Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Crusades- Share your view

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Crusades- Share your view
    Posted: 06-May-2010 at 14:05
You are correct it is tangential to the subject at hand! Sorry for the interruption!

Regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2010 at 13:10
what is this thread about? If it is about the Crusades then we need to stay focused.

Are there any other great scholars on CD, besides Madden, who speaks about the Crusades?
I have a large book about the Fourth Crusade by I think Donald Nicol which I keep hoping to read.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
DreamWeaver View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2010 at 19:14
David Nicolle?

He's not really a great scholar. He good on military history and medieval arms and armour dont get me wrong, but as a more academic historian, not really. Though he has published profusely through the medium of Osprey Books, but not exactly a world class expert.

I cant think of any particular well known works on CD off the top of my head, books yes, CDs not really. Though the History Channel did a TV series a few years ago called The Crescent and the Cross (its on youtube) which took a middle of the road view on matters (raising controversial ideas and questions but giving neutral responses) and it did include some big names and well known faces from European/American and Middle Eastern academia.

Stay away from Terry Jone's Crusades though, he's talking out of his arse.....really....there could be none more ignorant and with a bigger axe to grind.
historynut91 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote historynut91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2010 at 15:19

why exactly did pope Urban call the first crusade, what were his motives, was it for spiritual or secular gains

"war is delightful to those who have no experience of it"-Erasmus
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2010 at 15:35
Hard to say really isnt it. All accounts of Pope Urban II's speech are written after the success of the First Crusade, therefore hard to tell exactly what is hindsight.

Secular or Spiritual, well that cuts to the two major camps and theories of crusading, answer will heavily depend upon which one you fall into.

That Urban II should call a crusade was not in itself a monumentous event, the build up of militant christianity and the association of military action as a part of justified holy war had taken place over the preceeding centuries, now coming to its apogee.

Since 1054 the Church of Rome and the Orthodox Chruch in the East had 'officially' been at odd. A letter asking assistance from the Byzantine Emperor Alexius I Comeneus in 1095 provided an ample opportuntiy for a process of negotiation adn good will that might heal the rift. It is highly likely that Urban II called the crusade to achieve such an end. Thus his motives may be spiritual in the sense that he desired the union of the 2 churhces, or politcal in that he wished to increase Papal supremacy in the East. Spiritual that he truly believed that the remission of sins he granted for participation in the Crusade would be of benefit to those who took the cross. Political that he could now call or 'control' masses of military to a directed end, for use against church enemies, be they muslims of the Holy Roman Emperor (for these were the years of the Invesiture Contest with Henry IV). The examples could go on.

One thing that can be argued though is that Jerusalem, and thereby the setting up of Latin kingdoms in the East, was not the original intended goal of the Crusade, atleast at Urban II called it, but rather a by product taken upon by the actual crusading armies themselves. That is that it was not Urban's plan all along for the recapture of Jerusalem but that the Army of the First Crusade under its Leadership decided that Jerusalem should be the target, whilst on cmapaign. As I said above this is in part becuase all of the accounts of the speech itself do not appear until after the rather miraculous success of the First Crusade.
C. Isaurikon View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote C. Isaurikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2010 at 16:59
They became necessary after the Byzantines let themselves go and dropped the ball.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2010 at 17:34
I actually have a book entitled "The Fourth Crusade and the Sack of Constantinople", written by Jonathan Phillips in my very reach right now!

Have any of you ever heard of him?

I have a bunch of pages crimped on the corners concerning certain things I thought worthwile!

Maybe I should share some of them?

Regards,
Janissary
Janissary

Quote C. Isaurikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2010 at 18:43
Sure, please do, opuslola. I have read this book cover to cover, though have not picked it up in three years.

Have you had a chance to read the primary sources directly? Villehardouin, Niketas Choniates etc?
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2010 at 18:48
Vilehardouin, Yes! But, Niketas Choniates, No!~

But, even the name of "Ville-Hardouin", fills me with a stomach cramp!

That is his name means "From the village of Hardouin!"

And, just which writer tried to disolve all of ancient history?

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADBR_enUS315US315&q=hardouin++ancient+history

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADBR_enUS315US315&q=villehardouin++ancient+history

Edited by opuslola - 09-May-2010 at 18:52
Janissary
Janissary

Quote C. Isaurikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2010 at 18:57
Are you disdainful of Choniates' work, or is it simply something you have not had the chance to get stuck into? I am uncertain what your exclamation mark implies.

As for which writer tried to dissolve all of ancient history, I would say a great many have had a crack at it for political or ideological reasons.
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2010 at 07:50
http://visualiseur.bnf.fr/CadresFenetre?O=NUMM-51569&M=telecharger&Y=Image

Niceta Choniates (and others) for you. Dependinf on your Greek or Latin skills, from the RHC Grecs I.

Janissary
Janissary

Quote C. Isaurikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2010 at 17:49
I don't speak French, sorry.
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2010 at 06:21
If you dont speak French (but do Latin/Greek) thne click the 'OK' button on the page that loads, wait for it to laod and then click the higlighted blue section of text 'cliquant ici' the RHC Grecs I then loads as a pdf.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2010 at 08:10
"Are you disdainful of Choniates' work, or is it simply something you have not had the chance to get stuck into? I am uncertain what your exclamation mark implies."

No, not a all! I did not intend for my mark to imply such! Sorry for the mistake!

I know enough to say that the two works do not mesh, but that is to be expected from any accounts that might be found from both sides of a conflict!

Regards,
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2010 at 11:57
We need to keep this about the Crusades and not the Iraq war, otherwise, I will close it!

You are welcome to create another thread about this but this is totally off topic. It is ok to veer some but not this much.   
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2010 at 15:08
Since we're on the 4th Crusade I shall ask the obvious and over used question.

Was the Sack of Constantinople a....

A series of unfortunate events, or a Venertian plot?

I apolgise to all.LOL
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2010 at 16:21
Since Dante' did not write in English, I would like to know just how his words were translated such;

"Oh foolish race of Man, How overwhelming is they ignorance!"

Should not it have been translated as "Thy" or is "They" an accepted plural form?

Certainly Venice had its capricious and usurious needs in this conflict! There is no reason to not believe that they played both sides in this encounter to their own benefit!

Unfortunate, is not a word that would be or should be used to describe this Empire at this time, which was hemmorhaging both its empire and its money in a manner that could not be stopped. This empire had become effiminate and weak for many previous years, and it was just a matter of time that it would fall! The crusaders may well have added a few years to its existance as a Christian city! And, at the least, a great deal of very important works of art and literature was most likely saved when these crusader monks, clerics, and knights, appropriated a lot of it and sent it back home!

Regards,
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2010 at 17:43
No thats not Dante thats just my Typo.

So you see the Latin Conquest as giving it a boost, helping it, adding another 50 years to its life expectancy then?

As opposed to what man may argue as being a crippling blow from which the Byzantines nevere really recovered.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2010 at 20:29
DW, wrote;

"So you see the Latin Conquest as giving it a boost, helping it, adding another 50 years to its life expectancy then?

As opposed to what man may argue as being a crippling blow from which the Byzantines nevere really recovered."

Exactly! The Bizarre Empire was ready to be taken off of the grill a few years earlier, becaause it was "done!" Assailed from all sides, bled in payments to the same, bedeviled at home with debauchery et al!

Just like the Obama administration; "It is/was time for you/them to go!"

Regards,

Edited by opuslola - 11-May-2010 at 20:30
Maximus Germanicus View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Suspended

Quote Maximus Germanicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2010 at 23:03

The initial mission of the crusades was laudable-- Pilgrims were being harassed and based on the current mindset of the time they believed it was God’s will. But like so many times man corrupts.

One huge fall out was the devastation of the Byz empire. Had the crusaders joined up with Byz and fought the turks and other Arab states the world would be much different now.

Instead the crusaders couldn't look past the small differences they had, sacked cons. and devastated their Armies in modern day turkey.

Without the Byz protecting southern and Eastern Europe the Turks swept in and eventually got all the way to Vienna. I would argue that the Ottoman wars were simply a continuation of the crusades

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Vienna

The Siege of Vienna in 1529 was the first attempt by the Ottoman Empire, led by Suleiman the Magnificent, to capture the city of Vienna, Austria. The siege signalled the pinnacle of the Ottoman Empire's power, the maximum extent of Ottoman expansion in central Europe (see Ottoman wars in Europe), and was the result of a long-lasting rivalry with Europe. Thereafter, 150 years of bitter military tension and reciprocal attacks ensued, culminating in the Battle of Vienna in 1683, which marked the start of the Great Turkish War by European powers to remove the Ottoman presence.

The Ottoman failure to capture Vienna in 1529 turned the tide against almost a century of unchecked conquest throughout eastern and central Europe, which had previously claimed Southeastern Hungary as a vassal state in the wake of the Battle of Mohács. According to Toynbee, "The failure of the first [siege of Vienna] brought to a standstill the tide of Ottoman conquest which had been flooding up the Danube Valley for a century past."[5]

There is speculation by some historians that Suleiman's main objective in 1529 was in actuality to reassert Ottoman control over Hungary, the western part of which still held out as an independent monarchy known as Royal Hungary. The decision to attack Vienna after such a long interval in Suleiman's European campaign is viewed as an opportunistic manoeuvre after his decisive victory in Hungary. Other scholars theorize that the suppression of Hungary simply marked the prologue to a later, premeditated invasion of Europe.[6]

The Turks lost at least 15,000 men dead and wounded in the fighting, plus at least 5,000 men captured and all cannons, compared to approximately 4,500 dead and wounded for the Habsburg-Polish forces.

The loot that fell into the hands of the Holy League troops and the Viennese was as huge as their relief, as King Sobieski vividly described in a letter to his wife a few days after the battle:

Ours are treasures unheard of ... tents, sheep, cattle and no small number of camels ... it is victory as nobody ever knew of, the enemy now completely ruined, everything lost for them. They must run for their sheer lives ... Commander Starhemberg hugged and kissed me and called me his savior.[citation needed]

This emotional expression of gratitude did not distract Starhemberg from ordering the immediate repair of Vienna's severely damaged fortifications, guarding against a possible Turkish counter-strike. However, this proved unnecessary. The victory at Vienna set the stage for Prince Eugene of Savoy's re-conquering of Hungary and (temporarily) some of the Balkan countries within the following years. Austria signed a peace treaty with the Ottoman Empire in 1699.

Long before that, the Turks had disposed of their defeated commander. On 25 December 1683, Kara Mustafa Pasha was executed in Belgrade (in the approved manner, by strangulation with a silk rope pulled by several men on each end) by order of the commander of the Janissaries.

So IMO the Crusades didn't end until nearly 1700

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>