you make the maps?  Did you use some kind of special geographic software?

Byzantine territory is now firmly set in southeastern Europe, around Thrace, southern Macedonia, Epirus, Thessaly, and Morea. Only minor holdings in Anatolia remain and they include the major cities of Nicaea, Nicomedia, Smyrna, and Heraclea Pontica; Philadelphia is still nominally Byzantine, but is basically under self-rule. This is the setting of our diminishing empire.

Yes, the "Byzantine Commonwealth" that Obolensky so fondly described!  The provinces are relatively independent with local kephalai and military officials more or less following the dictates of imperial chrysobulls that eminate from Constantinople.

From small beginnings, this navy would immediately begin the re-conquest of North-Aegean islands from the Genoese. It would also be the key to his successful defense of the costal cities in northwest Anatolia, which in our timeline were lost in the early 1330s. I have no imagination what-so-ever, so youll have to come up with your own little back story as to how Nicaea, Nicomedia, and Smyrna survive; but the point is they remain intact with the Byzantine Empire, allowing it to control the Marmara Sea, and thus, Black Sea trade.

Exactly.  I think it was Constantine XI who mentioned elsewhere that a refurbished Byzantine navy, whatever the size, would be the key to any resurgence of the Empire in the late period.  I very much agree.  Establishing authority in the islands firms up a Byzantine hold on the Eastern Mediterranean.  Although they eventually petered out, some small scale attempts at building a new navy were not entirely a lost cause, as can be seen with Andronikos III and even Manuel II.

For now though, Andronicus grudgingly accepts things as they are, and builds up a power base in Thrace and the Rhodope mountains (which will supply most of the timber for a growing navy in the future) of southern Bulgaria.

Good point.  There were also forests in Southern Greece (in what was at this time the Morea) that were used for sturdy timber.  Thucydides mentions wood being cut from Mt. Kithairon - perhaps these forests still grew?  The Morea could export this wood locally for the construction of the navy.

To understand Byzantiums recovery in the late 14th century with this timeline, one must look to the events which are taking place in Anatolia. In this timeline, the Greeks are able to hold off any Turkish invasion of Europe, thanks in part to the rejuvenated navy.

Again, the navy is the key!  Smile

Anyhow, without the moderating force of the Millet system, Turkification will continue as it had before, especially in devastating period where, in my timeline, the Ottomans are fighting huge wars with the Karamanid Emirate. This will cause a mass migration of Orthodox peoples towards Nicomedia, where the Byzantine emperors will begin a process of resettlement throughout the various parts of the empire. In total, 70,000 Anatolian Greeks will make the migration into Byzantine territory. With them, they will bring the knowledge of producing gunpowder, guns, and cannons. (Because they were forced by the two Turkish powers to make these weapons and fight with them in the devastating wars in Anatolia) New foundries are built in Constantinople, Adrianople, and Thessalonica. In short, the 15th century will see a rise in population and an increase in the adoption of foreign weapons technologies.

Very interesting!  This is a good point; it provides a means by which the restored empire can fully embrace gunpowder technology.  I did not think of this!  Plus, it brings into play the realistic historical perspective of the Byzantine emperors using resettlement and population transfers to their advantage.

The 15th century was also a time of cultural expansion. Manuel II would refound the University of Constantinople once again. This time, contacts made with new Italian thinkers would transform what would normally have been a school of religious and philosophical thought into one that cherished the civilizations of antiquity.

Yes, Manuel the efficient administrator would be a good one to accomplish this.  He could stop the devastating effects of the outsourcing (or the voluntary departure) of Byzantine intellectuals to other nations by giving them an incentive to remain in Byzantium.  Teaching chairs at the university are just that.

The introduction of the printing press into Byzantium in the future will allow for the mass production of such works. One such work, the Indica by Arrian, would be most highly prized. It spoke of the exotic lands of India to the east.  The Indus and Ganges rivers, which were compared to the Nile and Danube rivers, would hold a certain fascination by many Greeks. India would be the land that the Byzantines most sought after - with new ship making technologies spreading from the Iberian peninsula, it would only be a matter of time before Greeks would once again settle there.

Yes, the introduction of the printing press is paramount for a cultural revival in 15th-century Byzantium.  It would counter the possibility of a monopoly by the monks on the the copying/distribution of classical works.  We see the damage that was done in the Ottoman Empire, where there was a stranglehold by the ulema and scribes on the production of books.  The printing press was not introduced until much later with any efficiency. 

As for the types of works to be disseminated, yes, the geographic and military treatises are very important.  The Byzantines were always expert compilers, that is, they took the works of the past and copied and emulated them in content and style.  As I have mentioned elsewhere in the thread, if they Byzantines had incorporated the knowledge of the past with new techniques of the early modern world, the possibilities would be very interesting!  Perhaps the use of Arrian and Strabo might open the door to Byzantine voyages of discovery.

The Spanish Empire, which controlled much of the Mediterranean Sea at this point, was unable to wage war on the sea against the Muslims and commit resources to the New World, so in an agreement with Thomas II Palaeologus in 1512 the Spanish crown ceded Malta to Byzantium. In an attempt to create a closer link with Portugal (who was at the forefront of African exploration towards India), however, Thomas II and Manuel I of Portugal initiated a combined attack on Spanish Melilla in Northern Africa.

Wow, this is great!  I am glad to see that Thomas Palaiologos' successors did not suffer the fate of their forefather in reality: becoming a pensioner of the Pope at the Vatican!  It would be amazing to see a Byzantine historian writing about this battle and the African exploration in Thucydidean style.  We should try to do this for the next installment of the topic! Big%20smile

This early period of exploration also brought a closer relationship between Byzantium and Portugal, the technology of the Caravel (ship) having been given to our Byzantines. Throughout the 16th century, these two countries would initiate dual-explorations and would found new colonies together. Royal marriages between these two nations would also become commonplace.

This makes sense since Western European monarchs, especially Hispanic ones, tried to claim descendancy from the Palaiologans.  A Spanish adventurer at the fall of 1453 claimed to be a cousin of Constantine XI.  The duel colonies are interesting.  This provides a link for the transfer of naval technology from the proficient Portuguese to the Byzantines.

The most successful Byzantine colony would be New Smyrna, located on what is now present day Maceio on the very tip of Brazil. This land would soon become huge sugar cane, cotton, tobacco, and corn plantations, bringing tremendous wealth to Constantinople and its Black Sea trade.

The influx of New World products from the Byzantine colonies into the Old World economy would be good.  They could reach the parts where the Portuguese had limited influence in the East.

After the untimely death of Sebastian of Portugal in 1578 and the death  of Henry two years later, a Byzantine prince would take the crown of Portugal. This Byzantine prince, well call him Alexander II, was born of a Byzantine prince and Portuguese princess.  This turn of events would thrust our Empire from junior partner to active leader.

This is very ironic for the West.  They wanted the opposite to happen for so long, that is, to claim the imperial throne for themselves using a myriad of bogus pretexts.  I like how you named him Alexander II, who mirrors the half-Sogdian son of Alexander and Roxanne from antiquity!

Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2007 at 23:10
I agree with Akolouthos that was most enjoyable to read Herschel.
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2007 at 22:10
Herschel,

Simply magnificent!

Clap

-Akolouthos
Herschel View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Herschel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2007 at 21:39

This is my interpretation of a Byzantine overseas empire.

In this alternate timeline, the point of divergence from our own timeline begins after the ravages of the civil war of the early 14th century (1321 - 1328).  Byzantine territory is now firmly set in southeastern Europe, around Thrace, southern Macedonia, Epirus, Thessaly, and Morea. Only minor holdings in Anatolia remain and they include the major cities of Nicaea, Nicomedia, Smyrna, and Heraclea Pontica; Philadelphia is still nominally Byzantine, but is basically under self-rule. This is the setting of our diminishing empire. It is surrounded on all sides by powerful, youthful empires: by the Ottomans in NW Anatolia, Bulgaria to the North, Serbia to the West, and the Latin states that control the southern Aegean Sea. Whatever, its with these remaining territories that the Byzantine Empire stage their remarkable turnaround and develop into a naval and commercial empire.

Andronicus III Palaeologus was to be the emperor that would set the Empire on its course towards prosperity. Ironically, it would also be his reign that would see some of its greatest losses, shedding vital territory to nearby enemies. In 1329, Andronicus set up a panel of four judges, termed Universal Justices of the Romans, who would combat corruption  from within. After the long and devastating civil war that lasted an entire decade, this became a normalizing force, restricting the power of the aristocracy who, as with the 11th century aristocracy, were a large cause of Byzantine disintegration. In the same year Emperor Andronicus also constructed a moderately sized navy. From small beginnings, this navy would immediately begin the re-conquest of North-Aegean islands from the Genoese. It would also be the key to his successful defense of the costal cities in northwest Anatolia, which in our timeline were lost in the early 1330s. I have no imagination what-so-ever, so youll have to come up with your own little back story as to how Nicaea, Nicomedia, and Smyrna survive; but the point is they remain intact with the Byzantine Empire, allowing it to control the Marmara Sea, and thus, Black Sea trade. 

It is with Byzantiums European possessions, however, where most land will be lost. Stefan Uros IV Dusan of Serbia will remove from the empire Epirus, Albania, Thessaly, and the Vardar river area. In the future he would be crowned Emperor of the Serbs and Greeks. For now though, Andronicus grudgingly accepts things as they are, and builds up a power base in Thrace and the Rhodope mountains (which will supply most of the timber for a growing navy in the future) of southern Bulgaria. Thessalonica becomes the western-most frontier city to Serbias new empire. In this timeline, Serbia will retain control of Epirus, Albania, and the Vardar region. Thessaly will mutate into a Greco-Vlach state which will go onto capture Athens and become a minor power for a couple of centuries. In any case, things in southeastern Europe are at a standstill as each state is only powerful enough to control their own territories; alliances are made and broken, wars begin and end, and no state seems to be able to break out and dominate the others. By the way, this interlude also gives a respite to Byzantiums woes, and it is allowed to progress economically and politically. Events such as the Zealot riots and the second civil war are to be butterflied away. This is a cheap move on my part - not explaining things in more detail. I realize that and apologize.

To understand Byzantiums recovery in the late 14th century with this timeline, one must look to the events which are taking place in Anatolia. In this timeline, the Greeks are able to hold off any Turkish invasion of Europe, thanks in part to the rejuvenated navy. It is my reasoning that Orthodoxy was able to flourish the way it did into the modern period thanks to the Millet system of the Ottoman Empire. That is why Anatolia was thoroughly Turkish even by the 14th century. Ottoman expansion into Europe forced the Sultans to adopt the Millet system for internal security as they conquered millions of Christians and added them into the empire. Thus, the Greeks who remained in Anatolia past 1453 were then added into this Millet system and conversion to Islam nearly stopped at this point; their descendents would be the 1.5 million Greeks who still lived in Asia Minor in the early 20th century in our timeline. Again, this is my reasoning, I could be wrong. Anyhow, without the moderating force of the Millet system, Turkification will continue as it had before, especially in devastating period where, in my timeline, the Ottomans are fighting huge wars with the Karamanid Emirate. This will cause a mass migration of Orthodox peoples towards Nicomedia, where the Byzantine emperors will begin a process of resettlement throughout the various parts of the empire. In total, 70,000 Anatolian Greeks will make the migration into Byzantine territory. With them, they will bring the knowledge of producing gunpowder, guns, and cannons. (Because they were forced by the two Turkish powers to make these weapons and fight with them in the devastating wars in Anatolia) New foundries are built in Constantinople, Adrianople, and Thessalonica. In short, the 15th century will see a rise in population and an increase in the adoption of foreign weapons technologies.

Here is a map of the East Mediterranean region in the year 1490:

Because I am a sucker for numbers, Ive decided to give some made-up statistics for this mini-empire:

Total Population: 1,250,000

Constantinople: 24,000 + 2,500 Italians
Thessalonica: 13,000 + 1,000 Italians
Nicomedia: 11,000
Adrianople: 10,000
Nicaea: 9,000
Smyrna: 8,000 + 1,500 Italians
Mystras: 4,000

The 15th century was also a time of cultural expansion. Manuel II would refound the University of Constantinople once again. This time, contacts made with new Italian thinkers would transform what would normally have been a school of religious and philosophical thought into one that cherished the civilizations of antiquity.  For the first time, the term Hellene has made its way from a small circle of intellectuals into the masses. Even the poor agricultural class would adopt this name for themselves. With this newfound interest in the classical world, old texts are meticulously copied and studied. The introduction of the printing press into Byzantium in the future will allow for the mass production of such works. One such work, the Indica by Arrian, would be most highly prized. It spoke of the exotic lands of India to the east.  The Indus and Ganges rivers, which were compared to the Nile and Danube rivers, would hold a certain fascination by many Greeks. India would be the land that the Byzantines most sought after - with new ship making technologies spreading from the Iberian peninsula, it would only be a matter of time before Greeks would once again settle there.

The late 15th and early 16th century would finally see the first instance of overseas expansion by the Byzantines. The first stage will be to secure territory in the Mediterranean Sea from which a larger empire can begin. Throughout the 15th century, the Byzantine Empire had made great strides in reconciliation with Western Europe. Though the Catholic and Orthodox churches were still separate entities, the animosity had been significantly lessoned due to careful diplomacy on both sides. Turkish, Arab, and Berber piracy in northern Africa and the Levant had forced the Eastern and Western cultures to combine their navies in an attempt to eradicate Muslim piracy. The Spanish Empire, which controlled much of the Mediterranean Sea at this point, was unable to wage war on the sea against the Muslims and commit resources to the New World, so in an agreement with Thomas II Palaeologus in 1512 the Spanish crown ceded Malta to Byzantium. In an attempt to create a closer link with Portugal (who was at the forefront of African exploration towards India), however, Thomas II and Manuel I of Portugal initiated a combined attack on Spanish Melilla in Northern Africa. Malta and Melilla would become great harbors and suppliers for Greek merchants and explorers on their way out of the Pillars of Hercules. This early period of exploration also brought a closer relationship between Byzantium and Portugal, the technology of the Caravel (ship) having been given to our Byzantines. Throughout the 16th century, these two countries would initiate dual-explorations and would found new colonies together. Royal marriages between these two nations would also become commonplace. (Note: I did this to allow for Byzantine/Greek Colonies in places such as Brazil, India, and SE Asia)

This is a map of Byzantium in 1520:

So this is Byzantium in the early 16th century. Trade routes to the east are stifled by various Turkic and Arab empires. However, with new shipping technologies handed to them by Portugal, as well as the rediscovery of ancient Greek geography and cartography, Byzantine exploration will push out to the Atlantic, down the coast of Africa, and up towards India and beyond.  These new lands will provide exotic spices and trade goods, incredible new flora and fauna, and above all (remember, this is still a very religious time) new converts to Christianity. New colonies in western Africa were almost always jointly controlled territories administered, by treaty, by Portuguese mayors. Also by treaty, all Christian missions to west Africans must be Catholic. Although this effectively made Byzantium the junior partner in this relationship, it did allow its men to learn carefully the art of sailing, how to set up and administer colonies properly, and it did bring much gold and slaves back to Constantinople. In 1530, John III of Portugal prepared the colonization of Brazil so as to prevent further French incursions in the area. This call to settle new lands was especially promising for thousands of  Greeks who had left Anatolia and were forcefully relocated by past emperors. These people would join the thousands of Portuguese people in setting up new colonies on the eastern coast of Brazil. The most successful Byzantine colony would be New Smyrna, located on what is now present day Maceio on the very tip of Brazil. This land would soon become huge sugar cane, cotton, tobacco, and corn plantations, bringing tremendous wealth to Constantinople and its Black Sea trade. And unlike in west Africa, Orthodox missions were allowed. Settlers began the conversion of many natives in the area, setting up many small churches. The most prized church, though, would be the Hagia Irene modeled directly from the Constantinople version of the same name.

This is what the Hagia Irene looks like (from Wikipedia):

It is in east Africa and the Indian Ocean beyond where Byzantiums overseas empire truly shined. Beginning in the late 16th century, ties between the empire and Portugal continued to grow, mostly out of necessity as both nations were too small to continue administering such a large empire by themselves. (both nations combined only totaled 3 million people)  A key event in the relationship came in 1580. After the untimely death of Sebastian of Portugal in 1578 and the death  of Henry two years later, a Byzantine prince would take the crown of Portugal. This Byzantine prince, well call him Alexander II, was born of a Byzantine prince and Portuguese princess.  This turn of events would thrust our Empire from junior partner to active leader. Now, it would be Constantinople, not Lisbon, who would dictate trade agreements, order new expeditions, and such. Although previous agreements were kept, such as a Catholic west Africa, this would allow for the entirety of the Indian Ocean to be open to Byzantine missionaries. Alexander IIs reign would last only 15 or so years, but it shifted the balance for good in favor of the Byzantines.

...And this is Byzantium in 1580:

Honestly, Im too tired to finish this. Ive spent a few hours at work with this and its time for me to wrap things up. Some events which would happen in this timeline include:

- Greek settlements in Western and Southwestern India are dense. Not just traders, but religious missionaries, peasants, and adventurers.  Greco-Indian cities develop. Byzantine architecture blends with Indian to create interesting hybrids.
- The trade of spices from SE Asia such as pepper, cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg enrich the Byzantine diet. New world foods like tomatoes, maize, potato, and chili peppers make Constantinople a Mecca of culinary arts.
- The overseas empire is broken up piece by piece by stronger European powers over the following decades and centuries. Many trading ports remain Byzantine, even in India. Zanzibar remains a prime Spice growing region.
- Portugal regains independence from Constantinople and begins the long process of separation from their previously close ties. Byzantium shifts its external policy eastward towards a rejuvenated Russia.
- Thessaly and Attica will rejoin the Byzantine Empire. Anatolia becomes completely Turkic and Muslim, save for a few scattered cities under Byzantine protection, as well as in the region of Pontus.
- New Smyrna will fall under Portuguese sway, but will still retain its Greek/Orthodox culture.

Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2007 at 23:48
Originally posted by Byzantine Emperor

Interesting...so new and improved ballistae?  Perhaps they can use these in tandem with small bore falconet cannon on the field as an anti-infantry tactic.  The French were developing anti-infantry cannon at this time.  It would be interesting to see the Byzantines develop one independently.

Yes, thats what I had in mind.  That makes sense, if I remember correctly the french and other europeans used a large variety of gunpowder weapons to complement one another.  It would be interesting if the byzantines and french "discovered" each others artillery adaptations.  I wonder if they would share their knowledge with each other or perhaps try to steal the designs of one another.

Exactly.  And with new trade revenues from the Red Sea and the Mediterranean, the Byzantines can use this time-honored tool most effectively!

I concur, byzantine influence would be enormous with the empire strong once again especially with the rise of its afiliates like muscuvy etc.

Good comparison.  You would think that the Byzantines might take advantage of the wealth of knowledge in their possession in the form of ancient and early Byzantine treatises.  Perhaps there would make a conscious effort to synthesize the ancient knowledge of tactics with the early modern advancements in military technology.  I wonder if there is way to combine the Macedonian-style pikemen with crossbowmen/arbalesters that could rival the addition of arquebusiers?

Depends, arquebusiers were still rather inaccurate.  I think if the pikemen were able to shield the crossbowmen and arbalesters until close range it might work.  At this stage in the development of firearms I would say numbers would be telling, if you have twice as many crosswbowmen and arbalesters than arquebusiers and can defend them until they are within range they would still be useful.  Though its been a while since I read about renaissance warfare/tactics so I might be off here.

A revival of the exercitus comitatensis as a mobile cavalry force might be a good military strategy for the Byzantines both at home and at their colony.  Detachments could be stationed at the colony for quick action in the countryside should the indians or the Spanish try anything.  A paid salary would go to these troops since they would be in the field constantly.

Exactly, I don't remember the exact dates but I think during the macedonian dynasty the byzantines had three field armies of mobile cavalry forces held in reserve with lesser troops garrisoning fortresses along the frontiers.  When an enemy invaded the mobile armies would immediately counter-attack while the troops in the fortresses would harass/pin down the enemy forces and attack their supply lines.  I think they did away with this during basil II's reign(?) and the impact of the turks was so large because of this.  The armies were expensive and the emperors disbanded them to save money.  (I might have mixed up the facts a bit but for the most part this should be accurate)  So basically going back to these mobile forces with increased resources.

What might the heir to the throne do with the information and experience he has accumulated during his governorship of a New World colony?  How would he apply it to his rule in the Old World?

I'm still pondering on this one; I thought of some of some rulers like the spanish king/emperor Charles who was born in the low countries and ruled spain.  Thinking of how he ruled the low countries and applied it to his rule in spain.  My thoughts were the emperor who ruled an overseas colony would be more concerned with the colonies versus concentrating on home provinces.  Perhaps more expansionistic and willing to fight more wars because of this.  I think he would fund explorers more willingly to claim territory for the empire.  I'll have to give it some more thought.

Wow, the possibilities! Big%20smile

I think by the Palaiologan era, there was no question that the emperor would be expected to be a champion of strict Orthodoxy.  Since most of the heresies had long since died out, a combination of political and religious factionalism became a major problem for the Byzantines from the 13th through the 15th centuries.  Take the Arsenite controversy for example.  Then there was the Hesychast movement, which threatened during the civil wars to become a heretical problem.  The question of whether or not the Palaiologans had converted to Catholicism (starting with Michael VIII) would become moot in our scenario.  The Palaiologan emperors only agreed to union because they needed financial and military assistance from the West.

Now, hypothetically speaking, what if the successors of Constantine XI had a change of heart and became open to Protestant doctrines? Perhaps they might even make personal conversions or at least become open to the doctrines of Sola Scriptura and salvation by faith through grace alone.  This might open up a whole new controversy; I would wager that it would be labeled a heresy and the church fathers would demand a council be held to stamp it out.

Historical precedence for how this scenario would pan out can be found in the correspondence between Jeremiah II and the Tubingens.  Also, in the 16th century, there was a squabble between Protestants, Catholics, and Orthodox (I think) in Wallachia and Hungary.  If I remember correctly, there was involved a preacher who claimed the last name of Palaiologos!

Very interesting, I agree with as religious and with all the experience fighting heretics the empire had its probably likely the emperors would remain orthodox and at most be neutral in conflicts between the catholics and protestants.  Though as much as they disliked the catholics its hard to say.  Then of course there is the Constantine or Ahkenaton possibility of an emperor changing the religion on a whim, if that happened I wonder what the possibility would be of the empire simply overthrowing him versus tolerating it like iconoclasm.  Perhaps it would depend on how successful that emperor was/had been in foreign affairs.  (Thinking out loud again)

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2007 at 01:17
Originally posted by Justinian

They were usually almost always fighting superior opponents numerically speaking, I would think they would harken back to the romans who used the ballista on wagons for mobility.  They would develop advanced field artillery that would be for hitting opposing troops.

Interesting...so new and improved ballistae?  Perhaps they can use these in tandem with small bore falconet cannon on the field as an anti-infantry tactic.  The French were developing anti-infantry cannon at this time.  It would be interesting to see the Byzantines develop one independently.

Their bread and butter strategy had always been divide and conquer and bribe off/strike fear into their opponents. 

Exactly.  And with new trade revenues from the Red Sea and the Mediterranean, the Byzantines can use this time-honored tool most effectively!

I think we would see crossbowmen on the battlefield to complement the other projectile troops.  A kind of early combined arms strategy. Perhaps more rapidly than the spanish because of the wealth of knowledge and experience the byzantines had in warfare.

Good comparison.  You would think that the Byzantines might take advantage of the wealth of knowledge in their possession in the form of ancient and early Byzantine treatises.  Perhaps there would make a conscious effort to synthesize the ancient knowledge of tactics with the early modern advancements in military technology.  I wonder if there is way to combine the Macedonian-style pikemen with crossbowmen/arbalesters that could rival the addition of arquebusiers?

With the reconquered territory he could grant land to either the infantry or cavalry covering much of the armies' cost.  Then pay a regular salary to the elite troops like the revived kataphraktoi/klibanophoroi.  The best troops would be completely loyal to him based on a paid salary, the lesser troops getting land considering they are less of a threat.

A revival of the exercitus comitatensis as a mobile cavalry force might be a good military strategy for the Byzantines both at home and at their colony.  Detachments could be stationed at the colony for quick action in the countryside should the indians or the Spanish try anything.  A paid salary would go to these troops since they would be in the field constantly.

Plus if one of these colonial administrators becomes the heir to the throne he will have first hand knowledge and experience of the colonies and their problems/needs/importance etc.  I think you're on to something here.

What might the heir to the throne do with the information and experience he has accumulated during his governorship of a New World colony?  How would he apply it to his rule in the Old World?

The protestant question is a prickly one.  Perhaps another iconoclasm problem arising or civil war at one point.  Or some sort of compromise or tolerance to this minor sect.  Who knows maybe even another Constantine to come along and declare protestantism the new state religion.  If the schism with catholicism were to continue that would be possible along with some sort of union with the northern portestants.  But, then of course there is the problem of the slavic world that was converted to christianity by byzantium.  I'm just thinking out loud now, I'll have to give this one some more thought.

Wow, the possibilities! Big%20smile

I think by the Palaiologan era, there was no question that the emperor would be expected to be a champion of strict Orthodoxy.  Since most of the heresies had long since died out, a combination of political and religious factionalism became a major problem for the Byzantines from the 13th through the 15th centuries.  Take the Arsenite controversy for example.  Then there was the Hesychast movement, which threatened during the civil wars to become a heretical problem.  The question of whether or not the Palaiologans had converted to Catholicism (starting with Michael VIII) would become moot in our scenario.  The Palaiologan emperors only agreed to union because they needed financial and military assistance from the West.

Now, hypothetically speaking, what if the successors of Constantine XI had a change of heart and became open to Protestant doctrines? Perhaps they might even make personal conversions or at least become open to the doctrines of Sola Scriptura and salvation by faith through grace alone.  This might open up a whole new controversy; I would wager that it would be labeled a heresy and the church fathers would demand a council be held to stamp it out.

Historical precedence for how this scenario would pan out can be found in the correspondence between Jeremiah II and the Tubingens.  Also, in the 16th century, there was a squabble between Protestants, Catholics, and Orthodox (I think) in Wallachia and Hungary.  If I remember correctly, there was involved a preacher who claimed the last name of Palaiologos!

Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2007 at 00:44

It is interesting to speculate what Byzantine gunpowder artillery might have looked like.  Would they have developed any innovations in its design or use?  The Ottomans had ornately inscribed and molded cannon; one could argue that they were designed and crafted by western engineers.  But I am sure the Ottomans eventually had some native artillery specialists.  In Western Europe, we see innovations such as the artillery carriage, which allowed the cannon to be pulled on wheels instead of dragged on sleds (Charles VIII had carriages in his invasion of Italy).

It's hard to tell, I would think that if the byzantines were open enough to adopt artillery at an early date they would try to find a way to improve upon it.  Whether that be better made guns, larger projectiles with smaller guns, develop carriages like the french you mentioned etc.  They were usually almost always fighting superior opponents numerically speaking, I would think they would harken back to the romans who used the ballista on wagons for mobility.  They would develop advanced field artillery that would be for hitting opposing troops.  Perhaps quicker than the westerners because of necessity.  They would also probably try to invent ways to make their artillery look more impressive.  Their bread and butter strategy had always been divide and conquer and bribe off/strike fear into their opponents.  Use special artillery pieces to strike fear into opponents to make them sue for peace.  Like belisarius and some of the ruses he used against the persians etc.

I think we have answered the question of what the revamped Byzantine heavy infantry would look like.  Do you think they would post arquebusiers at the corners of Macedonian-style pike squares, or would it be an alternating line (like the ancient version), with supporting missile units behind?

I am wondering what the fate of Byzantine crossbowmen would be.  The use of the weapon, and the more powerful but slower arbalest, did not die out in Western Europe.  They were used especially in sieges.  The Byzantines called crossbowmen tzanggatores and used them to garrison forts.  Perhaps we might see them transferred to the battlefield? 

Well in regards to the development of their infantry tactics I think it might go similar to the spanish who led europe in infantry tactics for what 150 years.  Start with alternating line with the older projectile troops (archers/crossbowmen) behind the pikemen and then evolve into the squares of pikemen surrounded at the corners by arquebusiers.  The Spanish were constantly at war and improved that way, I think the byzantines would evolve similar based on experience in battle.  I think we would see crossbowmen on the battlefield to complement the other projectile troops.  A kind of early combined arms strategy.  Perhaps more rapidly than the spanish because of the wealth of knowledge and experience the byzantines had in warfare.

As for the Byzantine cavalry, I think we would see the revival of the klibanophoroi and kataphraktoi.  They would have the strenghthened klibania for armor and the other accessories from former times.  The Byzantines were ahead of their time in their heavy cavalry and could compete with the "Gothic Knights" of the 15th-16th centuries in the West.

The question is now about how the emperors would pay the cavalry.  In reality, with the empire's resources being low and inconsistent, the Palaiologan emperors used the pronoia system to finance individual and groups of cavalrymen.  Now that they have new resources to tap, they might look into further professionalizing them and paying them an actual salary.

I think you are absolutely correct in regards to the cavalry competing with the west.  Whenever the byzantine military comes up the discussion of their cavalry is not far behind.  No doubt they would be the equals of the early renaissance knights of germany and france.  With improved resources and considerable fighting ahead I think the emperor would use a combination of the pronoia system alonside regular pay.  With the reconquered territory he could grant land to either the infantry or cavalry covering much of the armies' cost.  Then pay a regular salary to the elite troops like the revived kataphraktoi/klibanophoroi.  The best troops would be completely loyal to him based on a paid salary, the lesser troops getting land considering they are less of a threat.

Or, as often happened, changes that took place in the colonies often caused innovations in their administration.  Perhaps the Byzantine colonial administration would resemble the Old World Palaiologan one (appanages ruled by a junior family member) and then would change slightly based on the environment in the New World.

That sounds like an excellent theory, lesser family members ruling far off territories, not a big threat of rebellion from them and they will work hard to get everything they can out of the colony.  Plus if one of these colonial administrators becomes the heir to the throne he will have first hand knowledge and experience of the colonies and their problems/needs/importance etc.  I think you're on to something here. 

Yes, bringing the Protestant Reformation into the mix makes it quite interesting.  In reality, since it occurred after 1453, the Byzantines did not have to deal with it as much.  However, there is the oft-neglected incident of the correspondence between the Tubingen theologians and the patriarch Jeremiah, which ended with the patriarch considering the Protestants to be heretics!  How would the situation develop with the Byzantines having pagan natives in their colonies and Protestants at home to deal with?

Not suprising that the protestants were thought of as heretics.  Byzantines always had trouble tolerating christian sects different than the official one, justinian's persecution, the iconoclast "wars", the problem with catholicism and the pope.  I think the pagans would be treated very well if they convert to the proper form of christianity.  Looking at the number of minorities who held important positions even the throne is evidence of this.  On the other hand I think they would be presecuted intensely if they failed to convert to the right sect, until they did I think they would be treated decently they hadn't rejected the official form of christianity so they were possible converts.  Similar to how the natives were looked at by european missionaries in the new world and even places like china.  The protestant question is a prickly one.  Perhaps another iconoclasm problem arising or civil war at one point.  Or some sort of compromise or tolerance to this minor sect.  Who knows maybe even another Constantine to come along and declare protestantism the new state religion.  If the schism with catholicism were to continue that would be possible along with some sort of union with the northern portestants.  But, then of course there is the problem of the slavic world that was converted to christianity by byzantium.  I'm just thinking out loud now, I'll have to give this one some more thought.

Edited by Justinian - 12-Jul-2007 at 00:46

Kamikaze 738 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Kamikaze 738 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2007 at 01:18

WONDERFUL!  You have set another precedent along with Justinian for others to follow.  Smile

Thank you, in an event that such a scenario could have happen must look into the past to see how this great empire has come to be. Thus the reason why many people are having difficulty imagining a scenario like this. Such an empire must come from something, it just cant pop out of nothing if you know what I mean.

I am more interested in a speculative Byzantine colony than the methods by which they gained ascendancy in the Old World.

Lol, I can see that but this is a history forum... we do want to know the history of Byzantine colonization from how it started to what was the end result Wink

I think the more pressing problem for the Byzantines here would be to pacify the Egyptian population in terms of religion.  Without a heavy Muslim influence there, the Byzantines would be faced with the old Monophysite heresy and other challenges to the Orthodox church.

Ah, yes indeed. I was just reading about the subject and it seems that the Byzantine already had trouble maintaining the region. The population has no loyalty to the emperor in Constantinople and are willing to welcome new people to their lands, such as the Persians and Arabs. They offered little resistances against them. A funny thing I notice is that even though the people in Egypt are willing to welcome invaders such as the Persians, when the Byzantine return to capture Egypt, the population didnt put up any resistance against the Byzantine either. I find it kinda awkward, the Egyptians seem to be neutral in the political affairs of the region. All they want to just to farm their land lol LOL

However, what is true is that the Arabs introduce a very tolerant system of governance and the people seem to incorporate the Arab society and culture much easyer than the Byzantine because they didnt have much tolerance to the Egyptians. However I dont see this happening in India, the Byzantine would never try to conquer India without securing their own lands. So the only thing the Byzantine has is cultural influence by trading.

I wonder if the Byzantines would break out their copies of Arrian to look for a methodology with which to conduct an expedition to India? Smile

Oh, most likely considering there are still some of his work left. Do you know what of his works were still avaliable back in the early 1500s or were they lost even before that time?

Or, the Byzantines might establish trading depots in India that would be lucrative for both parties.  Would they have to completely conquer India to accomplish this?

Both parties? Whos the other? Though my thoughts are probably not going to change much about the Byzantine influence in India. They might establish trading post and depots there but the Byzantine would never have the means or the capability to conquer India at the time. Its too vast and powerful for even the Byzantines to handle.

The penury of the Byzantine state was also a reason for this.  The emperors did not have the resources to spend on hiring engineers and importing weapons in the late period.

For one civilization to develop such advance technologies need to be at some kind of golden age. The late Byzantine period was already in decline so there was almost little to no development in technologies that could have them save the empire (considering they dont have the resources to develop those weapons just as you said). By the time the Ottomans reach Constantinople, only the city and the surrounding countryside remained Byzantine terrority. It had shrink to nothing more than what was once Rome in the 8th century BCE.

The golden ages for the Byzantine was during the early reign of Justinian around the 5th and 6th century and during the 9th, 10th, and 11th century starting with the reign of Basil. The first golden age saw the recapture of the Rome and neighboring provinces. However nearly all those provinces due to rebellions and invaders. It overly stretched the Byzantine control over the regions (which is also why I consider scenarios like this to be unrealistic because the Byzantine always had difficulty securing faraway provinces...).

The other second one was more significant because it had a deep cultural impact on which was what medieval Byzantine was going to be like. It was probably the only time when advances in technology could have propell the empire ahead of others. However the technology of gunpowder weapons was not introduce in Europe until the the 1300s which the 4th Crusade already happened which was the start of the Byzantine decline. If only the medieval golden age of the Byzantines started or continued alittle bit later and that the 4th Crusade didnt sack Constantinople, the Byzantine wouldnt have fallen to the Ottomans. They could possible hold out and maybe a scenario like yours could have been adopted Approve

With the gaining of new lucrative trade routes, the Byzantines would finally have the resources to devote towards harnessing this new technology.

They must, if they were to keep up with the other European powers. Supposely they could have taken the weapons from the Ottomans and converted into the Byzantine style weapon as done in the past many times. The Byzantine was always fond of converting Eastern ways in their culture such as the Kataphracts, so I have no doubt that they would consider converting the firearms into their military.

Interesting enough, the Indians had gunpowder weapons and put them to good use in the 15th and 16th centuries

The Mughals definitely have firearms but before they establish themselves in India, the former empire had little firearms or atleast they were very primitive. If the Byzantine incorporate the firearms left by the Ottomans, then they would have an advantage in fighting against the Indians. Though the timeframe you have given us points that when the Byzantine start settling (if they could), they were in quite a place. During the time, the Indians were at the end of the line for their dynasty. A new one was about to be establish and the Byzantine are right in the middle of a civil war and foreign conquest. Could affect trade... Ermm

Maybe India would be the source of Byzantium's gunpowder weapons and engineering?

Possibly, though they werent the only ones...

The Indian Hindus would have big problems with outsiders coming in and telling them to abandon all their other gods in the pantheon.  Let them place Christ in the pantheon first and then go from there with a different strategy.

Indeed, it is the same encounter as was the Byzantine in Egypt. Hopefully they would have found some kind of way to settle things peacefully so that the Egyptians/Indians would enjoy their way of life. They dont want to make the same mistake as they had done before in Egypt. Im guessing that the Byzantine would give tolerance to the populous, given how easily the Arabs settle their culture down into Egypt...

Very interesting!  The Indian intellectuals might embrace the culture once again and form a connection.  One of my history professors used to say that statues of the Buddha and of various Hindu gods appeared with classical Greek faces after Alexander.  Perhaps we'll see Indian statues with the face of John VIII Palaiologos, after the medallion fashioned by the Florentine artist Pisanello! Big%20smile

Lol, Im always fascinated by what Alexander and the Greek culture had done. Especially when Alexander ventured deep into the unknown. India was one of those places and I find their culture highly intertwine with each other. Farther enrichment would create an ever lasting bond between these cultures. If the Byzantines are as kind as their Macedonian ancestors, then the potential for these people to embraces each other is beyond imagination Embarrassed
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2007 at 12:45
Originally posted by Kamikaze 738

Well, thats basically my opinion on your scenario. Hopefully this is enough to satisfy your needs for a good respones Tongue Tell me what you think Star

WONDERFUL!  You have set another precedent along with Justinian for others to follow.  Smile

Please excuse me for getting a little annoyed with people constantly posting how unrealistic it is and that x and y had to happen before z could occur.  I knew all this going into the question and wanted people to skip it and go straight to a Byzantine colonial scenario.  Embarrassed

Sorry, its just that the likely scenario of a Byzantine colonization is pretty unrealistic in terms of getting to the shores of either the Americans or the Indies. It would require the nation's common enemies (mainly the Ottomans) to be utterly defeated and having regime so powerful and stable that it could launch oversea expansions. Its a mighty task considering that the empire at the time was stable (according to your scenario) but it was not in peace but surrounded by enemies that are willing to strike at a moments notice.

Although it might appear weak and unrealistic, this is what I wanted people to assume in their replies.  I am more interested in a speculative Byzantine colony than the methods by which they gained ascendancy in the Old World.

But if the Byzantine would be able to retake control Egypt, I bet the Byzantines would be smart enough to finish the Seuz Canal and began trading with the Indies. They would be the first European nation to reach India as an organized expedition. That would bring great wealth to the Byzantines as many merchants and travellers would cross the Seuz Canal to reach the Far East and the Byzantines would benefit from the money they are making from ships passing through the canal and riches from India. If things are still going well in Anatolia and Syria, the Byzantines might just start some kind of prenament settlement there.

This is probably the route the Ottomans would have persued if they had not run into problems with the Portuguese in the Indian Ocean.  I think the more pressing problem for the Byzantines here would be to pacify the Egyptian population in terms of religion.  Without a heavy Muslim influence there, the Byzantines would be faced with the old Monophysite heresy and other challenges to the Orthodox church.

I wonder if the Byzantines would break out their copies of Arrian to look for a methodology with which to conduct an expedition to India? Smile

Or, the Byzantines might establish trading depots in India that would be lucrative for both parties.  Would they have to completely conquer India to accomplish this?

Actually during the late period of the Byzantine, they were pretty slow in adopting the new weapon (could be that their continous defeat against the Ottomans failed to see how effective the Ottoman firearms can be without any capture of them).

The penury of the Byzantine state was also a reason for this.  The emperors did not have the resources to spend on hiring engineers and importing weapons in the late period. 

Even before the siege of 1453, we have references to the use of gunpowder weapons by John VII against the fortress of John V in 1390.  With the gaining of new lucrative trade routes, the Byzantines would finally have the resources to devote towards harnessing this new technology.

So with the new weapon, they could match against the Ottomans and secure their frontiers and their colony outpost in India considering they have superior firearm against the native Indians medieval weapons/tactics.

Interesting enough, the Indians had gunpowder weapons and put them to good use in the 15th and 16th centuries:

Iqtidar Alam Khan, Gunpowder and Firearms: Warfare in Medieval India (Oxford University Press, 2004).

Maybe India would be the source of Byzantium's gunpowder weapons and engineering?

I believe that the Byzantine would try to spread their religion into the Indian population but I dont see much effect as the population were very much deep into their own religion, mainly Hinduism.

Obviously, as most cultures do, the Indians would not look kindly upon Byzantine proselytizing.  But perhaps as the Byzantines establish trade depots in India, they could also build Orthodox churches for the merchants to visit away from home.  These could be the homebases for missionary activity, creating a subversive religious effect.

I think a strategy the Byzantine missionaries might pursue would be to allow syncretist tendencies at first.  The Indian Hindus would have big problems with outsiders coming in and telling them to abandon all their other gods in the pantheon.  Let them place Christ in the pantheon first and then go from there with a different strategy.

Also considering that the Byzantines are kinda like the representation of the old Hellenistic Greek culture, the Indians could naturally welcome back the people that once braved the Hindu Kush and found their way into India. So the remembrance of such a culture would certainly create a unity and favourism between the Byzantine and the Indians. It was too long before they last met some 800 years ago

Very interesting!  The Indian intellectuals might embrace the culture once again and form a connection.  One of my history professors used to say that statues of the Buddha and of various Hindu gods appeared with classical Greek faces after Alexander.  Perhaps we'll see Indian statues with the face of John VIII Palaiologos, after the medallion fashioned by the Florentine artist Pisanello! Big%20smile

Kamikaze 738 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Kamikaze 738 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2007 at 01:13

Considering the geological position of the Byzantine Empire situated in the southeast corner of Europe, always confronting against the Ottomans, I dont think that they can expand anywhere besides their own neighbors. Being surrounded by the different nations, they can hardly go beyond Spain or the Red Sea. The Byzantines would mostly go expanding on land and trying to reclaim their old terrorites before they go out beyond their known shores.

Why does everyone keep missing the premise of my question?  Lately Justinian has been the only one who dares to read it accurately and to play along.

Sorry, its just that the likely scenario of a Byzantine colonization is pretty unrealistic in terms of getting to the shores of either the Americans or the Indies. It would require the nation's common enemies (mainly the Ottomans) to be utterly defeated and having regime so powerful and stable that it could launch oversea expansions. Its a mighty task considering that the empire at the time was stable (according to your scenario) but it was not in peace but surrounded by enemies that are willing to strike at a moments notice.

Now, if you want to have me give my opinion on your questions, just say so LOL

1. Where would the Empire choose to expand to first, the Americas or the East Indies?

Again, considering the geological position of the empire... its hard to tell. But if the Byzantine would be able to retake control Egypt, I bet the Byzantines would be smart enough to finish the Seuz Canal and began trading with the Indies. They would be the first European nation to reach India as an organized expedition. That would bring great wealth to the Byzantines as many merchants and travellers would cross the Seuz Canal to reach the Far East and the Byzantines would benefit from the money they are making from ships passing through the canal and riches from India. If things are still going well in Anatolia and Syria, the Byzantines might just start some kind of prenament settlement there.

Byzantines in America is unlikely in my opinion.

2. Would the Byzantines utilize new technology such as gunpowder weapons / firearms in its conquests?

Supposely from the defeated Ottomans, which at the time had many gunpowder weapons, the Byzantine can utilize these weapons into standard arms. Actually during the late period of the Byzantine, they were pretty slow in adopting the new weapon (could be that their continous defeat against the Ottomans failed to see how effective the Ottoman firearms can be without any capture of them). So with the new weapon, they could match against the Ottomans and secure their frontiers and their colony outpost in India considering they have superior firearm against the native Indians medieval weapons/tactics.

3. Looking at other colonial powers as a model, how would the Byzantines treat the native populations and how would the natives view the Byzantines -- differently than the Spanish?

I believe that the Byzantine would try to spread their religion into the Indian population but I dont see much effect as the population were very much deep into their own religion, mainly Hinduism. Also considering that the Byzantines are kinda like the representation of the old Hellenistic Greek culture, the Indians could naturally welcome back the people that once braved the Hindu Kush and found their way into India. So the remembrance of such a culture would certainly create a unity and favourism between the Byzantine and the Indians. It was too long before they last met some 800 years ago Embarrassed

4. Describe what a late 16th and 17th century Byzantine colony might look like and how it would develop in its new location with limited communication with Byzantine civilization in the old empire back home.

I believe it would be very rich, bringing new wealth to the empire. The Byzantine at the time could even rival the powers of Spain and England at the time. Looking back into how Russia and many eastern countries are founded, they would be very much influenced by the Byzantine religion and culture. The connection between these nations could create a culture that flourished and prosper during the renaissance while western Europe is reforming. There would be two very powerful cultural blocks in Europe, Western Europe dominated with a science and discovery Catholicism and Protestant religion while Eastern Europe flourish with art and culture with the raising from of the Othodox religion.

Well, thats basically my opinion on your scenario. Hopefully this is enough to satisfy your needs for a good respones Tongue Tell me what you think Star
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>