Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Land of Punt

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Land of Punt
    Posted: 13-May-2011 at 21:23
The Land of Punt is mentioned both in the bible and Egyptian records: Hatshepsut sailed there to get incense and Solomon met (and according to some accounts married) the Queen of Sheba. Both the Egyptian and Israelite sources describe this land as wealthy and rich in gold, ivory and myrrh.
Some historians believe Sheba was in Ethiopia due to the church's many Jewish traits, but others claim it was as far south as sub-Saharan Africa or as far north as Yemen. In your view, where was this mythical land? Did Solomon really marry the queen? And is there any evidence its population converted to Judaism?
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
balochii View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote balochii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2011 at 00:18
it could be east africa or south west arabia, i have been to the southwest region of arabia and indeed it is a really beautiful place
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2011 at 01:20
Read on.....I'll go with the latest and Stanley Balada.

''This is the straits of Bab el Mandeb at the sea's southern end, where today Djibouti and Yemen face each other across narrows no wider than the English Channel.''

But there are powerful arguements for Eritrea.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 14-May-2011 at 01:25
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2011 at 06:53
I still like Velikovsky's comparison with Israel.
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2011 at 10:07
The location for the Land of Punt changes from year to year.  Last year it was Dallas.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2011 at 12:46
No! That was what the Cowboys did when they should have gone for the touchdown!
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2011 at 19:17
Exactly what does Dallas have to do with the Queen of Sheba?
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2011 at 20:40
Nick, that was a response to the post by red clay, where he mentioned "Dallas", which is the home to the American Football team called the "Cowboys!"

Regards,
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2011 at 10:33
Dumb joke, sorry Nick.  In American Football there is a term "punt".  If you cannot gain 10 yards to get another set of downs, you must Punt.  Meaning to kick the ball away to your opponent.  A team that is not having a good year offensively is living"in the land of punt".Big smile
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2011 at 21:28
It seems we both think somewhat alike?

Regards, (a former Cowboy fan)
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2011 at 20:55
In my view the Land of Punt sounds like Ethiopia. Frankincense trees grew on the northern coast and myrrh grows in the east. With its gold and cattle Ethiopia could easily have purchased ivory from further south and sold it on for a profit, not to mention exotic animal skins and precious stones
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2011 at 23:25
I was with ya ole Nick till I read the links I posted earlier.

S. T. Friedman

opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2011 at 21:28
So, you disreagard Velikovsky?
I thought as much!

And you know little about football?

And you also administrate?

Regards,

Edited by opuslola - 19-May-2011 at 21:33
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2011 at 21:38

Yemen is a possibility. But if this is the case why is the queen of Sheba depicted as black?

Edited by Nick1986 - 28-Jul-2011 at 21:39
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2011 at 22:49
Sory Nick, but I see no "black" queen, but I do like to play the card game called "Spades", wherein I will throw the "black Queen" upon you at every opportunity! chuckle!

But, I do notice a few dark skinned attendants! But, either way just how much faith do you place in a representation done hundreds of years later, that is unless you might well consider the rendition as almost related?

Velikovsky does a good job in promoting the possibility that frankinsense and murr, was also a product of Israel!

Regards,

Regards,
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2011 at 01:58
I got interested in the Arabian Penninsula as a possible site for Punt, because some Egyptian sources state that it was both northeast and southeast of Egypt. The traditional rejection of this site is because giraffes don't live now there, and they were known to have been brought from there; but I found this article:
"... We now know from the evidence of geological surveys and satellite pictures that there were indeed "rains in plenty and rivers of running water" in central Arabia; and the remains of a type of giraffe have been found in that area. ..."http://homepage.ntlworld.com/zareeba/araborg1.htm
Then there were giraffes painted in the Bir Hima, dated 300-200 BC., so giraffes existed in Arabia in the time-frame in which Egyptians were around. So I don't see why Arabia cannot be considered as a possible site for Punt.

Edited by Don Quixote - 22-Aug-2011 at 02:05
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2011 at 19:14
What about the ivory? If Punt wasn't in Africa, the only other possibility is India
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2011 at 21:00
Ivory, if memory serves correct, was also still in the ancient Sudan...correct me if I am in err there.. but I still stand on my earlier comments.

S. T. Friedman

Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2011 at 02:28
Originally posted by Nick1986

What about the ivory? If Punt wasn't in Africa, the only other possibility is India

Well, this is what I googled-out:
"...In the year that the Holy Prophet {S} was born, the following event took place. In Yemen there lived a Christian king, Abraha, who marched on Mecca with his elephants in order to destroy the Kaba. This came about in the following way: the Negus, the Christian Emperor of Abyssinia, was a friend and supporter of Abraha of Yemen and honored him in many ways. Abraha was very happy at this, and prepared a lavish feast for his subjects and made many sacrifices, gave food to the poor and the dervishes and had churches built in many cities of Yemen...."http://www.muhammadanreality.com/yearelephant.htm

Supposedly the elephants were like 8, led by one white one called Mahmud; so this elephant refused to cross the boundary of Mecca and sat down, and couldn't be made to move toward Mecca, only towards Syria or Yemen. So, the next day Abraha went to destroy Kaaba without the elephant and got attacked by a flock of small birds, retreated and died on way to Yemen. This year in Muslim history was called "The Year of the Elephant", even though if you ask me the work to make Abraha back off was done not by the elephant, but by the birds, bu I suppose "Year of the Elephant" sounds more majestic that "Year of the Birds".

Elephants were not indigenous for Arabia, but is it possible that they were imported from Erithrea just on the others side of the Red Sea routinelly, hence being seen as something usual for Yemen? If this is not so, then opting for Punt being on the both sides of the Red Sea would make sense, since it satisfies both the ivory import and the geographically being both northeast and southeast from Egypt.

Edited by Don Quixote - 23-Aug-2011 at 02:29
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2011 at 11:52
Originally posted by Nick1986

Or Burma, Thailand, Vietnam etc.
Unknown.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>