Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Spear identification

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Almaz View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Almaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spear identification
    Posted: 15-Apr-2014 at 05:24
Hi. could anyone please help me to identificate spear, its age, type and origin. All what I know about it is that it was brought by civil cargo pilot in 60-70 from Africa. Spear made of iron as it attract magnet. The dimensions as follows: blade: length - 22 cm, width - 3cm, thikness - 0.1 cm. full length 43 cm. width of foundation for shaft - from 2.5 cm to 1 cm.

Almaz View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Almaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2014 at 05:26
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2014 at 10:29
If it were a stone [flint etc.] point I might be able to give an approx. on age and manufacture.  With it being of forged iron, the best I can give is a guess.  The Masai / Nandi used several different types, sometimes based on tribal status.  The length and style of your spear would appear to be Masai, of the type used by senior warriors. 
Again, it's a guess, an educated one, but still a guess.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Almaz View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Almaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2014 at 23:09
Thank you very much, at least I got some clues. I understand that it is dufficult to get age, but at least aproximately, when that type of spear could be made. like in 18th or 19th century, could it be made in 20th century ))) Also is that a real spear or souvernir for tourist?
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2014 at 00:11
Originally posted by Almaz

Thank you very much, at least I got some clues. I understand that it is dufficult to get age, but at least aproximately, when that type of spear could be made. like in 18th or 19th century, could it be made in 20th century ))) Also is that a real spear or souvernir for tourist?

Without being able to handle it, I really can't say if it's a repro or gen. Even then, if it's a good knock off, it can be hard to tell.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
 Post Reply Post Reply