Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Support the Return of the Parthenon Marbles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 14>
Author
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Support the Return of the Parthenon Marbles
    Posted: 09-Jun-2007 at 07:57
My effort is to keep this part of the forum free from trolling and flame wars. If some forumers care to debate the Parthenon marbles issue calmly and with respect to one another this is fine, otherwise they will face the consequences according to our code of conduct. I've been around long enough to distinguish ones motives.
I myself also feel that racial continuity is of no relevance, still this is not a topic to be discussed in this thread.

So please let's all stick to the topic and comment based on arguments.
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2007 at 16:09
Originally posted by New User

did my post offend? Apologies if that was the case I just thought the should go back into context in Athens..Smile

My post actually pertained to bylazora, not you. Apologies for the misunderstanding.
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2007 at 16:42
And for the record, the demand for re-patriation of the marbles is not tied to nationalism. No one in their right mind would claim ancient and modern Greeks are the same. Yet the LAND is the same, the ALPHABET is the same, and there has been CULTURAL CONTINUITY through continuous occupation of roughly the same geographical area. It is the same with Egypt, Italy, Mexico, Peru, China. None of these populations is genetically identical to their ancestors of 2,000 years ago. Yet, artifacts are found and returned to them based on the principles that i mentioned. Why should it be different with Greece?
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2007 at 16:44
This is a neat way to up my post countLOLLOL
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2007 at 01:17

Say that they requested the marbles on the grounds that they were mishandled. There is no guarantee that they won't be mishandled in Athens either. Mistakes happen.

Second, they can be studied just as well in London, as they can anywhere else. I mean, really!

So finally, I am arguing that they want them on nationalist grounds - based on ideas of ''continuity'', when every normative historical process to date cries out otherwise. I can see how this could 'inflame' certain Greek nationalists - but that is the whole point - if they weren't nationalists this kind of stuff wouldn't bother them - before I get ''banned'' for stating the obvious what is plain to me and probably obvious to others is how damn sensitive these Greeks are to anything that challenges their ''continuity'' - so I guess its everyone elses problem too.

cheers.
bylazora (Shannon)
this could be goodbye!
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2007 at 18:15
Originally posted by bylazora

Say that they requested the marbles on the grounds that they were mishandled. There is no guarantee that they won't be mishandled in Athens either. Mistakes happen.

Second, they can be studied just as well in London, as they can anywhere else. I mean, really!

So finally, I am arguing that they want them on nationalist grounds - based on ideas of ''continuity'', when every normative historical process to date cries out otherwise. I can see how this could 'inflame' certain Greek nationalists - but that is the whole point - if they weren't nationalists this kind of stuff wouldn't bother them - before I get ''banned'' for stating the obvious what is plain to me and probably obvious to others is how damn sensitive these Greeks are to anything that challenges their ''continuity'' - so I guess its everyone elses problem too.

cheers.
bylazora (Shannon)
this could be goodbye!

What is a "normative" historian? And could you post some names of historians who argue against cultural continuity since ancient times on the Greek mainland? This of course does not mean genetic continuity. It would be silly to engage in such a discussion. The Parthenon is in Athens, what other proof of "continuity" do we need?

Your tone "how damn sensitive these greeks are" is anti-Hellenic. So, in my oppinion, the issue here is not the marbles, or any cultural continuity but your own latent feelings of anti-Hellenism. And that's  not  "everyone else's problem too", just your ownWink
Southerneighbr View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Southerneighbr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2007 at 05:22

how damn sensitive these Greeks are to anything that challenges their ''continuity'' - so I guess its everyone elses problem too.

No level-headed Greek believes he has a continuous blood relationship with the ancients.

The ''sensetivities'' of certain Greeks are rather imposed or artificial,since one way or another the modern Greek state propagates our alleged continuity from the ancient Greeks.

Those sensetivities are not to be taken under serious consideration since the nationalistists in Greece are few and the rest of the Greeks dont care of what they might think,since they are the ones harming Greece the most.

Your arguement of mistreatment of the marbles in the Acropolis museum is not valid.As i said,the museum is gonna be a true heritage for all mankind and probably the best in the world.London has no more stupid excuses as we base our claims on a cultural continuity and Athens is the right place the marbles to be.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2007 at 08:28

Our continuity is besides the point to this topic. I do invite you to start a thread about how we are not related to the people that lived in our country through the ages. Such threads, if started with genuine reasons, can bring out some interesting points that i haven't thought of.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2007 at 02:31
Originally posted by konstantinius

cheers.
bylazora (Shannon)
this could be goodbye!
What is a "normative" historian? And could you post some names of historians who argue against cultural continuity since ancient times on the Greek mainland? This of course does not mean genetic continuity. It would be silly to engage in such a discussion. The Parthenon is in Athens, what other proof of "continuity" do we need? Your tone "how damn sensitive these greeks are" is anti-Hellenic. So, in my oppinion, the issue here is not the marbles, or any cultural continuity but your own latent feelings of anti-Hellenism. And that's not "everyone else's problem too", just your ownWink

I used normative, in the context of 'normative historical processes'...in the sense that down the ages, there were changes to the landscape...let me give you an example...mmm Albanian migrations into Greece in the 17th and 18th centuries, you know, changes in demographics and all of that - perhaps another was that Macedonia (the place) was the birthplace of Slavic liturgy and alphabet...you know...Turkish rule for hundreds of years...etc

I havn't read alot of material on this subject - to be honest, I havn't found any book that specifically argues against cultural continuity - except maybe in terms of language...??

The Parthenon is an example of something from the past that has survived.

I wasn't trying to be ''anti-Hellenic'' - but don't you think that that kind of response sought of proves my point in a way - that in fact, you are 'sensitive' to issues of race and continuity ??

Anyway, in hindsight I reckon I overstepped the mark a bit. I could have chosen my words more carefully, so I apologise if I've offended you in any way.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2007 at 02:42
Originally posted by Leonidas

Our continuity is besides the point to this topic. I do invite you to start a thread about how we are not related to the people that lived in our country through the ages. Such threads, if started with genuine reasons, can bring out some interesting points that i haven't thought of.

No, I believe you are very much related and descended from people who lived in and around the aegean, and arrived from elsewhere in the last century.

My point is that I don't believe you can say you are 'ancient Greeks' - it just seems a bit far fetched, if you take my meaning. I have liberal views about colonialism and conquest, and I believe that Greece has been a very interesting and diverse place, in the past - but for some reason Greeks see this as a negative, whereas I see its ethnic diversity, in historical terms, as a positive. Anyway...this will need another topic. Full stop.

Edited by bylazora - 15-Jun-2007 at 02:43
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2007 at 21:09

cheers.
bylazora (Shannon)
this could be goodbye!
What is a "normative" historian? And could you post some names of historians who argue against cultural continuity since ancient times on the Greek mainland? This of course does not mean genetic continuity. It would be silly to engage in such a discussion. The Parthenon is in Athens, what other proof of "continuity" do we need? Your tone "how damn sensitive these greeks are" is anti-Hellenic. So, in my oppinion, the issue here is not the marbles, or any cultural continuity but your own latent feelings of anti-Hellenism. And that's  not  "everyone else's problem too", just your ownWink

I used normative, in the context of 'normative historical processes'...in the sense that down the ages, there were changes to the landscape...let me give you an example...mmm Albanian migrations into Greece in the 17th and 18th centuries, you know, changes in demographics and all of that - perhaps another was that Macedonia (the place) was the birthplace of Slavic liturgy and alphabet...you know...Turkish rule for hundreds of years...etc
Albanian migrations in the 17th and 18th centuries? Hah! What about the massive 300-year long Slavic incursions at the beginning of the "Dark ages" or the 400-year long Ottoman overuleship? The point i'm trying to make is that there have been much more serious earlier incursions that lasted much longer and were perpetrated by much larger groups that operated on state level (perhaps an exaggeration for slavs). Yet, the culture (if religion and language are any indicators) survived and bounced back in every case. This doesn't mean that elements were not borrowed and incorporated into the culture thus changing and shaping it in the process (please lets not start arguing again about the origin of the word "yogurt"). But there hasn't been a lapse in the changing (according to the ages) idea of what it is to be "Hellenic" since those ancient days.
I havn't read alot of material on this subject - to be honest, I havn't found any book that specifically argues against cultural continuity - except maybe in terms of language...??
Perhaps you haven't looked hard enoughWink

The Parthenon is an example of something from the past that has survived.
So has the mosaic  Greek culture, changing and adapting over the centuries.

I wasn't trying to be ''anti-Hellenic'' - but don't you think that that kind of response sought of proves my point in a way - that in fact, you are 'sensitive' to issues of race and continuity ??
Damn right I am (not so much on race, though)! So is everyone else in the Balkans. Are you N. European or American by any chance?

Anyway, in hindsight I reckon I overstepped the mark a bit. I could have chosen my words more carefully, so I apologise if I've offended you in any way.
Thank you for having the magnanimity to apologise, though I personally wasn't offended nor do I think you actually wrote anything outright offensive. In the beginning I was ticked off by your forum name and thought that you were intentionally assuming an inflamatory stance on the issue. I posted a nasty reply to one of your posts that (thankfully in retrospect) was erased by Yiannis. Though you haven't read it, i feel that it's my turn to apologize since you don't seem to deserve the vehemence expressed in it.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2007 at 11:20
so i take it, bylazora, that you don't want to make a proper case in another thread? (for the sake of this one)

stating your opinion doesn't make it fact.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2007 at 01:13
Originally posted by Leonidas

so i take it, bylazora, that you don't want to make a proper case in another thread? (for the sake of this one)stating your opinion doesn't make it fact.

Sure. How should I word it? Some suggestions.

A historically multi-cultural/ethnic Greece?

I'm looking for accounts/events/observations...etc that demonstrate Modern Greece's "Otherness" - its diversity, its multi-ethnic, multi-cultural origins...etc

How does that sound?

Edited by bylazora - 19-Jun-2007 at 01:13
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2007 at 01:17

cheers.
bylazora (Shannon)
this could be goodbye!
What is a "normative" historian? And could you post some names of historians who argue against cultural continuity since ancient times on the Greek mainland? This of course does not mean genetic continuity. It would be silly to engage in such a discussion. The Parthenon is in Athens, what other proof of "continuity" do we need? Your tone "how damn sensitive these greeks are" is anti-Hellenic. So, in my oppinion, the issue here is not the marbles, or any cultural continuity but your own latent feelings of anti-Hellenism. And that's not "everyone else's problem too", just your ownWink

Albanian migrations in the 17th and 18th centuries? Hah! What about the massive 300-year long Slavic incursions at the beginning of the "Dark ages" or the 400-year long Ottoman overuleship? The point i'm trying to make is that there have been much more serious earlier incursions that lasted much longer and were perpetrated by much larger groups that operated on state level (perhaps an exaggeration for slavs). Yet, the culture (if religion and language are any indicators) survived and bounced back in every case. This doesn't mean that elements were not borrowed and incorporated into the culture thus changing and shaping it in the process (please lets not start arguing again about the origin of the word "yogurt"). But there hasn't been a lapse in the changing (according to the ages) idea of what it is to be "Hellenic" since those ancient days.I havn't read alot of material on this subject - to be honest, I havn't found any book that specifically argues against cultural continuity - except maybe in terms of language...??Perhaps you haven't looked hard enoughWink
The Parthenon is an example of something from the past that has survived.So has the mosaic Greek culture, changing and adapting over the centuries.
I wasn't trying to be ''anti-Hellenic'' - but don't you think that that kind of response sought of proves my point in a way - that in fact, you are 'sensitive' to issues of race and continuity ??Damn right I am (not so much on race, though)! So is everyone else in the Balkans. Are you N. European or American by any chance?
Anyway, in hindsight I reckon I overstepped the mark a bit. I could have chosen my words more carefully, so I apologise if I've offended you in any way.Thank you for having the magnanimity to apologise, though I personally wasn't offended nor do I think you actually wrote anything outright offensive. In the beginning I was ticked off by your forum name and thought that you were intentionally assuming an inflamatory stance on the issue. I posted a nasty reply to one of your posts that (thankfully in retrospect) was erased by Yiannis. Though you haven't read it, i feel that it's my turn to apologize since you don't seem to deserve the vehemence expressed in it.

why were you clippy about my forum name? I don't get it. Anyway, moving right along, I don't know what the big fuss is over these marbles - there are ancient Greek artefacts everywhere, right ?
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2007 at 05:39
Once again: This thread is about the parthenon Marbles and we intend to keep is as such. Please do not post irrelevant issues or they will be deleted without notice and you may face consequences according to the Code of Conduct.

I will review the thread and may delete posts that are irrelevant to the topic.

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2007 at 09:06
Bylazora,

One of the tangents that members tend to go off on usually involves ethnicity. With this in mind I see that you have also made it a point to discuss the history of ancient and modern Greeks. However, that is not the topic of this thread. As Yiannis has previously stated, the focus of this discussion is on the Parthenon marbles and the debate whether or not to return them to Greece
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2007 at 00:25
Originally posted by Seko

Bylazora,

One of the tangents that members tend to go off on usuallyinvolves ethnicity. With this in mind I see that you have also made it a point to discuss the history of ancient and modern Greeks. However, that is not the topic of this thread. As Yiannis has previously stated, the focus of this discussion is on the Parthenon marbles and the debatewhether or not toreturn them to Greece

I gave reasons why the marble should not be returned. Go back and read my posts before you comment, or kiss my white Irish but.

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2007 at 06:35
Bylazora has been banned for the above comment.
Hopefully we'll now return into discussing based on arguments and raise the level of discussion.

Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2007 at 13:48
I'm having trouble controlling my emotions so forgive me if I come across too harsh.  Basically it is a matter of right and wrong.  The British are WRONG.  I don't care about their pathetic excuses, they are been in britain for 200 years?  Thats the most pathetic thing I have ever heard in my life.  The British economy won't collapse if the marbles are returned.  All art treasures that were looted or stolen should be returned, no matter what.  Some have said the British Museum will be barren if that happens...irrelevant.  Same thing happens to the Louvre...also irrelevant.  The money excuse shows nothing but greed. 
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2007 at 07:38
How about having a poll on this subject? 
elenos
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 14>