Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Towers & Coloums in Your City

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towers & Coloums in Your City
    Posted: 23-Dec-2011 at 00:10
Note:The topic can expand too much, that why I am not adding clock towers in it .

Towers & Coloums in Istanbul
Galata Tower-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galata_Tower

Maiden's Tower-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C4%B1z_Kulesi

Beyazıt Tower-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beyaz%C4%B1t_Tower

Column of Marcian-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Column_of_Marcian

Column of the Goths-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Column_of_the_Goths

Column of Constantine-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Column_of_Constantine

Edited by Ollios - 23-Dec-2011 at 00:16
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2011 at 19:27

We've got a lot of war memorials built to resemble columns. However, one of our oldest monoliths is Cleopatra's Needle in London
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2011 at 22:35
Originally posted by Nick1986

We've got a lot of war memorials built to resemble columns. However, one of our oldest monoliths is Cleopatra's Needle in London

You remind me, obelisks of IstanbulWink

Walled Obelisk-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walled_Obelisk
Obelisk of Theodosius-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obelisk_of_Theodosius

Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2011 at 14:36
Istanbul is known as a Turkish city but some of the greatest Turkish buildings are in my city Tehran, because about one thousand years ago it was the capital of Toghrïl Beg, the founder of Seljuq Empire, and his successors.

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2011 at 19:50
Those Egyptian obelisks certainly got around. Others can be found in France, Poland, Italy and the US
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2011 at 05:51
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Istanbul is known as a Turkish city but some of the greatest Turkish buildings are in my city Tehran, because about one thousand years ago it was the capital of Toghrïl Beg, the founder of Seljuq Empire, and his successors.

Iran is also the civilization which influenced Seljuq and Oghuz culture the most(like Romans and Greeks), so those building could be built under the Turkic rules, but you can find big similarity between them and Persian architecture.
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
mokheve View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote mokheve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2011 at 08:33

georgia

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2011 at 11:10
Mokheve, do you have any information about those towers?  It looks as though there are many more in the valley below, and the hills in the background.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
mokheve View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote mokheve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2011 at 11:59
  it's caucasian architecture. built by mountain people in 12 century. they  used  towers for live and for battle. they also built tombs on the mountains and temples.   

Edited by mokheve - 25-Dec-2011 at 12:01
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2011 at 21:40

I drive past this column on the way home from university. It's a war memorial built in the Classical style
sitalk View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote sitalk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2012 at 05:16
Jinit View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Jinit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2013 at 13:01
I used to pass by this column called Mana stambh (column of Honour), when I was in school. Mana stambha is common feature of Jain temples however they are rearly as impressive as this one.

Huthesingh jain temple with which the column is associated, itself is very impressive temple. It was built in 1850 by the widow of a exremely wealthy merchant of Colonial era. unfortunately photography isn't allowed in the temple. However one can get the idea about the grandiosity of the temple by looking at the entrance only.

TITAN_ View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote TITAN_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2013 at 08:00
File:White Tower of Thessaloniki (2007-06-15).jpg

The White Tower, Thessaloniki, Greece. 
The present tower most likely replaced an older Byzantine tower mentioned by the 12th century archbishop Eustathios during the sack of 1185.

Edited by TITAN_ - 27-Mar-2013 at 08:04
αἰὲν ἀριστεύειν
Een aristevin
“Ever to Excel“
From Homer's Iliad (8th century BC).
Motto of the University of St Andrews (founded 1410), the Edinburgh Academy (founded 1824) and others.
TITAN_ View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote TITAN_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2013 at 08:12

The Seven Towers.
αἰὲν ἀριστεύειν
Een aristevin
“Ever to Excel“
From Homer's Iliad (8th century BC).
Motto of the University of St Andrews (founded 1410), the Edinburgh Academy (founded 1824) and others.
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2013 at 03:24
Jinit, it is amazing

Titan, the White Tower is the only structure which I can image, when I heard the name of Salonika

The Clock Tower of the city where I was born.

Edited by Ollios - 03-Apr-2013 at 05:19
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
 Post Reply Post Reply