Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tribal states vs feudal states in 10-11th century

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tribal states vs feudal states in 10-11th century
    Posted: 06-Sep-2010 at 20:23
Recently I was reading history books about 10th and 11th century Europe and started to think about the power of primitive tribal states which were able to become a serious threat for civilised and christianised feudal european states.

On the one side we have monarchies like Holy Roman Empire or France or rather monarchies that emerged after the division of Charlemagne's empire.

On the other side are primitive tribal states of Danes, Hungarians, Poles and almost forgotten tirbes of pagan western Slavs, living on the territory of Eastern Germany who formed federation known as Veletii, Union of Veletii and later Luticii.

For long periods of time the mighty Empire suffered from the raids of those barbaric and pagan tribes, not often being able to stop them.

For decades of 10th century the Magyars were launching attacks towards western Europe, trying to conquer parts of Germany. Their agressions were finally stopped at the battle of Lechfeld when Emperor Otto I defeated them in year 955 AD. The chronicles say that Hungarians had 50.000 wariors. After the battle Geza ruler of Magyar tribes started to christianise his country and introduce feudalism.

The Danes were invading all the European shores, conquering Normandy and England, parts of the civilised and christianised feudal Europe. Not to mention less civilised Ireland. Denmark was also able to keep its independence from the Empire. Around the year 960 AD Denmark begins its christianisation and slowly starts to follow feudal pattern.

Poland appears on the map of Europe when its ruler Mieszko I begins christianisation of his state in year 966 AD. The tribe "Polanie" has conquered many neighbouring tribes of western slavic people what finally brought it to have border with German empire. For the next century it is somtimes the ally of the German emperors, sometimes the enemy fighting bloody wars against them and defeating emperors, invading German empire or sucesfully defending itself from German invasions. The first known major battle is the battle of Cedynia in year 972 AD, described by German chronicler Thietmar, when German forces: 1000-1300 knights and 3000 infantry invaded Poland trying to stop Polish ruler from conquering Pomerania and the island of mixed Danish - Slavic vikings Jomsborg. German forces were defeated and massacred, emperor Otto I had to come back from Italy to mediate between Polish ruler and Saxon Odo I.

The Western Slavs in modern Germany appears in history in times of Charlemagne. In the 9th century some of them are the allies of Franks against germanic Saxon and others are being conquered by Franks. After death of Charlemagne they again become independent. In the 10th century they become partly conquered by the Empire, suffering also invasions from the Danes and Poles. Unlike all the other tribes mentioned above they do not accept christianity nor form a state. Instead part of them formed tribal union, federation of Western Slavs known as Veletii, later Luticii. They also were able to defeat invading German forces somtimes even allying with them against for example Poles (during reign emperor Otto II and emperor Henry II). Veletii-Luticii were a democratic society, they failed to introduce monarchy, untill the end remained pagan. Resisted all attempts to conquer or christianise them untill the half of 12th century when their union broke in civil war, allowing neighbours - especially Germans to conquer them.

In cases of all those groups of tribes: Magyars, Danes, Polans and Veletii - Luticii we can see the pagan or nominally christianised nations fighting against much stronger empire that was more advanced in matters of military, technologic, economic, diplomatic and social developement. Finally all of them except for Veletii - Luticii adopted christianity and feudalism and became much lesser threat.

The feudal society was divided on wariors/knights and paesants who were working in fact to arm and feed them. In tribal society all the men were free except from slaves who were coming from prisoners of war. Every free man was a warior who was fighting in the wars of his tribes. For example population of early Poland in the times of its first historical rulers is estimated on 1 million people - compared to population of Europe estimated on about 45 millions. But the number of wariors was big enough not only to defend itself from Holy German Empire but even to invade it. The same situation is with Danes, Magyars and Veletii-Luticii who for long time were able to sucesfully fight against - in theory much stronger and better equipped and organised enemy.

"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Maximus Germanicus I View Drop Down
Knight
Knight
Suspended

Quote Maximus Germanicus I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2010 at 04:08
A well thought out entry,

I wouldn't call the Danes a Tribal state by the 10th or 11th centurary. Further the Danes were not all just freemen or kings, they had pretty strict classes of Thrall, Landsmen, Freemen, Carls/Jarls and Huscarls. It was the same set up that feudal England had under the Saxons and Normans who were pretty close to the Danes.

Denmark didn't threaten the HRE after about 950 or so (and really never did), they fell under German influence until about 1265 when the Bishop of Lund and King Valdemar established a stronger state, That Included the Baltic empire of Estonis and Norway

The Danes were united and officially Christianised in 965 AD

Further I still contend that the HRE was a collection of German Tribes, not really a feudal state as was France, and England. The HRE had more free citiies and a stronger middle class than other nations of europe

The HRE empire is considered starting with Otto 2 in 962. The Maygars were defeated in 955 (by Otto 2 before he was the HRE E) and were no longer a real threat to the HRE

The Battle of Lechfeld (10 August 955), often seen as the defining event for holding off the incursions of the Hungarians into Western Europe, was a decisive victory by Otto I the Great, King of the Germans, over the Hungarian leaders, the harka (military leader) Bulcsú and the chieftains Lél (Lehel) and Súr. Located south of Augsburg, the Lechfeld is the flood plain that lies along the Lech River. The battle appears as the Battle of Augsburg in Hungarian historiography. It was followed up by the Battle of Recknitz in October.

The Germans were able to fight hand-to-hand with the Hungarians, giving the traditionally nomad warriors no room to use their favorite shoot-and-run tactics. Bulcsú feigned a retreat with part of his force, in an attempt to lure Otto's men into breaking their line in pursuit, but to no avail. The German line maintained formation and routed the Magyars from the field. The German forces maintained discipline and methodically pursued the Magyars for the next couple of days, rather than dispersing jubilantly, as German forces had been known to do. "Some of the enemy sought refuge in nearby villages, their horses being worn out; these were surrounded and burnt to death within the walls." The captured Magyars were either executed, or sent back to their ruling prince, Taksony, missing their ears and noses; on their return the Hungarian dukes Lél, Bulcsú and Sur, who were not Árpáds, were executed. Duke Conrad was also killed, who opened his vest in the summer heat, and one arrow struck his throat. "Never was so bloody a victory gained over so savage a people," was Widukind's conclusion. 

• Beeler, John. Warfare in Feudal Europe 730-1200. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University, 1971. ISBN 0-0814-9120-7
  • Charles R. Bowlus, The Battle of Lechfeld and Its Aftermath, August 955: The End of the Age of Migrations in the Latin West, Ashgate Publishing, 2006.
  •  

The Poles become Christain in 965 and were under the Piast dynasty they really weren't tribal raiders, they were never a reall threat to the HRE (960's and past) until the Jangs a few hundred years later.

Edited by Maximus Germanicus I - 08-Sep-2010 at 04:51
    Mosquito View Drop Down
    Caliph
    Caliph
    Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2010 at 07:48
    Originally posted by Maximus Germanicus I

A well thought out entry,

I wouldn't call the Danes a Tribal state by the 10th or 11th centurary. Further the Danes were not all just freemen or kings, they had pretty strict classes of Thrall, Landsmen, Freemen, Carls/Jarls and Huscarls. It was the same set up that feudal England had under the Saxons and Normans who were pretty close to the Danes.

Denmark didn't threaten the HRE after about 950 or so (and really never did), they fell under German influence until about 1265 when the Bishop of Lund and King Valdemar established a stronger state, That Included the Baltic empire of Estonis and Norway

The Danes were united and officially Christianised in 965 AD

Further I still contend that the HRE was a collection of German Tribes, not really a feudal state as was France, and England. The HRE had more free citiies and a stronger middle class than other nations of europe

The HRE empire is considered starting with Otto 2 in 962. The Maygars were defeated in 955 (by Otto 2 before he was the HRE E) and were no longer a real threat to the HRE

The Battle of Lechfeld (10 August 955), often seen as the defining event for holding off the incursions of the Hungarians into Western Europe, was a decisive victory by Otto I the Great, King of the Germans, over the Hungarian leaders, the harka (military leader) Bulcsú and the chieftains Lél (Lehel) and Súr. Located south of Augsburg, the Lechfeld is the flood plain that lies along the Lech River. The battle appears as the Battle of Augsburg in Hungarian historiography. It was followed up by the Battle of Recknitz in October.

The Germans were able to fight hand-to-hand with the Hungarians, giving the traditionally nomad warriors no room to use their favorite shoot-and-run tactics. Bulcsú feigned a retreat with part of his force, in an attempt to lure Otto's men into breaking their line in pursuit, but to no avail. The German line maintained formation and routed the Magyars from the field. The German forces maintained discipline and methodically pursued the Magyars for the next couple of days, rather than dispersing jubilantly, as German forces had been known to do. "Some of the enemy sought refuge in nearby villages, their horses being worn out; these were surrounded and burnt to death within the walls." The captured Magyars were either executed, or sent back to their ruling prince, Taksony, missing their ears and noses; on their return the Hungarian dukes Lél, Bulcsú and Sur, who were not Árpáds, were executed. Duke Conrad was also killed, who opened his vest in the summer heat, and one arrow struck his throat. "Never was so bloody a victory gained over so savage a people," was Widukind's conclusion. 

• Beeler, John. Warfare in Feudal Europe 730-1200. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University, 1971. ISBN 0-0814-9120-7
  • Charles R. Bowlus, The Battle of Lechfeld and Its Aftermath, August 955: The End of the Age of Migrations in the Latin West, Ashgate Publishing, 2006.
  •  

The Poles become Christain in 965 and were under the Piast dynasty they really weren't tribal raiders, they were never a reall threat to the HRE (960's and past) until the Jangs a few hundred years later.

Its not quite truth. King Harald the Bluetooth of Denmark started christianisation but his son Sven the Forkbeard christianised as a child fought against the church and even banished the bishops from Denmark.

Polad was christianised in 966AD. Or rather just like in case of scandinavians, the ruler of Poland was christianised what started christianisation of the country.

I think we can call those monarchies tribal to some extent. Poland was named after tribe of Polan's (pol. POLANIE), who conquered in the 10th century the tribes of Vistulans (Wislanie), Mazovians (mazowszanie), Silesians (slezanie), Volinians (wolinianie), Lubuszanie and other tribes. The conquered tribes and their territories were incorporated into the state of Polans, ruled by Piast dynasty.
    But i have found that some historians call those "tribal states" as militaristic monarchies in which the duke had to invade and raid border lands to be able to feed and pay his own too big military forces.

As for HRE it was organised after the pattern of Charlemagne. It was divided on counties and marks and duchies. Each Margrave (Markgraf) was appointed by king (or emperor) and was his lenient. However title was hereditary if was not loyal he could have been dissmissed and replaced by someone else. Even the dukes of Bavaria were somtimes deposed by the emperor (emperor Otto II and duke Henry the Wrangler or the Quarrelsome). HRE had already feudal character while mentioned Denmark, Hungary and Poland not. As for Veletii they remained tribal until their end.

As for the threat for the empire. None of thouse countries was a threat in the meaning that was able to conquer it. But each was raiding HRE and was able to take and occupy its parts. The Veletii when raised, have destroyed the Northern Mark, several times defeated imperial army and forces of border margraves. Hungarians tried to conquer Bavaria. Poles defeated german emperors several times and were ocasionally raiding german territories. There are accounts of german chroniclers saying that after devastating Polish raid on Saxony even grass wasnt growing there.
    During the reign of emperor Henry II in Germany and Boleslaw I the Brave of Poland, the second has invaded Germany and waged war against empire in years 1002-1018 which ended in his victory which allowed him to occupy and grab margraviate of Meissen and March of Lusatia.

Edited by Mosquito - 08-Sep-2010 at 15:29
    "I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
    Mosquito View Drop Down
    Caliph
    Caliph
    Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2010 at 15:10

Well, the Danes become once again a superpower when Canute(or  Knud) the Great became the king of Denmark, England, Norway and Sweden creating in fact scandinavian empire. By the way, Canute was half Polish. His mother Swietoslawa (known in nordic countries as Sigríð Storråda or in english as Sigrid the Haughty known also as Gunhild - the wife of king Sven Forkbeard was a daughter of Polish duke Mieszko I and sister of Boleslaw I the Brave. Thats explained how it happend that for the invasion of England he took with himself also hundrieds of Polish soldiers that he recived as help from his mighty brother in law Boleslaw I the Brave.
    Mosquito View Drop Down
    Caliph
    Caliph
    Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2010 at 15:27

First emperor was Otto I. But it doesnt matter, the system worked before the rulers get imperial title and were kings of Germany so since 911 AD. And even after 962 not every king of Germany was going to Italy to be crowned an emperor.
    Mosquito View Drop Down
    Caliph
    Caliph
    Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2010 at 15:48

I cant agree. Danes, Norwegians and Swedes until the half of 10th century, as well as Poles lived in some kind of tribal democracy. They had their tribal meetings where all free people were meeting. In scandinavia those meetings were called "Thing" and in slavic countries "Wiec". Till half of 10th century scandinavia was a conglomerate of tens of little kingdoms (because they called their little chieftains "kings") as well as Slavic lands where leader was known as "kniaz" later "ksiaze" what into english is translated as prince or duke. In all those countries they were elective, at least on the begining. Later those scandinavian and slavic dukes started to have some number of standing troops what streghtened their power and allowed them to introduce hereditary monarchy. For me it is clear that they were not able to introduce feudal system in short time and they cant be compared with France or England where feudalism had much longer history. It took much more time to make many of free men the paesanst who were bound to land and for king to get the power over people, the power which they didnt have in the past. Thats why i still claim that those states were in 10th and 11th century still more tribal than feudal.

From Wikipedia:

Viking and medieval society

In the pre-Christian clan-culture of Scandinavia the members of a clan were obliged to avenge injuries against their dead and mutilated relatives. A balancing structure was necessary to reduce tribal feuds and avoid social disorder. We know from the North-Germanic cultures the balancing institution was the ting although similar assemblies are reported also from other Germanic peoples and others.

The ting was the assembly of the free people of a country, province or a hundred (hundare/härad/herred). There were consequently hierarchies of tings, so that the local tings were represented at the higher-level ting, for a province or land. At the ting, disputes were solved and political decisions were made. The place for the ting was often also the place for public religious rites and for commerce.

The ting met at regular intervals, legislated, elected chieftains and kings, and judged according to the law, which was memorized and recited by the "law speaker" (the judge). The ting's negotiations were presided over by the law speaker and the chieftain or the king. In reality the ting was of course dominated by the most influential members of the community, the heads of clans and wealthy families, but in theory one-man one-vote was the rule.

Haugathing, the Thing for Vestfold in Norway, was located in Tønsberg at Haugar (from the Old Norse haugr meaning hill or mound). This site was one of Norway's most important place for the proclamation of kings. In 1130, Harald Gille called together a meeting at the Haugathing at which he was declared to be King of Norway. Sigurd Magnusson was proclaimed king in 1193 at the Haugathing. Magnus VII was acclaimed hereditary King of Norway and Sweden at the Haugathing in August 1319.[4]

A famous incident took place when Þorgnýr the Lawspeaker told the Swedish king Olof Skötkonung that it was the people that held power in Sweden and not the king. The king realized that he was powerless against the ting and gave in. Main things in Sweden were the Thing of all Swedes, the Thing of all Geats and the Lionga thing.

The island of Gotland had in late medieval time twenty tings, each represented at the island-ting called landsting by its elected judge. New laws were decided at the landsting, which also took other decisions regarding the island as a whole. The landsting's authority was successively eroded after the island was occupied by the Teutonic Order in 1398. In late medieval times the ting-court consisted of twelve representatives for the farmers, free-holders or tenants.

The Slavic Veche similarly developed from a general assembly into a legislature, and by some theories might have been directly inspired by the Scandinavian institution brought to Rus by the Varangians.

Veche (Russian: вече, Polish: wiec, Ukrainian: віче, Croatian: vijeće, Serbian: веће/veće, Old Church Slavonic: věšte) was a popular assembly in medieval Slavic countries, and in late medieval period.

Kievan Rus

The East Slavic veche/viche is thought to have originated in tribal assemblies of Eastern Europe, thus predating the Rus' state. It is not clear whether it was a purely Slavic development or it was based on the model of the Varangian Ting. The authority of the veche appears to have been stronger in the north, where the tradition of the Rus' Khaganate lived on.[citation needed]

The earliest mentions of veche in East European chronicles refer to examples in Belgorod Kievsky in 997, Novgorod the Great in 1016 and in Kiev in 1068. The assemblies discussed matters of war and peace, adopted laws, and called for and expelled rulers. In Kiev, the veche was summoned in front of the Cathedral of St Sophia.

Poland
    A wiec in the time of Poland's King Casimir III (reigned 1333-70).

According to the Chronicles of Gallus Anonymus, the first legendary Polish ruler, Siemowit, who began the Piast Dynasty, was chosen by a wiec. The idea of the wiec led in 1182 to development of the Polish parliament, the Sejm.

Edited by Mosquito - 08-Sep-2010 at 15:48
    Cryptic View Drop Down
    Arch Duke
    Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2010 at 16:17
    Originally posted by Mosquito

. In tribal society all the men were free except from slaves who were coming from prisoners of war. Every free man was a warior who was fighting in the wars of his tribes.
    Well said.  This is probably a factor in why Native Americans, despite being heavily out numbered in total population, were able to compete militarily with European settlers for many generations.

Edited by Cryptic - 08-Sep-2010 at 17:20
    opuslola View Drop Down
    Tsar
    Tsar
    suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2010 at 16:44
    Originally posted by Cryptic

. In tribal society all the men were free except from slaves who were coming from prisoners of war. Every free man was a warior who was fighting in the wars of his tribes.

Well said.  This is probably a factor in why Native Americans, despite being heavily out numbered in total population, were able to compete militarily with European settlers for many generations.

And, while it may not be politically correct to mention it, it also appears that many of the Native Tribes, also practiced slavery!

Having a group of mostly docile slaves left at the homestead, could also have contributed to the number of warriors available for combat?

It might also be considered that most of these slaves might well have been women, and ones mostly raised from childhood as slaves! Notice that I used the word "docile"!

Edited by Cryptic - 08-Sep-2010 at 17:20
    Cryptic View Drop Down
    Arch Duke
    Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2010 at 17:43
    Originally posted by opuslola

Having a group of mostly docile slaves left at the homestead, could also have contributed to the number of warriors available for combat? 

No doubt that this helped as well.  As to the eventual defeat of European and native American tribal societies, tribal societies do not perform well in long campaigns. 

Not only are their militaries centered around raiding, but tribesmen are far more autonomous as individuals than settled people.  As mosquito said, "every free tribesman man is a warrior". But... every tribal warrior or clan also has far more freedom to "un-volunteer" themselves from the war effort than settled peoples do. 

Edited by Cryptic - 08-Sep-2010 at 17:54
    Knight
    Knight
    Suspended

Quote Maximus Germanicus I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2010 at 03:24
    That wikipedia entry was wrong. The Danes had a King based society, same as the Saxons.

Thrall--Little better than Peasents
    Freeman-Laborers non land owners But in the middle class with Karls/Landsmen
    Landsmen/ Karls-Land owners
    Jarls (Thanes, Duke, sub kings became Earl in english))
    Huscarls (similar to Knight worked for the Nobility)
    King

Second Jomsvikings were not mixed with Slavs at all. The Founder of the Joms Vikings was part Welsh, not Slavic. They were in pomeriania, but did not mix witht the local population except, to attend to thier manly needs (wenching) as women and Children were not allowed in the City/Fortress or outsiders.

Thrall (Old Norse þræll; þír, m.) was the term for a slave in Scandinavian culture during the Viking Age. They were the lowest in the social order and usually provided unskilled labor during the Viking era.[1]

Thrall is from the Old Norse þræll meaning a person who is in bondage or slavery. Thralldom is a noun meaning the state of being in bondage; slavery; servitude. Enthrall, a verb literally meaning to enslave, is a linguistic remnant of this institution, though it is now mainly used as a metaphor.[2]

Like most medieval peoples, the Vikings had a rigidly stratified caste system. At the bottom of the social order existed those who were unfree: these were termed thrall, which literally meant, "an unfree servant." A person could become a thrall by giving himself up because of starvation, being captured and sold, or being born into a thrall family. The first was considered to be the most shameful way of entering slavery and was the first method of acquiring slaves to be forbidden.

Furthermore, a thrall had a certain social status, but to a lesser degree than other classes in the society, regarded somewhat like a domestic worker.[5]

The master of a thrall had the power of their life and death. A thrall might be a human sacrifice in the funeral of a Viking chief. A child born to a thrall woman was a thrall by birth, whereas a child born to a free woman was a free person even if the father was a thrall.[6]

Viking Social Structure

Viking society is traditionally described as highly stratified, with three classes as written into mythology, slaves (thrall), farmers (karl), and aristocracy (jarl or earl). Mobility was possible across the three strata; although slaves were really an exchange commodity, traded with the Arab caliphate as early as the 8th century, along with furs and swords.

Edited by Maximus Germanicus I - 10-Sep-2010 at 04:01
    Knight
    Knight
    Suspended

Quote Maximus Germanicus I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2010 at 03:35
    The Danish monarchy is over 1000 years old, making it the second oldest continual monarchy in the world still existing today. The first monarch the monarchy can be traced back to is Gorm the Old (d. 958). Originally the monarchy was elective, but in practice the eldest son of the reigning monarch was elected.

But here is the kick not everyone got a vote, it was much like the HRE where only certian men got the vote.

Notice it says there was a hierachy of tings, It was determined by your social status.
    Knight
    Knight
    Suspended

Quote Maximus Germanicus I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2010 at 03:40
    On a side note, I worked with some of your Bretheran the other day, task force white eagle in Afghanistan, wonderfull soldiers. I am really impressed with the changes since the last time I worked with the Poles back in 98. Back then I thought they were really good soldiers with just bad equipment. There equipment is top notch and well maintained now. They are really good warriors.

In a side note to that, there is a large amount of females assinged to the POl BDE, wow if I had females that hot around me I would never leave the base camp. On another side note it re enforced to me how much the media lies. We also have a French BDE, with a large amount of Females, they are all right, nothing to really write home about, but the POL girls are smoking hot. You would think that the French would be hotter (if you believe the hype), but no way.

Edited by Maximus Germanicus I - 10-Sep-2010 at 03:46
    Mosquito View Drop Down
    Caliph
    Caliph
    Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2010 at 08:03

That wikipedia entry was wrong. The Danes had a King based society, same as the Saxons.

Nope, the Danes like all the scandinavian and slavic tribes were democratic societes where later some people achieved higher status. Also ancient Germans were democratic societies that were electing kings. The existance of the TINGS and elections of kings are well documented, not only in saga's. Affcourse in the 10th century the kings strnghtened their power and had standing troops that allowed them to dominate the society but it was still far from feudalism. The Jarl was just the same man as other free man but had some his own troops and more land. But not the serfs (except for slaves - prisoners of war).

Royal title of Gorm and his descendants wasnt recognised by the Pope or the emperor so they were dukes on the international scene, they just called themselves "kings". And not free population was everywhere in Europe that time but was much smaller than free population. Some people became so called jarls because were richer than others.

Second Jomsvikings were not mixed with Slavs at all. The Founder of the Joms Vikings was part Welsh, not Slavic. They were in pomeriania, but did not mix witht the local population except, to attend to thier manly needs (wenching) as women and Children were not allowed in the City/Fortress or outsiders.

Jomsvikings were mixed with slavic population (not only local) in this meaning that they were accepting into their brotherhood also Wends/Vinds (in other words Slavs). In the end of 10th and begining of 11th century the slavic element was probably more numerous than scandinavian. They were on the isle of Wolin. By the way, they are there even today. In the 10th century they felt under rules of Polish rulers who had the right to accept or not accept their elected leader (Jomsvikinga saga). In some saga's we can see the jarl of Jomsborg being one of the men of Polish ruler who in saga's is always Burizleif king of Vindland (they called both Mieszko I and Boleslaw the Brave with this same name in saga's). The leader of Jomsvikings is jarl Sigvalde.

And here is the part of King Olaf Trygvasson saga:

The Danish king, Svein Tjuguskeg, was married to Gunhild, a daughter of Burizleif, king of the Vinds..(..)...Burizleif, the king of the Vinds, complained to his relation Earl Sigvalde, that the agreement was broken which Sigvalde had made between King Svein and King Burizleif, by which Burizleif was to get in marriage Thyre, Harald's daughter, a sister of King Svein: but that marriage had not proceeded, for Thyre had given positive no to the proposal to marry her to an old and heathen king. "Now," said King Burizleif to Earl Sigvalde, "I must have the promise fulfilled." And he told Earl Sigvalde to go to Denmark, and bring him Thyre as his queen. Earl Sigvalde loses no time, but goes to King Svein of Denmark, explains to him the case; and brings it so far by his persuasion, that the king delivered his sister Thyre into his hands. With her went some female attendants, and her foster-father, by name Ozur Agason, a man of great power, and some other people. In the agreement between the king and the earl, it was settled that Thyre should have in property the possessions which Queen Gunhild had enjoyed in Vindland, besides other great properties as bride-gifts.

Another part:
    King Svein made a magnificent feast, to which he invited all the chiefs in his dominions; for he would give the succession-feast,or the heirship-ale, after his father Harald....(..)...The Jomsborg vikings came to the festival with their bravest men, forty ships of them from Vindland, and twenty ships from Skane."

So, from the 60 ships on which the Jomsvikings came to visit king Sven who just become the king of Denmark - 40 were slavic.

On the side note - its interesting that most of people think that so called "Vikings" were always scandinavians (Danes, Swedes, Norwegians). There was also a lot of slavic vinkings that time:

In the book The Viking Art Of War (Chapter 'The Vikings and their neighbours), Paddy Griffith writes:
    "To the south-east of Denmark lay the Wends (Vends) or the Slav tribes, who were in many ways just as effective raiders and traders as the Vikings themselves".
    "The Slavs were always under threat of attack from the Vikings as well as the Franks."
    "They also gave as good as they got , in military terms, sacking Hedeby in 1000 and harrying Denmark, Gotland , Oland and southern Sweden to such an extent that the Western Baltic was sometimes called Mare Rugianorum after the Slavic pirates of Rugen. The prevalence of treasure-hoarding in southern Sweden during the 1000s has led modern archeologists to believe that the threat was indeed a very serious one, and the Icelandic sagas themselves often seem to assume that "Vikings" in the purely piratical sense were almost as likely to be Wends (Vends) as Scandinavians."

Edited by Mosquito - 10-Sep-2010 at 09:13
    Knight
    Knight
    Suspended

Quote Maximus Germanicus I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2010 at 09:36
    My friend you are incorrect abiut the hierarchal nature of viking society. I don't no what else I can tell you. The Vikings had slaves, germans did not. The vikings had very specific castes. If you bother reading any of the sagas you will see that.

I have provided you sources. Read them.

and no Slavs didn't mix with the Jomsvikings. They may have been in Poland, but were ruled stayed Scandanavian.

also the Viking age was over by the mid 950's so the fact that Jomsberg fell under the Poles in the 11th century has nothind to do with slavs being part of Jomsbergs. Thats like saying all the French are German becuas they were ruled by the Franks.

Here is your other problem:

In the late 10th century, the Polish dukes Mieszko I and Bolesław I Chrobry subdued parts of Pomerania and also fought the Volinians.[4] Despite a victory of Mieszko in a 967 battle, the Polish dukes did not succeed to subdue the area.[4]

In 1121/22, the Polish duke Bolesław III Wrymouth conquered the area along with the Duchy of Pomerania under Wartislaw I.

The area did not come under Polish rule until 1121. However Jomsberg was destoryed by the Norwegians in 1042. So there was no real Polish influence until 60 years after the destruction of the Fortress.

Were Slavs used as auxilleries, yes, were they used for wenching, were they in the brotherhood no. From what I have read on this topic and it has been quite a lot. The Joms Vikings were fervent about maintaining thier royal lines from Denmark, fervent in the worship of Odin and Thor and no outside religion was ever allowed in. In some was, most ways it was a rebellion against the Christianization of Denmark.

If you say the Wends mixed with what was left after the Norwegians destroyed it, then yeah.

That last line of your quote does not say the Wends were Vikings it reads Icelandic sagas themselves often seem to assume that "Vikings" in the purely piratical sense were almost as likely to be Wends (Vends) as Scandinavians."

Which means Pirates came from both sides, well duh, then the Friese were also considered vikings--The Tern Viking is not racial--To Viking meant to go raid, they never called themselves Vikings. They called other raider vikings also it was a term really like Pirate.

I know you are some kind of Slavic supremeist but you can't rewrite history to make the Slavs one of the mightiest tribes of europe. Next thing you will tell me is that the Normans were really Slavs, and well so was Shakespear

But really read more on the Norse social structure you will find a rigid strict society. That had slavery.

Edited by Maximus Germanicus I - 10-Sep-2010 at 09:39
    Knight
    Knight
    Suspended

Quote Maximus Germanicus I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2010 at 09:56
    Another problem you have is the term Wend, it did not refer to a tribe when used by the Norse, it applied to anyone who lived on the Baltic cost. The Rugii lived there also who were Germanic (they were called Wends also). The Rugii moved south with the Burgunduans who also lived in that area. But many Rugi stayed. The German tribes did mix with the Rani which was Slavic.  Which is ironic becuase they slavized the germans but they were re germanized under Ostsiedlung, then re slavized after WW2

What is also intresting is that there was a celtic tribe the Lemovici that orginated in that area, later moved into Gaul
    Mosquito View Drop Down
    Caliph
    Caliph
    Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2010 at 13:07

My friend you are incorrect abiut the hierarchal nature of viking society. I don't no what else I can tell you. The Vikings had slaves, germans did not. The vikings had very specific castes. If you bother reading any of the sagas you will see that.

I have provided you sources. Read them.

and no Slavs didn't mix with the Jomsvikings. They may have been in Poland, but were ruled stayed Scandanavian.

also the Viking age was over by the mid 950's so the fact that Jomsberg fell under the Poles in the 11th century has nothind to do with slavs being part of Jomsbergs. Thats like saying all the French are German becuas they were ruled by the Franks.

Here is your other problem:

In the late 10th century, the Polish dukes Mieszko I and Bolesław I Chrobry subdued parts of Pomerania and also fought the Volinians.[4] Despite a victory of Mieszko in a 967 battle, the Polish dukes did not succeed to subdue the area.[4]

In 1121/22, the Polish duke Bolesław III Wrymouth conquered the area along with the Duchy of Pomerania under Wartislaw I.

The area did not come under Polish rule until 1121. However Jomsberg was destoryed by the Norwegians in 1042. So there was no real Polish influence until 60 years after the destruction of the Fortress.

Were Slavs used as auxilleries, yes, were they used for wenching, were they in the brotherhood no. From what I have read on this topic and it has been quite a lot. The Joms Vikings were fervent about maintaining thier royal lines from Denmark, fervent in the worship of Odin and Thor and no outside religion was ever allowed in. In some was, most ways it was a rebellion against the Christianization of Denmark.

If you say the Wends mixed with what was left after the Norwegians destroyed it, then yeah.

That last line of your quote does not say the Wends were Vikings it reads Icelandic sagas themselves often seem to assume that "Vikings" in the purely piratical sense were almost as likely to be Wends (Vends) as Scandinavians."

Which means Pirates came from both sides, well duh, then the Friese were also considered vikings--The Tern Viking is not racial--To Viking meant to go raid, they never called themselves Vikings. They called other raider vikings also it was a term really like Pirate.

I know you are some kind of Slavic supremeist but you can't rewrite history to make the Slavs one of the mightiest tribes of europe. Next thing you will tell me is that the Normans were really Slavs, and well so was Shakespear

But really read more on the Norse social structure you will find a rigid strict society. That had slavery.

Maximus it is hard to disccus with you when your knowledge is mostly wikipedia based. Pomerania was somtimes part of Poland and somtimes wasnt. In the year 1000 it still was because that year king Boleslaw the Brave erected there Bishoprick. He lost the control over Pomerania a bit later when had to mobilise his forces against Emperor Henry II. He did win the war with the empire but lost Pomerania due to pagan rebellion. You can see on all the maps that Mieszko did rule Pomerania including Wolin island.

Jomsborg wasnt destroyed by Norwegians but by Danes. As for its dependancy from Polish ruler - this statement comes from scandinavians sources and from Thietmar of Merserburg - German bishop and chronicler.

As for Isle of Rugia (or Rugen) it was inhabittated by slavic tribe and was important centre of slavic pagan religion what is well known fact.

As for the notion Wends - it was always describing western Slavic people. And it is clear that in the sagas king of Poland is described as king of Wends/Vinds. While many things in sagas are fantastic or mixed with fantasy, the marriage of king Svein of Denmark with Polish princess was confirmed by German chroniclers who lived in the same time, Thietmar of Merserburg and Adam of Bremen. Im very astonished to see that you know so well and you are so sure if Wends were in Jomsborg brotherhood or not while iv been reading works of scandinavian historians who wrote that after year 1000 there was probably more Slavs in Jomsborg than Scandinavians.
    And Jomsborg was attacked by Danes because Jomsvikings raided Denmark. The king who did it just happend to be the king of Denmark and Norway.

Edited by Mosquito - 11-Sep-2010 at 00:34
    Mosquito View Drop Down
    Caliph
    Caliph
    Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2010 at 13:11

Another problem you have is the term Wend, it did not refer to a tribe when used by the Norse, it applied to anyone who lived on the Baltic cost. The Rugii lived there also who were Germanic (they were called Wends also). The Rugii moved south with the Burgunduans who also lived in that area. But many Rugi stayed. The German tribes did mix with the Rani which was Slavic.  Which is ironic becuase they slavized the germans but they were re germanized under Ostsiedlung, then re slavized after WW2

You seems to have knowledge that lack people who write books about vikings . Especially the theory about people who were reslavized after WW2 I find ridicullous. Could you please give any sources - especially German from the 10th or 11th century that claim that isle of Rugia was Germanic not Slavic? And I mean the people from Rugia in the 9th-12th century, not migrations of Germanic tribes in the 1th century.

Edited by Mosquito - 10-Sep-2010 at 13:19
    Mosquito View Drop Down
    Caliph
    Caliph
    Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2010 at 13:17

[QUOTE=Maximus Germanicus I]Another problem you have is the term Wend, it did not refer to a tribe when used by the Norse, it applied to anyone who lived on the Baltic cost. The Rugii lived there also who were Germanic (they were called Wends also). The Rugii moved south with the Burgunduans who also lived in that area. But many Rugi stayed. The German tribes did mix with the Rani which was Slavic.  Which is ironic becuase they slavized the germans but they were re germanized under Ostsiedlung, then re slavized after WW2

You seems to have knowledge that lack people who write books about vikings . Especially the theory about people who were reslavized after WW2 I find ridicullous. Could you please give any sources - especially German from the 10-11thth century that claim that isle of Rugia was Germanic not Slavic? And I mean the people from Rugia in the 9th-12th century, not migrations of Germanic tribes in the 1th century. However the isle took name from Germanic tribe who lived there centuries earlier......

Maximus you are mixing things more than icelandic saga's.....

chceck this topic too - unlike here in that debate took part several scandinavians:

Edited by Mosquito - 10-Sep-2010 at 13:51
    opuslola View Drop Down
    Tsar
    Tsar
    suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2010 at 21:06
    Have any of you guys ever looked into the society that existed in what we now call Greece, during this same period?
    http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
    Mosquito View Drop Down
    Caliph
    Caliph
    Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2010 at 01:42
    Originally posted by opuslola

Have any of you guys ever looked into the society that existed in what we now call Greece, during this same period?
    what do you mean?
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>