Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help on Baroque Era Novel!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
humoresques View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote humoresques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help on Baroque Era Novel!
    Posted: 11-Apr-2012 at 22:14
Hel

Hello everyone! I'm Emily, and I've always been a huge fan of history. I'm currently planning on writing a historical novel, and I figured I would come on over and receive help from other historians. Anyway, on to the task at hand!

Since I've finished reading Marvel 1602 and The Baroque Cycle, I've been thinking of writing a story in which  superheroes and the like arrive 400 years early - in the 17th century. And so, I posit it some questions:

• Who would like to be my historical beta reader - that is, who would like to check through historical accuracies and help me with all that sort of stuff?
  • What are some good history books on the era?
  • Should the setting be earlier, e.g. 1600 or be more in the middle/later in the century?
  • Should the characters ever arrive and/or stay in the American colonies?
  • What other areas of the globe should I cover?
I hope you guys can help me out! I'll be much obliged. Smile

Edited by humoresques - 11-Apr-2012 at 22:26
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2012 at 22:19
Welcome Emily. We're always happy to help out fellow historians.Smile If you tell us some of your ideas we'll give some suggestions to ensure your book's historically accurate as a whole forum will provide much better feedback than just one beta reader
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2012 at 22:21
Emily, I cannot access your link. To make it alive, you have to click on the globe-with-bow icon left of the smiley face, post the link inside and click OKSmile.
Welcome to the forum!Smile
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote humoresques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2012 at 22:26
Thanks for letting me know. It was supposed to be my signature, but I can't seem to change it. 
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2012 at 22:41
Post it on the thread for the time being until you get a permission for having it in your signatureSmile
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote humoresques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2012 at 22:42
Well, I have some ideas as to what I'll come up with. My idea started when as I stated above with reading those two books, plus watching the Cartoon Network DC Nation block with my younger brother on Saturday mornings. Anyway, here's what I (sort of?) have come up with so far:
  • I have a character who is a Scottish laird (how cliche!) who happens to lose all his money and his estates. I wasn't sure if it should be because he and his family are suspected "witchbreed" (aka superhuman/meta-human/mutants/etc) or because they're Jacobites, or both. Part of me wants them to lose it early so they can go to the colonies and be awesome, but a part of me wants it to be alter and have them Jacobeans and traverse across Europe! What is a writer to do...
  • Also, what is a better choice for a superhero who gained his/her powers through experimentation: being an alchemist or a natural philosopher? 
  • I'm also planning on putting characters in that have otherworldly connections, i.e. being related to mythical beings. There is one heroine in particular in comics canon that is an Amazon, but would Amazons work in this setting? I was thinking of having a character like her being more in line with the Tuatha De Danann.
  • Also, how would one with really, really obvious powers live in such a time, and still have a normal life without being a hermit?

I know, a lot of questions! But hopefully you can help me sort them all out. :)

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2012 at 11:59
Witchcraft wasn't such a severe crime in the late 17th century as Ady's book A Candle in the Dark had largely discredited it as fraudulent. A wealthy family of Scottish lairds had the money and influence to defend themselves from such accusations. On the other hand, Jacobitism was a much more serious offence (especially after the 1689 and 1715 rebellions). Perhaps your character refused to swear allegiance to William III in 1692 and was forced to flee into exile to avoid execution for treason?

Edited by Nick1986 - 12-Apr-2012 at 12:01
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2012 at 19:03
Most superhero books are too American-centred. It would be cool if you restored the balance by setting the majority of the story in Europe. I like the idea of a superhero from an alchemist background gaining his powers from experiments and studying forbidden arts (similar to Marlow's Dr Faustus). In time, he might see it as a curse as he struggles to retain his humanity
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2012 at 20:45
Here's the definitive book on Jacobean perceptions of witches: James VI's Demonology. The late king was convinced sorcerers were conspiring to kill him:
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=dolLpc8UCvAC&lpg=PA53&dq=daemonologie&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q&f=false
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2012 at 21:12
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2012 at 19:53
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2012 at 19:10
How would one with really, really obvious powers live in such a time, and still have a normal life without being a hermit?

There are many options here: if your character was very rich and powerful nobody would dare persecute him. He might have the king's protection: as an entertainer, adviser, or bodyguard. One of your mutants might be a general, explorer or spy, using his powers to serve King William and gaining fame for his bravery.

For lower-status mutants, the obvious option would be to mingle with other outcasts: Gypsies, Jews, criminals and beggars. They might perform at fairs as part of a travelling show, live in the most dangerous parts of London (known as "rookeries"), or turn to crime to survive: a particularly strong or cunning mutant would be a valuable addition to any pirate crew
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2012 at 19:26
Originally posted by humoresques

Well, I have some ideas as to what I'll come up with. My idea started when as I stated above with reading those two books, plus watching the Cartoon Network DC Nation block with my younger brother on Saturday mornings. Anyway, here's what I (sort of?) have come up with so far:
  • I have a character who is a Scottish laird (how cliche!) who happens to lose all his money and his estates. I wasn't sure if it should be because he and his family are suspected "witchbreed" (aka superhuman/meta-human/mutants/etc) or because they're Jacobites, or both. Part of me wants them to lose it early so they can go to the colonies and be awesome, but a part of me wants it to be alter and have them Jacobeans and traverse across Europe! What is a writer to do...
  • Also, what is a better choice for a superhero who gained his/her powers through experimentation: being an alchemist or a natural philosopher? 
  • I'm also planning on putting characters in that have otherworldly connections, i.e. being related to mythical beings. There is one heroine in particular in comics canon that is an Amazon, but would Amazons work in this setting? I was thinking of having a character like her being more in line with the Tuatha De Danann.
  • Also, how would one with really, really obvious powers live in such a time, and still have a normal life without being a hermit?

I know, a lot of questions! But hopefully you can help me sort them all out. :)

How goes the book Emily? I'm not sure where Amazons would fit in this setting, unless they lived in a very remote part of Europe/Asia
 Post Reply Post Reply