Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPoll:Near East/Middle East...etc..

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Near East/Middle East or Alternative?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [100.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Poll:Near East/Middle East...etc..
    Posted: 16-Oct-2013 at 23:49
OK, it has been requested an alternative term should be considered in the subforum, 

Ancient Mesopotamia, Near East and Greater Iran

The admin, red clay has graciously agreed that the question should be put out there to the membership for consideration, and this is the reason for this here poll and thread. There has been set within the poll the possibility for an alternative name not named, and should that turn out to be the most popular, a second poll may go ahead with suggestion made below. (appropriate suggestions onlyWink ) Thank you

Oh, btw, this poll will run up until, and including, 24th October 2013.
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2013 at 11:37
The current terminology seems adequate.  I'm not confused by it?  Is someone else confused?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2013 at 22:27
A reasonable question had been asked by another member, for which our admin thought a poll would be worthy.
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2013 at 10:25
I got that from the initial post, but you haven't answered my question:  Is there some confusion that needs to be cleared up, or is this a more personal issue for a particular member?

Mesopotamia, for example, hasn't existed for thousands of years, and the current nomenclature prevents confusion with current nations and events.

"Greater Iran" is a meaningless term.  If someone is tlaking about the ancient Persian Empire, then that is the way to address it.  We do not, for example, talk about "Greater Afghanistan", or "Greater America" or even "Greater Germany"; we simply speak of the specific historical period, such as America's Colonial period or the German Third Reich, history-specific periods of time.

It's a legitimate question and deserves a legitimate answer if someone is planning to re-label the world for their convenience.  After all, to Americans, Europe itself is "The Near East" geographically.

Edited by Mountain Man - 19-Oct-2013 at 10:31
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2013 at 11:35
I am confused about it just this topic has a name which isn't using today.

and I think Near East term is dying and doesn't have any chance against Middle East

With same perspective should we change the name Central Asia as Turan or Turkestan? These names are old historical names for current name Central Asia. 

None of name can solve this problem. Each name brings own problems Confused

Near East generally doesn't include Arabia.File:NearEast.png

Anatolia-Levant-Mesopotamia is the narrow defination-dark green, but light green, greater Near East is looking like exact Middle East for my definition of Middle East.

Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2013 at 11:55
I think Ancient Middle East doesn't sound good, for the same reason Ancient Iraq can't be used instead of Mesopotamia.
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2013 at 13:17
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

I think Ancient Middle East doesn't sound good, for the same reason Ancient Iraq can't be used instead of Mesopotamia.

I agree because we have never met it before. During the first age of modern archeology, the region was called as Near East but it was for Ottoman lands even Balkans but when time came and Ottoman lost North Africa and Balkans, defination changed and started to use for Anatolia, Levant and Mesopotamia as in my map. However generally Egypt is under this section not Africa.

In Turkey, I have checked some archeology portal of universities and they are using term "Ön Asya" which means "Front of Asia" but exact translation is "Western Asia". They are using word Asia but teaching Egypt history. How mass Big smile

Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2013 at 13:51
Academically speaking Near East is still a term well used in a historical & archaeological context, and this is a history forum dealing with such things. However if things had moved on in such a way that the membership preferred something other than what is being used at present, then our admin, and by extension the moderating staff, are open to fresh ideas, as long as they are within reason.

Mountain Man - Indeed, someone questioned the use of the term "Near East". They also suggested that the format of other forums/sub-forum might be better if changed. 
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2013 at 16:28
Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

Academically speaking Near East is still a term well used in a historical & archaeological context, and this is a history forum dealing with such things.

Yes, but just in academically and between people who know something about history. This term belongs to British people, not always global as I said, there is no Near East Archeology education in Turkey, we have Western Asia archeology education at universities which also include Egypt and Greece(Early Period)

Today of course, term Near East is common in English Archeological sources. However I asked my brother who is 15, "Do you wish to join my experiment?" LOL then I asked him that do you know where is Near East? He couldn't answer, but he knows where is the Middle East 

I don't choose a name both of them won't be perfect

Edited by Ollios - 19-Oct-2013 at 16:30
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2013 at 22:15
Is this not a forum for those with an interest in history, Ollios? If that is the case, then Near East, by your own admission, is a term needing little clarification.
I take it that your brother doesn't have your knowledge you have on things historical. 
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2013 at 23:25
OK, time's up folks. The name Ancient Mesopotamia, Near East and Greater Iran, stands as it is.

This poll, and thread, is closed.
 Post Reply Post Reply