Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

' Heavenly manna ' = sprouted grain? Help me - I w

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ' Heavenly manna ' = sprouted grain? Help me - I w
    Posted: 20-Apr-2012 at 01:09
That's interesting, I didn't know that, thanks.Smile
Hos does the lichen taste? - because manna was supposed to taste like honey cake, and to get with worms if staying overnight.

Edited by Don Quixote - 20-Apr-2012 at 01:15
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2012 at 14:33
Lichen does not comes from heaven.Big sea storms sometimes create rains of fish on dry land but...Real point is that it was God's help!Heaven is pointed even in name MaNNa(PaMaNNa has to be in original!?!).
Don can check it.She knows Ancient Greek.Smile
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2012 at 21:33
Originally posted by Don Quixote

That's interesting, I didn't know that, thanks.Smile
Hos does the lichen taste? - because manna was supposed to taste like honey cake, and to get with worms if staying overnight.

Apparently it tastes bitter, but to starving refugees it would be the sweetest thing they tasted for weeks
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2012 at 01:00
About mutualism in lichen:

Every lichen species is part fungus. Usually the other  species is a photosynthesizing alga, but sometimes it can be a photosynthesizing bacterium known as a cyanobacterium. Sometimes all three kinds of organisms are found in one lichen. The above drawing gives an idea of what fungal hyphae wrapping around alga cells might look like at the microscopic level.

Is it good for food:some are poisons also!

http://www.unomaha.edu/lichens/Bio%204350%20PDF/Uses%20of%20Lichens.pdf

Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2012 at 15:41
With what the lichen hypothesis is better fitting to the biblical description than the tamarick juice one?
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2012 at 16:04
Well it might be either and or....evidence appears solid for both.

I ate many a bug whole but never took the time to wait for secretions...had other problems....so I'm no help there...lichens and fungus is ok... ate them and ferns-weeds-cactus by the pounds....fills ya up. Gives a bit of indegestion and the crappers fer a few hours but overall not bad. 

But as Nick notes: ''but to starving refugees it would be the sweetest thing they tasted for weeks''

Same applys for RANGERS in training and LRRP's and dismounted Cav types on recon.

I am starting to tear up just remembering.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2012 at 19:44
The bible allows the consumption of certain types of bug: grasshoppers, crickets and locusts. When fried they apparently taste similar to prawns
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2014 at 18:20
I would consider that mushrooms were the manna!

They do appear "overnight!"

Ron
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123