Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Generals of the Roman Empire

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Salah ad-Din View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Salah ad-Din Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Generals of the Roman Empire
    Posted: 08-Mar-2012 at 21:45
Leading men in battle was one of the most hallowed and honorable professions in ancient Rome - Romulus himself, if he existed, would have been the rougish war-chief of a Bronze Age warband. In the days of the Roman Republic, generals were indeed the most illustrious, influential, and potentially dangerous citizens of the rising empire. From Fabius Maximus and Scipio Africanus, to Sulla, Pompey, and Caesar, some of the greatest Romans in history were generals, or built their political careers on the foundation of an extensive military career.

A leader of soldiers under the Principate established by Augustus, however, found himself on a shorter leash. Under the Republic, victorious generals were treated to the triumphalia-a decadent parade in his honor; triumphal honors were (rarely) conferred on Imperial generals, but never included such glamorous displays of his success. Only the emperor was to be glamorized with a parade.

In ancient Italy, victorious soldiers would hail a particularly accomplished leader as "imperator". From Augustus onwards, this title was the reserve of emperors, and for soldiers to call their general this was paramount to treason. The career of many an imperial usurper began with his admiring legionaries declaring him "imperator", with their hero subsequently making his claim less out of ambition and more out of resignment to what fate had thrust upon him-or out of fear of the slanderous observations of informers in the ranks.

The emperor, too, played a dangerous game when he gave any man command over a legionary army. Give him too small an army and he may not achieve his objective, give him too large an army and his ego may dangerously expand with it. A quick glance at the careers of many a usurper in the 3rd Century reveals the danger of placing a talented man in command of an army.

Imperial generals were often provincial governors, and therefore typically had one or two legions and a similar number of auxiliary units at hand. Legionary legates could also command forces not limited to the ranks of their legion. Senior centurions sometimes took up command of an army that was in dire straights due to the death or incompetence of its general. Some generals, particularly in the later Empire, were allied kings and barbarian warlords. We must also not forgetpolitical appointees and members of the imperial family, given their power based on connections or perceived loyalty rather than merit or experience. Clearly, the potential quality of Roman generals varied immensely.

Though it was relatively rare before the 3rd Century, the emperor himself also took the role of general upon himself, especially for wars of conquest (Trajan in Dacia) or against particularly rapacious foes (Marcus Aurelius against the Germanic tribes). Maximinus Thrax (235-238 CE) seems to have been the first emperor to fight in battle personally, though Cassius Dio claimed that Trajan sometimes fought personally in Dacia. Many generals certainly went out in a blaze of glory. Varus in Germania (9 CE), Cornelius Fuscus at Tapae (86 CE), and Furius Victorinus at Aquilea (168 CE) all perished with their armies; Victorinus died leading an assault.

A look at the Bar Kochva Revolt of Hadrian's reign reveals that in times of peace quality generals were hard to come by. Hadrian called S. Julius Severus, then serving as governor in Britain, all the way to Judea to surpress Jewish rebels. Apparently Hadrian felt there was no one closer to the problem area who was up to the task! This was the embarrassing price of the Pax Romana, it would seem.

In his generals, the Roman emperor had to balance talent with loyalty. It was a balance few emperors maintained past the reign of Septimius Severus, at the cost of thousands of good Roman soldiers.
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2012 at 21:59
Very interesting post, Salah, thank you. Are you planning to follow with bios of some of the greatest Roman generals? /I sure hope soSmile/.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2012 at 19:35
In times of crisis the Roman republic gave generals temporary dictatorial powers. Caesar was murdered because the senators feared he wanted to become king
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
okamido View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended, tit for tat

Quote okamido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2012 at 20:02
He most definately wanted it and they knew it. The final nail in his coffin was the knowledge that a member of his faction was going to introduce legislation that would allow him to marry a non-Roman citizen, thus allowing for the acceptance of his progeny. A clear attempt to acknowledge Ptolemy XV Philopator Philometor Caesar as his heir, and a clear violation of Roman law.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2012 at 19:22
No doubt Brutus resented losing his inheritance to Caesar's son and nephew. Greed can make even the most virtuous man do terrible things
RomeTotalWar View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote RomeTotalWar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2012 at 06:57
Hi I am new to this brilliant new found website and finding out that it is a site on history I decided I would share a video I made on Youtube. The video is about a spartan ambush, here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW_Oe1jMTP0.

The video I made is off a game called Rome Total War, but it  is a mod called Roma Serrectum, 

Anyway, we are off a website called TotalWarCenter, link deleted We focus on a game company called CA, creative assembly. They have created games from different periods of history, for example they have made Rome Total War, which is set in the early Roman empire, around about 270 BC – AD 14, Also they have done the medieval era 1080-1530 and they did an expanison pack where they added the war in of Britain and Ireland in the 13th century, aztecs era, thrid and fourth crusade, and the Teutonic campaign. Next they did Empire Total War which was set in the 1800, Then the Napoleon era, and march this year they brought out Shogun 2 Total war, which is based in the 16th century of Japan also the rise and fall of the samurai. 

At the TotalwarCenter we have created tons of mods for each game and new ideas are made nearly everyday. Some of the mods are Lord if the Rings, WW1, fall of the Roman empire, also some of the historical mods are so accurate its crazy!!!!.

These games allow you to do historical or custom battles where you can control around 80,000 units in a battlefield. Also there is a campaign section, where you can pick a faction or clan and expand your empire to conquer the world.

Anyway sorry about the post being way off topic!! Tongue but if you are like me who loves history and you have never played these games, you are missing out!!!!!! also if you decide to check it out but you have some problems just contact my user name which is RomeTotalWar.

Prior to posting a link you need to obtain permisson from the forum owner-admin. PM Red Clay and seek said. Failure to do this and continued useage without will result in your being treated as a spammer. Which means you will be banned. Comply and we have no problem.

CV

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 30-May-2012 at 08:17
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2012 at 19:15
Rometotalwar, this is a discussion thread, not a place to advertise your game. The only links allowed here are to historical websites, online books and journals. Consider yourself WARNED!
 Post Reply Post Reply