Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What was the reaction to hippie movement in 60s?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Riteo View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Riteo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What was the reaction to hippie movement in 60s?
    Posted: 28-May-2016 at 15:03
Hi! I'm high school student and and they assigned me a project about the hippie movement .
I already have it made 70% but I lack the political reaction and the Church against this movement Confused
There is one who knows about it? 
Thanks very much!!Big smileBig smileBig smile
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2016 at 09:27
"South street, South street, That's where all the Hippies meet".

A line from a pop 60's song in Philly. I was in college during the 60's. I lived in Center City.
I can probably answer most of your ? if you can be more specific.

I'm not sure what you mean by "movement". The real Hippies were short lived and by 68 had largely dispersed and moved on. Don't confuse them with the anti war movement.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Riteo View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Riteo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2016 at 16:03
I refer to the movement of the real hippies. What I have understood, is that the Governor of California, Ronald Reagan, wasn't friendly with hippies, something like this.
The thing is that I'm not very sure of what happened there exactly.

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2016 at 09:53
To get background, google the "beatnik" movement of the 50's, also refd. to as "the Beat Generation". It was mainly centered in NYC. The hippie movement grew from that.

Your asking me to think about something that's 50 years back. You've got to help me by giving me some specifics.

In Philly, hippies were mainly in the area of South Street, Lombard st.
In Los Angeles, it was "Haight-Ashbury. That location was made famous by the Life Mag. article in 1968. That was about the "Summer of Love". It was mostly high school and college kids.
By 68, there were only a few real hippies left in H-A. Most were of a group refd to as "diggers".

Man! You've got me thinking about stuff I haven't thought about in many years.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2016 at 10:00
There is a man who owns an art gallery on South street. Izaiah Zagar is thought of as the "Last Hippie". His gallery is called The Eyes.

He's been there since approx. 1963. Google him. You should begin to get an idea of the basics of the movement.

Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2016 at 16:12
This is a link to a page by someone same age as myself. He had a similar experience and his memory is much better than mine.

http://oldhippie.jimgreenlee.com/hiphistory.html

Unknown.
Riteo View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Riteo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2016 at 17:31
Man! Stern Smile No, this is not the proper and correct way. I should say :
Sage! Clap Yes, this is it

Honesty I don't know that I could specify more. to you. 
I even deepened much therein.  I only just reply (at least try) questionnaires about the hippie movement.
For what? So then I give me against the wall, finding myself with as much information that disorientated me Geek
 Post Reply Post Reply

Quick Reply
Name:

Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code Load New Code
Please enter the Security Code exactly as shown in image format.
Cookies must be enabled on your web browser.