Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

USSR or USA?Which one do you favor most?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Poll Question: USA OR USSR? Who is your daddy?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
20 [23.53%]
65 [76.47%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: USSR or USA?Which one do you favor most?
    Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 15:24
I would prefer living in Alanya in Turkey
[IMG]http://img50.exs.cx/img50/6148/ger3.jpg">

Qaghan of the Vast Steppes

Steppes History Forum
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 21:20
Well, the US and the USSR both had their great sides, and they both had their bad sides. The tiebreaker, as i saw someone else write in an earlier post, would be culture. Hotdogs and Hamburgers and 200-year old history just doesnt do it for me. And sure, I dont like the fact that the USSR was Athiest, but America isnt too far from being Athiest these days, either, its just that its not enforced here, lol. So just based on the cultural aspect i choose CCCP.
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Jagatai Khan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2004 at 04:57
My vote goes for USSR,because the USA only made wealty men rich,while Soviets helped poor people.
Cornellia View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Cornellia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2004 at 06:40

Originally posted by ArmenianSurvival

The tiebreaker, as i saw someone else write in an earlier post, would be culture. Hotdogs and Hamburgers and 200-year old history just doesnt do it for me. .

A common misconception.  The US has only a 280 year old history as an united nation but then some countries - such as Germany have a shorter history as an united entity as well.   The history of the region that was to become the US is actually quite old.

Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas
Rebelsoul View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Rebelsoul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2004 at 07:07
Originally posted by Cornellia

A common misconception.  The US has only a 280 year old history as an united nation but then some countries - such as Germany have a shorter history as an united entity as well.   The history of the region that was to become the US is actually quite old.

National history. German national history goes back to the first centuries AD. Roman history goes back to the 8th century BC. Greek history goes back to the 25th century BC.

American (as in US) history goes back two centuries.

So, no, it's not misconception, it's plain truth.

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2004 at 09:01

Originally posted by Jagatai Khan

My vote goes for USSR,because the USA only made wealty men rich,while Soviets helped poor people.

Yeah, Soviet only killed off some 30-odd million innocent people, force-relocated several millions other - ethnically cleansed, one would say today - but in the US there are rich people, so let's vote on Soviet anyway. Jolly good argument, there...

Edited by Styrbiorn
Gallipoli View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Gallipoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2004 at 09:10
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Yeah, Soviet only killed off some 30-odd million innocent people, force-relocated several millions other - ethnically cleansed, one would say today - but in the US there are rich people, so let's vote on Soviet anyway. Jolly good argument, there...

No Stalin killed 30 Million people, not the Soviets...

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2004 at 10:04
Originally posted by Gallipoli

Originally posted by Styrbiorn

No Stalin killed 30 Million people, not the Soviets...

Yeah, and Hitler killed 50 million, not the Nazis...

Only the leader is responsible, those following and supporting him are completely free of any responsibility, eh? Interesting world view.

We do need a rolls eyes smiley.

Edited by Styrbiorn
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2004 at 11:16
Well Jagatai, you can't say that the Soviet government in any way helped the woriking man more the the US. The CCCP had, just like the US, an elite with wealth of the country and they weren't too happy to share it with the people. The CCCP wasn't that different from the US in their ideals other then the slogan that says: "Power to the working people." The two just hated their guts.
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Gallipoli View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Gallipoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 04:08
Stybiorn that is not the case,I meant "Stalin killed all those people, not the Russians." It is like saying "Nazis made the holocaust, not the Germans"
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 08:34

Stybiorn that is not the case,I meant "Stalin killed all those people, not the Russians." It is like saying "Nazis made the holocaust, not the Germans"

What do you mean? I can't understand what you are trying to say.

Gallipoli View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Gallipoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 08:59

Ok here is the deal:

1.I hate Stalin

2.I only like Khruschev and his policies

3.Stalin and SOME Soviets killed 20 Million people, not ALL Soviet or Russian people

4.I had a swedish girlfriend once named Ylvali

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 09:42

Ok here is the deal:

1.I hate Stalin

2.I only like Khruschev and his policies

3.Stalin and SOME Soviets killed 20 Million people, not ALL Soviet or Russian people

4.I had a swedish girlfriend once named Ylvali

Well, far from all Nazis killed anyone either. I don't see the relevance though, when the question stands between USSR, an aggressive, murderous totalitarian state, and the USA, though far from flawless, the most free and just superpower that has existed. The choice is pretty obvious in my book.

Jagatai Khan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 09:47

Styrbiorn,Gallipoli is right;those people were killed by Stalin.As you see he was a maniac.Already,other rulers after him criticized his policies and him.

Kalevipoeg,I wanted to say that USSR struggled to equalize people a bit.But in capitalist countries,you can not see a study like that.

Gallipoli View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Gallipoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 10:04
Your book?
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 10:31

Styrbiorn,Gallipoli is right;those people were killed by Stalin.As you see he was a maniac.Already,other rulers after him criticized his policies and him.

Yes, so because he was a maniac all those who obeyed him were totally innocent. Right.... Hitler was also a maniac, do you think all those Nazis who supported him are innocent lambs?

Bah, voting on USSR is not much better than voting for Nazi Germany. Maybe you should try to speak a little with people who actually were affected by them, some Balts, Poles or Hungarians mayhap?

Edited by Styrbiorn
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 10:59

Originally posted by Cornellia

Which is not to say that the USSR doesn't have their good points, now or in the past.

Hmm. For about half of my life Soviet Union was a neighbour country of Poland - my homeland. It was also dominating not only my country but the whole region.

In 1956 Soviets raped Hungary. Also in 1956 polish goverment (soviet puppets in other words) raped my city where was anti communist uprising. In 1968 Warsaw pact raped Czechoslovakia. In 1980-1981 Soviet Union together with other communist puppets were considering if they should enter to Poland and rape it, but luckilly our freedom was raped by our own communist puppets of Soviet Union. And as i said before for about half of my life Soviet union was my neighbour. I would like to know somthing about "good points" of the USSR because i dont see any. But here are so many people with so great knowledge that surelly will show me soon all those "good points" and teach me how cool and great place to live USSR was.

And to the other posters (those who likes USSR) on this forum i cant tell only one thing. It is a pity that USSR does not exist anymore. It would be really cool if you commies could have gather all together and go there, and stay there, untill your last day of life. We all would have profits of that. You would be living in your worker's and paesants paradise and i wouldnt be forced to read your stupid posts. ( i know that i use now here not civilised language but soon someone here may try to want tell us how cool Nazi Germany were, and im going to reply in the same way).

Edited by Mosquito
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 16:37

Hi.

I was visiting this forum many times reading opinions of various people but now I think it's high time for me to register because finally I've lost my patience.

To all funs of USRR I would like to write one thing: Mosquito made a mistake because although a country called "USSR" really doesn't exist, its influences are still clearly seen in the Eastern Europe, especially in Belarus which is based on the same ideas as USSR.  So everything is possible! Your dreams can come true! Why not move there? As Mosquito said, it's great chance for you to spend the rest of you live living in your paradise.  But if you don't like a Belarusan climate or you have another prejudice against this country, there is still wide choice: Russia, Poland, Kazakhstan, Kyrgystan, Mongolia, Romania, Hungary, Serbia and Montenegro - all these countries are poor enough to satisfy people who thanks to the capitalism are so rich that they want to be poorer. But if you prefer warmer climate - it's possible also to choose some exotic countries - Cuba or North Korea.  You would be able to praise your favourite rulers as long as you want and see other people being as happy as you.

Frankly, it's for me incredible that almost 24% of people voted for USSR. But it is clear evidence that USSR still exists. It exists in brains of people, cultural, well educated people of the West.

Please, read some books about USSR written by people who lived there and who knew the real face of that system. Discovery Channel and site www.soviet-empire.com do not show the truth. Try to read some books of Solzhenitsyn ( "One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich", "The Gulag Archipelago" ) or Polish writer Gustaw Herling- Grudzinski ("Another World") and try to reflect on the fate of people who weren't as lucky as you and didn't have the possibility of moving abroad.

Soviet regime was a twin of the Third Reich. Both killed a lot of human beings and both was created on the base of ideas according to which system is more important than man. In opposite to USA, there were no freedom for anyone.

John Doe View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote John Doe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 16:55
I think some of the poll results were based on Russia before the USSR as well, particularly those referring to culture and history.

They should have only focused on the USSR though.

Welcome to AE megabomber
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 19:28

Frankly, it's for me incredible that almost 24% of people voted for USSR. But it is clear evidence that USSR still exists. It exists in brains of people, cultural, well educated people of the West.

Making it a figment of the imagination?!?!

I have traveled the western USSR extensively in both pre and post communist fall and I find it interesting to see the dichotomy.  In the late 1970's it was still fearful to complain overly much, so Russians (as the dominant group) have developed a wonderful sense of humor to "obliquely" complain.  One phrase being "They pretend to pay us and we pretend to work".  I think it encapsulates the USSR and its oppressiveness quite well.  As an immigrant to the US from Europe, I have found the US to offer many more opportunities (with more chances to fail) than Europe offered.  Especially today.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>