Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Umps Screwed The Pooch!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Online Status: Offline
  Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Umps Screwed The Pooch!!
    Posted: 08-Oct-2012 at 12:50
And in true MLB fashion, the League backed them up.  Lame as hell, and what's worse, the sportscasters all let it go out of fear of League reprisals.

The Atlanta Braves had 2 men on base, 1 out.  Their next batter punched a high fly ball into shallow left field,  the Cards Shortstop went way off the cutout, he couldn't make the catch, the left fielder backed off and the ball hit the ground.  Almost simultaneously, the 3rd base Umpire threw up his hand and called the "infield fly rule".  The runner is automatically out.  Instead of scoring to possibly tie the game,  They now had 2 outs and the next guy up struck out.
The Atlanta crowd went nuts, as you can imagine, near riot actually.

By Baseballs own definition, the infield is the space within the baselines.  By any other authority, it's either that, or the back edge of the cutout.  This mess happened a full 30 ft on the outfield grass.  There is no way in hell the infield fly rule should have been called, and after the fact, the umps knew it.
Joe Torre was the League rep on site, his response was to not overturn it because it was a "judgment call".  Right, a judgement call that ran contrary to Baseballs own rules.

An Umpires job is to call the game fairly, enforce the rules of the game, and to not influence the outcome of the game.  This ump scored 0 on all 3.

Somebody should check his bank account.Evil Smile

sststr View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote sststr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2012 at 13:45
Maybe MLB hired some of the NFL's replacement refs after the NFL referee lockout ended?
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2012 at 14:11
Makes you wonder.  It was explained that they always add xtra umps in playoff games and this gent was not used to 3rd base.  Doesn't wash, he should be aware of all rules regardless.

You did come close to the root here, MLB is hiring umpires that aren't of the same quality as the players.

AAMOF, The image that has been projected by most [I said most, not all] umpires in the last 2-3 years is less than professional.
I was astounded the first time I saw an Ump. clean the home plate with his hand.  No self respecting umpire in the past would have done that, they traditionally carried small "whisk brooms".

Edited by red clay - 08-Oct-2012 at 14:18
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2012 at 15:29
Twas a burnjob. Saw on ESPN. Fer shit like that the owners remain the key.. slam the commish and slam the umps. And the gawdamn Packers let Indy beat em...not a good day for yer humble CAV Trooper.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2012 at 09:32
Personally I think the "One Game Playoff" stinks.  Best 2 of 3 should be the way they do it.

I also think it should have been anyone but the Cardinals. Big smile

sststr View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote sststr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2012 at 15:45
Bah, go back to the old school best of seven :P

But then again, if the officiating is going to be as bad as it is, I guess it almost doesn't matter, one game or seven...
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2012 at 11:25
The division title series is best of 5, The WS is best of 7, I just thought the wild card should be best of 3.  With a lot of thought given to the officiating, and that humans are handling it.Wink  There is less of a chance that the outcome would be decided on one bad call.

toyomotor View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

BANNED TROLL

Quote toyomotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2014 at 00:45
Red: Sorry old mate, but the term "Screwed the Pooch" has an entirely different meaning here in Oz.

Screw=Sexual Intercourse:
Pooch= A dog.

I do take it that you mean the Umpires mucked up!
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2014 at 08:24
Originally posted by toyomotor

Red: Sorry old mate, but the term "Screwed the Pooch" has an entirely different meaning here in Oz.

Screw=Sexual Intercourse:
Pooch= A dog.

I do take it that you mean the Umpires mucked up!

The meaning here is exactly the same.  And yes they mucked it up rather badly.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
 Post Reply Post Reply