Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Victoria

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Victoria
    Posted: 24-Aug-2004 at 16:47

What does a POP's cash reserves mean?  My POP's always end up with zero because I have to set my tax rates at around 70% to keep myself from going into debt.

Has anyone managed to make their country prosperous without high taxes?

Member of IAEA
DSMyers1 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DSMyers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2004 at 17:41

I play that a little, but like EU2 so much better because I dislike micromanagement....

The key is trade tarrifs.  Raise them quite high, and keep taxes below 49%. 

Read the VickyWiki.  It has incredible amounts of information.  I have bairly read any of it yet.  Or just go to the discussion board; Memnon, Darkrenown, and Rafiki are always ready to help.  And they are experts.

John Doe View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote John Doe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2004 at 18:08
yeah, I could never get into Victoria like Eu2...
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2004 at 19:42
You can get away with taxing the lower classes above 50% (as they cannot devolve), but in the long term this will turn them revolutionary.

POPs cash reserves are used to by their 'needs', the more they can fulfill their needs (3 levels of goods) the happier they are.
Arrrgh!!"
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2004 at 21:17
Victorias 10 times more deep than Europa, and with alot less downtime, my only problem is how hard it is to be a non-establsihed power outside of the "civilized" factions.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2004 at 01:30

Originally posted by Tobodai

my only problem is how hard it is to be a non-establsihed power outside of the "civilized" factions.

Well, it's more true to history that way. Only Siam, Ethiopia, Persia, China and Japan managed not to became a European colony or puppet after all - and Persia can be discussed.

Victoria is actually the only Paradox game after EU I haven't tried yet, so I can't comment on the game.

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2004 at 02:09
hmm, i did rather well as Egypt actualy, Japan and China can become 'independant nations' real fast, Persia i would imagine could too, but have never tired it.

Arrrgh!!"
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2004 at 12:28
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Originally posted by Tobodai

my only problem is how hard it is to be a non-establsihed power outside of the "civilized" factions.

Well, it's more true to history that way. Only Siam, Ethiopia, Persia, China and Japan managed not to became a European colony or puppet after all - and Persia can be discussed.

Victoria is actually the only Paradox game after EU I haven't tried yet, so I can't comment on the game.

Yes but true to history isnt always a good thing. One problem I have with Paradox is that half the fun of historical games is taking someone who was nobody in real history and making them ultra powerfull.  Also some ofhte historical interludes dont make any sense if you change the course of a nation.  In EU2 I annihilated all my historical enemies but I still lost half my provinces to an "invasion" event which should not have happened as that faction had been wiped out!

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2004 at 04:59
Well, I do agree that the pre-determination of the events can be utterly silly in many instances. However I do like that it is (said to be) hard or close to impossible to make a non-European a major power in Victoria, since this was the case historically. I don't have any problems with possible non-historical situations though, like Germany uniting early and colonising like mad, taking Britain's or France's place. It's the non-likely situations like a hyper-industrialized native Botswanaland I do not like.

I just put an order on this game, BTW, so I'll soon try it out. Hopefully the MP is as fun as in the other games, since that is the only way I play nowadays.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2004 at 20:10
Has anyone tried the VIP mod yet? Apparently you can play as British India (a seperate power, like the real pre-1857 EIC was), Texas is now a viable country to play, some other stuff, plus loads of events, and railways are more expensive now, plus other stuff.

Will give it ago sometime.
Arrrgh!!"
 Post Reply Post Reply