Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Total Democracy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Total Democracy?
    Posted: 11-May-2011 at 19:58
Could total democracy be a benefit to society, or a hindrance which would slow down political and developmental decisions to a very slow pace? 
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2011 at 20:18
It would be a benefit, but only when we have reached a sufficient level of technological progress, created free, renewable fuels and eliminated the evils of capitalism and patriotism, thus abolishing war and exploitation of the poor
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2011 at 20:47
Originally posted by Nick1986

It would be a benefit, but only when we have reached a sufficient level of technological progress, created free, renewable fuels and eliminated the evils of capitalism and patriotism, thus abolishing war and exploitation of the poor

Imagine every decision which is made in parliament having to be voted on not just at the end but at various stages of its development. Do you think every process would slow down the workings of a nation's development? Do you see it as a good thing that everything is slowed down, or do you see the slowing down as a burden on society?
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2011 at 20:51
Total democracy is something to be avoided like the plague!
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2011 at 21:11

Ancient Athens, Greece is probably the closet to a pure deomcracy; whereas, the USA is a Republic or representive form of government.

I would start by studying the history of ancient Athens but I am not sure about modern examples.

Edited by eaglecap - 11-May-2011 at 21:29
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2011 at 21:33
Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

Could total democracy be a benefit to society, or a hindrance which would slow down political and developmental decisions to a very slow pace? 

It would be mob rule which would be more of a hinderance in my humble opinion.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2011 at 21:40
Originally posted by eaglecap

It would be mob rule which would be more of a hinderance in my humble opinion.

Can you imagine what power the media would hold under such conditions, with rule by public opinion?
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2011 at 07:56

Imagine every decision which is made in parliament having to be voted on not just at the end but at various stages of its development. Do you think every process would slow down the workings of a nation's development? Do you see it as a good thing that everything is slowed down, or do you see the slowing down as a burden on society?

When we have flying cars, teleporters, spaceships, modernist architecture, equally paid jobs (so everyone can afford to live well and has a function in society) we're sufficiently developed in my view. The powers of the central government must be limited with as much local control as possible in order to prevent totalitarianism: for example, gun control may be beneficial to the big city (to keep them out of the hands of gangsters) but it would be tyrannical if forcibly applied to the small town (where people use them for hunting and target practise). Every law passed by the government should be either obeyed or ignored by local communities (led by democratically elected councils) depending on whether they are in the people's interest or not (with the exception of universally recognised laws preventing killing, stealing, vandalism, assault or rape)
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Athena View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Athena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2011 at 10:34
I am overwhelmed by your question.  Have you ever functioned in a large group trying to agree on something?  The more people who participate, the longer it takes to get a decision, and the chances of it being a good decision are increased.   Before we go any further with this, we might ask, where are we going in such a hurry? 

By the way folks, our "Republic" is very corrupted.  I don't want to take this thread off track, so I will leave it that. 
Athena View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Athena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2011 at 10:39

When we have flying cars, teleporters, spaceships, modernist architecture, equally paid jobs (so everyone can afford to live well and has a function in society) we're sufficiently developed in my view. The powers of the central government must be limited with as much local control as possible in order to prevent totalitarianism: for example, gun control may be beneficial to the big city (to keep them out of the hands of gangsters) but it would be tyrannical if forcibly applied to the small town (where people use them for hunting and target practise). Every law passed by the government should be either obeyed or ignored by local communities (led by democratically elected councils) depending on whether they are in the people's interest or not (with the exception of universally recognised laws preventing killing, stealing, vandalism, assault or rape)

That is far too much consumption!  It is not sustainable.   Can you pare it down to what a family actually needs, with consideration of what was thought essential 200 years ago? 
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2011 at 11:56
Originally posted by Athena

I am overwhelmed by your question.  Have you ever functioned in a large group trying to agree on something?  The more people who participate, the longer it takes to get a decision, and the chances of it being a good decision are increased.   Before we go any further with this, we might ask, where are we going in such a hurry?

There's a huge difference between large groups taking a long time deliberating on a point hoping to get a good decision for some aspect to be acted on by others, and monumental numbers of people deliberating on every decision on everything before anything can proceed. Any bad decision for example would become so many times worse because of the protracted methodology needed to act upon it once it has been found to be bad. More over, as a single decision may have knock on effects, those effects would need to be deliberated on and acted upon. The question is, as these procedures are so protracted, which do you spend your precious times deliberating on first, the cause or the effect? If you decide on the cause, will the effect become a cause of further effects...etc...? If you choose the effects first, does the cause further effects? If there are multiple effects, do you find your self in an even more difficult deciding on your priorities? Confused 
ralfy View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote ralfy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2011 at 11:36
Originally posted by eaglecap

Ancient Athens, Greece is probably the closet to a pure deomcracy; whereas, the USA is a Republic or representive form of government.

I would start by studying the history of ancient Athens but I am not sure about modern examples.

Is it the case that only white, male Athenians were allowed to vote?

PADDYBOY View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Historum joker, suspended

Quote PADDYBOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2011 at 11:41
Originally posted by ralfy

True. Even Spartan women had more say than Athenian women.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2011 at 11:49
Originally posted by PADDYBOY

Originally posted by ralfy

True. Even Spartan women had more say than Athenian women.

Then the Athenians had a meritocracy not a democracy. So much for it being the cradle of democracy. 
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2011 at 12:37

Before I start first you have to choose about the pills:blue you stay inside,or red,you try to see what the matrix is!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te6qG4yn-Ps
As ideology,all those ideas above, have started anarchy creators!Non violent but dangerous in time they existed.Marks preached that "communism" would come in technology advanced countries!Allusion of
mass delusion!All those have neglected basic animal part of human being:Animal societies are hierarchy,
subordinated  from  the  top  downward!In  animal  society,guardian of order is chemistry,smelt of alpha
mail/female!Biggest concentration,closest "contact"!Therefore we are overdosed with sex all around us.
First civilizations and last have shared main goals,system would have been preserved out of rational logic
and sense!It is not about technology but who would control supercomputer of tomorrow,Nick It was that why,all societies, had not enough freedom and security for their members!Look Western World today:National Interest,Globalization,Global Warming,...etc.Instead of I/Me,alpha units push in front,our collective interests,as main goals of their nations!Can not predict will we improve our DNA in future but this way leads only toward nests of Ant Queen or Queen bees society!

Edited by medenaywe - 13-May-2011 at 15:11
Athena View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Athena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2011 at 19:50

There's a huge difference between large groups taking a long time deliberating on a point hoping to get a good decision for some aspect to be acted on by others, and monumental numbers of people deliberating on every decision on everything before anything can proceed. Any bad decision for example would become so many times worse because of the protracted methodology needed to act upon it once it has been found to be bad. More over, as a single decision may have knock on effects, those effects would need to be deliberated on and acted upon. The question is, as these procedures are so protracted, which do you spend your precious times deliberating on first, the cause or the effect? If you decide on the cause, will the effect become a cause of further effects...etc...? If you choose the effects first, does the cause further effects? If there are multiple effects, do you find your self in an even more difficult deciding on your priorities? Confused 

I hope others get the point I am struggling to make.

I remember when the receptionist knew everything and could answer all the questions, and everything was managed on a more personal level.   That was before developing the Prussian bureaucratic model to the point we have developed it today.   Now the bureaucracy above us crushes individual liberty and power, but this was not always so.   We made personal decisions based on our interaction with human beings and shared values, which contrast sharply with today's amorality and decisions based on what is written in the policy that defines every detail of our jobs.   Until this change in our reality is understood, it is rather futile to discuss democracy.  

I am history.    I am old and so are my friends old and we going crazy with the cold, impersonal, "professional" human interactions that reduce us to powerlessness.   No longer is the receptionist  thinking about the person s/he is speaking with.  No, s/he is thinking about the procedure s/he is to follow.  Trying to engage with this person, trying to resolve a problem with this person, could not be worse if this person were a computer.   S/he has nothing like the power of past service providers, and neither do those seeking service.   Everyone is so unaware of the power they have lost, as though human beings were always so powerless.  And it makes me really nuts that we think the US is defending democracy around the world, when those folks have far more personal power than we do. 

Excuse me, you do not have the paper work that is required to proceed from here.   Be sure when you come back you have the proper identification and your paper work is done correctly. 

Edited by Athena - 13-May-2011 at 20:00
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2011 at 20:18

I hope others get the point I am struggling to make.

I remember when the receptionist knew everything and could answer all the questions, and everything was managed on a more personal level.   That was before developing the Prussian bureaucratic model to the point we have developed it today.   Now the bureaucracy above us crushes individual liberty and power, but this was not always so.   We made personal decisions based on our interaction with human beings and shared values, which contrast sharply with today's amorality and decisions based on what is written in the policy that defines every detail of our jobs.   Until this change in our reality is understood, it is rather futile to discuss democracy.  

I am history.    I am old and so are my friends old and we going crazy with the cold, impersonal, "professional" human interactions that reduce us to powerlessness.   No longer is the receptionist  thinking about the person s/he is speaking with.  No, s/he is thinking about the procedure s/he is to follow.  Trying to engage with this person, trying to resolve a problem with this person, could not be worse if this person were a computer.   S/he has nothing like the power of past service providers, and neither do those seeking service.   Everyone is so unaware of the power they have lost, as though human beings were always so powerless.  And it makes me really nuts that we think the US is defending democracy around the world, when those folks have far more personal power than we do. 

Excuse me, you do not have the paper work that is required to proceed from here.   Be sure when you come back you have the proper identification and your paper work is done correctly. 

I know what you mean, though I still know receptionists whose eyes are not glazed over when they see you. My point is that even though philosophically speaking total democracy sounds like utopia, pragmatically things would be crushed under the burden of decision making continuously rolling forward at an artificially slow pace. Even on your holiday you would be beset by this crush of decision making which would make it almost impossible to find and time for relaxation.
Athena View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Athena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2011 at 17:51
I do not understand how people who believe it is their job to please me, would ruin my vacation?  However, someone who would not allow me to board public transportation without the proper ID and who could not make an independent decision, surely could ruin a vacation.  

Why the concern for making fast decisions?  Where are we going in such a hurry? 

What does complete democracy mean to you?   To me it doesn't mean no authority, because that would be a problem, but it does mean limited authority.   The janitor does not make dental decisions that a dentist makes, because this is not his field of expertise, but neither does the dentist drag people out of their homes for dental care.   Even in a democracy jobs must be delegated, but a mayor is not given the right to create new taxes when a budget short fall means either increasing revenue or cutting services.  It is great to be a mayor when times are good, but it has to really suck when times a bad.   I don't attend the political meetings I should be attending, and have my doubts about people having voting rights when they do not attend the meetings.   Knowing how few people actually attend the meetings, I don't think too much participation is a real threat to our democracy.    

Edited by Athena - 15-May-2011 at 17:53
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2011 at 18:47
Untenable at this point.... the historical record reveals that total democracy is an illusion. And the concept of it is still being bought into 7500 years later. As a species it is.... and has been demonstrated innumerable time in every era.... the inherent genetic predisposition for men to rule over and even tyrannize their fellows.

Is it right? fair? Depends on who's winning.Wink
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Michael Collins View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian
Historum joker, suspended

Quote Michael Collins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2011 at 18:59
Democracy is a nothing. Benevolent dictatorship would most likely be a lot better than most democracies at any given time.  You'd think the poor fellow would vote for his interests, alas, he is easily conned.

Absolute Monarchy based on Patriotism and loyalty to the country, and the individual culture of the single nation, that's my political philosophy. There may yet come a day. Today, I suffer the inverse. Democracy & Globalization ... Cry
Is í labhairt a dteanga an moladh is mó is féidir linn a thabhairt dár namhaid.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>