Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shocking Facts about Thomas Jefferson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
doublejm1 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote doublejm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shocking Facts about Thomas Jefferson
    Posted: 03-Mar-2013 at 18:44

I'm a huge history buff and often write history articles for leisure, the latest one featuring on Thomas Jefferson: Six Shocking Facts About Thomas Jefferson

This, however, is a work in progress, for I update the article with additional facts about Thomas Jefferson as I come across them. Do you feel there was anything "shocking" about Jefferson's presidency -- or, more generally, his life -- that I left out and should be included? The article centers on the many contradictions Jefferson is still getting flak for to this day.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

doublejm1 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote doublejm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2013 at 16:44
Do you guys think Jefferson gets too much flak for being a slave owner when so many men of his day had slaves of their own?
doublejm1 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote doublejm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2013 at 21:51
Any thoughts on the article? Looking for some feedback.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2013 at 22:02
The Founding Fathers had their flaws, as most men of their time did. Many of them were wealthy slave owners whose long term goal was to commit genocide against the Indians and steal their land. Andy Jackson killed a man in a duel and James Madison tried to invade Canada in the hope of forcing freedom upon its inhabitants.
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2013 at 10:31
"...Many of them were wealthy slave owners whose long term goal was to commit genocide against the Indians and steal their land..."

Nick, there was never a U.S. government policy to "commit genocide against the Indians..."  Also, back in the days of the founding of the republic, it was presumed that the Eastern tribes could easily relocate into the Mid-West, and later into the West."  As for 'stealing their land', the early pioneers certainly believed that any good land that was unoccupied by one tribe or village was, per se, available for farming. They did not recognize the needs of local tribes for hunting grounds and presumed that game would always be there. So yes,  Indian lands did get stolen. In the first half of the 19th Century, when gold was discovered in North Georgia, the U.S. government did come up with a plan to rob the Southeastern tribes of land that had been recognized as theirs. So, guilty as charged on that one, though not attributable to the "founding fathers".
Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá gì
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2013 at 12:11

The link doesn't work

Timidi mater non flet
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2013 at 19:32
You are here: Home » History » Six Shocking Facts About Thomas Jefferson

Six Shocking Facts About Thomas Jefferson

by Jeff Martinez in History, February 18, 2013

Best known as the third commander-in-chief of the United States, author of the Declaration of Independence, founder of the University of Virginia, and the mastermind behind what was arguably the best real estate deal in the history of the United States – the Louisiana Purchase – Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826) is ranked among the greatest U.S. presidents of all time. But many of the decisions Jefferson made throughout his presidency and in his personal life remain a source of controversy to this day. Read on for a roundup of shocking facts about Thomas Jefferson that may forever change your view of this venerated Founding Father.

For most of my life, I have been an avid U.S. history buff, soaking up information on virtually everything from the American Revolution to World War II like a sponge.  Since so many of our nation’s landmark events have revolved around the 44 men who have taken the presidential oath of office, I’ve always felt compelled to learn as much about them as possible.  I find that most history lovers tend to zero in on our most famous presidents – from Thomas Jefferson and Abraham Lincoln to Teddy Roosevelt and Franklin Delano Roosevelt – and I’m no exception.

From the moment I learned that Thomas Jefferson authored one of the most influential documents in American history – the Declaration of Independence - I instantly became entranced by this man. Over the years I probed deeper into his life and unearthed a wealth of interesting tidbits, including the fact that Jefferson was fluent in six languages and would study roughly 15 hours a day during his formative years. Considering I love to learn new things and always dreamed of being a writer, I can certainly draw parallels between Jefferson and myself.

As much as I enjoy lauding Jefferson for his many accomplishments, it isn’t fair to look at him – or any other historic figure for that matter – through rose-colored glasses. The media and the history books generally paint the Founding Fathers as flawless heroes, but these men had their fair share of foibles like anyone else. Jefferson, in particular, has been labeled a hypocrite for taking firm positions on various issues and then making decisions that completely contradicted those positions.  Below are 6 shocking facts about Thomas Jefferson that might leave you scratching your head and questioning whether schools and the media should reassess how they portray the third president of the United States.

1. Thomas Jefferson…a shy guy?  While Jefferson was masterful with a pen and paper, he was immensely shy and introverted – so much, in fact, that he was always silent in committee meetings leading up to the American Revolution.  It’s no wonder, then, that Jefferson delivered so few speeches throughout his presidency, and that all of his annual messages were delivered in writing rather than in person. However, what Jefferson lacked in social skills he more than made up for in shrewdness, as evidenced by the Louisiana Purchase – what many scholars consider the crowning achievement of his presidency.

Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
doublejm1 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote doublejm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2013 at 23:05
Originally posted by Baal Melqart

The link doesn't work

It should. I tried and it worked just fine. 
tjadams View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Suspended, go back to historum

Quote tjadams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2013 at 20:10
Originally posted by doublejm1

Do you guys think Jefferson gets too much flak for being a slave owner when so many men of his day had slaves of their own?

Yes I do and at all the cheap attacks upon his character.
doublejm1 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote doublejm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2013 at 23:07
Originally posted by tjadams

Originally posted by doublejm1

Yes I do and at all the cheap attacks upon his character.

Does he, in your opinion, get more flak than the other Founding Fathers do?
doublejm1 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote doublejm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2013 at 17:53
Are there any Jefferson books out there that you guys can recommend?
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2013 at 19:00
''The Essentials: Five Books on Thomas Jefferson''

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/The-Essentials-Five-Books-on-Thomas-Jefferson.html
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

doublejm1 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote doublejm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2013 at 20:41
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

''The Essentials: Five Books on Thomas Jefferson''

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/The-Essentials-Five-Books-on-Thomas-Jefferson.html

Thanks for sharing. There are a lot of good books out there on TJ -- let alone Washington and the other Founding Fathers.
Stefany View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Stefany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2014 at 16:49
Originally posted by Nick1986

The Founding Fathers had their flaws, as most men of their time did. Many of them were wealthy slave owners whose long term goal was to commit genocide against the Indians and steal their land. Andy Jackson killed a man in a duel and James Madison tried to invade Canada in the hope of forcing freedom upon its inhabitants.

If by " forcing freedom upon its inhabitants" you mean conquering Canada for USA, then I agree with you. 

I don't think it is right to bash Jefferson for having slaves. I think all wealthy people had them during that era. Besides, he treated 'em well.

Edited by Stefany - 05-Mar-2014 at 16:50
My website
My history website
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language." - Robert E. Lee
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2014 at 16:59
Stefany wrote; "I don't think it is right to bash Jefferson for having slaves. I think all wealthy people had them during that era. Besides, he treated 'em well."

Those words fall upon deaf ears of that part of the family that tries to trace their relationship to Thomas Jefferson because Thomas is accused of impregnating one of his slaves. Whilst this particular female slave may have be come pregnant via Jefferson blood, it was not Thomas but his brother, who was well known for his visits to the "Slave Quarters!"

But, it is all over the hill now!

Regards, Ron

http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Stefany View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Stefany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2014 at 17:08
Originally posted by opuslola

Stefany wrote; "I don't think it is right to bash Jefferson for having slaves. I think all wealthy people had them during that era. Besides, he treated 'em well."

Those words fall upon deaf ears of that part of the family that tries to trace their relationship to Thomas Jefferson because Thomas is accused of impregnating one of his slaves. Whilst this particular female slave may have be come pregnant via Jefferson blood, it was not Thomas but his brother, who was well known for his visits to the "Slave Quarters!"

But, it is all over the hill now!

Regards, Ron

Aw yes, tons of books have been written on the subject - was Thomas Jefferson really the father of Sally's kids. Until a cold solid proof is found, I will stick to my theory that Jefferson would never sleep with a slave lady. From what I read about Jefferson, he was a man of great honor. 

But I think historians should care less with who Jefferson slept with and focus  more on his political genius
My website
My history website
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2014 at 23:33
Stefany, it seems I need some Bulgarian translation somewhere else on this site?

Ron
Stefany View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Stefany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2014 at 03:29

Stefany, it seems I need some Bulgarian translation somewhere else on this site?

Ron

I didn't get it.
My website
My history website
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2014 at 18:53
Stef!!

Here is what I found, and it just looked interesting!

Originally posted by Sidney

And, by the way Sidney, with mu full appreciation, do you have the ability to figure out this site?

https://www.google.bg/search?q=%D0%BA%D0%B0%D1%80%D1%82%D0%B0+%D0%BD%D0%B0+%D1%81%D0%B2.+%D0%B9%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%BC&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=cpAWU_zVLcmBqAG19ID4CA&ved=0CDUQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=590Another Latin source about the localization of Bulgarians http://www.promacedonia.org/libi/1/gal/1_393.html#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=xCL9xm0zrLT5YM%253A%3BoWEdT37iOnr5tM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.eurochicago.com%252Fwp-content%252Fuploads%252F2013%252F02%252FUntitled111.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.eurochicago.com%252F2013%252F02%252Fgolemite-pet-lazhi-v-balgarskata-istoriya-predstavyane-i-diskusiya-v-sofiya%252F%3B637%3B391

Seems like a lot of good stuff!

:"Life in the fast lane!" LOL

Ron

Your hit and run tactics are getting difficult to follow!

Can you explain what the point of these links are? What evidence are you presenting, what argument are you trying to support, what conclusions do you see, or, more likely, what research are you asking me to do on your behalf? Just sticking up a link with no indication of the what, why or wherefore is unhelpful for discussion.

And could you please learn how to post links correctly? It is unfortunately becoming a tiresome and unrewarding business having to rejig your failures. No impatience intended, but it would be a great help.

I don't know why it will not hyper-link, but it is a Bulgarian History site of some kind, and seems loaded with lots of good stuff. These words "карта на св. йероним" seem to identify the site and a search with these words shows a number of possibilities.

Sorry for the confusion. My knowledge of Bulgarian and anything Bulgarian is very limited! Smile!

Perhaps we have some Bulgarian speakers here?

Ron

Edited by opuslola - Mar-06-2014 at 21:54

Ron again!
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2014 at 19:02
Dear Stef! I think if you merely do a search of this ; "These words "карта на св. йероним" seem to identify the site and a search with these words shows a number of possibilities."

Regards ,
Ron, from S. Mississippi, USA!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>