Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greatest Persian Monument of Poetry

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which one:
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [75.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [25.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greatest Persian Monument of Poetry
    Posted: 02-Apr-2012 at 16:18
Shahnameh is certainly the greatest monument of poetry in the real Persian language but by considering a large number of Arabic words which are still used in the modern Persian language, Divan of Hafiz can be said to be the only Persian book which can be found in almost all Iranian houses and everyone enjoys reading it.

However if you ask an Iranian to recite from memory a Persian poem, in all probability this poem will be from Bustan of S'adi, because from the childhood we have learnt to read his poems in the schools and other places, but there can't be more musical poems than Rumi's poems, you can read them and dance.

Rubaiyat of Khayyam seems to be the most translated book from Persian and probably that is the most known Persian monument of poetry, Khamsa of Nizami consists of the most famous stories in Persian literature, especially its legendary love stories, it can be said these are the best Persian musical movies.

There are also several other ones, which one do you think is the greatest?
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2012 at 17:29
I'm going with Shahnameh. I've read 3 volumes of it in Russian verse translation when I was a teen, and I have to say that no English translation I've read since can compare to it. I go for majestic phrases and pathos in the expression, and Shahnameh is heavy with those - which is not evident in the prose English translations I have and found on the net. I only regret that I can't read it in original.
The Rubayat is charming, and I I'm posting it daily on the Short Poems thread, but it cannot compare with Shahnameh - the latter is heady wine, ocean and an universe, not only a book.
I have to admit that I haven't read the other options, but I can make an effort to find them on the net and possibly post what I find on the poetry threads.
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2012 at 18:36
Rubaiyat of Khayyam.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Post Reply Post Reply