Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Irish are Really the Sons of Mil

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
mojobadshah View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mojobadshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Irish are Really the Sons of Mil
    Posted: 12-Jan-2014 at 14:27

The Salian Franks, a Germanic speaking people, traced their ancestry to the Sicambri, a clan of Cimmerians, via the Carolingians and Merovigians (cf. Merlin “Born from the Sea”).   Clovis (466-511 CE) the Merovingian was responsible for having united the Frankish empire.   He was the first Christian king of France, and during his baptism he was referred to as a Sicambri.

beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2014 at 15:40
Originally posted by mojobadshah

The Plantagenets were a junior branch of the House of Anjou whose senior branch was the House of Vere whose ancestry was jointly Pictish and Merovingian descending from the ancient Grail House of Scythia.

The Sicambri were Scythians.

The de Veres can't trace their origins far back than Aubrey who died around 1110 and they were probably Normans. The Anjous can only trace their origins back till Ingelger, who lived in the 9th century. A Tertullus was named as his father, but first in a source from the 12th century. Their family origins is not connected with the merovingians. And besides this, the merovingians have no Scythian origin. I would like to see your evidence for it!
At least, the Sigambri appear a several times in ancient sources, as germanics. I would like to see as well your evidence for a Scythian origin.

beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2014 at 15:52

The Salian Franks, a Germanic speaking people, traced their ancestry to the Sicambri, a clan of Cimmerians, via the Carolingians and Merovigians (cf. Merlin “Born from the Sea”).   Clovis (466-511 CE) the Merovingian was responsible for having united the Frankish empire.   He was the first Christian king of France, and during his baptism he was referred to as a Sicambri.

No, Gregor only wrote, "proud Sugambri". Whether Clovis, who died one generation before gregor was born, called himself so is unknown. The Sugambri disappeared in the 1st century CE. They were settled left of the Rhine by the Romans after they were defeated. Salians are first mentioned in 357 CE, Franks were first known in 291 CE. Hard to construct any relation between Sugambri and Salii. Merovingian traditions show as well connections with North Sea germanic people, but not with the steppe.
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2014 at 04:12

I'm not saying the Celts are Iranian.  The Celts speak Celtic languages and the Iranians speak Iranian languages.  The Iranians who migrated to Europe became the aristocracy.  Clovis called himself a Sicambri "Scythian."  The Queen of England, and all the Presidents of the U.S.A. except for maybe Obama, their line can be traced back to the Scythians.  I don't find it hard to believe their were migrations into Europe including Ireland that left an effect that is lasting to today.       

Not that I believed you, but I googled some Presidents's ancestry cos i was curious. I looked e.g. for Reagan, Bush, Carter, Nixon. The Reagans are the only family as far as I could see, who could maybe claim a long family tradition, if they are really related with the Uí Riagáin. The rest can trace its origins sometimes back till the 16th century. Washington, if the family tree I found is correct, can claim a famous origin via the english de Washington
Consul
Consul

Quote mojobadshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2014 at 07:30
Originally posted by beorna

No, Gregor only wrote, "proud Sugambri". Whether Clovis, who died one generation before gregor was born, called himself so is unknown. The Sugambri disappeared in the 1st century CE. They were settled left of the Rhine by the Romans after they were defeated. Salians are first mentioned in 357 CE, Franks were first known in 291 CE. Hard to construct any relation between Sugambri and Salii. Merovingian traditions show as well connections with North Sea germanic people, but not with the steppe.

In Roman and Merovingian times, it was a custom to declare panegyrics. These poetic declarations were held for fun or propaganda to entertain guests and please rulers. Those panegyrics played an important role in the transmission of culture. One of the ritual customs of these poetic declarations is the use of archaic names for contemporary things. Romans were often called Trojans, and Salian Franks were called Sicambri. An example of this custom is remembered by the 6th century historian Gregory of Tours (II, 31), who states that the Merovingian Frankish leader Clovis I, on the occasion of his baptism into the Catholic faith, was addressed as a Sicamber by Saint Remigius, the officiating bishop of Rheims. At the crucial moment of Clovis' baptism, Remigius declared, "Now you must bend down your head, you proud Sicamber. Honour what you have burnt. Burn what you have honoured." It is likely that this recalled a link between the Sicambri and the Salian Franks, who were Clovis' people.

More examples of Salians being called Sicamber can be found in the Panegyrici Latini, Life of King Sigismund, Life of King Dagobert and other old texts.

Consul
Consul

Quote mojobadshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2014 at 07:38

In Roman and Merovingian times, it was a custom to declare panegyrics. These poetic declarations were held for fun or propaganda to entertain guests and please rulers. Those panegyrics played an important role in the transmission of culture. One of the ritual customs of these poetic declarations is the use of archaic names for contemporary things. Romans were often called Trojans, and Salian Franks were called Sicambri. An example of this custom is remembered by the 6th century historian Gregory of Tours (II, 31), who states that the Merovingian Frankish leader Clovis I, on the occasion of his baptism into the Catholic faith, was addressed as a Sicamber by Saint Remigius, the officiating bishop of Rheims. At the crucial moment of Clovis' baptism, Remigius declared, "Now you must bend down your head, you proud Sicamber. Honour what you have burnt. Burn what you have honoured." It is likely that this recalled a link between the Sicambri and the Salian Franks, who were Clovis' people.

More examples of Salians being called Sicamber can be found in the Panegyrici Latini, Life of King Sigismund, Life of King Dagobert and other old texts.

Consul
Consul

Quote mojobadshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2014 at 07:39
The Carolingian kings of the Franks traced Merovingian ancestry to the Germanic tribe of the Sicambri. Gregory of Tours documents in his History of the Franks that when Clovis was baptised, he was referred to as a Sicamber with the words "Mitis depone colla, Sicamber, adora quod incendisti, incendi quod adorasti."'. The Chronicle of Fredegar in turn reveals that the Franks believed the Sicambri to be a tribe of Scythian or Cimmerian descent, who had changed their name to Franks in honour of their chieftain Franco in 11 BC.
Consul
Consul

Quote mojobadshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2014 at 07:41
http://wakeup-world.com/2011/07/04/are-all-but-one-us-presidents-related/
Consul
Consul

Quote mojobadshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2014 at 07:42
http://www.whenthenewsstops.org/2012/08/girl-traces-us-presidents-family-tree.html
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2014 at 07:55

The greeks said, noble is who has ancestors, a father or a grandfather, who was known. Greeks and Romans had a long history, while the germanic and celtic nations had no historiography and didn't know much about their history despite sagas. But these sagas contain a lot of fiction, interpretation and falsification. A good example is the Nibelung saga. The Burgundians were destroyed by Huns, but not by Huns of Attila, but by Roman troops of Hunnic origin under Aetius. The Burgundians were as well not visiting Attila, but were destroyed in Gaul. Several people in these saga weren't contemporary and maybe some like Siegfried even fiction. Or look at the Artus myth. An Artus did never exist, but there are several warlords who could have been the real Artus or maybe the mythical Arthus is a mix of all.
When the barbarians learned about the mediterranian historiography, they tried to adopt it, like the Romans claimed descendents from the Troans. The Franks have several myths and even the Saxons are during the medieval said to be the rests of the army of Alexander. That is as true as the descendence of some early English dynasties from Wotan or the descendence of the merovingians from a Bistea Neptuni Minotaurus similis.
The origins of the franks lay in the dark. So it is possible that the merovingians were descendents of Sugambrian nobility, which is well-known during the times of Augustus. But that's the point. Gregor was educated in these old historiography. So it is very likely, that he named Clovis as Sugambr, because he knew, that during the times of Cesar and Augustus the Sugambri were famous. It is not at all proven, that Remigius used that title.
And as i wrote above, a relation between Sugambri and franki seems to be unlikely, cos the Sugambri disappeared from history long before the appearence of the Franks.
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2014 at 08:47

http://www.whenthenewsstops.org/2012/08/girl-traces-us-presidents-family-tree.html

But as you see, even Barak obama!Tongue

I have learned several things in the internet. One thing is, that I do not trust genealogies I haven't verified by myself. I am doing family research too and I once found a great family tree of an progenitrix. This tree related here with persian, babylonian, assyrian, makedonian and jewish kings, it even made these progenetrix (and so me) a descendent of pharao necho II. When I tried to verify these tree I very quickly found, that there were, to be handsome, some faults in it. Sometimes a child was added to the wrong father or mother or if a generation or parents weren't know, they were invented. It was a very smart done family tree, but a faked one.
I do not know the family research of these young girl. So I don't want to claim she faked it, even not that she made mistakes. But if you can't link the tree here, so that I or others can verify it, I am sceptical.

What I concede is, that if you go back in time and use the male and female lines, you can get a lot of people as ancestors. especially if you have anoble person, even if it is just a single one, the chance to be related withlots of nobles is great.
I told you above, I share ancestors with the queen, too. The farer you go back in time, the more famous people one can find. E.g. can I trace a line back to Hugo Capet, my 35th greatg-randfather. Hugo Capet is a 4th great-grandson of Imma of Schwaben, who belongs to the Agilolfingers. The Agilolfingers are related with the lethinge, kings of the Lombards. I am as well related with henry I of france, my 33rd great-grandfather. Via him I am related with emperors like Leo Vi and Basileos I (or maybe Michael IIIWinkfor insider!), via him I am as well with the above mentione Ingelger, the first of the Anjou. In Ireland I am related with Loisig Mac Morda, Donnchad mac Domnaill Remair, Brian Boruma, and tadg mac cathal. I have Charlemagne a several times in my tree, all around the 40th great-grandfather. I have as well Louis IV L'Outremer as 35th great-grandfather. Via him I am related with Alfred the Great, who himself is said to be the 7th grat-grandson of Bertha, a daughter of Charibert I, himself the great-son of Clovis. Clovis wife is a Burgundian, descendent of Gundiok, probably the son of Gundahar of Burgundy. Well, I could go on for hours. And if the young girl is right I share the same ancestor with the US presidents, John Lackland, my 26th great-grandfather.
26th great-grandfather means, that John Lackland is 1 of 268.435.456 theoretically grandparents in that generation (if I calculated correct). Just imagine how many others could claim descendence of him, too, if the would knew about their ancestry?
Windemere View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Windemere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2014 at 11:11
Thanks for all of the above posts.

There are probably a great many people throughout the world who descend from Charlemagne, Hugh Capet, Brian Boru, Alfred the Great.( Anyone who descends from King John of England (John Lackland) automatically has a descent from Alfred the Great).  These people likely have innumerable descendants. But being able to trace the descent is impressive.

Hugh Capet's agnatic (male) line is still extant, in the person of the Bourbons and the Braganzas. Brian Boru's agnatic line is also extant, in the person of the Barons Inchiquin. I believe that Eudes the Insane of Vermandois was the last agnatic descendant of Charlemagne.

I believe that the Bertha, daughter of Charibert, mentioned above, is Bertha (Bigfoot), the mother of Charlemagne. So this gives Charlemagne a descent from Clovis, and thus connects the Carolingians to the Merovingians.

I've found Genealogics.org to be a very useful and dependable genealogy site for tracing noble ancestors and descendants. I've only found one mistake in it, in a German noble family, and it isn't a serious one. In a few places, it is questionable. (It uses very questionable evidence in listing descendants of Henry VIII of England, who may not have any extant descendants at all). But in the main, it's a useful and dependable site.

Edited by Windemere - 13-Jan-2014 at 11:16
Windemere
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2014 at 11:51
Originally posted by Windemere

Thanks for all of the above posts.

There are probably a great many people throughout the world who descend from Charlemagne, Hugh Capet, Brian Boru, Alfred the Great.( Anyone who descends from King John of England (John Lackland) automatically has a descent from Alfred the Great).  These people likely have innumerable descendants. But being able to trace the descent is impressive.

I allways joke, find one, get all.Big smile

Hugh Capet's agnatic (male) line is still extant, in the person of the Bourbons and the Braganzas. Brian Boru's agnatic line is also extant, in the person of the Barons Inchiquin. I believe that Eudes the Insane of Vermandois was the last agnatic descendant of Charlemagne.

Didn't know that.

I believe that the Bertha, daughter of Charibert, mentioned above, is Bertha (Bigfoot), the mother of Charlemagne. So this gives Charlemagne a descent from Clovis, and thus connects the Carolingians to the Merovingians.

Charlemagne's mother is bertha, daughter of heribert de laon. His father is unknown, but his mother was Bertrada, the daughter of Hugobert, seneshal for the merovingians. The Bertha, who was the daughter of Childerich I and Ingoberga, married Aethelberht of Kent. As far as I know was Charlemagne not related with the Merovingians or at least it can't be proven.
Windemere View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Windemere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2014 at 12:26
that is true. Bertha Bigfoot, the mother of Charlemagne, was the daughter of Charibert (Heribert) of Laon, but there is no known descent for him from the Merovingians. So the Carlingians and the Merovingians do not connect, after all.
The Bertha mentioned above (the daughter of Childeric and Ingoberga) is a different individual, who apparently does have a Merovingian descent. Thanks for your help.

Edited by Windemere - 13-Jan-2014 at 12:35
Windemere
Consul
Consul

Quote mojobadshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2014 at 17:39
Haven't you seen the King Arthur movie where he's a Sarmation? Also might be worth reading "From Scythia to Camelot."  And Celtic god Lugh's weapon is a fiery spear from Persia.  

Also, the House of Anjou were incorporated into the Grail legend of Parzival as the lineage of Fisher Kings known as Gahumert, Gandin, Percival and his brother Feirefiz.  Gahmuert was a corruption of the name Gayomaretan, the first mortal in Zoroastrianism.

toyomotor View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

BANNED TROLL

Quote toyomotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2014 at 20:32

Pretty much every generation that made its way into Ireland according to myth came out of Scythia.  Even Mil came out of Scythia according to the myth.  But there is physical evidence to corroborate a Scythian-Celtic connection.  The fact that the Irish were so adamant that they came out of Scythia, and the Scots, and the Saxons, and the Swedes must mean that there was at least a cultural connection to the Scythians.  

As you say,myth! In his book "The Origins of the Irish" J.P.Mallory contends that, essentially, the first Irish came from England and Western Europe, probably France. The Celtic wave took off in Ireland without signs of invasion. It was the Irish who took the Gaelic Culture to Scotland, along with Christianity. There is no evidence of Saxon or Swedish intervention, but, much later in history, there is proof of Viking settlements, probably Danish, I think.
toyomotor View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

BANNED TROLL

Quote toyomotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2014 at 20:37
Further to my last post, there is much academic argument as to whether or not Mil Espana, or Miletius or his sons ever visited Ireland, although there seems to be some consensus that he did live about the time of Ptomely II. I have not seen any evidence of him having been Scythian, although that's what the myths say. Do you have any references about this?
Consul
Consul

Quote mojobadshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2014 at 20:56
Mil means soldier from L. Miletus.  He is as just as much a myth as his Scythian origins.   But that's still cool.
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2014 at 02:29

Haven't you seen the King Arthur movie where he's a Sarmation? Also might be worth reading "From Scythia to Camelot."  And Celtic god Lugh's weapon is a fiery spear from Persia.

I saw the movie. But that what it is, a movie. It is based on a roman commander Lucius Artorius Castus, chief of a sarmatian unit of the Roman army in the late 2nd century. The Artus of the saga mainly fought against the saxons, which was 200 years later. But that's what I said above. The mythical Artus can be a conglomerate of several persons.

Also, the House of Anjou were incorporated into the Grail legend of Parzival as the lineage of Fisher Kings known as Gahumert, Gandin, Percival and his brother Feirefiz.  Gahmuert was a corruption of the name Gayomaretan, the first mortal in Zoroastrianism.

Wolfram of Eschenbach probably invented these story in the late 12th or early 13th century, in its first part based on the Parzival of Chretien de Troyes. But the oriental journey is as it seems an invention of Eschenbach. There are a lot of stories, lots of myths, e.g. that the merovingians are descendents of Jesus via Maria Magdalena. Well, a lot of fiction and phantasy.
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2014 at 02:40

Mil means soldier from L. Miletus.  He is as just as much a myth as his Scythian origins.   But that's still cool.

Mil espaine is the name, in the latin version miles Hispaniae, which means "soldier from Spain". But  Hispaniae is not necessarily Spain. We have such example from Germanic sagas, where there is as well an Hispana, but that has nothing to do with Spain, but with a north German pagus called Haspengau. There is as well a name Pannonia, which is mxed with the Balkanic Pannonia, but is a North Sea isle called Baunonia.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>