Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Crusades- Share your view

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
historynut91 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote historynut91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Crusades- Share your view
    Posted: 30-Apr-2010 at 21:27
i have started this topic so we can discuss all aspects of the crusades which i have recently begun taking a large interest in and look forward to any inputs

feel free to talk about anything on the them, the Reconquista, reasons for going, battles, individual characters or even a "what if" scenario as i feel they are vary misunderstood and am looking for calm mature debate about them because i am sick of biased people on youtube answering every question you put to them with a f**k you! 

here's a website with an excellent objective view on them looking at the whole picture
"war is delightful to those who have no experience of it"-Erasmus
DreamWeaver View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2010 at 17:10
Always a good topic and one I'll always badger on in to the annoyance of everybody around me.

Some form of objectivism is good, and with a controversial topic such as the Crusades always one in dire need. However I fear it will inevitably get to the shouting and f**k you stage eventually. But hey lets try out best.

Thomas F Madden, he's not bad though I dont entirely agree with everything he has to say. I think that he's maybe a little bit overrated, he certainly seems popular amongst Ameircan Historians, or at least in my humble experiances, please someone correct me if Im worng there.

However he, and many other writers, often miss out the rather crucial and significant factors concerning the actual relationships between the Kingdom of Jerusalem and the other Crusader States and the West, once the First Crusade is over, as a reason for further crusading effort. Once these entities are established and then later imperiled, they self fuflfill the need for crusading, as long as they exist, there has to be a call to crusade. Only made worst after such distaters as 1144, 1187 and 1244. Thsi aspect is often overlooked

Madden's discussion concerning the relations between Islam and the West after 4 centuries, the rough period of time between the loss of Jerusalem and its recapture in the First Crusade, is a bit of an oversimplification. Its 'easy' to see and expalin the matter in these terms. But if the Crusades were really the 'counter attack' of a paranoid Christendom, then they were ab it delayed in coming. Wich is one reason why Ive nevr found it a thoroughly convincing argument.
Janissary
Janissary

Quote historynut91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2010 at 21:38
From what i have read the crusader states never truly got on, their were always feuds, power struggles and disagreements such as Raymond of Tripoli and his secret agreement with saladin that led to the disaster at the springs of cresson.

Their military weakness was due to the crusades in general as most people returned home after completing it leaving the defence of outremer to the hospitallers and templars which was too much of a burden for them to carry, this was one of the reasons richard didn't attack jerusalem in the third crusade as he knew he wouldn't be able to hold it.

i also cant help but think that if they had followed Raymond's advice to stay put during the lead up to the Horns of Hattin the crusading army would not have walked into the slaughter at Hattin and instead the roles might have been reversed
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2010 at 05:04
I think that if you look at the Crusader States and then compare them to their counterparts in Europe at the time then you will find that they are no more strife ridden then anywhere else, either threats from within or from without. The fact that they faced strong overwhelming external opposition at the same time that threatened theri very existance would give the impression of recklessness and foolishness on their part. Yet they're not that different to the western european neighbours.

The dearth of manpower was only a situation that became worse during the 13th Century compared to the 12th. Increased costs for maintaining ones fief, possessions and costs for warfare which werent matched (atleast by the secular nobility) by increased rentes from either landed fief or cash fiefs, even given a greater influx of wealth and coinage into the 13th Century Kingdom. The secualr nobility smply couldnt afford to maintain their positions and castles, resulting in the eventual mortgaging and selling of those properties and rights to the military orders, who ofcourse could afford to maintain them. Thus exponentialy increasing the Crusader States dependency upon them.

If they had have followed Raymond's advice they may certainly not have lost, at least at Hattin, but as with all medieval battle its avery chancey matter. Guy had been in command of the army in 1183 in a very similar position and he had been criticised for not advancing on Saladin then, in 1187 urged on by Gerard de Ridefort, to whom he partly owed his crown and position, he was in between a rock and a hard place.  Yet despite the disatser the Kingdom reovered, just took some 25 years.
Janissary
Janissary

Quote historynut91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2010 at 20:47
do you think the final fall of outremer was due to a lack of enthusiasm from people in europe to go on crusade since the last few outposts all fell within a relatively short space of time to the mamluks, perhaps it was inevitable that it would fall as it relied on increasing aid from europe, the muslims were united while Christendom for the most part wasn't.

not forgetting how the italian state traded vary profitably with egypt providing the timber and metal they used to build their siege engines
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2010 at 04:33
Not neccissarily so much a lack of enthusiasm on the Western part, though there may very well have been a decline in it. It was only 20 years since Louis IX and Edward II had launched crusades and arrivals from the west were still taking place. Perhaps it lacked the great enthusiasm that had accompanied Crusades 1-5. Spain and the Baltic offer the same rewards closer to home and cheaper.

Islam, as it was under Saladin was again united under Baibars and his successors, always a major threat to to the Kingdom of Jerusalem, overwhelming odds essentially.

Again not helped by the perenical manpower shortage exacerbated by the decrease in power and strenght of the secular nobility who simply couldnt afford it anymore, replaced by a greater dependency upon military orders who couldnt neccissarily field the men and troops required for the task.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2010 at 14:01
Dear DreamWeaver and historynut..!

I will respond to this question, but not here! It seems that since I follow a course not navigated by most of the powers in charge here, that I have to post in a safe or segregated area.

But, mostly I will concern those posts to the last few crusades, since they have the most important place in my view!

If you are interested, you will soon be able to view or read my intentions on the "alternative history" portion of this site!

The address is; http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28217

Which starts at the basic level, I.e., "the Sea peoples!" You must know that the last few crusades are invasions by crusaders "from / of the Sea!"
Regards,

Edited by opuslola - 04-May-2010 at 14:13
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2010 at 14:31
Originally posted by historynut91

i have started this topic so we can discuss all aspects of the crusades which i have recently begun taking a large interest in and look forward to any inputs

feel free to talk about anything on the them, the Reconquista, reasons for going, battles, individual characters or even a "what if" scenario as i feel they are vary misunderstood and am looking for calm mature debate about them because i am sick of biased people on youtube answering every question you put to them with a f**k you! 

here's a website with an excellent objective view on them looking at the whole picture

Thanks history Nut but maybe narrow down the topic because the crusades are a very complicated topic. I am not sure where to focus or what is important to you since you began this thread. Being half Greek the Fourth Crusade was the worse or to my ancestors on that side.

I am listening to "God Wills it" by Dr. Madden and I agree with the other user and I do not agree with all he says. I am also reading The First Crusade: The Chronicle of Fulcher of Chartres and other source material. Edited and with an intro from Edward Peters. It is very interesting reading the sermon given by Pope Urban II at the council of Clermont and the different versions.

Sometimes people put the cart before the horse and blame everything on the First Crusade but this conflict is older than the first Crusade which began 1095 A.D.
632 A.D.

http://portolanispecial.blogspot.com/2007/05/crusades-in-context.html

Also "The Politically Incorrect Guide to Islam and the Crusades" by Robert Spencer.

The Alexiad of Anna Comnena is a good source as well and one of my favorite books.

So:
what do you want to do???????????????????
How did it begin?
Armor of weapons of the crusaders
their favorite beer - etc

Edited by eaglecap - 04-May-2010 at 14:33
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2010 at 14:36
Good post eaglecap! Yes, the topic is too wide, seperated by hundreds of years,and dozens of popes and kings, etc.!

Restriction would be nice!
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2010 at 14:44
Originally posted by opuslola

Good post eaglecap! Yes, the topic is too wide, seperated by hundreds of years,and dozens of popes and kings, etc.!

Restriction would be nice!

I am asking them to pick a point in history or a topic and if they don't choose one then I will close this thread.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2010 at 15:17
Having read the web-site shown by "historynut91", I have certain reservations about these words; "Even with smart technologies, the United States has killed far more innocents in our wars than the Crusaders ever could. But no one would seriously argue that the purpose of American wars is to kill women and children."

It seems that "smart technologies" only existed within the last 20 or so years, even less? And, it is specific that the site mentioned only the United States! So, even with the mentions in crusader history of the massacre of entire cities men, women and children, over a period of hundreds of years, the author of the site has concluded that the United States has in less than 20 years "killed far more innocents in our wars than the Crusaders ever could.!"

I would classify those words as pejorative and inflamatory!

I certainly do not think the possession of "smart technology" has killed more "innocents" than the hundreds of years of crusading did!

Just how many "innocents" have been killed in the last 20 years by "smart technology?" A technology designed to do just the opposite!

It seems the author(s) are but another group of American haters!

But, it seems this is to be expected!

But, of course the writers of the site, obviously included the world wars and other wars that the USA has been involved with, where the number of "innocent deaths" are merely the result of greater populations and better death dealing weapons!

If the crusaders had similar weapons, the war in the Levant would have been over in close order! Infidels were expected to die! And, I don't think that any of the crusaders would have had the least worry about killing as many of these "innocent" people as possible!

Edited by opuslola - 04-May-2010 at 15:28
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2010 at 16:46
It is conceivable, indeed thechnically possible that the claim that the US has killed more people in thelast 20 years than the Crusades. For example I have been given estimates by charities and organisations like Amnesty International et al. that 600,000 Iraqis have died since 1991 as a result of 2 wars. in 1099 the massacre at Jerusalem kille 10,000 people. 100,000 people were alleged to have died at Acre 1189-91. Thus I find it possible that such a claim may either be true or have a good basis for argument. Problem ofcourse is nobody is exactly keeping track of crusade deaths, certainly not accurately anyway. Chroniclers are well known for hyperbole to merely give the sense of size and enormity, as opposed to accuracy. Either way its a bit off topic from the Crusades itself, so it might be better off elsewhere if its going to be discussed at length.

I should point out that Thomas F Madden, the authour of the article in it is American and from an American University.

Edited by DreamWeaver - 04-May-2010 at 16:48
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2010 at 16:54
Originally posted by eaglecap

I am listening to "God Wills it" by Dr. Madden and I agree with the other user and I do not agree with all he says. I am also reading The First Crusade: The Chronicle of Fulcher of Chartres and other source material. Edited and with an intro from Edward Peters. It is very interesting reading the sermon given by Pope Urban II at the council of Clermont and the different versions.

[/QUOTE]

HS Fink's translation of Fulcher of Chartres is a better one, I would recommend that.

The Speech given at Clermont by Urban in November 1095 is something of a mystery. All the accounts which record the speech given were all written after the success of the First Crusade. Thus begins the great debate on how much is recorded via hindsight in the light of such an amazing success. Was Jerusalem the original intended target, how big a role did it play, what were Urban's original intentions? All these come into question as a result.
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2010 at 17:01
I fail at quoting
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2010 at 17:05
Originally posted by DreamWeaver

Originally posted by eaglecap

HS Fink's translation of Fulcher of Chartres is a better one, I would recommend that. The Speech given at Clermont by Urban in November 1095 is something of a mystery. All the accounts which record the speech given were all written after the success of the First Crusade. Thus begins the great debate on how much is recorded via hindsight in the light of such an amazing success. Was Jerusalem the original intended target, how big a role did it play, what were Urban's original intentions? All these come into question as a result.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the source I will look into picking it up and thanks for the latter info! I was aware of this but thank you for sharing.

Fink's translation of Fulcher of Chartres
Is it still in print?
Janissary
Janissary

Quote historynut91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2010 at 17:32
i plan on getting "gods war" by tyerman and am currently reading "the templars" by michael haag, anyone else juggest a good book on the topic maybe someting from the first to fourth crusade
Thanks
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2010 at 04:33
Yes it is still in print.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Fink+Fulcher+Chartres&x=0&y=0

Thomas Asridges book on the First Crusade is alright as is John France's Victory in the East if you want to go down a militaty route of understanding. J. Phillips released a book on the Second Crusade which is again fairly good. Queller's work on the 4th Crusade still remains the best.

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2010 at 15:26
Originally posted by DreamWeaver

Yes it is still in print.http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Fink+Fulcher+Chartres&x=0&y=0Thomas Asridges book on the First Crusade is alright as is John France's Victory in the East if you want to go down a militaty route of understanding. J. Phillips released a book on the Second Crusade which is again fairly good. Queller's work on the 4th Crusade still remains the best.

I will have to check and see if Powell books has it.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2010 at 17:45
DreamWeaver wrote;

"For example I have been given estimates by charities and organisations like Amnesty International et al. that 600,000 Iraqis have died since 1991 as a result of 2 wars."

Yeah, I have also heard such figures! So, just how many of those casualities were members of Iraq's army and Air Force? Just how many of them were killed by their own commanders when they ran? Just how many of them died after looting Kuwait? Just how many of them died just watching "Shock and awe?", chuckle!

But, in real figures, the fact is that "no one knows?" Especially when it come to non-combatants!

Just how many Iraqui non-combatants have been killed by their "cousins?", in the religous warfare that still continues?

Certainly if the Iran / Irag war is of any meaning, it shows that death to anyone by either the forces of Iraq or Iran, is not worth keeping track of! The attitude of both of these combatants was "kill them all!"

I really doubt that US and Coalittion forces had the same attitude?

But, perhaps you have proof that I am wrong?

Regards,
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2010 at 06:40
Sorry but I fail to see what you are getting at ,or how anything Ive previosuly stated makes it entirely relavent?Especially to the topic it hand its rather tangential.

Edited by DreamWeaver - 06-May-2010 at 06:45
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>