Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Little-Known Facts about Teddy Roosevelt

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
doublejm1 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote doublejm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Little-Known Facts about Teddy Roosevelt
    Posted: 14-Oct-2012 at 18:09
I find Teddy Roosevelt to be one of the most fascinating presidents of all time. He led the Rough Riders, dismantled monopolies as a trust buster, and spearheaded the building of the Panama Canal. I can't learn enough about this guy.

I found an article that highlights 18 little-known facts about Teddy: 18 Things You Didn't Know About Teddy Roosevelt

But I'm sure this article is missing interesting facts not covered in the history books. Can any of you guys share something noteworthy about T.R. that even history buffs might not know? If you know an interesting if little known fact about any of the other presidents, feel free to share those as well.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2012 at 09:49
I'm going to let this slide by one time.  If i see any more adverising of Socy Berty, I will first ban you, then go directly to your site and spam the place like a champ.  

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2012 at 10:28
One little known fact is he had a quite high pitch nasally voice. So anyone who's ever imaged him deep toned, gravelly and Batman-like is quite wrong.

Edited by Toltec - 15-Oct-2012 at 10:30
Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2012 at 11:10
There are, I believe, several Edison wax cylinders on which is recorded one of his last speeches.  The LOC holds them now.  But I do believe a remastered version is available.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2012 at 14:11
Originally posted by Toltec

One little known fact is he had a quite high pitch nasally voice. So anyone who's ever imaged him deep toned, gravelly and Batman-like is quite wrong.

Not to mention with a New Yorker Brahman tone and air of unintended perhaps intended superiority. Imaging him thundering out "charge" is difficult.Wink
But they didn't follow the feisty and tough son of a bitch because of his voice.

They loved him.

And for a trooper that's enough.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

doublejm1 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote doublejm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2012 at 21:45

That's true. I guess that's why he urged us to "speak softly, and carry a big stick."
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2012 at 23:02
Originally posted by doublejm1

That's true. I guess that's why he urged us to "speak softly, and carry a big stick."

Nope.

That's based on his experience and habit it turns out of resisting political corruption or excessive influence, coercion and strict adherence to a party leader's platforms and agendas. And in particular that found within the 'party boss' systems inherent to political parties, in the 19th century American political scene.

In this case, it was Governor of NY, T. Roosevelt vs. the famous Republican Party Boss of NY; T.C. Platt.

The feud was over a political appointment... a Governor's prerogative. But the system of the day and to a degree to this day, had the party boss dictating who would get what-where-why...ie. political patronage.

TR refused Platt's dictum's and even when threatened with the loss of the powerful political support of the NY Republican caucus, held out until Platt caved. It comes to us from a letter written to a friend when, in discussing the event, TR wrote: 'I have always been fond of the West African proverb: "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far." ' "

It later becomes associated with his general attitude in dealing with potential foes and or opponents domestically and internationally.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 15-Oct-2012 at 23:07

S. T. Friedman

Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2012 at 03:06
Originally posted by red clay

There are, I believe, several Edison wax cylinders on which is recorded one of his last speeches.  The LOC holds them now.  But I do believe a remastered version is available.

Yes, that's a where I got the insight to how he speaks from. I opened up the Edison recording expecting to hear Darth Vader and heard Mickey Mouse instead.
Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
Bobby View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Bobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2012 at 14:55
He also has a river in the Amazon named after him, the Rio Tedero (Roosevelt River in English). He went on an expedition to uncharted Amazon territory and in the process found this previously unknown river, and the expedition named it after him. He also was injured on the trek, had to be carried all the way back, and was a few days away from death. The man had no fear in situations where most would.
I am wiser than he in that I do not think I know that which I do not know. - Socrates
Bobby View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Bobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2012 at 14:56
Correction the river is spelled 'Rio Teodoro'.
I am wiser than he in that I do not think I know that which I do not know. - Socrates
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2012 at 14:58
Biggest respect to this man is Teddy Bear:LOL

Edited by medenaywe - 16-Oct-2012 at 15:00
doublejm1 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote doublejm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2012 at 18:56
Originally posted by Bobby

He also has a river in the Amazon named after him, the Rio Tedero (Roosevelt River in English). He went on an expedition to uncharted Amazon territory and in the process found this previously unknown river, and the expedition named it after him. He also was injured on the trek, had to be carried all the way back, and was a few days away from death. The man had no fear in situations where most would.

Other than streets, schools, and rivers, is there anything else named after Teddy?
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2012 at 22:58
1. Stenomorpha roosevelti. Newly found species of beetle.

2. Theodore Roosevelt Dam/Theodore Roosevelt lake. Salt river, Phoenix, AZ.

3. Theodore Roosevelt National Park. NPS. North Dakota.

4. USS Theodore Roosevelt. CVN 71. Currently on station at Norfolk Naval yard. Norfolk, VA.

5. Theodore Roosevelt Center. Dickinson State University, Dickinson, ND. See: http://www.theodorerooseveltcenter.org/About-Us.aspx

6. Theodore Roosevelt Association. See: http://www.theodoreroosevelt.org/index.htm

7. Theodore Roosevelt Island and National Memorial. Potomac River, Washington D.C.

8. Theodore and Franklin D. Roosevelt Prize in Naval History.

9. Roosevelt Avenue. San Antonio, TX.

10. Roosevelt Road. Chicago, ILL.

12. Roosevelt Elk Herd.  Redwood NP. NPS. California. And Olympic NP. NPS. Washington.

13. Teddy Roosevelt Terrier. See: http://www.utrtca.com/

14. USS Theodore Roosevelt (SSBN-600). Decommissioned and stricken from service in 1995 as part of the SSRP.

15. USS Theodore Roosevelt (ID-1478). Decommissioned, USN, and sold for commercial usage July 1919. Sold for scrap in 1950.

And last but not least, as this can continue in various forms covering various streets etc.....one of my personal favorites as a soldier.

Theodore Roosevelt Jr.  Brigadier General, USA. MOH, DSC, SS, PH, LOH, Croix de guerre. 26th US Infantry Regiment 'Blue Spaders', 1st United States Infantry Division 'Big Red One' and Asst Division Commander (ADC). Later ADC, 4th United States Infantry Division, 'Ivy', Utah Beach, Operation Overlord.

S. T. Friedman

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2012 at 06:52

No wonder he had to act tough all the timeLOL
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
doublejm1 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote doublejm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2012 at 00:55
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

1. Stenomorpha roosevelti. Newly found species of beetle.

2. Theodore Roosevelt Dam/Theodore Roosevelt lake. Salt river, Phoenix, AZ.

3. Theodore Roosevelt National Park. NPS. North Dakota.

4. USS Theodore Roosevelt. CVN 71. Currently on station at Norfolk Naval yard. Norfolk, VA.

5. Theodore Roosevelt Center. Dickinson State University, Dickinson, ND. See: http://www.theodorerooseveltcenter.org/About-Us.aspx

6. Theodore Roosevelt Association. See: http://www.theodoreroosevelt.org/index.htm

7. Theodore Roosevelt Island and National Memorial. Potomac River, Washington D.C.

8. Theodore and Franklin D. Roosevelt Prize in Naval History.

9. Roosevelt Avenue. San Antonio, TX.

10. Roosevelt Road. Chicago, ILL.

12. Roosevelt Elk Herd.  Redwood NP. NPS. California. And Olympic NP. NPS. Washington.

13. Teddy Roosevelt Terrier. See: http://www.utrtca.com/

14. USS Theodore Roosevelt (SSBN-600). Decommissioned and stricken from service in 1995 as part of the SSRP.

15. USS Theodore Roosevelt (ID-1478). Decommissioned, USN, and sold for commercial usage July 1919. Sold for scrap in 1950.

And last but not least, as this can continue in various forms covering various streets etc.....one of my personal favorites as a soldier.

Theodore Roosevelt Jr.  Brigadier General, USA. MOH, DSC, SS, PH, LOH, Croix de guerre. 26th US Infantry Regiment 'Blue Spaders', 1st United States Infantry Division 'Big Red One' and Asst Division Commander (ADC). Later ADC, 4th United States Infantry Division, 'Ivy', Utah Beach, Operation Overlord.

Great list!  Had no idea that many organizations were named in his honor.

I recently saw a documentary on FDR. It turns out that FDR's idol was none other than his esteemed cousin Teddy. Like Theodore, Franklin D. Roosevelt served as Assistant Secretary of the Navy and Governor of New York. In addition, both men dropped out of Columbia Law School.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2012 at 08:05
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2012 at 17:45
Othe then Washington....probably had the worst teeth ever held in the office. But like GW. He was, even tho a progessive (and btw there is a difference in the mentality of that political ideaology from then till now), a man who believed in action when necessary and not simply because it might have gotten him popular. Which it did anyway.

He was as they say up in ND. A real "corker''.

I personally would have rode with the old bastard anywhere anytime.

S. T. Friedman

doublejm1 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote doublejm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2012 at 21:35
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

Originally posted by doublejm1

Nope.

That's based on his experience and habit it turns out of resisting political corruption or excessive influence, coercion and strict adherence to a party leader's platforms and agendas. And in particular that found within the 'party boss' systems inherent to political parties, in the 19th century American political scene.

In this case, it was Governor of NY, T. Roosevelt vs. the famous Republican Party Boss of NY; T.C. Platt.

The feud was over a political appointment... a Governor's prerogative. But the system of the day and to a degree to this day, had the party boss dictating who would get what-where-why...ie. political patronage.

TR refused Platt's dictum's and even when threatened with the loss of the powerful political support of the NY Republican caucus, held out until Platt caved. It comes to us from a letter written to a friend when, in discussing the event, TR wrote: 'I have always been fond of the West African proverb: "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far." ' "

It later becomes associated with his general attitude in dealing with potential foes and or opponents domestically and internationally.

Interesting. There's always something new to learn about Teddy!
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2012 at 08:50
doublejm1 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote doublejm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2012 at 19:20
Originally posted by Nick1986

Rough Riders: an autobiography
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=vBN_503yK9gC&printsec=frontcover&dq=roosevelt+rough+riders&hl=en&sa=X&ei=hS7LUK_wIIHE0QX7yIGYDA&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

I'll definitely look into this.

Seems there's always something new to learn about Teddy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>