Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wild West Gunfights

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Rate this Article:
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
5 [100.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Pytheus View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Pytheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wild West Gunfights
    Posted: 21-Apr-2010 at 15:01
I read a book many years ago that listed every single recorded gunfight in Wild West history. Almost all of them were done with shotguns and rifles, the shooter was usually within 3ft of his victim, the victim unarmed and half the time in the back.

This report pretty much says the same as the book,

Gun Fights in the Violent Wild West

The Insanity:

A gloriously mustached man sits at a card game in an old saloon, surrounded by cowboys and surprisingly fresh-faced prostitutes. He looks up, and notices that the player opposite him is hiding an extra card up his sleeve. He calls him on it, the word yellow is pronounced as 'yeller,' and pretty soon they're facing off in the city square. There's a long moment before the cheater moves for his hip holster, but he's not fast enough. Quick as lightning, the gambler draws his revolver and shoots the cheat dead between the eyes.

The cowboys and prostitutes go back to their drinks, well-accustomed to this sort of random violence, as the man nonchalantly twirls his pistol and says: "Guess he couldn't read my poker face."

A typical western saloon, moments before everyone in the room shot each other.

A hundred years of Westerns have taught us that this is how you lived and died in the Wild West. The quicker draw lived to gun-fight another day. It was essentially a roving single elimination rock, paper, scissors tournament that didn't end until you were dead.

But in Reality...

How many murders do you suppose these old western towns saw a year? Let's say the bloodiest, gun-slingingest of the famous cattle towns with the cowboys doing quick-draws at high noon every other day. A hundred? More?

How about five? That was the most murders any old-west town saw in any one year. Ever. Most towns averaged about 1.5 murders a year, and not all of those were shooting. You were way more likely to be murdered in Baltimore in 2008 than you were in Tombstone in 1881, the year of the famous gunfight at the OK Corral (body count: three) and the town's most violent year ever.

As for the traditional Western gunfight as depicted in movies, the inaccuracy of handguns at the time would have made quick-drawing skill irrelevant: It was simply so unlikely you'd hit a guy on the first, second or third shot that it didn't really matter which guy got out his gun first. The closest history got to high-noon show downs was dueling, where people just stood across from one another with their guns out, aimed and fired until someone got lucky, and someone else was dead. Forget about "fanning," rapidly cocking a single-action revolver between rounds like Clint Eastwood does in A Fistful of Dollars. You'd be lucky to hit a henchman if the duel took place in a closet.

Why Do We Believe It?

Because famous gunfighters like Billy the Kid wanted you to believe it. If you've seen Young Guns on cable, you probably know the guy was gunning somebody down every ten minutes!

"... then I was all like 'pow' 'pow' and all the minotaurs exploded!"

Well according to sources who aren't Billy The Kid, his lifetime kill count was four. Criminals inflated their murder stats for the same reason guys today inflate their sexual experience: It made them look cool. Towns like Deadwood talked up their violent, lawless natures in order to attract adventurous settlers. Books were written about them and movies were made as soon as cameras were invented, and nobody who'd been out west was rushing to correct the misconceptions because, why the hell would they. A century and a half later, we still love that lie.

We believe it because shooting a nameless bad guy in the heart is infinitely more satisfying than filing a complaint with the cops or writing a strongly worded letter to the editor. No checks and balances, no second guessing. Just you and a gun.

Pardon us, we have a certain Bon Jovi song we need to play right now.

Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2010 at 21:29

I think the article is fundamentally very accurate, but over simplified

Originally posted by Pytheus

IAs for the traditional Western gunfight as depicted in movies, the inaccuracy of handguns at the time would have made quick-drawing skill irrelevant:
Pistols and rifles were very accurate by the 1870s and 1880s (Annie Oakley).  A person with a zest for violenence and superior athletic ability in the area of eye- hand coordination could dominate lesser skilled opponents. Bill Hitchcock, for example, was recognized at an early age as having rare atheletic  gifts.  He had several verified long range pistol kills and kills against multiple armed opponents.
Originally posted by Pytheus

You were way more likely to be murdered in Baltimore in 2008 than you were in Tombstone in 1881, the year of the famous gunfight at the OK Corral (body count: three) and the town's most violent year ever.
Using statistics can be inconclusive. For example, what population groups is the comparison centered on. Tombstone to Baltimore as a whole?  Or....

Young single males with sporadic employment who reside in Baltimore's infamous "combat zone" and who are prone to carry weapons and who enjoy drinking alcohol, gambling while talking to local hookers at one in the morning.
                                     -to-
Young, sporadically employed single males residing in rooming houses on saloon row in Tombstone, Arizona in 1880.  They are armed and enjoy the same "past times" as their 2008 Baltimore Combat Zone equivelants.

In both sub populations, the yearly  fatality rate can be very high while the fatality rate in the over all populations of Baltimore and Tombstone can be very low.  

Edited by Cryptic - 23-Apr-2010 at 10:01
kalhur View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote kalhur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2010 at 23:16
well funny pizza western movies have given a very wrong image of cowboys.
the 6gun was like a tool for a cowboy. for butcherin slaying wounded cattle(cow punching) killing coytes and defending cattle from theives. actually there is branch of shooting sport called CAS( cowboy action shooting) and belive me after some training it isen't difficult to draw very fast and shoot rather accurately. like shooting and hitting empty cans at 10  yards range even with a 45 LC caliber.

Edited by kalhur - 21-Apr-2010 at 23:18
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2010 at 12:27
Asw proof to your last statement, please watch this, and watch quickly! laugh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TANC4VI8vF4

I would only face this quy if he were indeed facing away from me!
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
kalhur View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote kalhur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2010 at 13:06
well  he draws fast  for the sure, but there are some tricks too in very fast shooting often  the 45 shells are loaded with number 9 or even 11 shotsWink  making the sixgun a mini shotgunLOLand when shooting with bullets for card splintring  the cartridges  are very downloaded @  away lower than 600 fps  with light  powder charge to make  the recoil manageableBig smile but after all the guy is sure a fast draw and good shot too!! a lot of oil in the holster !!
azmo View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote azmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2010 at 07:04
Phew I thought there were people shot to death at least a few times a week.
Well I guess this is better after all :)
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2010 at 09:15
Originally posted by kalhur

well  he draws fast  for the sure, but there are some tricks too in very fast shooting often  the 45 shells are loaded with number 9 or even 11 shotsWink  making the sixgun a mini shotgunLOLand when shooting with bullets for card splintring  the cartridges  are very downloaded @  away lower than 600 fps  with light  powder charge to make  the recoil manageableBig smile but after all the guy is sure a fast draw and good shot too!! a lot of oil in the holster !!

Yes, some of that is true, for carnival and farm fair acts.  In real competition everything is checked and held to standard.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2010 at 14:01
Good answer red! I was never a competitive shooter, since I was not good enough to be one, but I was pretty good!

When I was on, on the pistol line, either inside or outside, my target hole was usually the size of a dessert plate or less!

Notice I said "hole", in my best, at an indoor range, my best would not show any single bullet holes at all! Just one ragged full hole, the size of my fist or less!

In real competition, there would have to be other targets standing behind the main one, to prevent a shooter from merely shooting a ragged hole with his first ten or twenty shots, and then fireing the rest of them into the ground! Targets standing ten or twenty feet or so behind the main target whould actually show the entire number of shots actually fired at the target!

Minute angles show up easily as the range increases!

I have always loved the various motion pictures and TV series that show the Secret Service Agents assigned to the President of the US, easily picked off by assailants! Hog wash! You guys who might tend to believe such, just do not understand that if any of these guys gets you in their sights, and the range is not considered as extrodinary, then they will be able to pop you right between your eyes, most every time!

Believe me, they are at least as good as I have described and today, probably better! These are guys that shoot one hole the size of a tea cup!

Regards,
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2010 at 17:36

When analyzing old west gun fights, one must keep in mind that shooting paper targets is far different than shooting moving opponents who are also firing back (especiall those opponents who know what they are doing).

Though many old west gun fights were drunken bushwackings, some demonstrated a lot of skill. 
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2010 at 19:17
I will cryptically reply, yes!
unclefred View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended, Historum joker

Quote unclefred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2010 at 14:17
One problem we have today is finding verifiable sources, records, of deaths. Not all shooting victims are to be found in the newspapers of the day, nor are the papers to be believed in all cases. Hickok himself was reported as killed at least twice in the papers long before his actual demise. There are oblique references to killings by Hickok (for example) in print that we can't verify because they were not officially recorded. Although it's clear that oral reports of the day are often innacurate, it's a mistake to discount them per policy. Lots of men died in the deserts and hills that were never officially witnessed. But men do tell the stories, and the word on the street is often accurate. 
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2010 at 20:47
Unclefred! Just how much faith can one place in the truth of what one reads in the press today?

You must understand that before the "inter-net" it was very hard to argue with the "trusted" press! Hence, the most trusted voice in America, for many years!

I feel he had a great deal to do with the loss of thousands of Amercian lives!

F-him!

"And thats the way it is, December 9th, 2010!"

Edited by opuslola - 09-Dec-2010 at 20:48
unclefred View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote unclefred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2011 at 13:50

Here's an account of a gunfight involving Clay Allison, typical of many old west fights:

On January 7, 1874, Clay killed gunman Chunk Colbert, a known gunslinger. olbert came to the area looking for a fight with Allison. Some say that Colbert fancied that he could outdraw and outshoot anyone, including Allison. Others say that he wanted revenge for his uncle, Zachary Colbert, the ferryman that Allison had pummeled at the Brazos River 9 years earlier. Reportedly, Colbert had already killed 6 men in Texas and bragged that Allison would be his seventh. Not giving away his motives, Colbert found Allison and the two spent most of the day together drinking and gambling on horse races.

That night Colbert invited Allison to dinner at the Clifton House and Allison accepted. Guessing that there might be trouble, Clay was very cautious but, the talk was friendly as they enjoyed a large meal spread out before them. When they were seated it Colbert laid his gun in his lap and Allison laid his gun on the table. After the meal was finished Colbert suddenly reached for his gun under the table and leveled it towards Allison. The perceptive Allison followed suit and when Colbert's gun nicked the table, the shot was deflected and Allison shot him in the head. Later Allison was asked why He had accepted to have a meal with him and answered, "Because I didn't want to send a man to hell on an empty stomach." Colbert was buried in an unmarked grave behind the Clifton House.

Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2011 at 14:09
Panache....old Clay had....panache. Probably only JW Hardin and Wild Bill had more.

CV
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2011 at 08:47
A gunslinger would have been more likely to shoot his opponent in the back than call him into the street out for a duel. Wild Bill and Jesse James were both killed this way

Edited by Nick1986 - 30-Mar-2011 at 08:47
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2011 at 11:05
Originally posted by Nick1986

A gunslinger would have been more likely to shoot his opponent in the back than call him into the street out for a duel. Wild Bill and Jesse James were both killed this way
So were many of Jesse Jame's victims.  If memory serves me right, his "victories" included many unarmed people including a bank teller, an immigrant who did not understand his orders, as well as Union soldiers who though armed, were shot from ambush after the confederate surrender.

As a multi cultural side note, I have a sneaking suspiscion that many samurai "duels" were sake fueled ambush slashings rather than sublime confrontations after haiku readings.

Edited by Cryptic - 30-Mar-2011 at 11:06
unclefred View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote unclefred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2011 at 12:23
Originally posted by Cryptic

Originally posted by Nick1986

So were many of Jesse Jame's victims.  If memory serves me right, his "victories" included many unarmed people including a bank teller, an immigrant who did not understand his orders, as well as Union soldiers who though armed, were shot from ambush after the confederate surrender.

As a multi cultural side note, I have a sneaking suspiscion that many samurai "duels" were sake fueled ambush slashings rather than sublime confrontations after haiku readings.
 LOL no doubt.   As for assassinations, yeah the really good gunmen got it that way. Hickok, Hardin, Ben Johnson, King fisher, even Pat Garret. 
unclefred View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote unclefred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2011 at 12:26

Here's a couple from the old Arizona papers:

December 14, 1879, Arizona Daily Star

"Last Tuesday night a shooting affair took place at Safford in which Louis Hancock was shot by John Ringo. It appears Ringo wanted Hancock to take a drink of whiskey, and he refused saying he would prefer beer. Ringo struck him over the head with his pistol and then fired, the ball taking effect in the lower end of the left ear, and passing through the fleshy part of the neck, half inch more in the neck, would have killed him. Ringo is under arrest. …. Moral -- when you drink with a man that is on a shoot, and he says 'whiskey,' don't you say 'beer.'"

May 26, 1881, Arizona Daily Star

"Desperado Gets it in the Neck at Galeyville: The notorious Curly Bill, the man who murdered Marshal White at Tombstone last fall and who has been concerned in several other desperate and lawless affrays in South Eastern Arizona, has at last been brought to grief and there is likely to be a vacancy in the ranks of out border desperados. The affair occurred at Galeyville Thursday. A party of 8 or 9 cowboys, Curly Bill and his partner Jim Wallace among the number, were enjoying themselves in their usual manner, when deputy Sheriff Breakenridge of Tombstone, who was at Galeyville on business, happened along.

Wallace made some insulting remark to the deputy at the same time flourishing his revolver in an aggressive manner. Breakenridge did not pay much attention to this "break" of Wallace but quietly turned around and left the party. Shortly after this, Curly Bill, who it would seem had a friendly feeling for Breakenridge, insisted that Wallace should go and find him and apologize for the insult given.

This Wallace was induced to do after finding Breakenridge he made the apology and the latter accompanied him back to the saloon where the cowboys were drinking. By this time Curly Bill who had drank just enough to make him quarrelsome, was in one of his most dangerous moods and evidently desirous of increasing his record as a man killer. He commenced to abuse Wallace, who, by the way, had some pretensions himself as a desperado and bad man generally and finally said, "You d-d Lincoln county s-of a b---, I'll kill you anyhow." Wallace immediately went outside the door of the saloon, Curly Bill following close behind him. Just as the latter stepped outside, Wallace, who had meanwhile drawn his revolver, fired, the ball entering penetrating the left side of Curly Bill's neck and passing through, came out the right cheek, not breaking the jawbone. A scene of the wildest excitement ensued in the town.

The other members of the cowboy party surrounded Wallace and threats of lynching him were made. The law abiding citizens were in doubt what course to pursue. They did not wish any more blood shed but were in favor of allowing the lawless element to "have it out" among themselves. But Deputy Breakenridge decided to arrest Wallace, which he succeeded in doing without meeting any resistance. The prisoner was taken before Justice Ellinwood and after examination into the facts of the shooting he was discharged.

The wounded and apparently dying desperado was taken into an adjoining building, and a doctor summoned to dress his wounds. After examining the course of the bullet, the doctor pronounced the wound dangerous but not necessarily fatal, the chances for and against recovery being about equal. Wallace and Curly Bill have been Partners and fast friends for the past 4 or 6 months and so far is known, there was no cause for the quarrel, it being simply a drunken brawl."

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2011 at 14:30
Yep but that was not panache....maybe good tactics but not panache.
Wink
CV

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 30-Mar-2011 at 14:31

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2011 at 18:52
Here's one I always liked simply because he was typical of the era...

S. T. Friedman

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>