Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Slavic nations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slavic nations
    Posted: 30-May-2006 at 07:28
[
These Albanians dont really look that ethnic. Someone said they arent Slavic, why not??
[/QUOTE]

How should ethnic albanians look like? The pictures you provided show us some common albanian features (in the faces). Now, of course in the balkans and everywhere else people mixed between them (interbreed or whatever you like to call it). But the point of belonging to a nation should be more related to that nations culture.
Anyway, if the serbians or the greeks look like the albanians, it doesnt only mean that they mixed between them (this fact might look offending to some of those nations), but it suggests also that they might have derived from some common ancestor.
Prej heshtjes...!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2006 at 09:50

mmmm im not quite sure how Albanians should look. But i thought Slavic was a racial sub group.

Edited by machine - 30-May-2006 at 09:52
dorian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote dorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2006 at 18:32
Originally posted by Arbλr Z

How should ethnic albanians look like? The pictures you provided show us some common albanian features (in the faces). Now, of course in the balkans and everywhere else people mixed between them (interbreed or whatever you like to call it). But the point of belonging to a nation should be more related to that nations culture.
Anyway, if the serbians or the greeks look like the albanians, it doesnt only mean that they mixed between them (this fact might look offending to some of those nations), but it suggests also that they might have derived from some common ancestor.

First of all in a nation there isn't only one or two common phenotypes. Common ancestry doesn't mean that all people are brunets or blondish. Especially in Balkans I think that the admixture is not so extensive as some people say so the DNA of the peoples hasn't change(apart from the Bulgars who were slavicised regarding their culture as well as their gene pool but it happened in the byzantine times and now they are a slavic nation). Greeks, Albanians, Slavs don't look like each other.

Here in Greece, we can easily understand if someone is anything else but Greek. Albanians, Slavs, Greeks differ.

"We are Macedonians but we are Slav Macedonians.That's who we are!We have no connection to Alexander the Greek and his Macedonia�Our ancestors came here in the 5th and 6th century" Kiro Gligorov FYROM
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2006 at 11:34
Originally posted by dorian

[/QUOT

First of all in a nation there isn't only one or two common phenotypes. Common ancestry doesn't mean that all people are brunets or blondish. Especially in Balkans I think that the admixture is not so extensive as some people say so the DNA of the peoples hasn't change(apart from the Bulgars who were slavicised regarding their culture as well as their gene pool but it happened in the byzantine times and now they are a slavic nation). Greeks, Albanians, Slavs don't look like each other.

Here in Greece, we can easily understand if someone is anything else but Greek. Albanians, Slavs, Greeks differ.

[/QUOTE]
How can you understand somebody is albanian?Pleas, tell me some physical characteristics of the albanian people.
Prej heshtjes...!
steven View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote steven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2006 at 12:02

The fact is that we all like to think we're quite different, but Greeks blend with their neighbours like everyone else for the simple reason that invading armies are very horny.

dorian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote dorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2006 at 06:07

Oh my God...!!!!!!!! Ouch

"We are Macedonians but we are Slav Macedonians.That's who we are!We have no connection to Alexander the Greek and his Macedonia�Our ancestors came here in the 5th and 6th century" Kiro Gligorov FYROM
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2006 at 06:12
Dorian whats the problem, why the omg???
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 09:28
its funny how discussion about slavs turned into discussion about albanians :D
Onkel_Wowa View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Onkel_Wowa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2006 at 15:09
" What exactly is Slavic, how do i tell if someone is Slavic or not. "

Heard from one linguist: If they call 100 - "sto", they are Slavic.

Edited by Onkel_Wowa - 07-Jun-2006 at 15:10
arras View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote arras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2006 at 13:27
"You can't - until you hear the language-slavic peoples have vey diverse appearances...slavic is not a racial term-more like linguistical\cultural one... "

"mmmm im not quite sure how Albanians should look. But i thought Slavic was a racial sub group."

Slavic is racial term ...since it referes to people with the same origins and Slavs are racial sub group ...at last as much as I understant it.

Term refers to people of the same genetic, language and cultural origin. They shared the same religion, same language, teritory and same ancestors. Of course today there are much greather diferencies between them than in 6th ct. for obvious reasons.

" " What exactly is Slavic, how do i tell if someone is Slavic or not. "

Heard from one linguist: If they call 100 - "sto", they are Slavic."

...that is simplification but may help. Slavic are Russians, Ukrainians, Belorussians, Poles, Czechs, Slovaks, Slovinians, Chorvats, Serbs, Bosniaks, people of Montenegro, Macedonians, Bulgarians. There was strong group of Slavic people in Germany which we call Luzica Serbs but they are non existant anymore probably.

...there is even something you can call "Slavic mentality" with some level of simplification

Edited by arras - 14-Jun-2006 at 13:31
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2006 at 08:59
The Slavic peoples are the dominant people in Europe right now..

The first time they appeared was in  the 6.century.. The Roman records never mention about them...So their very past is a mystery..But one thing is for sure: The Slavic Nations are a dynamic people.

What distinguishes The Slavic Nations among themselves is by where they were christianized from.

the Western Slavic Nations, Czech Republic,Slovakia,Poland were christianized by Rome and therefore catholics..They use Latin letters,and more individualistic societies in comprasion to their counterpants in the East. Their post-communist transformation was easier and more adaptable for the societies  than the ones The Eastern Slavic Nations went through.

The Eastern Slavic Nations, Russia,Ukraine,Byelarussia were christianized by Istanbul,and hence Orthodox peoples. They use different letters which contributed their separateion from the rest of the Europe. The Eastern Slavic people make up a more collectivist society than the western slavic nations make up. It this respect,I think,it should be known that the Eastern  Orhodoxy made Russia more likely to accept communism in comprasion to the western Europe.

The southern slavs are those people who had established Yugoslavia-''The Kingdom of Southern Slavs''. They were also christianized by Istanbul. Hence they are also orthdox peoples. But also Muslim slavs exist,as we see in the example of The Bosnians. Before the Ottoman Rule, The only strong state establied by the Southern Slavs was the empire of Stefan Dushan.
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote NikeBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2006 at 05:15
Diplomat, I have to correct some things:

First, it's well known (and I believe it was already mentioned in this thread) that the Romans do have records of some Slavic tribes, which they called Venedi (which was later used for all Western Slavs, while Antes was used for Eastern Slavs and Slavini - for Southern ones).
Second, the Western Slavs were indeed converted by Rome and became Catholics, writing with the Latin alphabet. But I wouldn't say they're much more individualistic than the other Slavs. F.e. we, the Bulgarians, are also very individualistic as persons, especially today.
Third, the Eastern Slavs were christianized not by Istanbul, but by Constantinople (same city, but different names with different meanings today). And these "different letters" have a name and that's Cyrillic alphabet. Which by chance happens to be "invented" in 9th century Bulgaria (and not from the saint brothers Cyril and Methodius (as most people think), which created the Glagolitic alphabet, but presumably by their disciple St. Clement of Ohrid). And the fact that the Eastern Slavs were converted with old-Bulgarian/old-Slavonic alphabet, writing and books should bring up the question: "Who did Basil II send to convert the Rus: Greek or Bulgarian monks?" Anway... As for the Eastern Slavs' collectivism, I can't really say, as I'm not so familiar with them.
Fourth, you made a mistake, which we studied in the Logic classes in 9th grade: "Yugoslavia (or South-Slavia on English) was indeed established by Southern Slavs, but not all Southern Slavs established Yugoslavia". And - yes, the Southern Slavs were also christianized by Byzantium, although in times there were negotiations with the popes (and a union in the early 13c.; btw I wonder what would've happened if we had chosen Rome). But before the Ottoman conquest, there were actually two great South Slavic states - one of them was indeed Stefan Dushan's Serbia. But the other one and, I might say, even mightier was Bulgaria, which is also South-Slavic. And at times Croatia was also an influential country, although it never reached the imperial status, as Bulgaria and Serbia.

Back on-topic: So you (people) say that the Slavs are not so much racial, rather more linguistic group? Well, that would explaing why most of us are Mediterranean looking rather than Germanic. And also to some degree it could back up all those genetic researches. But if we are Slavs mainly by language, traditions etc., what are we (South Slavs) by ethnos? Because I could hardly believe that the Bulgarians are 60% or 40% Thracians by genes, as these researches say. Not to mention that this contradicts absolutely every historiography, unofficial or official (for which some people care about so much - it must be official and world-acknowledged). Because, while official world historiography is still back on the disputable Turkic thesis for the Bulgar's origin, ALL historiographies undisputably say that the present South Slavs are Slavs, which have replaced the ancient populations of their lands, i.e. we're not Thracians.

Edited by NikeBG - 16-Jun-2006 at 05:21
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2006 at 07:12
Russians, Poles, Czechs+central European Slavs look more Germanic than Medditeranean. I think so anyway.
Scytho-Sarmatian View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Scytho-Sarmatian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2006 at 07:53
I think they (Russians, Poles, cent. Euro. Slavs) look neither Germanic nor Mediterranean, but rather like something different altogether.  I ought to know; I'm one of them.
tsar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Suspended

Quote tsar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2006 at 12:17
Originally posted by Mosquito

Aye Albanians are not Slavic people. Bulgarians are slavicised Turks.

I dont know if they can be called a nation but there are Sorbs in Germany, descendats of the medieval Slavs who were living there and were conquered by Germans.

we r not slavicized turks, those people were assimilated when they mixed heaviy with the slavs on the balkans, they are thought to have been of turkic origin but not even that is certain.

tsar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Suspended

Quote tsar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2006 at 12:25
Originally posted by RomiosArktos

Bulgarians are definitely a slavic people and Serbs are also Slavs.What
matters most is the culture.The culture of Bulgaria is predominantly
slavic.When we say Bulgars,we refer to the Turanic people but when we
say Bulgarians we mean the mixture of the Bulgars,the slavs and the
pre-Bulgar and pre-slavic population into one nation.The nation of the
Bulgarians was formed in the medieval times and all the non slavic
racial groups were assimilated by the numerous Slavs,throughout the
centuries.So,as far as I know Bulgarians are a slavic nation,although
it is different from other slavic nations,the Serbs for example,due to
the different substratum,linguistic or racial.
The Albanians are <span style="font-weight: bold;">not</span> a slavic nation,although they were influenced by them.These influences can be seen in the language.

arras View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote arras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2006 at 13:19
The Diplomat >> in which way are Slavic people dominant in Europe? ...for sure not poloticali and economicaly...

Also western Slavs were also christianized by Konstantinople. Dont forget Ciril and Method. Only in 10th century they finaly fell to Roman catholic influence. But you are in general right about diferences.

NikeBG>> to my knoweledge, Slavini (Sclavini) were those who settled in the western and northern Europe and Ants settled in Balkans.

wasnt Cirilic developed from Glagolic by students of Ciril and Method when they were exiled from Great Morava?

And I have question for all, what have Slavs to do with Illyrians and Sarmathians? I found some sources refering to Slavic people as Illyrians or Sarmatians.

Edited by arras - 16-Jun-2006 at 13:23
Simona View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Simona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2006 at 16:42
Originally posted by arras

And I have question for all, what have Slavs to do with Illyrians and Sarmathians? I found some sources refering to Slavic people as Illyrians or Sarmatians.

I think I can answer the Illyrian part:

The time of the constituting of the Pan-Slavic idea was also (roughly) the time of intense research on the Illyrian culture. The supposed Illyrian area's extent diversed depending on the researcher. Some archaeologists and linguists of the nineteenth century  believed that Illyrians had inhabited half of Europe, others would be more moderate in their assumptions, but the supposed Illyrian area never shrank below the territory of what was to become Yugoslavia (and of course Albania, but we're discussing the Illyrian-Slavic connection here).

This came handy to promotors of the Pan-Slavic/Yugoslav idea who emphasised that Serbs, Croatians, Bosnians, Slovenes, Montenegrians and Macedonians all share common cultural ancestry, i.e. Illyrian. This was a romantic and appealing idea at the time. All around former Yugoslavia we still have hotels, halls, parks, streets that bear the name Ilirija.

When I went to school we would learn about "Celts and Illyrians that had inhabited the territory of Slovenia before Slavs". After 1991 this changed to "Celts that had inhabited the territory of Slovenia before Slavs".

Our archaelogists find out that we can't really be certain if there ever were any Illyrians in present-day Slovenia.

Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2006 at 12:09
Originally posted by Simona

Originally posted by arras

I think I can answer the Illyrian part:

The time of the constituting of the Pan-Slavic idea was also (roughly) the time of intense research on the Illyrian culture. The supposed Illyrian area's extent diversed depending on the researcher. Some archaeologists and linguists of the nineteenth century  believed that Illyrians had inhabited half of Europe, others would be more moderate in their assumptions, but the supposed Illyrian area never shrank below the territory of what was to become Yugoslavia (and of course Albania, but we're discussing the Illyrian-Slavic connection here).

This came handy to promotors of the Pan-Slavic/Yugoslav idea who emphasised that Serbs, Croatians, Bosnians, Slovenes, Montenegrians and Macedonians all share common cultural ancestry, i.e. Illyrian. This was a romantic and appealing idea at the time. All around former Yugoslavia we still have hotels, halls, parks, streets that bear the name Ilirija.

When I went to school we would learn about "Celts and Illyrians that had inhabited the territory of Slovenia before Slavs". After 1991 this changed to "Celts that had inhabited the territory of Slovenia before Slavs".

Our archaelogists find out that we can't really be certain if there ever were any Illyrians in present-day Slovenia.

Hi Simona.

What about the theory that the Venetics were the ancestors of Slovenian people?

Where in Slovenia are you from? Just curious to know Smile

Death View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Death Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2006 at 23:40
You call us slav(e)s!
What about Shocs and Bunys?Arent they slavic too?
Most of you guys havent even heard of them,and i guess i havent heard of at least 10 more Slavic groups, but then again we are talking nations.Huh.
Albanians arent Slavs,they are Albanians.Bulgars are Bulgars. Dont mess with these too,...lol,...just kidding.Bulgars are more Slavs then Hungarians,that are also not Slavs but Hungarians.

Very dificult to say what is what........like saying" who are the Swiss"?Ger,Fra,Ita,right? Right.

Look at their flags-mostly red,white and blue(not American,lol),or a combination of 2 of these.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>