Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vampire myths

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vampire myths
    Posted: 02-Jun-2011 at 20:32

Long before Bram Stoker's Dracula Germans and Eastern Europeans believed vampires really existed. They were the posessed corpses of witches, criminals and suicides who fed on the blood of the living. Vampires were bald-headed, had sharp fangs and long fingernails, smelled bad, spread disease, and were accompanied by vermin like rats.
Corpses that were suspiciously well-preserved or bloated were thought to have drained the life essence of the living. If pursued by a vampire there were ways of outwitting it: throwing a handful of sand or salt was very effective as vampires loved counting the grains.
To kill a vampire you had to either prevent it from returning to its grave at sunrise or dig up and destroy the corpse. There were several ways of doing this: decapitation, burning, or casting it into a river. Alternatively you could rebury the corpse at a crossroads to stop it from finding its way back. The vampire had to be buried face-down and pinned to the ground with a stake to stop it from clawing its way out and haunting the gravesite.
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
unclefred View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended, Historum joker

Quote unclefred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2011 at 00:40
Today, if there were vampires they would be a voting block for the democrats and therefore would never be mentioned in the establishment press. Until they were given a celebratory month.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2011 at 07:42
Are you kidding?  They would have their own PAC and be pushing for more research on Blood diseases.  Big smile
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2011 at 11:34
What did exist behind this story very popular now days!?!Werewolves were included inside this story near
middle age.Immortality?Fear not to become vampire?Modern concept have provoked  different myths about
vampires.Let us talk about it!
unclefred View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended, Historum joker

Quote unclefred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2011 at 12:33
Perhaps it grew out of the Succubus myth.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2011 at 15:21
This is second more ferocious and maybe basic:ability for reproduction,similar as cuckoo bird,nesting his eggs in other birds nest.Myth have been shared among us cause,always someone needed people,that have feared from those that have been ruled them.
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2011 at 20:44
But i don't behead and or burn the corpse of the little pretty birdy's MedeSmile.....vampires? automatically.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2011 at 02:52
But you could have taken care about alien blood!In most cases with suspicious behavior!This myth was also connected with psychological behavior as schizophrenia.Where had originated "bed" spirit inside their children?Demons were blamed for it.In most cases were marriages of first or second degree:they were close
relatives.In most cases they even had not knowledge about it.

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2011 at 04:52
Originally posted by medenaywe

But you could have taken care about alien blood!In most cases with suspicious behavior!This myth was also connected with psychological behavior as schizophrenia.Where had originated "bed" spirit inside their children?Demons were blamed for it.In most cases were marriages of first or second degree:they were close
relatives.In most cases they even had not knowledge about it.

Aliens remain to be proven to main stream science lest you use the example of 'earth men' on the moon...in which case they were aliens. And Vampy's dont give a damn about freudian machinations or the ill effects of genetic mutations viz dna distortions between close relatives.....

Their dead.Big smile

No Mede... they only care about the sunlight and beheadings and burning.Wink

And maybe garlic.LOL

S. T. Friedman

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2011 at 20:20
Interestingly, the belief garlic was an effective protection from vampires originates in an old Islamic myth (possibly spread to Eastern Europe by the Turks). When Satan was cast out of heaven the garlic plant supposedly sprouted in his footprint. A plant created by the father of evil could be effective protection from his minions (demons, monsters and the undead)
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2011 at 19:36
Originally posted by unclefred

Interesting theory. Both imps and vampires were creatures of the night who needed human blood to survive.
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2011 at 22:23
I believe their were several vampire type legends across Mesopotamia.
Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2011 at 11:58
Originally posted by unclefred

Or, perhaps was created by the doctors and cemetary operators to  both explain and cover the fact that there were many buried alive due to the lack of modern medical tech. 
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2011 at 12:06
Here we have more about your statement Red,but those were buried alive as Zombies:
http://lucidconsciousness.com/psychotropia/?p=2256
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2011 at 09:22
I thought zombies were of African origin. In Europe reanimated corpses were known as ghouls
HerodAntipas View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote HerodAntipas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2011 at 09:28
I don't know if I'm allowed to post links, but if you go to Google and type in "Venice vampire brick" you'll find information about a fascinating archaeological find from 2009, where excavators found a corpse which had clearly come to be regarded as a vampire, and had been treated accordingly. Powerful evidence for the prevalence of the vampire myth.

Vampire myths used to be so cool. The fact that we've gone from all this to "Twilight" is an eloquent statement about the lameness of modern culture!

"Of making many books there is no end, and much study is a weariness of the flesh." Ecclesiastes.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2011 at 09:30
If you're having trouble posting links send a message to one of the moderators: Red Clay, Cyrus, Centix Vigilis or Sander.
HerodAntipas View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote HerodAntipas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2011 at 09:31

"Of making many books there is no end, and much study is a weariness of the flesh." Ecclesiastes.
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2011 at 09:51
Originally posted by HerodAntipas

I don't know if I'm allowed to post links, but if you go to Google and type in "Venice vampire brick" you'll find information about a fascinating archaeological find from 2009, where excavators found a corpse which had clearly come to be regarded as a vampire, and had been treated accordingly. Powerful evidence for the prevalence of the vampire myth.

Vampire myths used to be so cool. The fact that we've gone from all this to "Twilight" is an eloquent statement about the lameness of modern culture!

Within the context of your response to a post...in regards it's context.... if it is a reference or resource to the same.... you certainly may post links and we encourage you to do so.

The only proscription is, as has been addressed elsewhere, are links that are obvious spam.

CV

S. T. Friedman

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2011 at 19:50
The wooden stake wasn't restricted to vampires. Near where i live a famous highwayman recieved the same treatment after he was shot. When the original stake rotted away a replacement was made in the 1920s
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>