Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Arabic coins found in Gotland!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Arabic coins found in Gotland!
    Posted: 02-Jun-2010 at 07:52
Just how can we explain the great hoards of coins, hundreds of thousands from Arabian sources, found in Scandinavia and Gotland in particular?

http://www.gotmus.i.se/1engelska/skatter/engelska/introduction.htm

Regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
DreamWeaver View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2010 at 10:43
Scandanavian trade routes operated across Europe, use of rivers, Vikings and Scandanavians make into the Black Sea and Caspian Sea regions, contatc and trade with numerous Christian and Muslim cultures. Throw in some warfare, politcs and international trade and you can explain it.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2010 at 12:30
From my earlier site;

"During the 9th century, the vikings’ trading journeys to the vast Russian market underwent an expansion. The Early Viking Age silver hoards contained almost exclusively Arabic silver coins, so-called dirhams. They flowed in great quantities from the Islamic Empire to the towns along the Russian rivers and out towards the Baltic Sea Coast.

For each decade that passed, the number of coins in the hoards increased. The Gotlandic yields account for almost half of all the the 9th century dirhams found in Sweden. Of the total number of 689 000 Arabic, Volga-Bulgarian and Byzantine coins unearthed in Sweden, 513 000 come from Gotland."

Note especially these words;

"During the 9th century, the vikings’ trading journeys to the vast Russian market underwent an expansion. The Early Viking Age silver hoards contained almost exclusively Arabic silver coins, so-called dirhams. They flowed in great quantities from the Islamic Empire to the towns along the Russian rivers and out towards the Baltic Sea Coast."

The very beginning of the Islamic Calendar begins only in the Christian year 622,or the seventh century CE!

And, maybe two hundred years later Arabic coins are so prevalent that they seem to make up the greatest part of Viking loot, recovered from the area of Russia?

Please see;

http://www.witness-pioneer.org/vil/Books/MH_LM/arabia_before_islam.htm

And; http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/suttonlink/340ismap.html

What I am getting at is the use of the words Arabic coins! This cannot really mean coins minted in or around Arabia! It must be influenced by the finding of Arabic letters and words, upon these coins!

I might well make the assumption, that even if Arabic was found upon these coins, it might well be the "Eastern Arabic" variaty rather than our more common usage of the term Arabic Numerals?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_numerals

"Adoption in Russia
Cyrillic numerals were a numbering system derived from the Cyrillic alphabet, used by South and East Slavic peoples. The system was used in Russia as late as the early 1700s when Peter the Great replaced it with Arabic numerals."

But, it seems that history tells us that Cyrillic numerals were used by most South and East Slavic peoples, with Russia, only adopting the Arabic numerals in the early 18th century! So, this vast horde of coins might not it seems, have made up a vast part of the coinage to be found within Russia or its neighbors, before the 13th century at least?

Maybe these "Arabic" coins made there way to Scandanavia, via the Western Arabic world instead?

Regards,

http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
DreamWeaver View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2010 at 03:41
There's noting odd about it. Firstly Arabic does not have to mean Arabia.  Arabic inscriptions are found on coins throughout the Muslim world. These coins dont neccessarily have to have come from Arabia, they could have come from anywhere in the Middle East. Secondly with the expansion of Islam into the former lands of the Sassanians and Byznatium they inherited an already existant and well established monetary economy, its not a hard task to change the designs for the minting process. Thirdly the coinage of the Muslim world often remained much more stable than its European counterparts, less debasement of the gold/silver value of the coins, therefore a much better and prefered unit to deal with and hoard. Finally places such as Kiev were excellent centres fo exchange and trade between the Scandanavian World and the Muslim World, thus making the possibility of the transference of the coins entireyl possible.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2011 at 19:14
No doubt Viking traders brought them back after a successful business trip selling slaves, carved soapstone, metalwork and plundered treasure
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2011 at 22:34
Well, Roman coins have been found at Oc Eo, in what is today Vietnam's Mekong Delta. Species, i.e. gold, silver, copper, tin, and zinc, have their own values irrespective of their face value. And, unless debased, they have the advantage of providing something of measurable worth. An Ecuadorian silver dollar was used in commerce in Puerto Rico prior to the Spanish American War, and Mexican Silver Dollars were quite common in China during the early 20th Century. And the doubloon was certainly not an English coin. So, coins with Arabic writing in Scandinavia dating to the Viking age? Of course. Maybe some day they'll dredge up a few T'ang dynasty coins in some Viking hoard. Though being of bronze and iron, such would have more likely ended up in a armorer's forge.  

Edited by lirelou - 05-Dec-2011 at 22:35
Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá gì
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2011 at 19:36
Silver coins would also have been melted down to make jewelery. The Vikings frequently decorated their swords with intricate silver thread designs
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2012 at 08:32
King Offa minted coins with Arabic inscriptions. Was he a convert to Islam, or was the inscription intended to prove his coin's legitimacy as a trading piece in the Middle East?
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2012 at 10:05
Roman and Arabic coins have been found at Native American sites up and down the East Coast of the US, of course they just floated there on a wreck or something sim.ConfusedWink  And yes, that's sarcasm.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2012 at 08:50
Could the Vikings have brought them over to trade with the Indians?
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2012 at 10:38
Yes, absolutely possible.  However the scope of areas found in, is much broader than the known viking routes.  And yes they would have been traded out to other tribes or groups.

But many coins found are distinctly Roman and usually date to 1st or 2nd cent.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2012 at 12:01
The Byzantines probably still used the old Roman coins. The Vikings would have acquired these to melt down into jewelry and traded them with the Indians for furs.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2012 at 01:24
Nick, there's considerable evidence the Irish were here as well, the Celts before them.  As I've mentioned before, In the river valley system I live in there have been many artifacts found with inscriptions going from runic to Iberian and Tartession.  Any of these folks could have and probaly did use coins for trade.

But, as you pointed out,  there were a lot of old Roman coins still around.  So how do we distinguish the coins that arrived in the 1st Cent, from the latecomers.  And if we can't reasonably do that,  then how do you rule out 1st Cent. direct trade with the RE?

Unknown.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2012 at 08:00
How did the Irish make it across the Atlantic? I thought the Vikings only managed it because they had advanced ships
JohnAshtone View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote JohnAshtone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2012 at 06:40
A note to Red Clay there have been many Roman coin finds in North America, including a parking meter in Los Angeles, perhaps  'Marcus Aurelius COMMODUS Antoninus Augustus' parked his wagon there when escaping 'Maximus Decimus Meridius who is out to get his revenge in this world or the next.

There is NO evidence whatsoever that either Irish or Romans ever went to North America, the Vikings went but other than that nothing but Hoaxes, wrong headedness or silliness in the extreme has been found to suggest any contact between Europe and North America.

The Romans had no reason to even try and go further than they could see, they only came to Britannia to stop the tribes here supplying arms to the Gauls, and also they saw a good return on the investment by mining tin, trade and protection of trade were the Roman driving forces.

And whilst Tim Sevrin proved that a person in the 20th Century could navigate to North America in a leather boat, his compatriot Michael O'Leary flies Ryanair to the US in a simpler easier manner and makes much more money, although Sevrin had big sales of his book, and that was his driving force, profit.

Again not one shred of evidence the Irish ever went, and the writings he got his inspiration from probably refer to Iceland at the furthest, and more likely Norway.

No Roman nor contemporary or Irish lol ever went to North Amercia and the idea is in the very silly class of ideas, save it for fantasy sites, not those purporting to support proper History.

Quis Custodiet ipsos custodes, Juvenal. Or as George Smiley would say ~Who will Guard the Guardians~
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2012 at 07:55
Originally posted by JohnAshtone

A note to Red Clay there have been many Roman coin finds in North America, including a parking meter in Los Angeles, perhaps  'Marcus Aurelius COMMODUS Antoninus Augustus' parked his wagon there when escaping 'Maximus Decimus Meridius who is out to get his revenge in this world or the next.

There is NO evidence whatsoever that either Irish or Romans ever went to North America, the Vikings went but other than that nothing but Hoaxes, wrong headedness or silliness in the extreme has been found to suggest any contact between Europe and North America.

The Romans had no reason to even try and go further than they could see, they only came to Britannia to stop the tribes here supplying arms to the Gauls, and also they saw a good return on the investment by mining tin, trade and protection of trade were the Roman driving forces.

And whilst Tim Sevrin proved that a person in the 20th Century could navigate to North America in a leather boat, his compatriot Michael O'Leary flies Ryanair to the US in a simpler easier manner and makes much more money, although Sevrin had big sales of his book, and that was his driving force, profit.

Again not one shred of evidence the Irish ever went, and the writings he got his inspiration from probably refer to Iceland at the furthest, and more likely Norway.

No Roman nor contemporary or Irish lol ever went to North Amercia and the idea is in the very silly class of ideas, save it for fantasy sites, not those purporting to support proper History.

You could have put it a little more tactfully, but i'm inclined to agree on one point: it was probably the Vikings who brought plundered Roman, Arabic and Irish coins as there's archaeological evidence of Viking settlements in Canada
JohnAshtone View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote JohnAshtone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2012 at 04:45
Yes Nick I was perhaps a little harsh with you, however it was the way you posted about the Coins turning up, which seemed to me to infer it was a mystery, when in fact no mystery is there.

As this is a site that promotes accuracy, I was to say the least fuming, it is bad enough having loonies about in the first place without giving them ammunition to back up a fiction.

I am now probably going to upset some on this site by being reasonable, but defending what to some is indefensible, the term 'Dark Ages' lol.

Quis Custodiet ipsos custodes, Juvenal. Or as George Smiley would say ~Who will Guard the Guardians~
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2012 at 10:23
Originally posted by JohnAshtone

Yes Nick I was perhaps a little harsh with you, however it was the way you posted about the Coins turning up, which seemed to me to infer it was a mystery, when in fact no mystery is there.

As this is a site that promotes accuracy, I was to say the least fuming, it is bad enough having loonies about in the first place without giving them ammunition to back up a fiction.

I am now probably going to upset some on this site by being reasonable, but defending what to some is indefensible, the term 'Dark Ages' lol.

Harsh, narrow minded and confrontational.  You were fuming? No wheres near what I was after reading your standard regurgitation of the thick headed isolationist mantra, and being referred to as a" loonie" releases me from any restraint.
This site promotes accuracy, it also is enlightened enough to entertain ideas that have previously been ignored.  The old isolationist tactic of calling any evidence of contact a "hoax" won't fly here. It's your only option, I realize this, as there is no way to prove no contact. 

You come waltzing in here, 19 posts, which makes you a newbie, and promptly attack both Nick and I.  John, your concern about upsetting anyone comes a little late, as you already have pushed it to where I feel comfortable in saying to you, Bulls**t.

It's not surprising that you would choose to defend the term Dark Ages, as you seem to be living in them still.

An empty isolationist retort.  I can very easily say prove this, but you can't, you can only deny any evidence to the contrary. 

John, if this is an example of what your going to contribute here, and the manner in which you will present it, go somewhere else, please.

Edited by red clay - 06-Dec-2012 at 10:35
Unknown.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2012 at 11:06
Red, it's OK. I don't think John meant to cause offence. John, as you're new here, please read this:
http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6512&FID=3&PR=3
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2012 at 11:18
It seems to me that he new exactly what he was doing and thought this would impress us somehow. 

It's not okay.  I am very tired of this type of nonsense.  I repeat, if this is an example of what he intends to contribute, and the way he will present it, there's other places he can go.

Unknown.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>