Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Iranian Diversity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
Author
Shield-of-Dardania View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Shield-of-Dardania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Iranian Diversity
    Posted: 25-Apr-2010 at 23:50
Originally posted by Molokane

Has anyone taken into consideration of the Greeks/Byzantines and Russian influences in Persia? Greeks have been at war with the Persians since the beginning of time and it's safe to say people did pillage a lot of the areas back in the day. And the Russo-Persian wars did dwell for centuries to come in the North part of Iran. Perhaps that's why the North is much lighter than the rest of Iran? After all it just takes a few minutes to implant your seed.
Rape, pillage and plunder. The spoils of war.

Well, whatever 'implantations' that occurred would have occurred in both directions. Cos neither the Greeks nor the Russians were on the winning side all the time against the Persians.

The Macedonians, for example, were whupped by the Persians under General Marduniya (Mardonius) and submitted to Persian hegemony during the time of Daraya (Darius) and Khashayar Shah (Xerxes). Khashayar Shah even married a Macedonian princess, a sister of Alexander I, an ancient ancestor of Philip. So he would have had not a few minutes, but many, many happy, enjoyable years of of slow, unhurried 'implantations'.Approve

For all ya know, considering the penchant among royalty to marry amongst their own kind, an offspring of that royal Persian-Macedonian union could very well have contributed to the ancestry of Philip, thereby making Alexander the Great a descendant of Khashayar Shah (Xerxes).Smile

Edited by Shield-of-Dardania - 28-Apr-2010 at 18:30
History makes everything. Everything is history in the making.
Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2010 at 17:16

According to Greek historians. There were a couple million Persians at Thermapylae that is more than all the population of Greece at the time if not all Europe. With that logic all of Europe is Persian.

In reality war by themselves did not change the demographics by much. If that was not the case most of Eastern Europe would have looked Mongolian by now

Molokane View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Molokane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2010 at 17:40
Originally posted by Miller

According to Greek historians. There were a couple million Persians at Thermapylae that is more than all the population of Greece at the time if not all Europe. With that logic all of Europe is Persian.

In reality war by themselves did not change the demographics by much. If that was not the case most of Eastern Europe would have looked Mongolian by now

That's very interesting. Who and how many historians claimed this event? And when did this happen exactly?

If we can obtain the year of the battle (I assume it's a battle) we can source the approximate number of Europeans at the time and free lance theory from there.

Edited by Molokane - 26-Apr-2010 at 17:41
kalhur View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote kalhur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2010 at 12:06
russian have higher  R1a y hg then iranian . the r1a is old iranian y hg that means a lotWink we have a kind of brotherhood att that areaLOL
in Europe, R1a, again almost entirely in the R1a1a sub-clade, is found at highest levels among peoples of Eastern European descent (Sorbs, Poles, Russians and Ukrainians; 50 to 65%).[13][14][15] In the Baltic countries R1a frequencies decrease from Lithuania (45%) to Estonia (around 30%).[16] Levels in Hungarians have been noted between 20 and 60% [17]

Edited by kalhur - 27-Apr-2010 at 12:08
Consul
Consul
Suspended

Quote Shield-of-Dardania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2010 at 20:21
@Miller & Molokane:

Historians always highly, highly inflate the number of opposing forces, thereby highly, highly inflating the heroism of their own home forces. Especially, especially when their home forces won, as in the Battle of Thermopylae.
Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2010 at 22:18
Originally posted by Molokane

That's very interesting. Who and how many historians claimed this event? And when did this happen exactly? If we can obtain the year of the battle (I assume it's a battle) we can source the approximate number of Europeans at the time and free lance theory from there.

480 BC

Per Herdotous the size of Persian force was about 2.5 mil with another 2.5 mil doing the support work

Edited by Miller - 27-Apr-2010 at 22:22
Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2010 at 22:25
Originally posted by Shield-of-Dardania

@Miller & Molokane:

Especially, especially when their home forces won, as in the Battle of Thermopylae.

home forces won?
Molokane View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Molokane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2010 at 22:47
Originally posted by kalhur

russian have higher  R1a y hg then iranian . the r1a is old iranian y hg that means a lotWink we have a kind of brotherhood att that areaLOL
in Europe, R1a, again almost entirely in the R1a1a sub-clade, is found at highest levels among peoples of Eastern European descent (Sorbs, Poles, Russians and Ukrainians; 50 to 65%).[13][14][15] In the Baltic countries R1a frequencies decrease from Lithuania (45%) to Estonia (around 30%).[16] Levels in Hungarians have been noted between 20 and 60% [17]

I have read that Iranic people contribute to the Slavic races like the early Iranic peoples who settled in Croatia, Russia, and Ukraine. I have also read that an ancient Indo-European people called the Phrygians roamed through the balkans of Asia minor who then contributed to the Slavic races, in addition to the Finno-Uralics, Greeks and Turks. Being Slavic is simply a collaboration of cultures established through a unique language; in this case, it being Balto-Slavic. I think North Iran in its own way is partial to Slavicism. The Molokans and the Doukhobors and many slaves from the Volga trade route helped preserve Iranic cultures especially in the regions of Khorasan and Azerbaijan. 

I know the Molokans and the Doukhobors have kept their own tribes, but they are now an endangered minority in Azerbaijan and also having traveled to Canada, California, and Mexico. 
kalhur View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote kalhur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2010 at 23:52
the R1a y dna in slavic peoples are suposed to be from north iranian tribes like scyths. amazing is the concentration of R1a  among slavic speaking peoples and even some asiatic people like kergyz is much higher than mother land iranBig smile sorbs have nearly 63% Shocked it seems it was a  historical period in the past that peoples in the world cuddledWink a lot whith each otherLOL maybe when they were all nomades  tribes and have their tents too near to each otherLOL

Edited by kalhur - 27-Apr-2010 at 23:56
Consul
Consul
Suspended

Quote Shield-of-Dardania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2010 at 00:26
Well, Kal, it was like, you try my wine, I try yours. You ride my horse, I ride yours.

You try my mother's beef ghoulash, I try your mother's chicken chilli concarne.

You let me have my way with your sister, I let you have your way with mine.

Approve

Edited by Shield-of-Dardania - 28-Apr-2010 at 03:22
Consul
Consul
Suspended

Quote Shield-of-Dardania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2010 at 00:36

home forces won?
Well they lost at Thermopylae, the Persian forces of Khashayar Shah (Xerxes) simply overwhelmed them. All the more reason for them to inflate the enemy strength even more.

But they won later, at the Battle of Plateae, where they somehow managed to hoodwink General Marduniya (Mardonius) into thinking they had lost and retreated. In his perhaps clouded exuberance, Marduniya gave chase alone, and they turned back and killed him.

There is also speculation that Alexander I (ancestor of Philip), then king of Macedonia and supposedly a loyal vassal of Persia (his sister was married to Khashayar Shah) may have turned traitor and betrayed his Persian overlords. 

Edited by Shield-of-Dardania - 28-Apr-2010 at 03:26
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2010 at 02:20
I know the Molokans and the Doukhobors have kept their own tribes, but they are now an endangered minority in Azerbaijan and also having traveled to Canada, California, and Mexico.
The story of Russian Molokan immigrants who built school and church in a village in the northeast of Iran has been always interesting for me: http://www.molokane.org/molokan/Locations/Iran/Kubrock.htm
kalhur View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote kalhur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2010 at 03:00
 i have  read about them , very fascinating people with strong belief which had suffered a lot from mainstream  ortodox church .
 anyway accused for drinking milkShocked instead av vodka which is a unforgivable heracyBig smile in russia!!!
it is unbelivable how people can be so harsh on their own brothers only for a little difference in belif!!
what is so different between  molokanes and ortodox  church?
maybe molokan can answer to this question?

Edited by kalhur - 28-Apr-2010 at 09:51
Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2010 at 10:08
Originally posted by Shield-of-Dardania

home forces won?
Well they lost at Thermopylae, the Persian forces of Khashayar Shah (Xerxes) simply overwhelmed them. All the more reason for them to inflate the enemy strength even more.

But they won later, at the Battle of Plateae, where they somehow managed to hoodwink General Marduniya (Mardonius) into thinking they had lost and retreated. In his perhaps clouded exuberance, Marduniya gave chase alone, and they turned back and killed him.

There is also speculation that Alexander I (ancestor of Philip), then king of Macedonia and supposedly a loyal vassal of Persia (his sister was married to Khashayar Shah) may have turned traitor and betrayed his Persian overlords. 

If Greek historians exaggerated the number of the enemy by that much. What else do you think they could have exaggerated. Maybe what happened at Plateae, or maybe the reason the enemy withdrew and wen back home. I guess common sense should always be added to historical documents not just selectively Wink

kalhur View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote kalhur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2010 at 10:48
an army of that magnitude should have an enormous logistical problem even in our days it is nearly impossible to move 1 million soldiers around. i beleive all those historical books are very very much biasedLOL
Molokane View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Molokane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2010 at 16:41
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

The story of Russian Molokan immigrants who built school and church in a village in the northeast of Iran has been always interesting for me: http://www.molokane.org/molokan/Locations/Iran/Kubrock.htm

Is there a word for Molokan in Farsi, Cyrus?
Consul
Consul
Suspended

Quote Shield-of-Dardania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2010 at 17:43

If Greek historians exaggerated the number of the enemy by that much. What else do you think they could have exaggerated. Maybe what happened at Plateae, or maybe the reason the enemy withdrew and wen back home. I guess common sense should always be added to historical documents not just selectively Wink
Pretty much everything else, I'd say. For in those days, embellishment was, invariably, the order of the day.

Even today, with massive aircraft carriers, ginormous Hercules transport planes etc., moving a 2 miilion-man army around is fraught with logistical challenges. Let alone in those days of horse carriages, wind-and-man powered ships and mostly pedestrian armies of 480 BC.

Not even a country with as big a population as China or India ever managed to mobilise a 2-million man army in 500 BC. That's just ridiculous.

Even when Japan was in danger of being swamped by Kublai Khan's Korean-asssisted Mongol naval invaders in the late 13th century, they had at best only 20,000 warriors defending the entire shoreline under attack. Japan was eventually rescued by the legendary 'Kami Kaze' (Divine Wind), a violent seastorm that seemingly suddenly brewed up out of nothing to throw the Mongol invasion into complete disarray.

The name 'Kami Kaze', of course, was later used for the elite Japanese suicide pilot squads of WWII.

Edited by Shield-of-Dardania - 28-Apr-2010 at 20:42
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2010 at 18:41
In the above case, as with so many more cases, I can only concurr! It seems that the ability of any nation to be able to move forces much above 100,000 only existed in the 17th century CE, or later!

And, if we consider the words concerning the number of forces employed during warfare, from our "ancient sources" as "incorrect", then just why should we consider anything else they reportedly "reported!", as having any thing to do with "fact" or "truth?"

Just some musings!
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Molokane View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Molokane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2010 at 19:20
*edit

Edited by Molokane - 28-Apr-2010 at 19:58
Molokane View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Molokane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2010 at 19:21
Originally posted by kalhur

i have  read about them , very fascinating people with strong belief which had suffered a lot from mainstream  ortodox church .
 anyway accused for drinking milkShocked instead av vodka which is a unforgivable heracyBig smile in russia!!!
it is unbelivable how people can be so harsh on their own brothers only for a little difference in belif!!
what is so different between  molokanes and ortodox  church?
maybe molokan can answer to this question?

Well, I am a Molokan through my mother's side who is also Turkish and Iranian. Her mother and her father are cousins (disgusting I know) limiting my family tree. My two great grandfathers were brothers from Azerbaijan from Slavesdan, Azerbaijan that interrmarried with the Azeri Turks adopting their culture and language. They then immigrated to Urmia and Tabriz having settled in Abadan and Jahrome where my grandparents were born. My great grandmother had red hair and blue eyes and she was extremely tall. Though this is what they think. I wish it was confirmed 100% though, because I don't like semi-confident claims.

But to answer your question, the difference between them is their way of living. They were highly criticized for their fasting and diet supplements of dairy products. They're basically like Amish people. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>