Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Kraft Wants NFL Team in London

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Online Status: Offline
  Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kraft Wants NFL Team in London
    Posted: 28-Jun-2012 at 16:21

Bob Kraft wants NFL team in England?

Thu Jun 28, 4:22 PM UTC

New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft insisted that he would like to see the United Kingdom have its own NFL team within the next 10 years.

Speaking on a promotional tour of London ahead of his team's NFL International Series meeting with the St. Louis Rams at Wembley Stadium on Oct. 28, the influential Kraft stressed the importance of growing football overseas.

"I personally think we should have a franchise in London and that is something I am going to push for," Kraft said. "I think I said that the last time we were over here in 2009 and before this next decade is out, I hope we have a team here. I think that would be right for the NFL and this fan base has proven they deserve it."

Kraft continued, "I think we're starting to tap out in the United States. If you look at the last Super Bowl we were in this past season, we had over 180 million people watching — that's almost two thirds of America. So for us to grow the game, we have to expand globally. Having seen the kind of support we have received here in London, it is the intention of the NFL owners to get two games here, starting next year."

He added, "The only bad part of putting a franchise in London is that I can assure you it won't be the Patriots who are moving here."

Kraft's Patriots last played at Wembley Stadium in 2009. Although that was officially a Tampa Bay Buccaneers home game, it was New England who received the most vocal support from the 85,000-strong crowd as Tom Brady led the Patriots to a comfortable 35-7 victory.

Kraft explained, "We lobbied hard to come back after having such a good experience in 2009. We would love to be the permanent visiting team. It was good for team bonding and everyone really enjoyed our last trip to London."

He added, "I'm really proud that we're the number one-supported team in the UK and have been for close to a decade. In the last few years that support has been enhanced. We have a thriving Patriots UK Fan Club and they come across the pond every year and attend a game. We love our brothers and sisters over here in the UK."

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2012 at 16:38
What we need is something similar to "International Rules Football" so our rugby teams can play against the Yanks (and the Aussies and Irish)
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2012 at 17:00
Great plan.... soccer sucks...ladyboy sport anyhoo..... tho Pele would have made an excellent tight end and the Brits are ready and have been ready for real football.
Their only other sport worth mentioning is Cricket. Golf belongs to the Scots and Tennis to the French.

You may refer counters to me somewhere between Artesia and Lordsburg.

And now..... back to the pens.

Also sprach Centrix Vigilis.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2012 at 17:37
I'm sorry CV, but football(soccer) is by far the greatest supported team sport, and is still growing in size. American football, made famous to most by its outing in the original mean machine, has a huge handicap against it, its name. People love sports which they can identify with, so how do they do this in a sport which tells everyone it doesn't belong to them in its name?
It always interests me as to where people get their references from when suggesting football(soccer) is somehow effeminate. A number of years ago, when the programme known as the gladiators was showing in Britain there was a special in which a number of very powerful sports stars took part. At the last second John Fashanu, a football player(soccer) was roped in. Those who remember that show will remember how he showed just how powerful athletes professional football(soccer) players tend to be. Oh yes and he easily won too.

Edited by TheAlaniDragonRising - 28-Jun-2012 at 17:57
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2012 at 08:59
All very well and good Alani, except your overlooking the facts.  The NFL is responding to expressed interest from fans in the UK.  The amount of money needed to just establish a team in London is substantial, not something you do on spec.  There has been enough interest shown by the fans to get them thinking about it.

Alani, that was CV doing his "this will get him going" thing.  Soccer is hardly effeminate, it's just a very different game than "American Football".  And just instituting international rules wouldn't work either.  You would have to invent a whole new sport incorporating all 3 sports, Yawn. SleepyBig smile

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2012 at 10:13
Originally posted by red clay

All very well and good Alani, except your overlooking the facts.  The NFL is responding to expressed interest from fans in the UK.  The amount of money needed to just establish a team in London is substantial, not something you do on spec.  There has been enough interest shown by the fans to get them thinking about it.
I welcome the NFL once again trying to sell the game over here, really. I'm only a little sceptical however in regards to there being anywhere near enough people to sustain a league structure over here for any prolonged period of time. I would be very interested as to the spread of support over here, to see in which way the NFL are wanting to do things. Maybe they will aim to do another of those European leagues again. In this way a single UK team might work for now. Btw, red, I should be getting a tour around an NFL ground within the next couple of weeks, which I'm looking forward to. No doubt it would be prudent for me to follow the team my girlfriend does.

Originally posted by red clay

Alani, that was CV doing his "this will get him going" thing.  Soccer is hardly effeminate, it's just a very different game than "American Football".  And just instituting international rules wouldn't work either.  You would have to invent a whole new sport incorporating all 3 sports, Yawn. SleepyBig smile

Yes I know, red, but hey, why should he just have all the fun.LOL

I agree with you on the international rules idea. No amount of rule manipulation can handle the difference between games such as American Football and Rugby, for instance, when the direction the ball is thrown differs so greatly.
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2012 at 12:57
Yes I know, red, but hey, why should he just have all the fun...
Exactly...Red just crotchety loves baseball...so do I...but real men play the pigskin not the lady boy ball...or cricket....cricket and curling.... yep they excite the women and puts hair in areas that I can not discuss....tho that might be the beer.

S. T. Friedman

Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2012 at 13:36
I agree with Red Clay, could work, but would need a few changes for the British audience.

First Rugby is flowing game, it runs for 40mins, Gridiron runs for 45secs at a time. The stops need to be abolished.

Secondly players would need to get fit, backs in Gridiron are fit and fast but the forwards just fatties. Rugby backs can run almost as fast as forwards and are superfit. Gridiron forwards need to be sent to fat camp.

Third all that girlie body armour needs to go, what a bunch of poofs่่. ่I'd feel shame if my nation's sportsmen were as Gay as Gridiron player.

Finally the name, Gridiron just doesn't roll off the tongue, perhaps if they called it some cool like Rugby!

Edited by Toltec - 29-Jun-2012 at 13:40
Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2012 at 07:56
As a veteran of some serious rugby...with broken nose and various bones in hands and left foot not to mention a serious sprain or two.....I can seriously and confidently report that it is a real man's sport. No ladyboys will make it on that field.

Exciting in it's own way.... but not as much as curling.... which is what busted up, injured rugby, players watch as they drink beer.

S. T. Friedman

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2012 at 08:46
Fatties? your ref. is to the linemen who weigh in at 300+ and stand 6' 4 or better and can bench press their own weight or better?  One of them could pitch you like a cricket ball, so I would be cautious if I were you.  I was a linebacker, my playing weight was around 250-260, at 6'6"-7.  With full equipment on I was at 270-280, and too light to play line as a regular, but as a pass rusher I fit in fine.  I would never consider playing that or any related game without max protection.  You can make all the funny comments you want about girlie stuff, but when you see an athlete carted off the field, with a full med. staff in attendence, it's no sissy stuff going on out there, guys are getting hurt.  Go to the training room Monday or Tues. morning and take a look at all of the injuries being treated.  This goes for all of the sports mentioned, pads or no pads, it's part of the game, take it or leave it.
Unknown.
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2012 at 10:10
CB/FB when there still was such a thing @ 175-180 good enough for CB. Did pretty good there in my senior year...made the road squad. But to light for FB between the tackles. I keep bouncing off the D linemen then the LB's would waste me.

S. T. Friedman

tjadams View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Suspended, go back to historum

Quote tjadams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2012 at 15:12
Crazy idea. Think of the logistics. Won't work. 
Exhibition games are one thing, but to plant a 
team there to compete with the US teams?
No way.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2012 at 16:38
Originally posted by tjadams

Crazy idea. Think of the logistics. Won't work. 
Exhibition games are one thing, but to plant a 
team there to compete with the US teams?
No way.

Not really crazy.  When you think about it there isn't much diff than the Giants going to SF, and VV.  This isn't fresh news.  The NFL has been mulling this over for a few years.  If Kraft is involved, you can bet it's been thought through and all aspects have been looked at.  When your talking that kind of an investment, it's not knee jerk. 
The test will be public interest.  The first season or 2 it will be novelty.  How long??  Esp. since a start up team always takes a few years to develope.

Unknown.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2012 at 17:16
I wonder how all this fits in with the existing American football already played here(obviously unknown by the likes of me to now). I've just found out of its existence from wiki.

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2012 at 19:15
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
tjadams View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Suspended, go back to historum

Quote tjadams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2012 at 23:06
[/QUOTE]

Not really crazy.  When you think about it there isn't much diff than the Giants going to SF, and VV.  This isn't fresh news.  The NFL has been mulling this over for a few years.  If Kraft is involved, you can bet it's been thought through and all aspects have been looked at.  When your talking that kind of an investment, it's not knee jerk. 
The test will be public interest.  The first season or 2 it will be novelty.  How long??  Esp. since a start up team always takes a few years to develope.

[/QUOTE]

I don't see the other owners or even the player's union, signing off on this.
Before the NFL branches out so far away with a novelty sport for Europe, it would
expand into Mexico
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2012 at 14:07
There's been no expressed interest in an NFL team in Mexico.  There is however a considerable interest in an MLB team in Mexico City.
Unknown.
 Post Reply Post Reply