Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'Irian jaya' and Papua New Guinea

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ultrakhmer View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ultrakhmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 'Irian jaya' and Papua New Guinea
    Posted: 24-Sep-2010 at 17:22
Ok, someone tell me when and how did the Island of New Guinea' become divided between "Indonesia" and "Papua New Guine"? I mean, if it's just one big island so I can imagine the people would each know each other wouldn't they? or is that 'imaginary' border between Indonesia and Papua new Guinea just randomly drawn up? It's like if there was a village in the middle there, and half of my house would be in Indonesia and the other in Papua New Guinea? or if I walk over than mountain I will arrive in another country. ?? LOL
Sander View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2010 at 18:26

The current border dates back to the colonial era.

The western half of New Guinea was a Dutch colony and part of the Dutch Indies

(Nederlands-Indië). The eastern half was  formerly German and Australian before it became Papua New Guinea, an independent state.

Some time after WW II the Dutch Indies became the independent state of Indonesia. Dutch New Guinea remained Dutch until the 1960's when  it became part of Indonesia.

Star
 Post Reply Post Reply