Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Boundless Gratitude of One Fellow Man ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Marlin47 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Marlin47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Boundless Gratitude of One Fellow Man ?
    Posted: 02-Jul-2013 at 04:37
One aspect of an old black and white WW2 movie has continued to puzzle me over many years.

It concerns the activities of a group of American G.I.s on home leave. The nationality of these soldiers is immaterial - they could just as easily have been British Tommies, French Poilus or even German Fritzes, although somehow I don't think this situation would apply to Japanese grunts.

The inhabitants of a small US town invite soldiers from a nearby barracks into their houses for a Thanksgiving Dinner. One group ( I think that Bill Bendix and John Garfield were featured in that bunch of about ten ), were hosted by a local businessman to a slap up feed, no expense spared and plenty of 
booze !   When it came to the port and cigar stage, the businessman offered his guests a choice of cigars, but when they had all lit up, he brought out a box of cigars and took just one, for himself. He apologised, stating that they were his personal cigar stock and he wished to preserve them. Everybody smiled indulgently and carried on with the festivities.

Later that night once back in their barracks block they griped and grizzled about the chap not offering his select choice of personal cigars around, seemingly oblivious to the time, trouble and expense that their host had gone to in offering them a fine meal and a great time.

I find their lack of gratitude inexcusable, but am I overlooking something important here ?
 Post Reply Post Reply