Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best Global History and Geography Books

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
vaberella View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote vaberella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Global History and Geography Books
    Posted: 04-Aug-2012 at 23:43
Hey guys,

I'm a newly teacher and actually lurked here for years reading up on the site.  Not knowing enough to contribute.  I am deeply interested in History and would like to bring that in an innovative but informative way---that is not white washed to my students. 

Does anyone here know any great text books or just history books out there that are a must read?  I'm about to purchase some Zinn books but also H.G. Wells' book, Outline of History.  Any others?
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2012 at 00:54
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2012 at 07:57
Honestly, I don't like Wells - too much personally opinionated, and too romantic. But this is only me.
What kind of history do you teach, if it's not a secret?
vaberella View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote vaberella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2012 at 09:17
Not a secret at all, Don Quixote.  It will be Global History and Geography.  It's high school level, so it's like generic-white washed history---remember in HS we were never given the real taste of history, it was sort of skimmed over.   

I am trying to find innovative ways to make the kids interested.  Not to mention to take such an interest in the Social Sciences that they want to actually go into the field.  I had such an a great Anthropology teacher that I will be working on my PhD in the subject and loved it so much.  But to say there are no minorities taking an interest is the truth.  I will be working in the inner city and want to give them something they can connect too. 

I want to meld a bit of Old World and New World.  Kind of like have the students pretend that they are Chenghis Khan writing a blog or something...if he had one.  Or something as quirky.  Mixing modern day technology with ancient history to give the kids that connection.  Plus, as I said I want to make the subject super interesting.

Thanks @ Centrix Vigilis for the post.  I will look into them.

Edited by vaberella - 05-Aug-2012 at 09:20
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2012 at 13:31
You got my dream job, vaberellaSmile. Good job and good luck with all your great intentions.Smile
Some e-books here  http://www.e-booksdirectory.com/listing.php?category=145

I personally have a weekness for Toynbee and his "Study of History", but the abridged versions that are available around are even harder to read than the original; besides I have a minority taste, so don't take it as a recommendation, unless you are a sworn adventurerDead.

Edited by Don Quixote - 05-Aug-2012 at 13:52
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2012 at 22:22
Originally posted by Don Quixote

Honestly, I don't like Wells - too much personally opinionated, and too romantic. But this is only me.
What kind of history do you teach, if it's not a secret?

Interesting observation. I feel much the same about Zinn whose history was exceptional until he fell into the politicalization of it as anti-war appeaser and icon for the liberal left. And that's not merely my opinion but a fact about him.

But for that I'll take it to another thread not here.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2012 at 08:25
I read about Zinn and my impression was that he is too one-sided, so I haven't read him yet.
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2012 at 09:41
Originally posted by vaberella

Hey guys,

I'm a newly teacher and actually lurked here for years reading up on the site.  Not knowing enough to contribute.

Hell, vaberella, even I scratch around on this site, and I was hardly able to gain the very low grades I did at school.Dead
Although come to think of it, the quality of my contributions isn't too hot either.

Edited by TheAlaniDragonRising - 07-Aug-2012 at 10:37
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2012 at 13:36
Alani, there is nothing wrong with your contributions, your one of our folks that I miss when you don't post.

Vaberella, good luck with your teaching.  I am also a teacher.  However, teaching the population I dealt with was more like washing your car with someone driving it.Big smile  Spec.ed. forever!

In your quest to make your subject matter more attractive, don't ignore the folks who have made a career out of just that.  Good concise history texts are important yes, but look up Harry K Wong.  He's sort of the Guru of effective teaching.

Quite often it's not the subject matter, but what you do with it.

TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2012 at 14:03
Originally posted by red clay

Alani, there is nothing wrong with your contributions, your one of our folks that I miss when you don't post.
red clay, sir, you honour me greatly with your words, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.Smile

What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Kevinmeath View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Kevinmeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2012 at 18:11
Well I am a History and Geography teacher as well-- but in good old Ireland.
I am not a fan of books as such they are just a resource.

Say it once and say it often, being enthusiastic (god that can be so hard and to put it simply some class' are bastards) but try to make it interesting -- stories everyone likes stories (not always great history but its a compromise.)
cymru am byth
 Post Reply Post Reply