Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wise words from Homer Simpson.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Marlin47 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Marlin47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wise words from Homer Simpson.
    Posted: 03-Jun-2013 at 02:28
Possibly the only sensible comment made by Homer Simpson was when, noticing a bias creeping into one of Springfield's local newspapers, he angrily remarked " I want information, not opinion ! "
This comment lodged in my mind for two reasons, one being that it was the only sensible remark he has ever made, and t'other was because it struck a chord with me.

I have long noticed a distinct bias in my daily newspaper. Although the owners of this paper are not of this particular religion, it is all too obvious from the names of their journalists, that many of the hacks are.  Moreover, the content of their articles display an ever increasing bias in support of this particular religion.  Why should this be, I ponder ? And what the Hell ( pardon the pun ) can I do anything about it ?
Should I do anything about it ?  If it annoyed Homer, then I feel that I am entitled to be equally affronted.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2013 at 02:44
"English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England!" Smile
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2013 at 03:05
Ha ha ha ha ha! Have you become aware of evil spirits whispering messages in your ear constantly now, or should I say, could you imagine that evil spirits are constantly whispering in your ears? Just one of those things more likely to happen to you than you waking up and finding absolutely no bias in journalism. LOL
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2013 at 03:19
Originally posted by medenaywe

"English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England!" Smile
Oh well then, medenaywe, maybe it would be better if you disgard every single English word out of your mind, and keep away from using the English language at all now. Oh wait a minute, my friend, that would mean you not writing on this forum, and we couldn't have that. 

Edited by TheAlaniDragonRising - 03-Jun-2013 at 03:22
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2013 at 04:14
It is said by Homer,not me Alani!Wise words of...is topic you write.I am not so wise by the way.LOL
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2013 at 04:32

Originally posted by medenaywe

It is said by Homer,not me Alani!Wise words of...is topic you write.I am not so wise by the way.LOL
Eek, my mistake, my friend. love the show and all, but when it comes to the dialogue I forget everything I have learned totally now I think.Smile
Of nothing at all now I've plenty of on this subject.LOL
Marlin47 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Marlin47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2013 at 05:23
Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

Ha ha ha ha ha! Have you become aware of evil spirits whispering messages in your ear constantly now, or should I say, could you imagine that evil spirits are constantly whispering in your ears? Just one of those things more likely to happen to you than you waking up and finding absolutely no bias in journalism. LOL

Touché, and how right you are, amigo !  But I am talking here about flagrantly overt bias of the very worst kind. Moreover, it springs from a newspaper that, whilst a tad conservative and Right wing ( like me, perchance ), has normally prided itself, and been recognised as, largely being free of bias......which is a large part of why I read the bloody thing !
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2013 at 05:48
Originally posted by Marlin47

But I am talking here about flagrantly overt bias of the very worst kind. Moreover, it springs from a newspaper that, whilst a tad conservative and Right wing ( like me, perchance ), has normally prided itself, and been recognised as, largely being free of bias......which is a large part of why I read the bloody thing !
Oddly enough, Marlin47, I had been noting a slight manipulation in content, in the media, including what seemed to me as a re-branding of a number of very prominent public figures, to enhance their public's perception of them. Then I thought better not dwell on these things too much, considering I thought I was the only one thinking these things. Don't you become uncontrollably paranoid now, I thought, so I left it.
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2013 at 06:08

Marlin47 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Marlin47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2013 at 06:38
I'm not sure if he models himself on me, or vicky verca !
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2013 at 10:38
I don't know what the big fuss is about, folks here have been trying to pass off opinion as factual info since forever.
Media bias has existed since there has been media.  My own local newspaper is heavily biased toward Rep. Con. views, whilst the Philly Inquirer is more bent to the Liberal views.
Back in the day, that local paper, was so biased against the town it took it's name from it had to change it's name.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Marlin47 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Marlin47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2013 at 10:55
Originally posted by red clay

I don't know what the big fuss is about, folks here have been trying to pass off opinion as factual info since forever.
Media bias has existed since there has been media.  My own local newspaper is heavily biased toward Rep. Con. views, whilst the Philly Inquirer is more bent to the Liberal views.
Back in the day, that local paper, was so biased against the town it took it's name from it had to change it's name.

I don't mind a paper having political views ( one can hardly expect otherwise ! ), but I am talking more about religious views.....and views that are strongly biased towards one particular religion which I will happily identify were it not for upsetting the moderator. As an " Old School " Englishman who is the epitome of a WASP, I baulk against constant religious propaganda espoused and promulgated by the majority of journalists of this particular newspaper, all of whom are adherents of this religion.

In mitigation of what might be seen to be seen to be non tolerant views on my part, I would say that twenty years ago I converted to Islam in order to marry a ravishingly gorgeous Indian girl. Her, family, however, didn't approve of her marrying a non Indian and kidnapped her back to Delhi. Luckily, the procedure of my conversion hadn't gotten to that part that required the use of a scalpel, so I remain intacto and complete in all details.
Marlin47 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Marlin47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2013 at 12:20
Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

Originally posted by Marlin47

But I am talking here about flagrantly overt bias of the very worst kind. Moreover, it springs from a newspaper that, whilst a tad conservative and Right wing ( like me, perchance ), has normally prided itself, and been recognised as, largely being free of bias......which is a large part of why I read the bloody thing !
Oddly enough, Marlin47, I had been noting a slight manipulation in content, in the media, including what seemed to me as a re-branding of a number of very prominent public figures, to enhance their public's perception of them. Then I thought better not dwell on these things too much, considering I thought I was the only one thinking these things. Don't you become uncontrollably paranoid now, I thought, so I left it.

Don't you think that this re-branding goes on all of the time, my friend. If we're talking about politicians, then I expect it started about the time of Harold Wilson, who was well known for dropping the ferret, losing his cloth cap, hiding his roll your own fags ( when he moved amongst the proles ), to his Gannex raincoat, Homburg and cigars image when he circulated amongst the hoi-polloi. It might even have started as early as Harold Macmillan and Sir Alec Douglas - Home, both of whom advocated a flushing out of the old embalming fluid, and replacing it with new when they saw troubled times ahead.
 Post Reply Post Reply