Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Xerxes "artavan" and "aria"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mojobadshah View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mojobadshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Xerxes "artavan" and "aria"
    Posted: 29-Oct-2013 at 13:23
Where does Xerxes use the words "artavan" and "aria?"  Artavan is a cognate of Ashavan, but what does "aria" mean?  The Avesta shows one of Xerxes statements in reverse: Living, he is not asavan-, dead, he does not enjoy the Best Existence [i.e. Paradise] – Vendidad 6x

Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2013 at 05:44
Ariya (Aryan) was used by Darius the Great, this word has been used both as a nationality and a language in Naqshi-Rustam and Behistun inscriptions, but Artava (Arta/Asha) was used by Xerxes as a main god alongside Ahuramazda in his Persepolis inscription. It can be interesting to know why Xerxes used this word, it was probably just because destruction of temple of Daevas that he mentions in his inscription, we read in the Gathas that Daevas are incapable to distinguish between Asha (truth) and Druj (falsehood).
Consul
Consul

Quote mojobadshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2013 at 07:53
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Ariya (Aryan) was used by Darius the Great, this word has been used both as a nationality and a language in Naqshi-Rustam and Behistun inscriptions, but Artava (Arta/Asha) was used by Xerxes as a main god alongside Ahuramazda in his Persepolis inscription. It can be interesting to know why Xerxes used this word, it was probably just because destruction of temple of Daevas that he mentions in his inscription, we read in the Gathas that Daevas are incapable to distinguish between Asha (truth) and Druj (falsehood).

I don't think that is Ariya is the same as Aria.  This is what Mary Boyce had to say: "that the word artavan (the equivalent of Av. aSavan) should not occur in Darius' inscriptions, any more than the substantive aria (although both are recorded in those of his son Xerxes)."

Do you still think its the same as Ariya?  I'm not sure, but what which statement does Xerxes make in reverse of the Vendidad 6x ( Living, he is not asavan-, dead, he does not enjoy the Best Existence [i.e. Paradise]) (see History of Zoroastrianism vol. 2 pg 121 & 176)

I think the word "aria" is supposed to be in the above Avestan passage.

Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2013 at 10:55
As I found, Xerxes has also called himself an Ariya (Aryan) in one of his inscriptions in Persepolis, anyway "Aria" couldn't be an old Persian word because two vowels, "i" and "a", couldn't be beside each other in an old Persian word.

Xerxes says: "Thou who (shall be) hereafter, if you shall think, "Happy may I be when living, and when dead may I be blessed," have respect for that law which Ahuramazda has established; worship Ahuramazda and Arta reverently." (XPh)

Consul
Consul

Quote mojobadshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2013 at 20:53
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

As I found, Xerxes has also called himself an Ariya (Aryan) in one of his inscriptions in Persepolis, anyway "Aria" couldn't be an old Persian word because two vowels, "i" and "a", couldn't be beside each other in an old Persian word.

Xerxes says: "Thou who (shall be) hereafter, if you shall think, "Happy may I be when living, and when dead may I be blessed," have respect for that law which Ahuramazda has established; worship Ahuramazda and Arta reverently." (XPh)

What is reversed here?  The living and dead part?  Or is this an example of Xerxes using Artavan?  What is an example of Xerxes using Ariya and Artavan?
 Post Reply Post Reply