Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Museums?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BIGUS View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote BIGUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Museums?
    Posted: 14-Jul-2012 at 11:33
Hi everyone, you will have to bare with me I am new to this? I am not an expert on Roman History although I am a casual enthusiast. I have visited Turkey about 20 times although I haven't been for 11 years, I am planning to visit again next year mainly the Lycian coastal area, staying in my favourite resort Patara, has anyone been to this region? It is simply stunning, I have many photographs having visited places such as, Xanthos, Letoon, Myra and Tlos and patara. This time I am going back with a digital camera and going to take more pictures. I was looking on a lycian website where I was horrified to discover that most of the artifacts in Lycia are in the British Mueseum, and a lot of the tombs etc have been replaced by "casts", does anyone agree that these items should be returned to their natural locations? I believe someone called John Fellows discovered these items and took them to England. Also has anyone been to Patara, it is the most beautifull place.         
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2012 at 19:06
Absolutely not. If we hadn't saved these artefacts they would have been lost or destroyed years ago.
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
d' artagnan View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Spawn of P,C,MA

Quote d' artagnan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2012 at 21:07
Says the Brit.
Hunter Johns

"We're surrounded? Good, now we can kill the bastards in any direction."
— Col. Chesty Puller | Korean War
 Post Reply Post Reply