Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sun and Lion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sun and Lion
    Posted: 24-Nov-2013 at 16:22
Originally posted by yomud

im sry guys but i miss this part !

He have been arguing that

The issue is that could todays figure come from similar old paganic art. The god on a lion is very common and god is shining like a sun

It could be; people have used the sun as the symbol of god like eagle for Zeus in art and if the answer is yes(sun is a god), is it persian mithra or more older ones like Ishtar?

and as you can see in every pic and flag from lion and sun rising the sun is female ! and thats make me think the symbol is Turkic ! even timurlane use this symbol and seljuks in the era of ghznavids the flag was golden sun in field of black / golden lion in field of black 

You are right about Seljuk coin. The lion is the sultan and sun is her Georgian wife(yes, it is female). But which other pics??? like you I prefer male-moon and female-sun model however there is also male Sun god in Turkic myths; Koyash
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Prime View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Prime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2013 at 01:57
Originally posted by Ollios

Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Originally posted by Ollios

BTW"The seal was discovered along the northeastern shore of the
Black Sea (Consult Collon, 1987, no. 432) in the region of the ancient
Pontus.  The seal is in the British museum and not the Hermitage Museum
of St. Petersburg as is often assumed.
"which means TurkeyWink
I really don't understand what it means, it first says the northeastern shore of the Black Sea, namely the Caucasus, but then mentions the ancient Pontus which was located at the southern coast of the Black Sea, anyway both of them belonged to the ancient Achaemenid empire, so that is an Achaemenid seal.

Yes you are right it is not clear, normal Pontus is in Turkish coast of East Blacksea but word north sounds like herehttp://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/maps_and_graphs/2012/7/9/1341825473384/Russia-flood-map-001.pngand it mentioned about museum of St. Petersburg. This is also exciting, I haven't thought that they effected in North Caucausiahttp://www.uncp.edu/home/rwb/persian_empire_map.gifThe issue is that is this seal is Archaemanid own product or is there any old figures like that in near cultures?

Sorry to intrude...

But I just took notice of this map you are presenting, and it shows Armenia...I was found a passage, anecdote from a book that states Death dream of Armenia And it was of a lion that mangled/killed a tiger.
http://books.google.com/books?id=j8hZAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA563&lpg=PA563&dq=lion+fights+combat+tiger++dead+abu&source=bl&ots=Fdgs65WC2_&sig=H7vWueW753wdCAb9rkRSImuqoKs&hl=en&sa=X&ei=MnQGUJaIHKGQ2QWN7PW_BQ&ved=0CCQQ6AewAA

Also it seems in the 16th century there is a artifact/painting of a scene that matches the theme of the Death dream of Armenia, this one originated from rome:

~Native to the Roman empire: Carl Borromäus Andreas Ruthart

So I was going to ask, if Turkish and others in this vicinity had tigers in art, and artifacts co-existing with lions? I know the languages are of numerous dialect and cultures, so its rather hard to find any in english, I know some called the lion and tiger...

-Babar
-Singha
-Tigris
-leones
-Kaplan
-Aslan
-Leon
-Tigre
-Lav
-‡¯È‡
-eeu
-Ñ|ÑåÑr
-(?¥gr¥s
-Û?ʯ

and many other names, I cant as of right now, look through any other search engines, since this computer (2003) is too old and not compatible, I just was wondering if any of you know any historical records of your native cultures of lion and tiger conflicts.

Regards.   
Be honset to thy self!
yomud View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Inactive

Quote yomud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2013 at 06:49
Originally posted by ollios

]He have been arguing that

The issue is that could todays figure come from similar old paganic art. The god on a lion is very common and god is shining like a sun

It could be; people have used the sun as the symbol of god like eagle for Zeus in art and if the answer is yes(sun is a god), is it persian mithra or more older ones like Ishtar?
i don't know much about mitra or ashtar  well i think it would be better to ask this from cyrus  but as far as i learn from school persian have only one god that is ahura mazda ( he is a men ) and have only one evil that is ahriman ( he is also a man) and they fight against ahriman they don't worship evil

Originally posted by ollios

]You are right about Seljuk coin. The lion is the sultan and sun is her Georgian wife(yes, it is female). But which other pics???
   well of you just write the turkic dynasty and flag in google you will see those pic . in the books remain from that time says how their flags look like
yomud are free people
mr_z View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote mr_z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2013 at 00:07

i don't know much about mitra or ashtar  well i think it would be better to ask this from cyrus  but as far as i learn from school persian have only one god that is ahura mazda ( he is a men ) and have only one evil that is ahriman ( he is also a man) and they fight against ahriman they don't worship evil

Ahura Mazda is the Wise (light) Lord. He was the 'uncreated' god. He was not considered as man or mortal. In Zoroastrianism, he's generally not depicted or given physical form. Ahriman is the shortened, middle Persian version of the Avestan Angra Mainyu, meaning the angry, destructive mind. (mainyu=manishn in Pahvlavi and Manesh modern Persian) Angra Mainyu is contrasted with Spenta Mainyu, the beneficent and bounteous mind. So these two forces clearly refer to a state of mind and mentality than to beings of any kind. Humans having been endowed with free will, have to make an active choice between the two states of mind. 

It's a real powerful message, when you think about it. Modern psychotherapy (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) is based on that very same principle.

Edited by mr_z - 03-Dec-2013 at 00:08
yomud View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Inactive

Quote yomud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2013 at 04:38
Originally posted by mr_z

Ahura Mazda is the Wise (light) Lord. He was the 'uncreated' god. He was not considered as man or mortal. In Zoroastrianism, he's generally not depicted or given physical form. Ahriman is the shortened, middle Persian version of the Avestan Angra Mainyu, meaning the angry, destructive mind. (mainyu=manishn in Pahvlavi and Manesh modern Persian) Angra Mainyu is contrasted with Spenta Mainyu, the beneficent and bounteous mind. So these two forces clearly refer to a state of mind and mentality than to beings of any kind. Humans having been endowed with free will, have to make an active choice between the two states of mind. 

It's a real powerful message, when you think about it. Modern psychotherapy (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) is based on that very same principle.
very interesting and helpful Smile ty for righting my mistake  i must learn more b4 i speak about it
yomud are free people
AlexandreY View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote AlexandreY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2018 at 16:39
mr_z is correct.
The sun rising in lion's back is more a semitic code than having real cultural background neither from Turks nor from Iranians/Persians.
Anahita, Mithra, Lions etc... have been kinda "pushed" inside Achemenides system.
Iranian sanskrit zoroastrian traditions were against the predator, that's why "Darius killing the lion" is a classic.

So farvahar or simorgh or darfash e kavyani are basically iranian "flags". Eagle or simorgh etc...
And sign "X" in opposite to +

Lions, dragons... have semitic origin Sumerian, Egyptians, Colchians (current jewish Georgia, former Iberia), Ethiopians.

The lion biting back of a bull at Persepolis, are something very different, symbol of "Stability".
That's why that was put in the very first Alexander the Great babylonian coins.
Arthur-Robin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Arthur-Robin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2018 at 09:02

The lion is indeed often connected with solar/sun, perhaps because of its colour and its mane, and as "king/royal". It might possibly be connected with Shamash/Shem/Samson?
I have also seen lion connected with the moon in a middle eastern mythology but can't remember the details right now.

Lion was Babylon/Nebuchadnezzar in Daniel.

Lion is used for also a great leader like Richard Cour de Lion similar to Winston Churchill.

It is correct that the Lion is also the animal of the goddess Ishtar/Inana, and we similarily find Freyja riding a cat in Norse myth, and the harlot riding beast in Revalation. The lion is sometimes connected with the dragon/beast Tiamat slain by the hero god. Sometimes the labbu creature in Babylonian is called a "lion".

Nergal is lion in Babylonian.
The Sphinx is pretty early Egyptian lion though is disputed. It might be connected with the lion of Judah in Genesis 49 (many links of Jacob and Joseph with the 4th dynasty).

The lion is also connected with zodiacal constellation Leo.
When i compared the star maps with world map i found that some constellations match certain nations, and Leo was around about the Semite Middle East area, while Virgo is around about Israel area.

I was interested about the identity of the Lion and Bear and Leopard in Daniel/Revelation in the bible. The Lion is connected with the lion of Judah or Jesus ("Aslan") or Shem, and the Leopard is connected with Nimrod, but who the bear (northern/polar) is historically is not so clear.

It was interesting to study all the verses on lions and bears and leopards in the bible. In some the lion is good, in others is bad.

NZ's mandatory fluoridation is not fair because it only forces it on the disadvantaged/some and not on the advantaged/everyone.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12