Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is Evolution The Best Answer?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Evolution The Best Answer?
    Posted: 25-Aug-2012 at 20:19
Wait...don't call the guys with the rubber tuxedos with the extra long sleeves quit yet.

Is "evolution" the best answer for any species, including ours?

The Darwinian Model holds that evolution is a mutational process that favors changes leading to enhanced survivability, but to what end?

Imagine, if you will, that a species, any species, becomes perfectly adapted to it's environment.  What happens then?  The usual answer is inevitable extinction, because becoming highly speacialized within an ecological niche eventually becomes couinter-productive.  There are a few exceptions, of course.  Cockroaches and sharks come immediatley to mind, but so do all those species listed as endangered, which is merely a PC way of saying that they cannot cope with environmental changes.

I used to live near Palmer Lake, just south of Castle Rock, CO.  Along the freeway, bounded on the north side by a quarry, the south side by a former landscaping business, now a ranch, on the west side by four lanes of constant, noisy traffic and on the east side by the tracks of the Union Pacific Railway (trains every 20 minutes 24/7), lies a small park. Not much of park, scrubby, full of things you don't want to hike through, and home to rattlesnakes, coyotes and the occasional bear...BUT...it is sacred ground - it is the home of the Preeble's Jumping Mouse, an endangered species.

I lived up there for about twenty years, hiked through there and geocached there a lot, and never once saw a Preeble.  Talked to the park rangers, and they never saw one either, but it's still sacred ground.  My suspicion is that the Preeble's primary function in life is to feed the rattlesnake population and the raptors that abound, hawks, owls, falcons, etc.  Maybe the coyotes, too.

Now, if I could tak to Darwin, I would ask him what gives with the Preeble?  It can't survive across the highway where there are hundreds of acres of lush grassland and forest, or anywhere else but that scrubby patch of land, maybe ten acres total.  It is that well adapted to that environment, and that cannot be a good thing.  If people were that adapted, we would all be dead the moment we left our immediate neighbrohood.  Same for the animals we depend upon to feed us.

So when does "evolution" stop serving a useful purpose and become instead detrimental to life?  We know that it happens a lot, because we can look up the list of "endangered species" and count them up., but Life doesn't seem to favor highly efficient adaptation. 

Instead, Life seems to favor non-specialization, such as humans and cockroaches.  Live anywhere, eat anything, and able to relocate on a minute's notice.  Is this a flaw in Darwin's Theory, or something else?  Is non-specialization a form of specialization after all?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Delenda est Roma View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2012 at 20:33
Well first Darwin didn't come up with it. Second I agree it doesn't explain alot. What are we left with? I conclude with a mix of evolution and creationism.
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2012 at 21:07
Originally posted by Delenda est Roma

Well first Darwin didn't come up with it. Second I agree it doesn't explain alot. What are we left with? I conclude with a mix of evolution and creationism.

Perhaps not, but his is the theory generally accepted at the moment. 

Assuming for a moment that creationism is an equally valid theory  - no offense and no intention to start a discussion about religion - doesn't that still beg the question?  Perhaps more so?  Why create a life form that cannot survive change?

It seems to me that Creationism would lead to a world full of living things that needed nothing further in order to live on no matter what happened...living things perfectly suited to their purpose, like the cockroach.
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2012 at 21:10
But why? Who is to say He can't control change? I cant say I knoe his designs . Yet I can't see any of this around me is without some creator.
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2012 at 16:03

But why? Who is to say He can't control change? I cant say I knoe his designs . Yet I can't see any of this around me is without some creator.

If a creator could control change, why allow extinction, which implies faulty design?
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2012 at 16:49
Who is to say he hadn't planned it? We have no clue we only assume.
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2012 at 17:00

Who is this he you are talking about, Delenda est Roma?
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2012 at 17:02
Originally posted by Mountain Man

Imagine, if you will, that a species, any species, becomes perfectly adapted to it's environment.  What happens then?
Are you aware of an environment that never changes?
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2012 at 17:11
Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

Who is this he you are talking about, Delenda est Roma?

Read the entire conversation?
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2012 at 17:21

Read the entire conversation?
Done that, now can you explain?
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2012 at 17:42
God obviously.
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2012 at 18:10

Imagine, if you will, that a species, any species, becomes perfectly adapted to it's environment.  What happens then?
Are you aware of an environment that never changes?

No, but I am aware of species which can readily adapt and survive change, while many others cannot.

The dinosaurs were a prime example of overly adapted species.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2012 at 18:56

God obviously.
Is God obvious? If so, have you a proven way to show the existence of such an entity. Would such an entity be able to prove without a shadow of a doubt to itself that they were indeed omnipotent? Is it even possible to be omnipotent? 
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2012 at 18:58
Answer your own question which was never asked mentioned or anything. Smells like one of your frequent red herrings....
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2012 at 19:00

Were the dinosaurs really an overly adapted species? What does it take to qualify to be an overly adapted species?
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2012 at 14:05

Were the dinosaurs really an overly adapted species? What does it take to qualify to be an overly adapted species?

Unable to survive in an altered environment would be my definition.  Humans, for example, can adapt to changes in temperatiure, raifall, food supply and a host of other factors.  Meanwhile, we have laws protecting endangered species because they cannot adapt to changing habitat; therefore "overly adapted".
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2012 at 14:50

Unable to survive in an altered environment would be my definition.  Humans, for example, can adapt to changes in temperatiure, raifall, food supply and a host of other factors.  Meanwhile, we have laws protecting endangered species because they cannot adapt to changing habitat; therefore "overly adapted".
I think I once saw a programme on my Mummy's television box, which warned of the dangers of mega volcanoes. I think there was somat about 75% of humankind bring deaded from an eruption. Just you imagine the full extent of what the dinosaurs had to face, and then try to say people would have had a chance in hell at that time of adapting.
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2012 at 17:28

I think I once saw a programme on my Mummy's television box, which warned of the dangers of mega volcanoes. I think there was somat about 75% of humankind bring deaded from an eruption. Just you imagine the full extent of what the dinosaurs had to face, and then try to say people would have had a chance in hell at that time of adapting.

We're facing the same circumstances when, not if, the Yellowstone super-volcano erupts.  It's way overdue right now. I suppose my answer is that we had all better hope that we can adapt.  After all, we once thought that we could survive global nuclear war.

Personally, from everything I have seen and read, Yellowstone will be an ELE, the end of everything for every one of us within a mere few years from the eruption.  It will make nuclear winter look like a cloudy weekend by comparison, and will radically lower global temperatures, particularly in the major food producing nations.  The last people on Earth will indoubtedly starve to death after cannibalism fails to make up the loss of food..

As for the dinosaurs, they reached the end of their evolutionary road and became far too specialized to have survived even without the Chicxulub or the Declan Traps events.  They had evolved to great sizes in order to survive more efficiently, and had become dependent on very specific diets.  Climate change alone would have been enough to eradicate them eventually.

Just my thoughts...
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2012 at 17:45
Dinosaurs loved for MILLIONS of years. If thats not adapting what is?
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2012 at 18:37

Dinosaurs loved for MILLIONS of years. If thats not adapting what is?

Not sure I understand what dinosaurs' love lives have to do with the thread? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>