Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My Puppy is Sick - What to Do?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Puppy is Sick - What to Do?
    Posted: 26-Feb-2012 at 01:00
One of my puppies, ChooChoo, the black and white one here

has a tumor keeps growing. She had 2 surgeries and now the whole leg have to be removed. The problem is that this may not stop the tumor from growing, only buy her some time, during which she will have 3 legs. She has a appointment for Tuesday, and I have to decide on one more surgery or just to let her live until she can with 4 legs, because the cutting on the one leg may not be the end of the tumor, because it's growing inward too. She is 8 years old.

Doglovers, advise me what to do....

Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2012 at 03:07
A hard call DQ.

My thoughts upon reflection....She came into this world with four legs...let her go out and into the next world with four.

In the meantime do what you can to ease her pain and suffering as that may occur. She may prove to have a very stout heart and live another ten years.

In the mean time...I will ask the great Master Mason and architect of the heavens to remember her.

Keep your chin up.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Sidney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Sidney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2012 at 12:19
Sad to hear about your dog. Its a hard decision when they are a member of the family.
Dogs do survive with three legs, and adapt very well, but if there is no guarantee that amputation is going to help, do you feel able to put her through it?
Sending you best wishes and thoughts.
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2012 at 13:50
Thank you, guys, for the support.
I got her through her last surgeries, but she is a very active dog and hard to keep down, so she used to tear her stitches even with the "lampshade" oh her head, so I had to be with her all the time. I don't now, I would like to give her a chance....I'm not sure if I'm selfish for that. My previous dog, a beautiful Samoyed, went down with diabetes, and I decided on putting her down rather that having injections twice a day and intravenous feeding - but this was the hardest decision of my life, no kidding. So I'm thinking....and musing.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2012 at 19:05
I hope she gets better Don. Does the vet know if her tumor is benign or malignant?
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2012 at 19:28
It is benign, after the last surgery we send it to a lab to be examined, it just keeps growing. The first 2 times it grew on her shoulder, pointing toward outside; this time it stared growing more under her armpit, and I didn't see that, I was keeping track on her shoulder where it was last time, so I though she was doing better, because on the outside it wasn't much. She doesn't seem to be in pain, but she is moving her leg awkwardly, and even if we don't go a surgery she may not be able to move it all all soon, because the tumor is kinda hugging the upper part of her leg. So so loses anyway. I was thinking to let her go and keep the leg, because there is no guarantee that it will not grow again, that's why I was stalling /I mentioned possible surgery like 6 months ago on your thread about your babies/ but now the way it is growing she may not be able to use the leg anyway.

It just breaks my heart, she is such a lively energetic pup. My other dog is more placid, spends more time inside, during the winter especially - but ChooChoo runs outside all day long, gets in only in late evening, what is she going to do if she can't do that because she cannot move her leg?

Edited by Don Quixote - 26-Feb-2012 at 19:30
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2012 at 21:21
If it doesn't cause her discomfort or interfere with her internal organs, it's best to leave it as it is. However, if she is in pain, the kindest thing to do would be to remove the leg. Even with three legs a dog can live a long, active life
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2012 at 21:28
It causes her discomfort, because she is walking awkwardly and throwing the whole right side around to get over the bog bump under her armpit; but I don't think she is in pain because she doesn't whine, only sometimes when she tries to get up - and she has to turn to her left side to get up. I got worried now when I discovered couple of days ago that she has this big thick bump under her armpit, otherwise I was stalling.

Edited by Don Quixote - 26-Feb-2012 at 21:29
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2012 at 18:35
The doc said that he can do another debulking - to cut as much of as he can, so her leg can function, and this would give her another 2-3 years before it gets too big - and she gets to keep her legSmile!
So, this is what I've decided to do - because cutting the leg off is not a guarantee that it will not grow again, and leaving her like this it will only get worse. Even if she had to have debulking surgeries every 2-3 years, this is better than missing a leg.

Big thanks to everyone who supported me here and helped me get through those worrysome several daysSmile.

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2012 at 19:24
You made the right choiceSmile Let Choochoo know she's in our thoughts and we all wish her a speedy recovery
Sidney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Sidney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2012 at 21:00
Sounds like a good decision. Wishing ChooChoo a speedy recovery from surgery, and that you both have great times to come.
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2012 at 22:28
Thanks, guysSmile.
Now it's very cold here and the snow is deep, so I'll probably wait till April, so she has a warmer weather while recovering. I'll keep you posted when the time comes.
Here she is, I'm showing her your messages here, so she reads your best wishes for herself

She is sending you the "Golden Eye" as an expression for her gratitude

Edited by Don Quixote - 28-Feb-2012 at 23:14
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2012 at 01:29
My ChooChoo is getting her surgery this Friday, April 13, and is going to spend the day and the night at the vet's; we are going to get her on Saturday. I hope it will be OK with her.
Sidney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Sidney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2012 at 04:23
Hope all is well.
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2012 at 13:16
Thanks, SidSmile
The surgery went well, we got her out just now, but the cut is very long, like 10 inches/25centimeters , she has 2 drain tubes, and leaking badly, so I covered the floor in the room with plastic,  blankets, sheets, etc, so she can stretch on her good side; and the cone on her head doesn't help to make her feel more comfortable, but I'm afraid she'll pull the tubes out if her head is free. The vet said that the growth was growing everywhere, between muscles, and it was very hard to separate it and take it out, so every following surgery would be worse than the previous one. 

Edited by Don Quixote - 14-Apr-2012 at 13:22
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2012 at 15:37
My Choo-Choo got her tubes removed today, and she is doing far better, but she scratches her skin that has been shaved /which is about 1/4 of her/, making it raw, even bleeding. Any ideas how I can prevent that? I tried to tie socks of her back feet, but she is ripping them off, tried wrapping yarn on her feet so they are soft, but she is pulling it off...so nothing works.
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2012 at 15:54
Well if it was mange or a fence scratch...turpentine and or fresh motor oil will, when applied, and when they try to scratch will stop that crap... cuz they lick it and don't like the taste.

However, in this case... calamine lotion works fer humans it will work fer hounds...and if she tries to lick it slap her gently on the noze...as hard as that might be. Or a petroleum jelly to reduce the irritation as it will just make her crap if she licks it. so no harm. and keep wrapping her feet.

but what ever ya do...dont break weak.....make her obey.Wink

S. T. Friedman

Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2012 at 15:58
Thanks for the ideas, CentrixSmile.
When she is with me I don't let her do it, but I cannot spend all my time just staring at her.
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2012 at 16:07
Remember your Pavlov.

S. T. Friedman

Michael Collins View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian
Historum joker, suspended

Quote Michael Collins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2012 at 16:21

My Dog of 10 years has a large tumor as well, so I'm in much the same situation. His mother had the same thing, and died on the operating table, so I don't think we'll be opting for that option. It's just a case of how long the poor fella lasts. 

Is í labhairt a dteanga an moladh is mó is féidir linn a thabhairt dár namhaid.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>