Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Influence of Hinduism in South East Asia History

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sharwina_7 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote sharwina_7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Influence of Hinduism in South East Asia History
    Posted: 19-Jun-2012 at 09:18
there is 11 country in south East asia: 
-Thailand -myanmar -Laos -Cambodia
-philipiness -brunei -Malaysia -Singapore
-Indonesia -Vietnam -East Timor. 

1-In SE Asia history is that each and every country there influenced by Hindu/hinduism? At least for small period of time?
2-lets share what we know about each country, when did thailand influenced by Hinduism? when is cambodia? how about brunei? vietnam and so on. lets talk about each country in what period of year they influenced by Hinduism.

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2012 at 13:14
Toltec's the best person to talk to about this, but i could find a few useful books for you. Here's one on Cambodian Hinduism:
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=CMKksaGQDG0C&lpg=PA177&dq=hinduism%20southeast%20asia&pg=PA177#v=onepage&q&f=false
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2012 at 14:35
Angkor Wat in Cambodia is technically the world's largest Hindu temple complex. The Khmer Empire had Hinduism as one of its official religions.

The Champa Kingdom of modern day Vietnam was mainly Hindu for must of its existence.

Indonesia/Malaysia as a region was traditionally animist religions, but was later influenced first by Hinduism, then Buddhism, then Islam (and a smaller scale Christianity).

The Philippines, pre-christianity, too was influenced by Hindu culture, Imported from the Javanese Majapahit Empire. When the Spanish arrived many of the Island leaders were referred to as Rajas.

The whole of South East Asia as a region has evidence of Brahmic scripts being used at various times during their history, the languages full of loan words frokm Sanskrit and other Indian languages, and there remain Hindu minorities all over the region.
Arrrgh!!"
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2012 at 19:41
Here's a short overview you might find helpful Sharwina:
http://vedicempire.com/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=94
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
 Post Reply Post Reply