Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Snow!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Online Status: Offline
  Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snow!!
    Posted: 03-Feb-2014 at 12:02
Sigh, once again I'm sitting watching it pile up on the patio.  Forcast is for 3-6 inches of heavy wet stuff.  And of course it rained it's ass off first, nicely washing away all of the salt everyone pretreated with.

I was aware enough to go pick up another truck bed of firewood, before this stuff hit.  If it's heavy enough and freezes on the power lines, could be a mess.
But I have our trusty 5,000 watt kicker and a full load of firewood, so it can do whatever it wants.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2014 at 13:57
it did whatever it wanted to.  4-6" turned out to be 9'' of heavy wet snow.  The kind of snow that turns into snow boulders when the plow goes through.  You don't shovel them, you roll them out of the way.Big smile

According to the weather channel, we are expecting more by about 5pm.  The local news says it may be a "mixed event". Swell.
Another major storm is forcast for Sat. into Sun.  I can't wait.Tongue

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
toyomotor View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

BANNED TROLL

Quote toyomotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2014 at 18:33
Red Clay: You could always migrate to Tasmania, we need SpecEd Teachers.

Our climate does not include snow in low lying areas. We have no Tropical Cyclones and have a moderate rain fall. We are not Earthquake prone and have no active volcanoes.

Our lowest temp in residential areas is about -1 C in Winter(overnight) and in Summer can go as high as the mid thirties.

And if at first you don't like the weather, just wait 20minutes (joke).

The state population is about .5million people, the crime rate is about the same as a US village. We have some of the finest natural scenery in the world.

And the people are the friendliest in the world.

Edited by toyomotor - 04-Feb-2014 at 18:34
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2014 at 11:11
Ian, it's tempting, you have no idea how tempting.

This latest storm is turning out to be an all ice event.  Up to a million are without power.  In my town, trees are down all over.  2 main roads are closed due to huge trees having come down over them.
But now they are issuing flood warnings.  The ground is frozen, there was 10-12 inches of snow covering it, and now we're getting freezing rain.  There's no place for the water to go. 
Unknown.
toyomotor View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

BANNED TROLL

Quote toyomotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2014 at 20:12
Originally posted by red clay

Ian, it's tempting, you have no idea how tempting.

This latest storm is turning out to be an all ice event.  Up to a million are without power.  In my town, trees are down all over.  2 main roads are closed due to huge trees having come down over them.
But now they are issuing flood warnings.  The ground is frozen, there was 10-12 inches of snow covering it, and now we're getting freezing rain.  There's no place for the water to go. 
We see almost daily new reports on TV about the atrocious weather conditions in the US, and I often think to myself, "Why would you live there?" a rhetorical question of course.

But if it's not snow, it's cyclones ravaging the countryside, or bush fires, or floods, and it seems that no part of continental USA is spared.

I do really feel sorry for all of those people who are still suffering from Katrina and the other natural disasters which have befallen the US in recent years. And I'm a bit pissed off that people are still basically homeless while trillions of dollars are being spent on Space Exploration and warfare.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234