Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best RTS Ever

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Ok, whos your daddy in clickfests?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
13 [19.40%]
1 [1.49%]
11 [16.42%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.49%]
7 [10.45%]
2 [2.99%]
32 [47.76%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Gallipoli View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Gallipoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best RTS Ever
    Posted: 27-Aug-2004 at 06:11

Well I know. Tough question. Why dont we make this poll the most popular poll at AE?Then we can actually send the results to Heaven Games or such?

My favorite is......

DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM

Rise of Nations.

Very nice graphics engine,CIV/AOK engines combined in gameplay. Good units and ofcourse, WW1.

My second is Imperialism which is my favorite all times game.

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2004 at 07:14

Europa Universalis. Too bad you didn't put it on your list.

Anyway, I voted AoE, because that was so very much better than the other games when it came out. Nowadays those games which are called RTS are all basicly the same.

Mast View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Mast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2004 at 07:41
The Age of Empires demo () made me interested in history and strategy games, and later I bought Age of Kings which still hasn't bored me. The Total War series and EU series are excellent games too, not really the typical RTS games, both belong to genres of their own.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2004 at 07:55

Originally posted by Mast

The Age of Empires demo () made me interested in history and strategy games, and later I bought Age of Kings which still hasn't bored me. The Total War series and EU series are excellent games too, not really the typical RTS games, both belong to genres of their own.

Same here. Though EU is actually real time strategy per definition (and it actually contains strategy, as opposed to most "RTS" games), it's just that the label seem to have stuck on Age of Empires-like games.

Gallipoli View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Gallipoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2004 at 08:23

Europa Universalis...I didnt know it was a RTS..

fastspawn View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote fastspawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2004 at 12:46
Sad to see no one else voted for the Total War series.

Having played all the games listed above, i have found that Total War gives the highest replay valueave EU, but i found that EU gets very cumbersome and battles don't give the same excitement.

For Total War, every battle keeps you alert and you learn new things.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2004 at 20:31

can only agree with fastspawn here...especially afetr Rome will come out. open a poll like that again after most members (interested in games) have played Rome for a while and let's see the difference.

cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2004 at 20:37

voted for TW series although it is not a RTS but Turn Based.

There are so many that could be included, but it may not matter. When 1C releases Battlefield Command (Wartime Command in the states i guess) it may break ground. 1C and russian Oleg Maddox are also the makers of the best combat flight sim `IL2 Sturmovik.

http://www.codemasters.co.uk/wartimecommand/about-game/

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2004 at 21:06
yeah, heard about it, though its WW2 and I don't like games about the world wars...how many units does it support?
DSMyers1 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DSMyers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2004 at 07:39
I vote for Europa Universalis II.  I have played it for 2 years, with only a short intermission with RoN.
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2004 at 14:09

yeah, heard about it, though its WW2 and I don't like games about the world war...how many units does it support?

Have to guess as many as your cpu will handle.

agree, studied ww2 for so many years i must say that i am burnt. also agree we will see many new RTW fans when it is released and the RTW thread will be this sections largest.

Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2004 at 22:23
Yeah, Medieval Total war shouldn't count as an RTS.

Ironically, that's the game that's winning. lol

Greatest RTS series, I would say is Close Combat because it's the most unique. In terms of multiplayer popularity and how sucessful it was, then Warcraft III.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2004 at 23:26
yes but the meat of Medieval is the combat, and that is real time.  Anyway the game poll is under strategy and we all know build and rush games should not be considered strategy.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2004 at 03:39

Originally posted by Tobodai

yes but the meat of Medieval is the combat, and that is real time.  Anyway the game poll is under strategy and we all know build and rush games should not be considered strategy.

True. The turn-based "strategy" part is just a sorry excuse to release the ecellent battle engine with. Anyway, that'd make it a real time tactical game, so in whatever way you look at it, it's not an rts

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2004 at 11:45

wrong, you re-use your units on the campaign map, so it's strategical as well. Multiplayer is tacical and Non-campaign battles are tactical, but campaign battes ARE strategical.

and actually Shogun was an adaption of the popular Shogun table-top game, they just included the battles to not make another Civ2-clone...

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2004 at 12:26
Originally posted by Temujin

wrong, you re-use your units on the campaign map, so it's strategical as well. Multiplayer is tacical and Non-campaign battles are tactical, but campaign battes ARE strategical.

and actually Shogun was an adaption of the popular Shogun table-top game, they just included the battles to not make another Civ2-clone...

As said, the lousy strategy part is just a mould. The core of the game is the battles. A battle itself is not strategy. Strategy is when and where to fight. Anyway, the campaign is turnbased strategy, the battles real time tactics.  Doesn't matter though, it's only game labels where discussion...

Gallipoli View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Gallipoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2004 at 08:48
Come on Ihsan where are you, you loved Cossacks...
Gallipoli View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Gallipoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 11:56
Hey lets get the poll going okay?I really want to send the results to the companies...your opinions are valuable you know...
Arkhanson View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Arkhanson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 04:15

MTW

Gallipoli View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Gallipoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 09:55
Ney?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>