Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help me fill in the gaps: Ancient Near East Books

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ConradWeiser View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ConradWeiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help me fill in the gaps: Ancient Near East Books
    Posted: 10-Oct-2010 at 14:30
I'm looking for scholarly works by experts in their field surrounding the cultures of the Ancient Near East.

Here are some of the books I have already obtained and read (or am in the process of reading). As you can see, there are many holes in my knowledge surrounding the region.

The Babylonians: An Introduction by Gwendolyn Leick (2003)
Who were the Early Israelites and Where Did They Come From? by William G. Dever (2003)
Ancient Canaan and Israel: An Introduction by Jonathan M. Golden (2004)
The Oxford History of Ancient Egypt edited by Ian Shaw (2000)
Egypt: Pharaonic Period (part of the Dictionaries of Civilizations series by Alessia Fassone and Enrico Ferraris (2007) [Not really scholarly but excellent pictures none-the-less]
The Hittites and their Contemporaries in Asia Minor by J. G. Macqueen (1975 and 1986)

I'd like to fill in the gaps. What works are worth looking at? I'm especially interested in Phoenicia, Assyria, Babylonia, Ugarit (I actually haven't heard of this civilization until quite recently), and Minoa and Mycenae.

Comments on the above works will be helpful also, if you've read them.

Edited by ConradWeiser - 10-Oct-2010 at 14:31
Another year! Another deadly blow!
Another mighty empire overthrown!
And we are left, or shall be left, alone.
-William Wordsworth
StoryTeller01 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote StoryTeller01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2010 at 00:02
"The Hittites and their Contemporaries in Asia Minor by J. G. Macqueen (1975 and 1986)"

I've seen a preview of it on Amazon, it looks good, i might buy myself a copy.

Post Reply Post Reply