Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Zulfiqar, Sword of Ali

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zulfiqar, Sword of Ali
    Posted: 15-Apr-2011 at 10:13

Zulfiqar was a sword with two blades Muhammed gave to his bravest warrior Ali. At the Battle of the Trench Ali used it to defeat a fierce Meccan opponent by cleaving through his shield and armor.
How did Muhammed acquire Zulfiqar? Who made it? What happened to it after Ali's death? And did it really have two blades or was it double-edged like a Roman gladius?

Edited by Nick1986 - 15-Apr-2011 at 10:16
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2011 at 14:18
Arab View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Arab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2011 at 18:39
Its origins are rather hazy. One account claims it was forged by King David.

As for its appearance, perhaps its traditional shape is a little glamorized. Back then in Arabia scimitars probably weren't used yet. Instead they used short swords similar to a gladius or Sassanid-style longswords. Curved sabers were probably introduced by the Turks around the 10th century, who used it because of its effective slashing ability on horseback.
"Prayer is when you talk to God. Insanity is when you talk to God and he answers back."
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2011 at 20:42
I've not heard from my old buddy Arab for some time. I hope he comes back soon
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2011 at 14:05
Originally posted by Nick1986

How did Muhammed acquire Zulfiqar? Who made it?

In the battle of Uhad Ali was fighting and saving the prophet Mohammad. Due to the continuous attack and the power of Ali general swords were broken again and again. Mohammad prayed for Ali "O God you gave power to Ali now give the weapon yourself". The angel Gabriel appeared, bearing the sword Zulfiqar. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zulfiqar

or according to some sources, Mukavkas Muhammed (Malik of Eygpt) gave it to Muhammed and he gave it to Ali

What happened to it after Ali's death?

there are two theories about it.

1-Ali throw it into the water in city Najaf

2-Mehdi(=Messiah?) will return Earth with Zulfiqar

And did it really have two blades or was it double-edged like a Roman gladius?

yes, people believe it like that. one blade is for science/wisdom, one of them for justice. It is also a kind of symbol for Alevi people in Turkey. Their most special idiom is "Allah, Muhammed, Ali" and Zulfiqar means Hz. Ali for them.

for more information about Alevis http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alevi
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2011 at 19:01
Why did Ali throw his sword into the water? Was he mortally wounded like King Arthur, or did he have another reason?
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2011 at 12:48

Why did Ali throw his sword into the water? Was he mortally wounded like King Arthur, or did he have another reason?

Ali didn't die in battle so I don't believe mortally wound option.
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
gilaki View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote gilaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2013 at 20:00
we, shias, believe that dhulfiqar is actually in the hands of our last Imam, Al-Mahdi(aj), who is in occultation since more than 1000 years
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2013 at 08:26
Does that mean Zulfiqar is currently in heaven, or concealed somewhere on earth for the Mahdi to use when he returns?
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2013 at 10:51

Zulfiqar was a sword with two blades Muhammed gave to his bravest warrior Ali. At the Battle of the Trench Ali used it to defeat a fierce Meccan opponent by cleaving through his shield and armor.
How did Muhammed acquire Zulfiqar? Who made it? What happened to it after Ali's death? And did it really have two blades or was it double-edged like a Roman gladius?
I have a feeling that the above picture of the sword maybe due to a misunderstanding of the story of how the sword was meant to have been found, and given to Ali by Muhammed. Two swords becoming a sword double bladed at the end. The way I gather it a pagan temple was captured, and two swords were retrieved. One of the swords was called Al-Mikhdham, and the other Al-Rasub. The sword known as Al-Mikhdham was the sword given to Ali and called Al-Dhulfiqar, later to be known as Zulfiqar.

What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
 Post Reply Post Reply