Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Monsters in Uniform

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Marlin47 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Marlin47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Monsters in Uniform
    Posted: 02-Feb-2013 at 10:23
Nobody is saying that the Tans were choirboys ( they certainly weren't that ! ), but to compare them to the SS is disgustingly objectionable. Even their most reprehensible behaviour needs to be put into context.
Firstly, only a few years earlier, and when Britain and her allies were almost on their knees fighting the Germans, the Irish took it upon themselves to rebel against Great Britain.  Virtually all of the Tans were British ex servicemen who would not have forgotten that, and nor should they have done !

Secondly, the atrocities committed by the Irish ( even against their own ) were utterly devilish. For example, a British Customs and Excise officer was tortured by the IRA for many hours in order to get him to open his safe. He refused . He was then taken down to the beach, beaten and tortured again and then made to dig his own grave ( a vertical pit ) into which he was thrown and the sand back filled up to his neck.  He was then left to drown when the tide came in.  The following morning his torturers went back to the site, only to find that the tide hadn't come in far enough to drown him. So, what did the IRA do They dug him up, tortured him again, waited for the tide to recede and then made him dig ANOTHER hole ten yards further towards the sea to let the next tide drown him !

At their very worst the Tans never committed anything half as bad as this.  And did the Pope excommunicate these murderers  ?  No he sent two Jesuit priests to ginger them up in their atrocities.
The Inquisitors of Spain could have learned much from those beasts.
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2013 at 13:18
Originally posted by Nick1986

Originally posted by Cryptic

^
Who is this person?

One of the SS men employed as concentration camp guards
All I could find on the man is that he was a German guard (rank SS-Scharführer) of Mauthausen Concentration Camp. I couldn't find a name for him, or a date for the photo.
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2013 at 08:32
Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

Originally posted by Cryptic

^
Who is this person?

One of the SS men employed as concentration camp guards
All I could find on the man is that he was a German guard (rank SS-Scharführer) of Mauthausen Concentration Camp. I couldn't find a name for him, or a date for the photo.

From the pips in his collar, he looks like an NCO. Individual Nazi guards regularly abused prisoners: sometimes because they were acting under orders, but usually because they enjoyed it
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2013 at 09:26
Originally posted by Marlin47

Nobody is saying that the Tans were choirboys ( they certainly weren't that ! ), but to compare them to the SS is disgustingly objectionable. Even their most reprehensible behaviour needs to be put into context.
Firstly, only a few years earlier, and when Britain and her allies were almost on their knees fighting the Germans, the Irish took it upon themselves to rebel against Great Britain.  Virtually all of the Tans were British ex servicemen who would not have forgotten that, and nor should they have done !

Secondly, the atrocities committed by the Irish ( even against their own ) were utterly devilish. For example, a British Customs and Excise officer was tortured by the IRA for many hours in order to get him to open his safe. He refused . He was then taken down to the beach, beaten and tortured again and then made to dig his own grave ( a vertical pit ) into which he was thrown and the sand back filled up to his neck.  He was then left to drown when the tide came in.  The following morning his torturers went back to the site, only to find that the tide hadn't come in far enough to drown him. So, what did the IRA do They dug him up, tortured him again, waited for the tide to recede and then made him dig ANOTHER hole ten yards further towards the sea to let the next tide drown him !

At their very worst the Tans never committed anything half as bad as this.  And did the Pope excommunicate these murderers  ?  No he sent two Jesuit priests to ginger them up in their atrocities.

Marlin, this link might interest you. If Michael Collins sees it, we could have an interesting debate on the subject as you seem to know your stuff
http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=33205
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2013 at 08:24
Originally posted by Marlin47

The IRA and Loyalists during the Troubles were also monsters for deliberately blowing up innocent women and children. Assassinating politicians (ideal target) or killing enemy soldiers in self-defence isn't so bad, but shooting peacekeepers in the back and setting off bombs is cowardly
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2013 at 10:45

From the pips in his collar, he looks like an NCO. Individual Nazi guards regularly abused prisoners: sometimes because they were acting under orders, but usually because they enjoyed it

Yes, Nick, you're right, he's one SS Squad Leader Steffen Bohne, SS Nr 385 453, of Dacau concentration camp. However the picture shown may well have been taken at the Mauthausen concentration camp in Austria.

Edited by TheAlaniDragonRising - 05-Feb-2013 at 11:15
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2013 at 10:55
While on the subject of Dachau, and the SS, here is a little something found there. Looks like something almost appropriate for the head hunters thread. 

Jacques Rancy with a Shrunken Head that was found in one of the houses used by an SS-Doctor. These were foremost handed out during the period of Camp Commandant Koch, most likely prepared by a dermatologist from murdered inmates and handed out as presents within the SS fraternity in the camp.(This shrunken head was identified as one of a Russian POW) PS.: There is some controversy as to the actual identity of the shrunken head.
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2013 at 11:22
deleted

Edited by Menumorut - 05-Feb-2013 at 11:53

Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2013 at 11:30
deleted

Edited by Menumorut - 05-Feb-2013 at 11:54

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2013 at 15:35
Menumorot, why did you delete those posts? It's unconventional, but I don't see why we can't discuss Allied war crimes, even if they were committed by a tiny minority
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2013 at 20:03
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456