Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BEST TANK IN THE WORLD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>
Author
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BEST TANK IN THE WORLD
    Posted: 19-Feb-2007 at 07:42
Isn't Leo C2 a Leopard 1 variant?

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2007 at 18:18
Originally posted by xristar

Isn't Leo C2 a Leopard 1 variant?

The ones with MEXAS have Leo 1 frames.  CAF claims MEXAS weight would make a 2A6 too heavy but I don't know.
You're probably right about the 2A6 being as good or better.

Crusader3943 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Crusader3943 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 20:18
M1A2

Edited by Crusader3943 - 17-Mar-2007 at 20:19
Crusader3943
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2007 at 10:53

I prefer the Black Eagle. It has superior sloped armour in contrary to the Abrams, Challenger and Leopard II. At High distance, Abrams Shells are bounced of the amour plates..

In the Second World War, the Panther was the best tank, together with T34/85. The Tiger 8.8 is very famous around the world, but the Panther 75 mm outclassed the Tigers 8.8 gun. From long range, the 8.8 could not break through T-34 Armour with ease. The 75 mm L/71 was more effective than the 88 mm L/56 of the Tiger I. Any further why the Tiger I was a total craptank, was because its armour. It wasn't sloped and less thick than the Panther's sloped armour. The only reason why this tank has a good image is because of the crew(the most skilled, and most tactical of germany) and 1942 to late 1943(in wich a lot of Russian tanks were destroyed by the low number of Tigers availeble..only in that period, the Tiger was an outstanding tank.

The Panther also was faster, more resisent against its task.
The JagdPanther was better than the JagdTiger.
The 128 mm was outclassed by the 88, because of the AP shell of the 128 was not good, and the Muzzle velocity was lower.

The Tiger II's bad operating image is only because American tests with a few damaged Tiger II's. It performed well in offensive actions. It was quite manouverable. But the Panther reached speed of 45 km/h

Tiger, Tiger, no, Gimme a Panter
Reaper View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Reaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2007 at 14:46
Originally posted by Armillo

I prefer the Black Eagle. It has superior sloped armour in contrary to the Abrams, Challenger and Leopard II. At High distance, Abrams Shells are bounced of the amour plates..

In the Second World War, the Panther was the best tank, together with T34/85. The Tiger 8.8 is very famous around the world, but the Panther 75 mm outclassed the Tigers 8.8 gun. From long range, the 8.8 could not break through T-34 Armour with ease. The 75 mm L/71 was more effective than the 88 mm L/56 of the Tiger I. Any further why the Tiger I was a total craptank, was because its armour. It wasn't sloped and less thick than the Panther's sloped armour. The only reason why this tank has a good image is because of the crew(the most skilled, and most tactical of germany) and 1942 to late 1943(in wich a lot of Russian tanks were destroyed by the low number of Tigers availeble..only in that period, the Tiger was an outstanding tank.

The Panther also was faster, more resisent against its task.
The JagdPanther was better than the JagdTiger.
The 128 mm was outclassed by the 88, because of the AP shell of the 128 was not good, and the Muzzle velocity was lower.

The Tiger II's bad operating image is only because American tests with a few damaged Tiger II's. It performed well in offensive actions. It was quite manouverable. But the Panther reached speed of 45 km/h

Tiger, Tiger, no, Gimme a Panter

1. The Black Eagle hasn't even reached production stage because Omsk Transmash, the company making it, has been banckrupt since 2002.  It has had no real trials, its only been shown off, the turret was fake both times it was shown off, it's got a T-80 hull (at least in 1997).  There's not really anything to the Black Eagle other than the turret, which hasn't been made yet, so it looks good on paper, maybe not on the battlefield.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Eagle_tank
http://armor.kiev.ua/fofanov/Tanks/MBT/b_eagle.html

2. The Panther is not one of the best tanks from WWII.  I believe you failed to take into account it's poor reliability.  The Panther also had terrible mobility, as it couldn't go very far on road marches without needing repair or breaking down.  In fact, I believe the only thing that tank had going for it was maybe good armour and it's 75mm gun.
Read these pages:
http://www.3ad.com/history/wwll/pool.pages/armor.myths.htm
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=118212&sid=e0cdd54152255c416417aa8847a6d9a8
Rhavas View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Rhavas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2007 at 18:33
The M1A2 export version is not the same M1A2 that the U.S. Army uses. It doesn't have the Chobham armor, optics, fbcb2, or the many other upgrades the US has done on the M1A2, like the new urban upgrade adding reactive armor, as coaxial .50 cal, and CROWS system to the Commanders .50 cal.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2007 at 15:30
I wonder... if some tanks have unranium plate armor... wouldn't the people in the tank die faster due to the radioactivity of uranium?

Join us.
aghart View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote aghart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2007 at 11:35
Originally posted by pekau

I wonder... if some tanks have unranium plate armor... wouldn't the people in the tank die faster due to the radioactivity of uranium?

It is "depleted" uranium, the stones and rocks in your fields at home have more radiation coming from them than the stuff that is made into armour or DU armour piercing rounds.
Former Tank Commander (Chieftain)& remember, Change is inevitable!!! except from vending machines
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2007 at 17:33
something I've seen on TV (Discovery or NG, I'm not certainEmbarrassed)
1. Leopard II - I might go with it
2. Centurion - well, the British made that stuff
3. T-34 - I would rather put it on top
4. Merkava -  One of the best. Tested on the battlefield too, so in my humble opinion it's no. 2 at lest
4. Challenger - I  really don't have enough stuff about that thing. Looks good but I can't go on saying something just because of what the crews say
5. Abrams - My personal opinion of it is that it is either overrated or under. Anyway, when are the guys from Browning or Colt going to produce a main gun of their own?
8. T-80 - That was a Western production and I'm glad that the T-34 wasn't forgotten

My opinion:
1. T-34 (remember, it's about the best ever, not the best now)
2. Leo & Merkava (the former seems better, the latter behaved as what it was supposed)
3 Abrams & T-80 (the US might have the tech but the T-80 has some other stuff <experience in building really reliable stuff?>)
? Challenger - many sources about this beast that are inconsistent. I just wasn't able to make a clear image of what it is.
? Centurion - I would rather go for the Comet
miki015 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote miki015 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2007 at 15:43
The best tank in the world is t-90 Vihor

Sa verom u Boga
za Kralja i Otadzbinu
Miki
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2007 at 19:39
^
Any tank with a three man crew and no seperate armoured ammunition storage area can not be the best tank in the world.  

The T-90 might be one of the best tanks in the world in performance / cost ratio.   This makes it very attactive for developing countries that do not face a true heavy armour threat. 
Count Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2009 at 23:42
I think the Merkava is the best or the Sho't
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2009 at 19:17
Armour wise the Challenger 2 and the Merkava 4 are probably the best followed by the Leopard and Abrams but no tank is immune. Where western tanks have faced threats on the battlefield, it's mostly against tanks from a generation behind them (T-72) and from infantry anti tank weapons that are decades old (RPG 7). When faced with newer weapons, they are easily knocked out (Merkava vs Kornet, Challenger vs RPG 29).

After the end of the Cold War, NATO tested their best anti tank projectile on a T-72 with Konkat 5 ERA and it shattered the round so they had to upgrade the shell to defeat Konkat. No good if World War 3 had broken out during the 80's. Of course the Russians have since upgraded Konkat.

Overall, taking every factor into account the Abrahms and Leopard probably take the crown. Some reckon the Merkava and I don't understand why. It's just a great big fortified mobile pillbox designed for the narrow streets of Gaza and the West Bank not for blitzing through Iraq or Germany.
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2009 at 19:48
Originally posted by Badassbab

Armour wise the Challenger 2 and the Merkava 4 are probably the best followed by the Leopard and Abrams but no tank is immune. Where western tanks have faced threats on the battlefield, it's mostly against tanks from a generation behind them (T-72) and from infantry anti tank weapons that are decades old (RPG 7). When faced with newer weapons, they are easily knocked out (Merkava vs Kornet, Challenger vs RPG 29).

After the end of the Cold War, NATO tested their best anti tank projectile on a T-72 with Konkat 5 ERA and it shattered the round so they had to upgrade the shell to defeat Konkat. No good if World War 3 had broken out during the 80's. Of course the Russians have since upgraded Konkat.

Overall, taking every factor into account the Abrahms and Leopard probably take the crown. Some reckon the Merkava and I don't understand why. It's just a great big fortified mobile pillbox designed for the narrow streets of Gaza and the West Bank not for blitzing through Iraq or Germany.

I agree.
The Challenger 2 and the T-80 were the only contestants during Greece's contest of tanks (which also included the Leopard 2, Abrams, Leclerc and T-84) who accepted to test their armour with live fire. Combine that to the fact that after the purchase of Leopard 2 (which won the contest) during tests, its turret was penetrated (though, to their defence, the germans agreed to reinforce the turret's armour at no cost).

Russian tanks are propably quite well protected when using active armour, propably better so than any western tank.

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2009 at 17:42
xrista-

IMO the best protected tank in the world would be as follows-

Challenger 2 with Dorchester Chobham Armour + DU Layer (Like the Abrahms)
Add on Shtora + Arena + Kaktus ERA and you have the best protected tank in the world.

Video of Arena in action- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-0WR_PokFk

Other countries have been testing their own APS-

Trophy (Israel)
Quick Kill (US)
Iron Fist (Israel)
AMAP (Germany)
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2009 at 18:40
The best protected is the Merkava 

Defenders of Ulthuan, Cult of Asuryan (57 Kills and counting)

Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2009 at 18:48
30+ of which was distroyed in the July 2006 war by crude IED's.

Al-Jassas
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2009 at 18:55
So were Abrams and I like the Abrams yet they are vulnerable and it's not just tanks

BTW were the crews killed? 

Defenders of Ulthuan, Cult of Asuryan (57 Kills and counting)

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2009 at 03:09
there are different models of Merkava, I think 6 in total now and if the crew survived then it counts for the Mervava. But the Uk tanks have the best underlying Armour
Sun Tzu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Sun Tzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2009 at 14:51
I heard that the Leopard 2 can outrange the M1A2. I remember seeing pictures of the gulf war where M1A1 Abrams tanks were outranging the old T-72's the Iraqi's had it was pitiful lol. It's literally like taking a midget holding him away from you (pushing) and kicking the crap outt him lol.
Sun Tzu

All warfare is based on deception - Sun Tzu
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>