Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ninkasi & Baccus

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Arthur-Robin View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Arthur-Robin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ninkasi & Baccus
    Posted: 21-Aug-2015 at 06:58
Not sure if this is of interest but Javan in the table of 70/72 nations of Genesis 10 (OT of the Bible) means "wine (effervesce)" according to some sources.
http://www.christianityboard.com/topic/21830-table-of-70-nations-gen-10/

-----

I take it back there is a rush, if no one lets me know roughly when the the Allempires problems will be fixed (keeps logging me out all the time, and can't visit direct from address bar but have to come via ebooks (the direct goes to the site host as if the site/forum has been removed)) then i will not be posting anymore. (Looks like i am no longer a valued original poster.)
General
General

Quote Arthur-Robin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2015 at 05:46
ps light reference book says barley is high altitude & colder climates & short grow season, and grapevines are Mediterranean(-like) area/clime, so there is sort-of some border even if overlaps.

General
General

Quote Arthur-Robin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2015 at 19:23

Perhaps if you look up geography/atlas/statesman/wiki resources maps/lists on grapes and on barley/malt & hops, and on climate. Though climates have changed at times in history. There will be places with one, other, both, and/or neither.
My statesman year book products index lists lots of countries with barley (sorry to many to list). My collins atlas also has barley in crops map (too few to list).
Some cultures had other drinks like kvasir, kumiss, vodka, kava.

----
Thanks Medenaywe,
There is no rush just as long as i know someone is/will be doing something when can.

Aeoli View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Aeoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2015 at 11:26
Originally posted by Arthur-Robin

Just interested : What was/is your reason/purpose for the wine & beer gods in which cultures and in Sumer area?

Just curiosity, is there any cultural border between beer and wine in MiddleEast? I don't know much things about beer gods and  I don't think they used as much as wine god baccus in the renaissance art, so learning something about beer gods would be interesting.

in simply, I thought that example 

Greeks had just wine god

Some Anatolian culture had wine and beer gods 

and some culture in the south mesopotamia had just beer god. Because of the climate was not good for the vineyard

but it seems many cultures have both gods so my mission is failed LOL
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2015 at 07:07
ok i will fix them all.Be patient!Smile
General
General

Quote Arthur-Robin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2015 at 07:00
I forgot to include that El/Il was helplessly drunk on 1 occasion [like Noah] (Phoenician/Canaanite).
Also found Tuis "magic pigskin, turn water into wine" (Celtic).

I think Bacchus seems to be from Bhaga:

[Buzur (Sumerian)? or Ba(h)u/Bakus (Sumerian)?]
Bhaga (Indian); or Bikukshi (Indian)?
[Buga (Central/North Asia)]
Bagisht (Afghan)
Bugas (Kassite)?
Bagam (Armenian) &/or Arbag (Armenian)
Bagbartu/Bagmashtu/Bagvarti (Hittite/Urartian)?
Baki(s) (Lydian)
Bakkhos/Bagchios (Greek)
Bacchus (Roman)
Bog (Slav)
Baugi (Norse)?
Gwion Bach (Celt)??

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?179319-Indo-European-deities-origins

Just interested : What was/is your reason/purpose for the wine & beer gods in which cultures and in Sumer area?

----
I have tried clearing my cookies to see if that is the problem with AE problems all this year. (Finally found where they are in recent new Firefox options. Can't find them in IE options now.) Hasn't worked though.

Edited by Arthur-Robin - 15-Aug-2015 at 07:02
Aeoli View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Aeoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2015 at 02:29
Originally posted by Arthur-Robin

Noah was drunk on wine
Venus goddess of vineyards
Ra/Re flooded the world with beer
Linguists trace the word wine/vine back to somewhere around Armenia.
Sabit/Siduri is described by some as connected with wine/beer.
Halki may have been invoked by beer makers.
Indr god of wine.
Dionysos/Bacchus/Liber.
Ninkasi goddess of beer.
Gobniu god of ale-brewing.
Radegast invented beer.
Cesar de Saussure said "Would you believe it, though water is to be had in abudnance in London, and of fairly good quality, absolutely none is drunk? The lower classes, even the paupers, do not know what it is to quench their thirst with water. In this country nothing but beer is drunk...."

----
I won't be posting here anymore. The forum problems i compained about have not been resolved. (I keep being logged out all the time. The direct address bar doesn't work only via ebooks link. etc.) Don't tell me again that the forum host/admin people have a life/busy, because it ihas been ages and my time/etc is also important.

Venus goddess of vineyards, it is interesting. I thought it was Baccus but I checked yes you are right.

According to Baccus is just god of wine, isn't he? and Is this same during of roman pagaizm. Sometimes gods can loose so feature or gain new.

and thanks to information about RA, I have noted it too.

I am feeling terrible not to know Hittite god

but the issue is turning mass. How many they are Big smile

General
General

Quote Arthur-Robin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2015 at 01:19
Noah was drunk on wine
Venus goddess of vineyards
Ra/Re flooded the world with beer
Linguists trace the word wine/vine back to somewhere around Armenia.
Sabit/Siduri is described by some as connected with wine/beer.
Halki may have been invoked by beer makers.
Indr god of wine.
Dionysos/Bacchus/Liber.
Ninkasi goddess of beer.
Gobniu god of ale-brewing.
Radegast invented beer.
Cesar de Saussure said "Would you believe it, though water is to be had in abudnance in London, and of fairly good quality, absolutely none is drunk? The lower classes, even the paupers, do not know what it is to quench their thirst with water. In this country nothing but beer is drunk...."

----
I won't be posting here anymore. The forum problems i compained about have not been resolved. (I keep being logged out all the time. The direct address bar doesn't work only via ebooks link. etc.) Don't tell me again that the forum host/admin people have a life/busy, because it ihas been ages and my time/etc is also important.

Aeoli View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Aeoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2015 at 12:18
Which culture  has wine gods, which has beer god?

Does Demeter have some contact wih Beer?

I don't thing Sumerians have wine god, but where was the cultural border? What about Mitanni and Assyrians?
 Post Reply Post Reply