Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Red Jews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Red Jews
    Posted: 17-Aug-2011 at 11:01
Medieval Europeans believed a race known as the "Red Jews" would come from the east and destroy Christendom. This group, believed to be the Khazars, were supposedly prevented from entering Europe by a great wall built at Gorgan, Iran, by Alexander the Great.
Why were these Jews "red" and what is the historical truth behind this myth?

Edited by Nick1986 - 17-Aug-2011 at 11:05
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2011 at 15:42
An interesting fable woven around elements of real historical characters events and theology.

Imo, it's a medieval example of anti-semitism. Whereby Christians predominately, in medieval Germany and elsewhere, attempt a nexus between biblical prophecy and legend; which includes the Gog-Magog warnings in scripture, coupled to the 'lost tribes' event which has merit in actual events.

Throw in Prester John and the alleged travels of the fictitious Sir John Mandiville...and you pretty much figure it out. The same line or very similar promulgation, eventually by the 16th iirc, conveys a similar message of bigotry directed towards the Turks of the Ottoman Empire in their attempted expansions into western Europe.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2011 at 20:05
Perhaps Cyrus can tell us about this wall that supposedly existed in Iran. Did the ancient persians ever encounter such a race?
unclefred View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended, Historum joker

Quote unclefred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2011 at 21:48
The Khazars adopted Judaism in the eighth century A.D. , or at least the ruling class did, due to the edict of the Khagan Bulan. Allied with Byzantium, they are very much credited with stopping the Islamics from moving into the Caucasus and Eastern Europe. Khazaria was the first Feudal state in Eastern Europe.
Most theorize a sixth century origin for the Khazars. From Wiki:

Early Khazar history is intimately tied with that of the Göktürk Empire, founded when the Ashina clan overthrew the Juan Juan in 552 CE. It is known that in 515-516 Hunnic-Savirs attacked Armenia. The widow of the Hunnic-Savir prince Bolakh Boariks concluded a peace with Byzantine in 527. In 529, Prince Khosrau I of the Persian Empire fought the social movement led by the Zoroastrian priest Mazdak. Numerous Jewish families who supported the movement had to flee the country north of Caucasus Mountains. In 552, a western-Turkic khaganate is mentioned led by khagan Tumyn (or Tumen) out of the Ashina clan. There are some speculations that the Western portion of the Göktürk Empire in the West became known as Avars.[20] During that time, there is mention of Savirs' and Khazars' attacks on Caucasus Albania.

As for the 'Red Jew' question, it referred to the 10 lost tribes of Israel, in medieval writings. The Frisians and Angles had a tradition that th tribes were in Scythia for a period and so descended from them. Also:

" In the light of this we should consider the following notes taken from Andrew Colin Gow, 'The Red Jews: anti-Semitism in an Apocalyptic Age' 1200-1600 (NY 1995. published by E.J.. Brill:
Josephus (Jewish Wars vii;7;4) says that Alexander the Great used iron gates to close up mountain passes so that the Scythians would not break into the civilized world. Elsewhere (Antiquities 1;b;i) Josephus identifies the Scyths with Magog. From the 1100s CE Gog and Magog were identified as the Lost Ten Tribes. This was based on old traditions: Already in the 300s CE the Latin Tiburtine Sibyl spoke of the anti-Christ being from the Tribe of Dan and of Alexander, the Indian King who shut up Gog and Magog in the far north. Peter Comestor (ca. 1165) identified the Lost Ten Tribes with Gog and Magog whom Alexander had locked up behind iron gates in the mountains. The whole area of Scythia even Georgia in the Caucasus in Medieval writings could be referred to as India. The area of the Ten Tribes was referred to as Caspia. The Ten Tribes were called Red Jews and were described as all having Red Hair. Red Hair in the Middle Ages especially in Germany was considered a negative characteristic and associated with the Jews and with Judas. The Anti-Christ and Judas were depicted as both having red hair and as both coming from the Tribe of Dan. The Jews also believed that Lost Ten Tribes to be in Scythia, in the region by the Caspian Sea. This belief was widespread and lasted up to ca 1600 CE. Gow quotes David Kaufman (1892): The legend of the Ten Tribes as future deliverers of Israel was a faith that was slumbering in the popular Jewish consciousness all through the Middle Ages (JQR, iv, 503-508)." -britam.org

Edited by unclefred - 17-Aug-2011 at 22:00
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2011 at 21:54
Noted and convincing to a degree Unkie...but the mythology, for that's what it remains for me at this point, would then require a  nexus of the 'lost tribes' turning into Khazars, among others, something I am not yet comfortable with. Not because of the possibility but because of empirical evidence.

S. T. Friedman

unclefred View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote unclefred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2011 at 22:04
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

Noted and convincing to a degree Unkie...but the mythology, for that's what it remains for me at this point, would then require a  nexus of the 'lost tribes' turning into Khazars, among others, something I am not yet comfortable with. Not because of the possibility but because of empirical evidence.
I agree, the mythic 10 tribes and the Gog and Magog prophecy somehow was tangled up with the Khazars, I believe. In fact, it's only been in recent years that the theory of most Jews in Eastern Europe and Western, being descended from the Khazars rather than the Jews of Palestine has been discounted.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2011 at 10:16
Originally posted by Nick1986

Perhaps Cyrus can tell us about this wall that supposedly existed in Iran. Did the ancient persians ever encounter such a race?

The GWG was built during the Parthian Empire (248 BC - 224) to protect Iran from the invasions of the various external adversaries. Some researchers believe that the GWG was constructed to prevent attacks by the Hephthalites (in Persian: Heptaalian) from northern regions of the country. (The Hephthalites were a people of obscure possibly from the Indo-European origin who at certain periods played an important role in the history of Persian Empire and ancient India. They were also called as Ephthalites by the Greeks and as Hunas by the Indians. According to Chinese chronicles they were originally a tribe living to the north of the GWC and were known as Hoa or Hoa-tun. Elsewhere they were called White Huns or Sveta Hunas. There is, however, no definite evidence that they were related to the Huns, the early confederation of Central Asian equestrian nomads).

The Great Wall of Gorgan was restored during the Sassanid Empire (224 - 651). Its construction is about three decades earlier than the GWC, and it is second only to that edifice as the largest defensive wall in existence.

The GWG is an ancient defensive bulwark located in the Plain of Gorgan (in Persian: Dasht-e-Gorgan) in Gollestaan Province, which is in the north-eastern of Iran, south of the Caspian Sea. The Wall, which is one of the most outstanding and gigantic architectural monuments in Dasht-e-Gorgan starts from the Caspian coast, circles north of Gonbad-e-Kaavous, continues towards northwest and vanishes behind Pishkamar Mountains (in Persian: Koohsaar-e-Pishkamar).  In total it is 195 kilometers long.

Source- Persian Mirror

Edited by red clay - 18-Aug-2011 at 10:22
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
unclefred View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote unclefred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2011 at 15:58
Turkish sources note that many Khazars had RED hair and blue eyes.

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2011 at 19:21
If the Khazars defended Europe from the Turks why were they later demonised?
unclefred View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote unclefred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2011 at 11:29
Perhaps because they were Jews. And after they became very powerful, their Ally  Byzantium betrayed them and supported the Rus against them. I suppose there was a propaganda campaign along with that.
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2011 at 11:29
This is just speculation, but some of what I've read here reminded me of one or two things. As with the Mongol origin story, there is a possibility of the red being Alani in origin. It was know for them to have red headed people as well as blond, as well as either blue or green eyes. There is also supposed to be a connection between the Alani and this Magog thing too. As for mountains being blocked there is history there with the Gate of the Alans, known as the Darial gorge. Like I said just some speculation, though at one time there was a mass conversion to the Jewish faith too.
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2011 at 03:53
I came upon this:
"...An Examination of Jewish Tribes from the Eastern Caucasus by Kevin Alan Brook

The question of whether the Mountain Jews of Daghestan (in the north Caucasus) and Azerbaijan descend from the Khazar Jews, who were Turks, has been investigated by many authors, but the evidence is inconclusive one way or another. However, it is clear that Jews lived in the Caucasus since ancient times, having come there from places like Persia. This raises doubts about the possibility that Mountain Jews are entirely or predominantly Khazarian, even though they may have had friendly relations with the Khazars. The customs, clothing, religious practices, physical anatomy, superstitions, and language of the Mountain Jews, as demonstrated in a great exhibition at the Jewish Museum in New York City, have little in common with Turkic peoples or with Judaized Khazars in particular, but have a lot to do with the northern Middle East. Their language is Juwri (Juhuri), of Old Persian origin, related to the Persian spoken by Jews in Tajikistan and Uzbekistan, and also containing many Turkic and Semitic elements. The Mountain Jews may have intermarried with the Ossetian (Alan), Kumukh (Kumyk), Azeri, and Lezgin peoples since some of them physically resemble other Caucasian and Iranian tribes. They also were great warriors like their neighbors. But also there are some (around 4 percent?) Mountain Jews who have red hair rather than black hair. Emil G. Hirsch's article "Hair" in the Jewish Encyclopedia (1901-1906) declares: "On the other hand, in Caucasia, where the natives are dark, the Jews show 96 per cent of dark hair. The proportion of red hair is also quite high, reaching 4 per cent in some observations." Is red hair possibly a heritage of the Khazars? An argument can be made that a minority (though not a majority) of Mountain Jews descend from the Khazars, and further investigations should be undertaken...."http://www.khazaria.com/mountainjews.html

The red hair doesn't add up with the Khazars, who were supposed to be Turkic people, because Turkic people don't have read hair, they are dark-haired. On the other hand, if, like this source   http://britam.org/khazars.html#History  asserts, the Khazars are one of the lost Israelite tribes, the red hair doesn't add up either, since the Jews don't usually have red hair.

This one http://www.britam.org/KhazarChapters.html says that the Khazars emerged form the Scythians, who were known for being red-haired; Thracians were described with red hair too. Therefore it seems to me that the Khazars weren't Turkic, or Jewish, but Scytians/Sarmatians. The Alani were from the same groups, if I'm not mistaken. There was much interaction between the Thracians and the Scythian/Alani that lived on the other side of the Black Sea; there is even a period in the Thracian art that is called "Scythian period".

Edited by Don Quixote - 25-Aug-2011 at 04:01
unclefred View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote unclefred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2011 at 12:58
"   The Arab chronicler Ibn-Said al-Maghribi writes, "they are to the north of the inhabited earth towards the 7th clime, having over their heads the constellation of the Plough. Their land is cold and wet. Accordingly their complexions are white, their eyes blue, their hair flowing and predominantly reddish, their bodies large and their natures cold. Their general aspect is wild." 14

The ninth-century monk Druthmar of Aquitaine, in his commentary on Matthew 24:14 in Expositio in Matthaeum Evangelistam, stated that the Gazari, or Khazars, dwelt "in the lands of Gog and Magog." 15

Legends and stories abound, some of which are true according to the above quoted Aquitaine monk, that center around Alexander the Great and his attempt to enclose the Khazars and quarantine them, due to their violent and barbaric nature, from the rest of the civilized world. This endeavor apparently failed, Druthmar claimed, and they escaped. Some legends even claim they were cannibals. 16

After the kingdom's conversion to Judaism, the term "Red Jews" came into usage out of the superstition of medieval Germans, who equated their red hair and beards and their violent nature with deceit and dishonesty. It is also well documented that they heavily taxed those passing through their lands, for none dared refuse them. 17"

Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2011 at 17:02
Thanks to the link, unclefred, I will read it. I found this one http://cambridge.academia.edu/GeraldMako/Papers/646644/The_Possible_Reasons_for_the_Arab-Khazar_Wars  .There is a  description of the Khazars there, according to Pseudo-Calistenes in the "Syrian Legend of Alexander the Great", and they are bagged under the umbrella name "Huns". Anyway, the legend says that Alexander locked them, being savages, with the help of god, beyond the Caucasus. Honestly, I have no memory of Alexander even encountering Khazars, but he had a Scythian campaign, so I guess this is what is meant by Pseudo-Calistenes; I have to check in my sources on Alexander about that. Anyway, if we are talking about Khazars in Alexanders' time, then they were really Scythians, not Turkic people. The fisrt mentioning of Turkic people in Central Asia was, AFAIK, in 6 century AD; what Alexander encountered was people from/around the Caucasus.

Btw, this herehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khazar_language says that:
"...The consensus among scholars had long been and still is that the Khazars spoke an Oghuric Turkic language similar to Chuvash, Hunnish, Turkic Avar and Bulgar, possibly influenced by Old Turkic and Uyghur influences, as was stated by Al-Istakhri "the language of Bulgars resembles the language of Khazars".[1]..."
and right now there is research in Bulgaria who tend to claim that the old Bulgar language was Indo-European, or at least severely influenced by an Indo-Europea/Iranian languages not Turkic. Not much is left from both Khazar and Bulgar to make a good estimation of it, so I would look in all directions, and not consider the case closed. Bulgarian DNA research shows Iranian genetic connection, not Turkic, if the Kharazs were in any way close to the Bulgars, I'd look for an Iranian connection there too. The Scythians had Iranian connection, some even consider then Iranian people per se  http://www.cais-soas.com/CAIS/Anthropology/Scythian/scythians.htm
Anyway, this is a cool topic to research, I'll follow on it.

Edited by Don Quixote - 25-Aug-2011 at 17:20
unclefred View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote unclefred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2011 at 18:35
Thanks Don, I'll be studying too.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2011 at 19:31
So the Khazars were Turks? What were their beliefs before they became Jews and what motivated them to convert?
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2011 at 20:05

So the Khazars were Turks? What were their beliefs before they became Jews and what motivated them to convert?

Their origins are unsure; some suppose them to be Turks, some see them as Jews, one of the lost tribes, and I found enough info in the net to make a case of them being Scythians. I personally don't think they were Turks because they are described as tall, blue eyed and red-haired - those characteristics are neither Turkish, nor Semitic; but the Scythians were described like that too. The fact that they are mentioned in connection with Alexander the Great puts the Khazars in the time-frame of the Scythians, the Turkic people weren't around in this times yet. Sources that put them in 100 or 800 AD talk about them as Turkic people; those who place them in Alexanders's time, 4 centuries earlier, see them as Scythians, or Huns.

I guess I could opt for a mixed origin, like this genetic research blog puts it:
"... Khazars were a Central Asian people of Turkic, Hunnish and Iranian elements that arose in the Caucasus region. After converting to Judaism in the early Middle Ages, they moved westward into Russia and the Ukraine under pressure from Islam, eventually becoming a large component of Eastern and Central European Jewry...."http://dnaconsultants.com/_blog/DNA_Consultants_Blog/tag/Khazars/

This would explain all data, like read hair and blue eyes from Caucasus and Irania origin,; Tengiism came from the Turkic people; they were called "Huns"  by Pseudo-Kallistenes in connection with Alexander the Great who fought the Scythians. It's possible that both the Scythians between the Black and Caspian seas and the wave of coming whoever from Central Asia went by the name of Khazars; then the Scythians would have been the original Khazars, and whoever came in between 1-6 century from Central Asia and mixed with them became Khazars too, since in amy human migration one has more people living on one place than people coming in. Whatever the case only Causasian genesis can explain the light complexion, blue eyes and red hair.

This is another interesting studi I found, by a Russian historian  http://www.circassianworld.com/new/north-caucasus/1185-history-of-northern-caucasus-by-v-nabatchikov.html:
"... Khazars grew strength in the north-eastern part of Caspian Sea Coastal region, the Central Ciscaucasia was dominated by the Alani, which reappeared on the world arena as an independent force in connection with Iranian-Byzantine wars, in the north-east of Kuban steppes the Bulgarians were creating their own kingdom - the Great Bulgaria,the Early Adighe-Zikhi tribes were getting united in the Eastern Black Sea Coastal region. Formation of Khazar Khanate brought a strong impetus for restructuring of economic and social structure of the Northern Caucasus community. Common borders, centralized policies of Khazar khans resulted in successful development of integral common Khazar Culture, which was Alani-Bulgarian in its origin. ..."

So, the Alani /also called Scythians, josephus called them so/ were the indigenous population before the Khazars/here supposed to have been Turkic/ came from Central Asia; then they mixed, the Turkic people being dark in hair and eye, the Scythians/Alaini beign light/red haired and blue eyed.Here a map on where the Scythians/Sarmatians/Alani had their empire and that the same territory later became the Khazar Empire:

Those who consider them Turkic their religion was Tengriism  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tengriism, a Central-Asian kinda primitive religion that combines shamanism, animism, totemism, with a god Tangra on the top of it. The Bolgars were supposed to be Tenriists before they accepted Christianity, but now this is challenged also. The Khazars didn't adopt Judaism till like 8-9 century AD, and they had mixture of Judaic and pagan people. I read somewhere that there was an important Jewish community in the Khazar Empire, so it's possible that they brought
 Judaism in. I don't think it was politically related, like say, the conversion of the Poles to Catholicism or the Bulgars to Orthodox Christianity.

This source says otherwise:
"...This much is known: In the mid-eighth century, the ruling elite of the Khazars, a Turkic tribe in Eurasia, converted to Judaism. Their impetus was political, not spiritual. By embracing Judaism, the Khazars were able to maintain their independence from rival monotheistic states, the Muslim caliphate and the Christian Byzantine empire. Governed by a version of rabbinical law, the Khazar Jewish kingdom flourished along the Volga basin until the beginning of the second millennium, at which point it dissolved, leaving behind a mystery: Did the Khazar converts to Judaism remain Jews, and, if so, what became of them? ..."http://spme.net/cgi-bin/articles.cgi?ID=6125

but I personally don't buy that because one accepts a religion for politcal reasons when one can make a important political alliance, and I don't see what kind of allience whey could make with Judaism in 6-11 century AD in their particular location.
File:Chasaren.jpg

Edited by Don Quixote - 25-Aug-2011 at 20:26
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2011 at 19:01
I wonder how many Khazars settled in Poland? It might explain Poland's large prewar Jewish population whose legacy includes food like pierogi, a strong work-ethic, and the dark complexions of many Poles
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2011 at 20:00
I have a darker complexion in the summer working in the thinner air of the upper alpine pastures. Love Polish food, drink copious amounts of beer like a good Pole, have blue eyes and a mustache that turns blondish red in the warmer months as does my arm hair. My work ethic is beyond reproach and  I speak fluent German and Spanish. This however, does not make me either a Khazar, a Pole, nor a long lost Semitic-Jew from the lost tribes that went into captivity into Babylon.Wink

Myths here.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 02-Nov-2011 at 20:01

S. T. Friedman

Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2011 at 20:44

I wonder how many Khazars settled in Poland? It might explain Poland's large prewar Jewish population whose legacy includes food like pierogi, a strong work-ethic, and the dark complexions of many Poles

Judaic-Turko people: Karaites

"
Today many Crimean Karaites deny Israelite origins and consider themselves to be descendants of the Khazars"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimean_Karaites
http://www.turkiye.net/sota/karalit.html

Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>