Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Does the Avesta mention Babylon?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mojobadshah View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mojobadshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does the Avesta mention Babylon?
    Posted: 04-Jun-2013 at 17:31
Herzfeld says in Yt. 5.28-35 Azi Dahaka is called bawroish "Babylonian."  I've seen this correlation before.  Is it current or is it obsolete?  Because this would mean there was contact between the Avestan people and the Babylonians which as far as I know didn't happen. 

Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2013 at 03:56
I had talked about this word in a thread about the relation between Germanic and Iranian languages, as you said in Aban Yasht (Hymn to the Waters), the word Bawri/Bawra has been mentioned, like the English word beaver, this word originally means "Brown", in Aban Yasht 8: 29, we read about the land of Brown people and in Aban Yasht  30:129, we read about beaver.

It is interesting that in the Persian translation of Aban Yasht, "Bawra" has been translated as "Babr" (the Persian word for tiger), the reason can be that beavers never lived in the regions we know Iranian-speaking people live but mostly in the Germanic lands!

It is enough to look at Aban Yasht to know "Bawra" can never mean "tiger" but "beaver":

Yt.  5.129: She is clothed with garments of Bawra, Ardvi Sura Anahita; with the skin of thirty Bawras of those that bear four young ones, that are the finest kind of Bawras; for the skin of the Bawra that lives in water is the finest-colored of all skins, and when worked at the right time it shines to the eye with full sheen of silver and gold.
 Post Reply Post Reply