Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Total War Series

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: What is your favorite one?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [11.76%]
9 [26.47%]
20 [58.82%]
1 [2.94%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Bishop View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Total War Series
    Posted: 29-Aug-2005 at 17:04
I played all three Shogun was the best game in it's day. MTW was the best one in it's day. And now Rome is the best one in it's day.

Rome is by far 10 times better than the other two. The castle fighting in Shogun and MTW was lame as hell. I actually look forward to the sieges in RTW. They are really cool, there are allot of good game dynamics happening.

The 3d strategy map gives the game allot of depth of play. You almost never fight on  the same map.

The biggest problem I have with Rome is the AI is just to dumb. And playing online sucks without the strategy map aspect.

I am currently playing the Gauls on the hardest settings in 6.0. I havent won yet but it looks like another easy victory.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2005 at 22:38
I think Rome made several improvements over MTW that's worth mentioning, including sieges, dimplomacy, and graphics. One of the most annoying aspects of MTW was the clumbsiness of the strategic map. You can move an army across the whole of north africa in a turn, or move from england to egypt in a single move through ships. It was also annoying that if you killed the enemy army down to one or two men, it would retreat back to the castle and you'd have to spend another 100 breaking through the castle door.

However, I really feel that RTW was too complex for the AI to take advantage of. When it comes to elements such as phalanx and cavalry coordination, the AI utterly falls apart because it's too complex. So Rome had a lot of potential that could not be utilized. But still, I think it's beter than its predecessors.

The campaign that was the most interesting to me was the Vikings campiagn in VI. It had the best balance of length and action, and did not have many annoying sieges.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2005 at 16:19

Originally posted by Imperator Invictus

I think Rome made several improvements over MTW that's worth mentioning, including sieges, dimplomacy, and graphics. One of the most annoying aspects of MTW was the clumbsiness of the strategic map. You can move an army across the whole of north africa in a turn, or move from england to egypt in a single move through ships. It was also annoying that if you killed the enemy army down to one or two men, it would retreat back to the castle and you'd have to spend another 100 breaking through the castle door.

of course real sieges were non-existant in previous titles, and the difference in graphic is of course significant, but diplomacy hasn't really fundamentaly improved, you can exchange maps etc, and you can move through allied provinces, but your allies can still betray you in every way and get no diplomatic disatvanatge or similar for it. and the new free roam startegic map is actually inferior to the old ones. of course in theory you can move an army from England to Egypt in one turn but one turn equals one year int eh game so its fair, plus, the AI usually moves their single ship from one sea province to another thus never allow an unbroken chain of ships to move for such a logn distance. Byzantiens did that in my game as England pretty sucessfully but my navy was way larger and eventually destroying the raiders. another MAJOR setback is the chocie in case of siege. when an enemy army invaded your provicne you had three choices. abandon province, return to castle or fight. in RTW, when an enemy army invades your province and lays siege on your army int he capital, you ahve 2 choices, fight and lose or auto-resovle and lose. stationing garrisons or armes outside the city is impossible, because of current "rebellions", while in MTW it didn't made a diference if the units were inside the castle or not to keep the population from rebelling. the other major flaw is the turnbased nature of the strategical map, you can only react to enemy movement when the enemy army has already made considderable progress, this system of army movement would only make sense if the movement of the armeis would be simultaneous. at the moment you cannot really blok enemy movements, nor you can effectively chase enemy armies because in most cases they leave your range of sight in one turn and the whole army can easily dissapear in a nearby forrest due to the equally dumb ambush function.

The Canadian Guy View Drop Down
General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2005 at 11:16
Originally posted by intem

should have add shogun total war: warlord edition coz i liked to rape the japanese with mongolian forces along with the chinese and the koreans.
How about the expansions are included in this poll also.

Edited by General Pompeius Magnus
Hate and anger is the fuel of war, while religion and politics is the foundation of it.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2005 at 08:32
in RTW, when an enemy army invades your province and lays siege on your army int he capital, you ahve 2 choices, fight and lose or auto-resovle and lose. stationing garrisons or armes outside the city is impossible, because of current "rebellions"

Eh?

The AI rarely attempts to take the town early on the first turn, they will siege for 2-3 before trying, so you have that much time to move an army from elsewhere and pull a sandwich manouvre on them.
Fighting manualy is always best, all you really have to do is destroy their ram/ladders, and the battle is as good as won. Always have a missile unit defending each settlement, preferably arches with flamming arrows capability.

Additionaly, you can station garrisons outside of cities, in fortresses or waiting in ambush in forests, rebels only turn up every so many turns and you can ignore them untill you are ready most of the time.
Arrrgh!!"
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2005 at 18:50

the point is, you cannot simply abandon a city once you have an army inside and don't want to fight it out like you could in previous TW games. also, wooden walls (especially the 2nd upgrade) do more to prevent your own ranged troops to hit enemies approaching your wall than protecting your own troops behind the wall...

and rebels are a serious problem when you want to control super big provinces like those of Scythia, you simply don't see them appearing and you have no idea why suddenly your funds go down (as they block roads). this is also a problem when transfering troops to the front, i always run with a single unit into a group of 2 or 3 rebel units and didn't had enough movement points to retreat...in STW and MTW at least you could return your army when you have placed them on a hostile province and haven't finished the round yet. but in RTW you can't undo your movement. and don't tell me to build those watchtowers, they are superexpensive and you don't know what area they cover untill you've constructed them, and soemtimes a single mountain can reduce the LoS by several degrees, making the tower virtually useless. plus, unlike old TW titles they do nothign to preevnt enemy spies, assassins etc to infiltrate your country. also, one tower was enough to cover ALL province borders, i don't have to tell you how many towers i would need to cover all of Scythia...plus, the tower does nothign to spot enemy armies in ambush positions, even when you saw them moving in. this happened one time but i thought they moved one as i couldn't see them anymore so i simply passed by just to be ambushed by an army that i actually saw hiding a round before!! I mean WTF, i don't even know whats going on in my own province...

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2005 at 03:39
Ah, yeah, but abandoning cities is different in RTW, you can withdraw your troops and wait ages for it to revert to rebel rule (making the old capture, sack, and sell all the buildings trick less viable, not a bad thing IMHO).

Watch towers have been fixed with the last patch btw. And yeah, i prefer it this way, i mean, one tower for the whole province? Come on.
Frankly the game is more realistic this way, makes it more of a challenge, but thats just me.
Arrrgh!!"
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2005 at 15:59
Ok, i don't have the patch, and of course i agree its more realistic but also a little bit annoying, you have to march your unit to the place yo want to construct the thing, thats a little uncomfortable and frankly, I'm not willing to build more than one tower per province at that high price....I'm basically just complaining that scouting and coutner-espionage became less effective but much more expensive...
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2005 at 09:09

Originally posted by General Pompeius Magnus

I think RTW is the best of the Total War series. Very kool campaign map. I like when your armies are walking, and your fleets floting in the water. I also like the automanage button for your battles and for your settlements. Very good game.

its amazign how accurate everything is. from the familys to the locatons to the shields and teh make-up. and the units...its awsome

The Canadian Guy View Drop Down
General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2005 at 10:40
Welcome Iceman11756 to this glorious forum.
Hate and anger is the fuel of war, while religion and politics is the foundation of it.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2005 at 08:55
Automanage is very bad, you are always better off doing it manualy as you will for sure lose less troops in a victory that way, and take more enemy troops with you when you lose.

I've done automanage for battles when i had clearly the larger and better army, and still lost archers and slingers when if i had done it manualy i wouldn't have lose any.
The only good thing about the auto manage is that if you have an army of just basic infantry, then for some reason they seem to gain experience points quicker (i guess the AI uses them more recklessly than i do).
Anything else though is bad, especialy if you want to make those mercenary Cretan archers last as long as possible.
Arrrgh!!"
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2005 at 18:45
Just out of curiosity as I sometimes get the chance to play this game, could someone please list the patches which are available and what they do? The only one I have downloaded so far was Age of Hellas beta. Cheers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12