Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Crusades- Share your view

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
DreamWeaver View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Crusades- Share your view
    Posted: 01-Jun-2010 at 17:51
That the Papacy gained from control of the Crusading ideal is beyond a doubt. They very well may have belived what they were doing was entirely justifiable, but if the masses of christendom could be turned against one enemy then it could be tunred against another. Gregory VII and Urban II existed within the context of the Investiture Contests whilst Honorius III, Gregory IX, Urban IV had to contedn with a resurgent Holy Roman Empire, who were as much a threat to them as the Muslims of the Levant ever were. That they could use the crusades as a call to secure their own position and power is evident in the 14th and 15th Centuries when they use it as a means to attack their politcal rivals. That said the 14th/15th Century Papacy and the ideas of crusading are a different kettle of fish to 1095-1291.
bcoakes97 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote bcoakes97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2010 at 19:46
Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has called there war "Scares" and/or wars between Middle Eastern countries/groups and the United States "Our Crusades". What propaganda! He is just trying to motivate the rest of the Middle Eastern world to support him, but what he forgets is that most of those countries he is reaching out to hate Iran. Anyways how is this your "Crusade"Ahmadinejad? How is this have anything to do with a war between religions?
historynut91 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote historynut91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2010 at 20:59

well if Alexius I had not sent the calls for aid then there might not have ever been any crusades and the reason he sent those call was due to Turkish aggression as the Byzantine empire just couldn't hold them at bay.

something i have always wondered is did the crusades ultimately speed up the fall of the Byzantine empire or prolong it?
"war is delightful to those who have no experience of it"-Erasmus
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2010 at 05:22
Crusading itself initially prolonged the life of Byzantium. The decades of Comneni rule under Alexius, John and Manuel in the 12th Century saw an expansion and resurgence of the Byznatine empire. Manuel is assisting attacks on Egypt in the 1160's and 70's. However after defeat at Myriocephalum, the internal disorder of the 1180's/90's things began to go a bit downhill. But that isnt to say that Byzantiums decline would have been inevitable. 1204 however was a wound that Byzantium simply could not recover from. If the 4th Crusade has gone according to plan and not to Constantinople then it isentirely possible that the Empire may have continued in a stronger state for much longer.

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2010 at 13:05
DreamWeaver I picked up "The First Crusade; a new history" by Thomas Asbridge - Oxford Press. What do you know about this historian? So far it look great but I have only read the Intro and a small part of chapter one.

Edited by eaglecap - 24-Jun-2010 at 14:35
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
historynut91 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote historynut91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2010 at 16:57
hy i myself just ordered that book off of amazon today, looking forwerd to itSmile
"war is delightful to those who have no experience of it"-Erasmus
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2010 at 18:41
Dream Weaver, wrote;

"That the Papacy gained from control of the Crusading ideal is beyond a doubt. They very well may have belived what they were doing was entirely justifiable, but if the masses of christendom could be turned against one enemy then it could be tunred against another. Gregory VII and Urban II existed within the context of the Investiture Contests whilst Honorius III, Gregory IX, Urban IV had to contedn with a resurgent Holy Roman Empire, who were as much a threat to them as the Muslims of the Levant ever were. That they could use the crusades as a call to secure their own position and power is evident in the 14th and 15th Centuries when they use it as a means to attack their politcal rivals. That said the 14th/15th Century Papacy and the ideas of crusading are a different kettle of fish to 1095-1291."

Wow! I am impressed! It seems you have hit the fish's mouth upon the head! I do hope you realize just what the "fish's mouth" really means and suggests?

But, I can only argue to a degree, about the motives of some of the Popes!

Certainly some of them might well have had their "senses" and not have been senile, but it seems that the "curia", did not really want to elect someone that had any sense at all? What they needed was an involutary "yes man", to follow their lead, and just sign on the dotted line! This poor man (as some Popes were described to be) was just to be the "Judas Goat",if things went wrong! And, if they did, these old senile men could easily die! As apparently from the length of time so many of them reportedly served, did!

But, the rest of your post was excellent!
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2010 at 05:03
Thomas Asbridge is good, he's recently published a history of the crusades in general, which isnt to bad (my own personal biases aside) he writes in a very engaging and easy to read manner which makes his quite enhoyable and an excellent starting place for anybody with an interest. As a scholar he's relatively new on the scene bu certainly very up and coming and is probably going to be one of those who take the field on into new directions. He one of the new cadre of crusade historians, like Jonathan Phillips and TF Madden, who are beginning to replace Edbury, Riley-Smith, France, Prawer etc. He was also the historical adviser to Kingdom of Heaven, until he became so infuriated with the production staff that he resigned. He had his First Crusade book (the one pictured) published just before he took up that post. He's good, I highly recommend him.
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2010 at 05:09
Originally posted by opuslola

But, I can only argue to a degree, about the motives of some of the Popes!

Certainly some of them might well have had their "senses" and not have been senile, but it seems that the "curia", did not really want to elect someone that had any sense at all? What they needed was an involutary "yes man", to follow their lead, and just sign on the dotted line! This poor man (as some Popes were described to be) was just to be the "Judas Goat",if things went wrong! And, if they did, these old senile men could easily die! As apparently from the length of time so many of them reportedly served, did!

But, the rest of your post was excellent!

Periods of weak popes, periods of strong popes, all a question of who is controling the Curia. Gregory VII, Innoncet III, Gregory IX, Innocent IV and Boniface VIII would harldy be considered weak old men (Innoncent III was uncharacteristcally young) to sit in the See of St Peter, though certainly it would be of immense benefit to the curia or anyone else for that to be the case. Honorius III all but bends over backwards for Frederick II. Hadrian IV,Celestine V, Clement V, on the other hand would be also similar.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2010 at 10:24
Too bad I could not get into the medieval program at Boise State University in Boise, Idaho. You had to know Latin and or Greek to enter the program. I attened Eastern Washingtons U. history program instead.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2010 at 14:39
I quit my history major when my professor in World History asked a question in class concerning "tides"!

I stated that "tides" (note the rising of water levels of seas, oceans, etc. on a daily basis) were mostly a product of the gravitational effects of both the Moon and the Sun!

Dr. Marcus W. Orr, my professor, told the class that I was a fool, and that the ocean tides were merely caused by the rocking of the Earth on its axis!

I then realized that as a Department Head, I might well not be well received by the esteemed Dr., if I proceeded in my History major!

Note, the late Dr. Orr, was also confined to a wheelchair, and was mostly an asshole! Sorry to speak bad about the dead, but "facts is facts!"
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2010 at 17:40
Latin and a European Language are certainly helpful. French and Latin will certainly see you through most of the middle ages. That said here in the UK you can get by relatively fine in medieval history without them, there is an awful lot that has been translated. However there is only so far one can go. I maganged to go through my entire undergraduate without using either. Postgraduate it became a neccessity.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2010 at 13:18

Having read the web-site shown by "historynut91", I have certain reservations about these words; "Even with smart technologies, the United States has killed far more innocents in our wars than the Crusaders ever could. But no one would seriously argue that the purpose of American wars is to kill women and children."

It seems that "smart technologies" only existed within the last 20 or so years, even less? And, it is specific that the site mentioned only the United States! So, even with the mentions in crusader history of the massacre of entire cities men, women and children, over a period of hundreds of years, the author of the site has concluded that the United States has in less than 20 years "killed far more innocents in our wars than the Crusaders ever could.!"

I would classify those words as pejorative and inflamatory!

I certainly do not think the possession of "smart technology" has killed more "innocents" than the hundreds of years of crusading did!

Just how many "innocents" have been killed in the last 20 years by "smart technology?" A technology designed to do just the opposite!

It seems the author(s) are but another group of American haters!

But, it seems this is to be expected!

But, of course the writers of the site, obviously included the world wars and other wars that the USA has been involved with, where the number of "innocent deaths" are merely the result of greater populations and better death dealing weapons!

If the crusaders had similar weapons, the war in the Levant would have been over in close order! Infidels were expected to die! And, I don't think that any of the crusaders would have had the least worry about killing as many of these "innocent" people as possible!

Opus this would make a great thread elsewhere but I see no connection to this one so please veer back on topic. I always appreciate you posts and I am glad you are with us.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2010 at 13:52
Eaglecap, if I posted the above quoted words here, then I was too drunk to know where I was! But, I will try to watch where I place my posts from now on!

I certainly enjoy reading the posts of so many educated men and women! I just wish I was so inclined?

But, I just plod along with my ingrained prejudices and out-dated ideas!
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2010 at 17:00

Eaglecap, if I posted the above quoted words here, then I was too drunk to know where I was! But, I will try to watch where I place my posts from now on!

I certainly enjoy reading the posts of so many educated men and women! I just wish I was so inclined?

But, I just plod along with my ingrained prejudices and out-dated ideas!

I think we all plod along at one time or another here-
ConradWeiser View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote ConradWeiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2010 at 16:05
Also "The Politically Incorrect Guide to Islam and the Crusades" by Robert Spencer. 

Ugghhh. This is an AWFUL book. Make sure you stay away from this.

-----

For a quick and informative read related to the Crusades, try Sea of Faith by Stephen O'Shea. 

Edited by ConradWeiser - 30-Jun-2010 at 16:09
Another year! Another deadly blow!
Another mighty empire overthrown!
And we are left, or shall be left, alone.
-William Wordsworth
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2010 at 19:47
Thanks, "Bud!"

May I call you "Bud?"

Avoid it like a "Miller!"
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2010 at 03:27
Its a wonderful book......................in its terribleness
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2010 at 11:27
Originally posted by ConradWeiser

<span apple-style-span="Apple-style-span" style="-webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px; ">
Also "The Politically Incorrect Guide to Islam and the Crusades" by Robert Spencer. 
</span>
<span apple-style-span="Apple-style-span" style="-webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px; "></span>
<span apple-style-span="Apple-style-span" style="-webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px; ">Ugghhh. This is an AWFUL book. Make sure you stay away from this.</span>
<span apple-style-span="Apple-style-span" style="-webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px; "></span>
<span apple-style-span="Apple-style-span" style="-webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px; ">-----</span>
<span apple-style-span="Apple-style-span" style="-webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px; ">For a quick and informative read related to the Crusades, try Sea of Faith by Stephen O'Shea. </span>

Well then we can agree to disagree, but if it comes to close to the truth then I can understand your dislike for it.   

Are you a Muslim?

For a quick and informative read related to the Crusades, try Sea of Faith by Stephen O'Shea.

I could check it out but I think I am beyond quick reads. I do have a Masters in history afterall. It still might be good so thanks!

Edited by eaglecap - 01-Jul-2010 at 11:32
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2010 at 14:14
I read some reviews of O'Shea's book and they make it look very interesting!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>